The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When I first started watching and I had torrented the episodes I'd saved mine, but now when I make avatars I'm usually just watching the episodes on YouTube, which means I would have to make and save two crops of each one--the avatar itself, and the screenshot with the rest of the browser cut out.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    -kicks tree-
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Does it have apples?
    Many apples, every one of which falls neatly into the buckets I placed beneath the tree.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So Columbus has its own Jack FM station now, that being WJKR.

This wouldn't even be notable to me, except during the road trip back in July we listened to WQJK in the Knoxville area, and I remember liking the format.

...I do a lot more radio-listening now that I drive.
    ...They all seem to use that, too.
    This might be a silly-sounding thing to say, but that CBS one seems to better fit the mental image I get from the on-air branding.
    ...which was?
    The mental image, you mean? Well, I kinda picture the voiceovers being done by a white guy with stubble and very little hair, sitting in a darkly-painted office with a mug of coffee.

...This probably sound stupid.
    I sure am glad I don't listen to the radio anymore.
    Why, Imi?
    Neon signs like this were once a standard along the New Jersey Turnpike.

Apparently, though, they're now planning to remove them all and replace them with the more typical electronic VMS's you see everywhere else.
    I don't like most of the songs, I don't want to sit through commercials and DJ chatter, I can get more enjoyment using Mp3 and CDs so I can hear whatever I want. Hell, I have thousands of songs on my computer, a lot of it so obscure that radio'd never play it.
    ...My car has only a tape player and a radio, and I don't own any tapes. I don't have a lot of options.
    My old car was like that. Except the tape player didn't even work.

...I pity you, my friend.
    ...and now you've got me wondering whether the tape player even works, which is going to drive me crazy for the rest of forever.

Thanks a lot, Imi.
    Well, get a tape and try it. Surely they must have them somewhere...
    My mother has some somewhere. I could probably dig one out but I'm lazy.
    Mother used to have this Bruce Springsteen tape.

There was one song that almost invariably inexplicably made me cry. I don't remember its name.
    There is precisely one Springsteen song I like. The odds are against it being that one.
    Miramax Films has wormed its way into my mind.

...I keep wondering what they'll do now that Disney doesn't own them anymore. Their primary function now appears to be resting on their laurels and occasionally exploiting said laurels for sequels.
    The idea of them not being owned by Disney is still strange to me.
    Why?

...what about the idea of ABC and ESPN not being owned by Disney?
    Probably just because they were owned by Disney for the greater part of my lifetime so far.

ABC not being owned by Disney I could see, if only because I'm old enough to remember when Disney bought them.
    Disney has also made it evident that they don't care about ABC anymore.

I never hear anything about any attempts of theirs to get out of third place (though maybe they're obvious enough that they are never said to be such), and CBS and Fox are impenetrable brick walls most of the time anyway.
    The weirdest thing about this is that the front of the building and the sign in the parking lot had the 2008 logo:
    (As seen from I-40/I-75 in Knoxville)
    It took until this year for the Green Wal-Mart to update its exterior signage. Until then, it had the previous logo, with "SUPERCENTER" added below it.
    Is it Wal-Mart or Walmart?
  • edited 2011-10-19 01:29:56
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    At last check (which was just a few weeks ago), the one on Morse Road still has its original 1994 signage, albeit with the "SUPERCENTER" that was added when it was expanded in 2000 or so.

^ It was "Wal-Mart", but since 2008 they've been spelling it as "Walmart".
    ^^It is officially written as "Wal-Mart", but the post-2008 logo writes it as "Walmart".
    Just wondering since I've seen it both ways.
    ...I have a sudden craving to go to Kmart.
    I read that as "I have a sudden craving to go Kart." As in Mario Kart.
    Ooh, Kmart Kart!
    Driving around the aisles, knocking things off the shelves, throwing shells at employees? Sure, great time.
    I never really cared for Kmart that much.

...Also the Franklin County Auditor's website says the Morse Road Wal-Mart was remodeled in 2007. That's a lot more recent than I thought. I guess that explains why it hasn't received the post-2008 facelift yet.
    Before it was a Big Kmart I got a Tales From Beatrix Potter tape from there. (I think it was Volume Two or something.)

And now my mind links it with Lionsgate.
  • edited 2011-10-19 01:52:42
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I vaguely remember when they rebranded a bunch of Kmarts as Big Kmart, including pretty much all of them around Columbus. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid, because (a) none of the stores that became "BIG" actually increased in size, and (b) I associated "Big K" with Kroger brand sodas.

Also I was a bit saddened because the (long since demolished) Kmart on Broad Street in Whitehall had still had the pre-1990 logo as its sign, but the "Big Kmart" sign replaced it.
    The Big Kmart in Aurora is just a Kmart again. I think one of the signs said "BIG Kmart" for a while, though.
    They seem to have dropped the "Big Kmart" distinction altogether when they introduced the 2004 logo.

...The interior of the Kmart nearest the house is a strange mix of the old signage that was put up when it became a "Big Kmart", and a few elements of the newer design. I don't really like it...I should get some pictures the next time I'm in there.
    Mother doesn't like the store nearest us.

Last time we were there (about two years ago) she said somebody in there looked high and there was a person who looked like a prostitute.
    My mother doesn't like Kmart in general.

Ironic, given that I owe my existence to the place. My parents met when they were both working as cashiers at the store near Eastland Mall.
    OH MY GOD A PROSTITUTE

I gotta go say something in another thread.
    My parents used to work at Denver General Hospital, I think it's name is (they never called it that, usually calling it just "DG").
    ...and NOW the tiredness hits me.

Or, rather, re-hits me.
    MANCHILDERY
    It's The Best
  • edited 2011-10-19 02:45:09
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Let's go back to February, when Homestuck and Ponies were CRACK.

...but this place didn't exist then. Neither did OFH, without which this place would not exist.