Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    In Demon's Souls, they have a weapon called the Mirdan Hammer which is actually a Lucerne Hammer, presumably renamed because there's no Lucerne Switzerland in Boletaria

Except in Dark Souls it's just called a Lucerne Hammer
  • kill living beings

The death penalty was the punishment for even minor offences, such as 'stealing a cabbage'.

wait, was this unusual? i know in halifax you could be killed for theft of thirteen and a half pence, which I don't think is much. sixteen years of cloth is enough, apparently
    You might like the next movie we're streaming
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Jumanji?  I'm in.
    (2015 self)

The death penalty was the punishment for even minor offences, such as 'stealing a cabbage'.

wait, was this unusual? i know in halifax you could be killed for theft of thirteen and a half pence, which I don't think is much. sixteen years of cloth is enough, apparently
    13 and a half pence was "the old Hangman's wages", at least from my 1970's phrase origins book, which may or may not be 40 years out of date.
  • kill living beings
    yards of cloth. yards

halifax hasn't executed for that since the english civil war, so maybe your phrase origins book is older than you think
    (2015 self)
    Hmm.  I'm really enjoying Starcraft's campaign (I'm on the third level of the Zerg Campaign.  What a kick to the face that Terran Campaign ending was.)

However, the game's been out nearly twenty years, and anything that can be thought or said about it has been said and thought.  Heck, the game's essentially been solved like tic-tac-toe, I mean, people write AIs for it that are better than any human (I was never one for multiplayer, but I still miss the days when computer AIs were only sometimes clever (and compensated for a lack of learning ability by beginning with an advantage) and could be out-thought).  It's like a joke that everyone's heard.
  • kill living beings
    better than human? really? i guess if you program in all the micro garbage...
  • Aliroz said:

I have a pet peeve that is the reverse of XKCD 483.

It bothers me when I see phrases or words used in fiction that should be specific to Real-Life Earth..

Like that old Star-Wars tie in book from 1979 that my uncle had, The Maverick Moon.  "Maverick" as an adjective comes from Samuel Maverick refusing to brand his cattle (and thus getting to claim that any unbranded cattle were his).

It's like using "Chauvinist", "Achilles' Heel", or "Draconian" (Baldur's Gate made this mistake).
    Couldn't the same be said about the fact that basically every word on the basis of their etymology?

In any case, why not just postulate relevant conditions that allow the word to exist with basically the same meaning in the fictional universe.
  • edited 2017-08-03 01:32:48
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    No.  I might as well accept Hobbits having Potatoes in a supposedly-England-based fantasyland.  

I mean, are they russet potatoes?  Or are they some inferior, but still magnificent lesser breed of potato?  
    How do they have potatoes without the Americas?  You might as well have Hobbits with Acacia trees or Chrysanthemums.  It'd be like if it mentioned China or India or Brazil.  Some things are specific in my head.

If you're going to have bonkers contextless fantasy-plants, at least give them bonkers fantasy names.

Amnyways, unrelated, cross-referenced here from the GITP forums, The Snarl.
  • kill living beings
    I like analogies sometimes. There's this one comic where this lady introduces medieval fantasyland to the alien, poisonous plants of the demon world, such as the potato
  • edited 2017-08-05 02:13:00
    (2015 self)
    It's late summer evening, children play outside, and insects abound. mosquitoes buzz everywhere.  Dragonflies, hundreds of them, fly through the air, catching their prey and delighting kids.  Birds catch insects in loop-de-loops and sing their songs.  A praying mantis, brown in color, catches its grasshopper meal.  

Suddenly, a sound you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it, unless you knew your birds...

"Chicka-dee-dee-dee!  Chicka-dee-dee-dee!"

And all the chickadees and nuthatches fall silent.  The more aware and clever birds hide.  Anyone listening properly can notice a quick drop-off in bird noise, though the starlings and house sparrows keep up their stupid chatter.

Out of a tree, an ominous silhouette emerges, gliding in circles until it drops faster-than-seems-possible, faster than a falling rock, and catches an unfortunate bird.

An unforgettable, indescribable, sound, and at once, all the prey birds flee for the trees.

Hawk.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That is some great prose.
  • edited 2017-08-05 02:27:58
    (2015 self)
    Mostly, I wrote it so I wouldn't forget the moment.  I have a bad habit of assuming I can remember my inspirations.  I've been wanting to write on the hawks for a while, but I don't spend enough time outside.

