The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have a vague memory of being 5 or so and riding in the car with my father. The family car was a late-80s Mercury and it didn't have a passenger airbag, so I was allowed to ride up front. I don't remember where we were going, but I had a ring full of old keys my mother had given me, and I was holding one that had the Chrysler Pentastar on it--this was when I was obsessed with cars and trucks--and was pretending to drive as my dad drove around.

I remember passing at least one intersection with a blue sign pointing toward a police station, so I'm guessing we were in Bexley (a super-rich suburb adjacent to the impoverished Whitehall), which is the only place in the area that I can think of with such signs.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm tired.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Funny, I'm wide awake. I actually found it weird that it's as late as it is and I'm still so alert.

...Mind if I ramble a bit?
    No.
    Well then...

The Chrysler Pentastar key was my favorite of the keys. I don't know what car it originally went to, but I imagine it was long gone by the time Mother gave me the key. You see, the Chrysler Pentastar was one of my favorite logos as a kid--I think I kinda liked the fact that it was simple but also instantly recognizable. And I found it fascinating that it was, at the time, featured prominently on Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge vehicles.

...My mother's cousins lived in the other half of the duplex. They had two Plymouth Voyagers, an older blue one and a newer, nicer red one. I always loved to ride in them, though this mainly happened when the family's Mercury was dead and my mother would borrow her cousins' vans.
    Using the same logo on three seemingly-distinct brands is weird to me.

I'm not sure how Chrysler and Plymouth were supposed to be distinct, though.
  • edited 2011-10-21 02:32:09
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Plymouth was positioned as the basic/"cheap" (for lack of a better word) brand, while Chrysler was/is more of a "luxury" brand.

Think Ford and Mercury.
    Wikipedia says that by the time DaimlerChrysler shut down Plymouth production, it was pretty redundant with Chrysler and Dodge.
    I believe that. At the time of its discontinuation, Plymouth's only models were the Breeze (rebadged Dodge Stratus/Chrylser Sebring), the Voyager/Grand Voyager (rebadged Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town & Country), the Neon (rebadged Dodge Neon), and the Prowler (which was continued as a Chrylser, but only for a year or two).
    (You posted right as I clicked on the thread)

...why bother rebadging? Saving money?
  • edited 2011-10-21 03:01:01
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, think of it as offering the same car at multiple price points with varying features, but using their established brands to do so. If you want "luxury", you buy Chrysler. If you want "performance", you buy Dodge. If you just want the basic, you buy Plymouth, etc.

At least nowadays they bother adding some differences in the styling. Back then...well, this is a Plymouth Grand Voyager, this is a Dodge Grand Caravan, and this is a Chrylser Town & Country. Yeah.
    That's a strange approach to me.
    It seems to be a pretty common one, though. Ford with Mercury and Lincoln, Toyota with Lexus, etc.
    I'm reading a little about Toyota's Scion marque now.
    You know, it took me forever to figure out that this thing was supposed to be a "T":

Dad said it was supposed to be a bull's head.
  • edited 2011-10-21 03:33:19
    Eh, I can almost see it...but no.
    Reading older Trash Heap (real thread) posts makes me want to go back to the TC@A.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I HAVE READ ALL THE THREADS!
    Did you read every page of this made in your absence?

Not this thread, that's a bit more reading than I'm willing to indulge in.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    MOO MEANS MOO
    THE WB
    WWHO
    THE WHO
    DOCTOR WHO
    DOCTOR MCCOY
    the year 2000
    the year 1999
    the year 1998
    the year 1977
    Why did I make this?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Paid for by the Drew Soicher foundation
    Because you thought it would be funny?
    Who is Drew Scorcher
    This.

(warning: tries too hard to be funny.)
    Let's Taste America
    *smacks AU* Get that thing out of your mouth, you don't know where it's been
    You think it's dirty?
    Well, let me put it this way. It's Wal-Mart. Do you think it's dirty?
    I gave away the stalks today.
    You still read the thread, AU?
    Sometimes.
    Yes, both of you got stalks.

...I wonder if this means I should end this gimmick.
    Someone needs to buy RetailByRyan95 a Flickr Pro account so we can properly search all his photos, instead of just the last 200.
    That's a dumb restriction.