• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I was never good at multiplying by 16.

For 50*160, had to turn it into 5*8=40.

For 15*60 had to turn it into hours.
  • kill living beings
    Me neither, but powers of two are pretty solid in my head
  • 50*160 can be easily solved by converting to 100*80 = 8000.
  • I looked at that multiplication problem and my mind just shut down. Maybe it's because it's been a while since I've had to do arithmetic on the fly.

But yeah, I'd probably just go "okay, it's basically just 160*160, which is just 25600. If they want something more accurate, I'll find some pen and paper or something".
  • And this is just making me glad I just use a calculator. ._.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I just kinda work it out on paper...except instead of using paper, I draw it out in the air with my finger.

:shrug:
  • I'd use my phone, you nerds.
  • kill living beings
    but the calculator app sucks!
  • 157x163

---
    -----
    (2015 self)
    One last thought before I go to bed; thank you all.

I look at my posts from years back, from TV tropes and here, at some of the rents I went on, and the grudges I held, and the preconceived notions and prejudices I had, and I want to thank you all for putting up with me and considering me a friend through good times and bad.

Yarrun, Odra, Kexruct, Sredni, Jane, Naney, Imipolex, Tre, Fossil, Glen, Section, Crystal, Tachyon, everyone else I haven't the time to type before 10:00, y'all have known me for years, and, well, thank you.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Happily~
  • You're welcome.  I'm glad that you and your perspectives on things were in my life, too.
  • 👌👏👌👏
    (2015 self)
    (I've been to Jackson.  It's one of my favorite places to go on vacation.  Several people I grew up with moved there after high school for work so as to get money for college here.  The idea of the general internet not knowing of Jackson is weird.  It's like learning that somebody has never heard of Orlando, Florida, or Rexburg or Provo or Vegas.)

Moved here because it doesn't fit in the sandbags thread where Jackson was mentioned.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    There is a Chicago-based dronecore band named after my hometown, which is weird
  • edited 2017-06-12 23:57:35
    Aliroz said:

(I've been to Jackson.  It's one of my favorite places to go on vacation.  Several people I grew up with moved there after high school for work so as to get money for college here.  The idea of the general internet not knowing of Jackson is weird.  It's like learning that somebody has never heard of Orlando, Florida, or Rexburg or Provo or Vegas.)

Moved here because it doesn't fit in the sandbags thread where Jackson was mentioned.

I think the "headline" name for the location, in most people's minds, is "Yellowstone", the same way people don't speak of visiting Rapid City, but instead speak of visiting Mt. Rushmore.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

There is a Chicago-based dronecore band named after my hometown, which is weird

I need to know this one.
    (2015 self)
    Movie Genres that don't exist but should

Robert Downey Junior / James Spader buddy comedies.

Harrison Ford Gets Beat up by a One-Armed Man.
  • edited 2017-06-16 03:35:10
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Opinion:  It's been years since I've heard talk about Breaking Bad, The Wire, or any Drug-dealers-as-Superhero-Masterminds "deconstruction" of society and the War On Drugs.  Did everybody just lose interest or something, or is this one of those things where people don't have the same interests for their entire lives?
    There isn't one airing right now

Most of the big shows I can think of now are either fantasy, SF, or just not drug related
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I feel like anything about drug dealing would probably end up being accused of being a Breaking Bad ripoff anyways
  • edited 2017-06-16 04:36:57
    Aliroz said:

Opinion:  It's been years since I've heard talk about Breaking Bad, The Wire, or any Drug-dealers-as-Superhero-Masterminds "deconstruction" of society and the War On Drugs.  Did everybody just lose interest or something, or is this one of those things where people don't have the same interests for their entire lives?

I thought it was just last year that Breaking Bad was still being talked about?
    i dunno when it aired though
    (2015 self)
    Opinion: the "everyone is morally ambiguous and cynicism is sophisticated" worldview throughout a lot of popular fiction is a lot less interesting now than it was when I was younger.

There's only so many times I can get disillusioned with a fictional world before it stops being a surprise. Animorphs, Harry Potter, A Series Of Unfortunate Events, all of them repeated kicks to the teeth. I was younger then, more trusting, less critical.
  • kill living beings
    yeah same

usually i just read things that are interesting for other reasons, but now straight hero villain bullshittery seems subversive
    (2015 self)
    ~singing~  

I liiiiiiiiike society! / The social contract's good, /  for you and me!

Dilemmas have solutions, / as well they should! / We don't need revolutions, / and never ever could!

Virtue, truth and reason / define mankind (you see).  / Assembling is treason / it poisons the mind (truly)!

Keep your speech pure / and find a cure (quickly)/ for alternative thought/ 'cause all is as it ought (to be)!

We all have obligation / to comfort the hurt, / freedom is frustration / Help a friend out of doubt

Make tomorrow better than today / no more sorrow / hip hip hooray, we all should obey!

(2015 self)
    If anybody ever thinks I'm cool and the situation calls for that notion to be falsified, the previous post should prove useful.
    mwahahaha! I still think you're cool!
    (2015 self)
    Sue the gumshoe, Sue the Gumshoe
    She spotted a traitor, posing as a waiter,
    The waiter, he said, "spare me, please"
    "run away with me, Susan Louise
    Don't you recall your brother at all"

the gumshoe knew just what to do...

give him the jubilation
    of a reeducation
    choose re-habilitation
    over incarceration

'cause family, and friend, they're not above the rules
    they'll thank you in the end when they stop being fools
  • edited 2017-06-18 03:19:17
    (2015 self)
    I don't know why the idea of "overly-cheery high-school-marching-band anthems for a brainwashing totalitarian regime dedicated to an  outwardly non-threatening ideology of 'peace, justice, and harmony at all costs' " is so fun to write.
  • edited 2017-06-18 03:38:22
    (2015 self)
    Or maybe I just wanted to write songs that take advantage of my specific accent where I can say, "the gumshoe knew just what to do" with an aabbaabb vowel scheme; and "All is as it ought" is abcba; and "to comfort the hurt" is aabab.  Also, have alliteration with "cure for".