Someday, I'll write down the experience of Owl.  That'll be a tough one, I've only managed to see an owl hunting in real life twice.

(I do tend to repeat my verbs a bit.  I mean, how many times did I use, "catch"?)
  • Four

Also, in the first paragraph, it would be cool if it went from biggest catchers to smallest catchers. So bird, then either mantis or dragonflies.
  • edited 2017-08-13 00:14:06
    (2015 self)
    At work, some of my coworkers had a DuckTales hype session during Lunch.  Goshdangit why don't I have Disney XD.

I'm surprised there isn't a big thread for it here.  

Maybe y'all are watching it. 
  • edited 2017-08-13 00:19:18
    (2015 self)
    OH wait I can get Disney XD on my smartphone for free!

Now I can maybe watch Star Vs the Forces of Evil!  

You guys still like Star Butterfly, right?
  • edited 2017-08-13 00:27:16
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I, SFS, Section, AU, and Centie all still follow Star yeah. DYRE will be picking it up at some point in the future too.

Duck Tales is very very not my thing back in the day or now, but I'm excited that you're excited.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Ah shit I can't believe I forgot about you, sorry Yarr. @__@ I had a suspicion of someone but idk.
    (2015 self)
    So, my cousin is driving me to Rexburg to see the eclipse (yeah, we're all going bonkers, it's a once in a lifetime thing. If I can see a perfect solar eclipse and Halley's comet, then I can can consider myself as having had a full life).

Rexburg is filled with twenty-something college students, the kind that live in apartments like the worthless peons they are.

Peasants! Bow before your lawn-mowing overlord! Muahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!
  • kill living beings
    my parents were going to go see the eclipse but apparently there's worries that the roads are going to be full, and that people are going to be idiots and stop in the middle of them to watch
  • Can't say I'm not jealous. There's no way um getting to South Carolina on such short notice, and even if I could, it's South Carolina
    (2015 self)
    Am I the only one who feels like Voice Recognition technology is an unholy, unnatural, disturbing, abomination?  I was told for my entire childhood that no machine could possibly understand human speech, due to its extreme complexity of sound and context.  The boundary has been crossed, and here everybody is all scared of Nuclear Weapons and talking like anything Genetically Modified is an affront to God.

This is why I never enter numbers into Capchas.  I don't need to prove that I'm not a spambot, and I resent the assumption that I am.
    (2015 self)
    I mean, crap, how are we supposed to keep secrets from the robots?  Sign language maybe?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Keep in mind that, while a lot of applications of speech recognition are seemingly frivolous things like Siri, it is legitimately useful for people with disabilities.

My friend Beth, for instance, is blind, so she can't type normally on a touchscreen, but uses speech recognition to dictate messages to her cell phone so she can communicate via text with others.
  • edited 2017-08-15 02:43:49
    (2015 self)
    I resent the way that touchscreens have replaced tactile hardware in certain areas.  I think that keyboards are much better for the blind than touchscreens, though now that you say that, Central, I do feel like something of a thoughtless jerk for wanting to inconvenience blind people.
  • Aliroz said:

I resent the way that touchscreens have replaced tactile hardware in certain areas.  I think that keyboards are much better for the blind than touchscreens, though now that you say that, Central, I do feel like something of a thoughtless jerk for wanting to inconvenience blind people.

i agree with this sentiment with regard to touchscreens.
    (2015 self)
    Vernon B. Romney was my fourth cousin, once removed.  His son, James Bradford Romney, would have been my fifth cousin had he not died years before I was born.  We are descended from different children from the couple Ellen Heskin and John Parker, who were on the S.S. North America in 1838, the first ship chartered by the LDS Church to bring believers from England to America.  John Parker survived the entire early history of the church, and made it to Salt Lake.  Ellen died in Nauvoo.

Vernon B. Romney is a first cousin of George Romney (Mitt Romney's father), though through the other side of his family.

Don Bluth is Mitt Romney's half-second cousin (shares one great-grandparent, but not two.  Some grandparent of his was a half-sibling of a grandparent of Mitt).

Mitt Romney's second cousin once removed is Jon Huntsman Jr.

Sometimes, I wonder, if Vaarsuvius cast Familicide on Mitt Romney, would it go up through his ancestry and then down, killing all who share an ancestor with him (killing Jon Huntsman, and Don Bluth, but not me), or would it go up and then down and then up and then down, killing all who share an ancestor with any who share an ancestor with him, or would it go on forever and ever?  How many generations does it go up, before coming down?  The world of OOTS is only about 1000 years old, which would make it a rather small number of generations...

