The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Just got caught up on "Post your random thoughts."

I need another drink...

Not that this is all that different from any other weekend when I've got not a lot on my plate...except for the part where I feel apprehensive about it...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You should drink for AMERICA.

I'm always drinking for AMERICA! in my heart.

But my next drink will involve an AMERICAN! beverage regardless.
    Like what?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm back!

You see, my mother had a big long grocery list, and we were both still wide awake, so we figured, why not get it over with?

Probably Bourbon. it's about as American as you can get...no wait...I DO have some Sam Adam's beer... but I had some of that already...

Oh! Southern Comfort! That'll make me want to salute American Sam and hang out with crying eagles! 

"You see, my mother had a big long grocery list, and we were both still wide awake, so we figured, why not get it over with?"

"Fuck YEAH! Let's go grocery shopping!" 

That honestly sounds like pretty fun.

See, this is why I read Myr's thread about that dude that hates life and think:

Grocery shopping at stupid AM on a weekend sounds like "fun times".
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It was actually a lot of fun. It's nice to spend time with my mother, sometimes, and I've always been fascinated with how completely different a big store like Meijer feels in the middle of the night than during the day.

Wal-mart also seems a lot more fun when there's not much people to have to navigate past to grab the things you want. 

I guess that sounds rather anti-social of me, but frankly, I don't go out grocery shopping to mingle.
    Do most people?

Hmm...I guess not, that'd be pretty scary to think that someone goes out to "make friends" by hitting the local grocery store.

That's what the local bar is for!
    It's like a total ghost-town at night. And it looks strangely "unfinished", like you're seeing "behind the scenes" with all the employees going around stocking shelves and changing price tags and stuff.

Also we learned one of the "secrets" of Meijer, namely that Saturday's sale prices end at midnight but Sunday's sale prices don't go into effect until 6 AM. The cashier was nice, though, so she gave us the sale price 3 hours early because we didn't know the rule.

That's nice, otherwise there's at least six hours of "fuck YOU" time.
    Given that a typical Meijer is roughly the size of a typical Wal-Mart Supercenter, I imagine it takes a few hours for the handful of employees who work that shift to go around and change the sale tags throughout the whole store.

I'm guessing that's the rationale, at least.
    I love Heart of Our City's Sports theme, even though it's almost the same as/cookie-cuttered from Pride Collection's Sports theme. (The main changes made were that Heart of Our City's musical logo got put at the start and end of the main guitar sequence, and that it is mixed in here and there. Pride Collection's musical logo is less prominent, and in fact barely distinguishable.)
    I don't understand why this was ever allowed:
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:33:01
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

If it's sale tags they had already changed though, then the cashier probably didn't have a choice (not that it wasn't a nice thing for her giving the sale prices without much of an argument, assuming there wasn't one). 

I'm wonder when their machines switch to the sale prices.  

^Wow...what is the point even?
    Seems like a strange practice.
  • When my friends come to visit from England they treat Wal-Mart as a tourist activity and absolutely love going there.  I personally find it torture after 2yrs of living here in the States .  I always get stuck behind some fat chick in one of those zimmer-carts who shouldn't wear shorts ANY TIME OF THE YEAR and insists on boggarting the aisle with all her laziness.  (I don't hate fat people, I just want the lazy ones to not be in my line of sight... ever).

I've never been to Meijer, is it any less soul-destroying then Wal-Mart?
    Yeah, I never understood it. Putting a second stop sign at the left-hand side of the road makes sense, but on the same pole?
    If it's sale tags they had already changed though, then the cashier
    probably didn't have a choice
    It wasn't--my mother saw that the sale tags weren't out, so she asked a nearby employee to check the price for her, and she told us the sale price. It seems the other employee mistakenly looked up the price they would be putting the tags up for instead of the price it would ring up as now.
    I've never been to Meijer, is it any less soul-destroying then Wal-Mart?
    I think so, at least. It's a bit more "upscale" than Wal-Mart (albeit only slightly so), and it doesn't attract the "People of Walmart"-type crowds.
  • Which areas in the US are they in?  I haven't seen one in Oregon or Washington.

At our local Fredie's, people occasionally use those little carts to get all the way to their cars and just leave them in the parking spots.

Seriously, at one point can't we make it legal to drag people to the middle of the street and beat them publically? 
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:53:33
    BEEFCAKE
    Thanks anon. Buh my pregnancy indigestion is back.... Buuuurhya.

^ But they cost monies...  You should also warn people that our local Freddies isn't exactly situated in the best of areas.
    It's 5:30 AM.

I've been up since about 1:30 in the afternoon.

And I am completely wakeful and not at all inclined to go to bed.

Bluh.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I'm up now.

It's 11:31 AM.
    Time for today's photodump:

This is the Roses on Main Street in Whitehall. I would have taken more pictures, but the entire store pretty much looks like that.

The only other item of note is this lighted section on the ceiling, above where the checkouts would have been when this was a Big Bear store.

A very old text-only "CENTER LANE LEFT TURN ONLY" sign. There are several of these on Main Street in Whitehall.

A brick-wall-sign-thing marking the border to Reynoldsburg. It's not nearly as hard to read in real life as it is in that photo.

Most of Reynoldburg's more recent traffic light installations are these overly fancy mast arms.

And finally, there's nothing special about this, but I thought it was a pretty picture.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    paid for by the george costanza foundation
    That last one is pretty cool-looking, yes.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    when i go to britain, i will wear a bowler hat, a claymore, a Civil War breastplate, Saxon trousers, and a Jacobean haircut and impress everyone

Sounds like some sort of post apocalyptic RPG character. 
    ...oh thank god, I'm not the only one who thinks Rowan Atkinson vaguely resembles Tony Shalhoub.
  • "when i go to britain, i will wear a bowler hat, a claymore, a Civil War breastplate, Saxon trousers, and a Jacobean haircut and impress everyone"

I hope you're prepared to be admitted into a mental health facility.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Everyone here gets a free unicycle.
    Ooh!

...what can I do with mine?
    ^ Offer quality merchandise at low prices

It says "Lingerie" in the background.

This is not something I should point out.
    Going to the zoo.
    Bye.
    Coming back from the zoo.
    How was it?
    Boring as always. But I liked the hippopotamus.
    What about the pandas?
    That's more Jumpingzombie's thing.
  • edited 2011-10-23 22:48:13
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wondered if you would catch that.

Hippos kill over 300 people a year and...

D'waaaa....
    I like hippos.

Hungry hungry hippos.
    They eat society for dinner.