Also, have "in", "end", "an", "on", and, "and", acceptably be pronounced the same.

Additionally also, "of a re" gets to sound like "over in" if you say it fast enough with the right slurred vowels.

• Aliroz said:

Opinion: the "everyone is morally ambiguous and cynicism is sophisticated" worldview throughout a lot of popular fiction is a lot less interesting now than it was when I was younger.

There's only so many times I can get disillusioned with a fictional world before it stops being a surprise. Animorphs, Harry Potter, A Series Of Unfortunate Events, all of them repeated kicks to the teeth. I was younger then, more trusting, less critical.

I never really liked the notion that moral ambiguity and cynicism somehow automatically equated to maturity.  Because it doesn't.

It's possible to have a mature and interesting story that doesn't have moral ambiguity or cynicism, but instead has black-and-white morality.

And this is where I start to wonder if people think this way because they grow up as kids with stories with black-and-white morality and then so as teenagers when they start to get into literature and more complex stories they start to think think fine literature and high art does these things because they're rejecting the stories of their youth which they perceive to be "low art" or whatever other term you wanna use.
    (2015 self)
    Fun fact: Talk in a Utah accent fast enough, and the only vowel that remains is the schwa. 

Even more fun fact:  This is not actually true.  Talk too fast with only a schwa and you will actually only end up sounding like a drunk Wakko Warner, or a drunk Ringo Starr.
    (2015 self)
    There's ten million places on the internet to complain, and one for me to make a wall of text about something that interests me.   

Complaining is easier.  Stuff I actually get enthusiastic about, I feel I need to keep safe and hidden in my head, before anyone can puncture that balloon.  Stuff I like, even more so.  And heck, with stuff like 4Chan, Something Awful, Encyclopedia Dramatica existing, there's a culture where any mistake I make can be screen-capped and mocked for eternity. Any admittance can be an epitaph; there's not a real distinction between public and private.  Of course the only place on the internet I really feel comfortable is this trash heap, I'm allowed to wonderpost and be stupid and have obsessive interests here.

As I get older, I get better at keeping thoughts to myself.  As a kid, I said whatever popped into my head.

I'm just glad that nobody has figured out mind-reading.
    (2015 self)
    And yes, I know that post didn't go anywhere.  It bugs me, too.
  • Aliroz said:

Complaining is easier.  Stuff I actually get enthusiastic about, I feel I need to keep safe and hidden in my head, before anyone can puncture that balloon.  Stuff I like, even more so.  And heck, with stuff like 4Chan, Something Awful, Encyclopedia Dramatica existing, there's a culture where any mistake I make can be screen-capped and mocked for eternity. Any admittance can be an epitaph; there's not a real distinction between public and private.  Of course the only place on the internet I really feel comfortable is this trash heap, I'm allowed to wonderpost and be stupid and have obsessive interests here.
    agreed
    (2015 self)
    Dear Youtube,

If I had known that watching clips from the 1972 Television Special The Lorax would get Lindsay Ellis videos recommended to me, I wouldn't have done it.  

Sincerely, Aliroz.
    I use a chrome extension to get rid of unwanted recommendations
    (2015 self)
    That's actually a really nice feature that I should have been aware of.
  • edited 2017-06-23 23:36:24
    (2015 self)
    Things that I think this forum would love:

Miraculous Ladybug (probably the best Villain-of-the-week show ever made, in my opinion.  What Superhero shows should be.)

Oscar Wilde's Fairy Stories  (an incredible mix of turn-of-the-century-Hans-Christian-Andersen-type cry-your-heart-out sincerity and hilarious spoofs of the same, where I never knew whether the last sentence is going to make me giggle or tear up.)

Princess Tutu  (a genuinely charming and uplifting ballet anime that develops a really interesting story)

George MacDonald's Fairy Stories (some of the best-written and most interesting fantasy of its time, a major influence on C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein, sadly ignored by the general pop culture today).

Granite Flats (BYUTV-produced Gravity Falls in the 1960s!  Cancelled before its time, also has Christopher Lloyd in what I think is my favorite of his roles.)

Of these, only Miraculous Ladybug is ongoing, but, the thing is, by the time I have access to an ongoing show NOT on Netflix, it's probably over.
    I have been wanting to watch Princess Tutu
  • edited 2017-06-23 23:41:32
    (2015 self)
    Oh, oh!  Anne with an E!  Also, Series of Unfortunate Events.  

These aren't as unreservedly beloved as the above, but would still be dang fun to talk about and are ongoing.

Secret of Kells is only 75 minutes long, but it's some of the best Western animation I've ever seen.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I know Centie, Haven, and Section and Sorrow like Ladybug. It's not my thing and the design is offputting to me.

I did not know about Oscar Wilde's Fairy Stories but that description is my thing.

I have Princess Tutu downloaded and am highly anticipating starting it sometime within the year.

Not sure about General MacDonald.

I think Myr has recommended Granite Flats to me.