Dangit, Burlew didn't even put any real thought into how Familicide would work, or the math, or anything, because he's an artist who cares about reader investment in his characters.

Characters Schmaracters, I read stories for worldbuilding.
  • kill living beings
    wait, i thought familicide only went 'down'. or maybe it worked based on a species classification? i forget.
    (2015 self)
  • kill living beings
    too soon
    (2015 self)

too soon

I know.

Poor Piett.  They didn't intensify the forward power fast enough.
  • edited 2017-08-28 02:14:00
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, this is my second favorite camera shot in all of the Star Wars Saga:

Look at that ceiling!  I love how all the tubes and panels and everything points to Vader, and I love how it looks a bit soulless in its blocky monochrome diesel-looking dimness.  

The floor all clean and reflective, because the Empire is professional, it's stuff is powerful, isn't dirty and scratched up like the Rebellion's stuff.    The little opera-pit-looking space for the computer guys, with walkways for the literal higher-ups.  

And Vader, looking almost small as he walks glumly, shrugging.  Vader's the center here, but he's alone, separated from everyone, a man under a mask and suit.  His son got away, the one thing Vader really wants, and nobody notices any of this because all they see is Darth Vader, the terrifying Sith.

As far as the movie goes, you could end it here instead of

My third-favorite shot.  While The Executor was cold and soulless, this is warm and cozy.  Everything's a bit softer, a bit dustier, a bit lighter, more faded.  There is a camaraderie here between these characters that the Empire just doesn't have.  And that empty space in the middle.  It's the opposite of the above shot.

Of course, my favorite shot in Star Wars is a tie between the binary sunset from the original Star Wars, and the binary sunset of Revenge of the Sith.  What was the yearning for adventure, destiny, and glory in 1977 becomes the affirmation of hope, of home, of family, in 2005, and in between these two sunsets we have a generation.

• I don't know how to non-awkwardly say this but I appreciate your poetic sense and writing style in your posts.
  • edited 2017-08-28 02:33:40
    (2015 self)
    I love how Luke and Owen have the left arm nearer the hip (going past the belt) while the right arm is bent, and the left leg just out of sight of the camera.  Unconsciously mirroring one another.

While Vader may be Luke's biological father, it's Owen and Beru who raised Luke.  He never turned to the dark side, he was innocent but not naive, and he was free (Anakin, until he tossed Palpatine down the shaft, always had someone to call, "Master".  Shmi, too, was never able to escape captivity but through the goodness of the Lars Family).  Luke never suffered like his ancestors did, and is unburdened by such trauma.  The Emperor never stood a frigging chance. 

Gah, episode 9 better end with all the Skywalkers together at a rebuilt Lars Homestead, watching the binary sunrise.  As a kid of the intermountain West, family reunions at my grandparents' ranch were always special, and there's just... just something to having the people close to you be able to come back to where you're all from.
    (2015 self)
    Dang it, I shouldn't have so many feelings about a family that gets, what, five minutes of screentime total.
  • Aliroz said:

Dang it, I shouldn't have so many feelings about a family that gets, what, five minutes of screentime total.

This just means that someone else's story means a lot to you, and that's one of the greatest gifts one can receive.

Aliroz said:

This just means that someone else's story means a lot to you, and that's one of the greatest gifts one can receive.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Aliroz said:

(2015 self)
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Okay, I hate MikTex and LaTex and whoever designed them and the families of whoever designed them, down to the ninth generation.

I should NOT have to learn an entire doshgarned kinsting orthwoless computer language to do math!  I should not have to have four gigabytes of software to do matrices and vectors.  I should not be required to print out my work for this class, and the teacher should not just throw out any not-perfect handwritten papers from students.

If I'd scratched in this math on a stone with another stone, I'd be done now.    But nooooooo, I lack the fine motor skills to make the perfect, harmonious, and beautiful work required by this son-of-a-dog teacher.  Dang it man, I can't, I just CAN'T.  Not with this brain and these hands.

This is what happened last time I went to college, with this class.  Gah.
  • kill living beings
    most people just cargo cult tex. you get used to it. hardly anybody uses the actual programming stuff.

as long as you don't have to do tables it's mostly fine.

and TeX was designed by a very nice man named Knuth who plays the organ for his church and got annoyed at publishers messing up the notation in his math books
    (2015 self)
    Well dangsicles.

UNCURSE the nice man and his family, down to the ninth generation.