Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Home now.

I think it is strange how people will make fun of an American accent in media where it doesn't belong (that one Robin Hood movie), but don't seem to have any issue with English accents where they don't belong (Leslie Howard in Gone With The Wind).
  • edited 2017-07-23 23:36:50
    Glad to hear you're back home safe.

I get the sense that for Americans, the generic American accent is sort of the default, the southern/Texan drawl represents folksiness or the Wild West, the generic British accent is used to sound old, to sound formal or excessively polite/fancy, or in fantasy settings, and then there are just some handful of racial stereotype accents.

Astute listeners may pick up on more subtle accents like New York or New England accents.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

Home now.

I think it is strange how people will make fun of an American accent in media where it doesn't belong (that one Robin Hood movie), but don't seem to have any issue with English accents where they don't belong (Leslie Howard in Gone With The Wind).

Technically in all Shakespearian plays, everyone should be talking vaguely like pirates

(2015 self)
    Some day, I want to do, Star Wars But Everyone Is From Savannah, Georgia as a dub.
    Wait til you see my Southern Gothic Tintin play
    Odradek said:

Wait til you see my Southern Gothic Tintin play

Cat on a Hot Tintin Roof
  • edited 2017-07-23 23:51:22
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    My accent is, well, it's one of the main reasons why I don't put recordings of my voice on the internet (the other reason is that a voice is a large part of a person. I'm not going to reveal that much of myself in public).

It's too boring and generic to be interesting, too rural and redneck for me to narrate anything, and not rural enough to hide the fact that I come from a dirty quasi-liberal college town and have grown up in a world of mass media.
  • edited 2017-07-23 23:55:15
    (2015 self)
    Odradek:. I'd actually pay money to see that.

Also, Original Pronunciation Shakespeare is weird and fascinating. Sounds like sideways Scottish to me.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Welcome back Al.
  • kill living beings
    i pretty much cannot recognize american accents other than TV newscaster (mine), southern drawl, and fast talking bostonian

like i guess there are others but they all pretty much sound like one of those

i pretty much cannot recognize american accents other than TV newscaster (mine), southern drawl, and fast talking bostonian

like i guess there are others but they all pretty much sound like one of those

The Phillie guy is how Sredni and Yarrun talk, and the Pittsburgh guy is how me and Imi talk

(not really but we totally know people who do)

Oh come on, I did not exist in that space long enough to be infected

The Philly Phanatic is a terrible mascot
  • my accent is "the letter X is an explosive device"
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I have, like, traces of a southern accent
  • i sound definitely minnesotan if you pay attention
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

I have, like, traces of a southern accent

I did not notice that at all when I heard you talk.
  • I am training myself to have an unholy combination of California English and Received Pronunciation
    (2015 self)
    (2015 self)
  • edited 2017-07-24 21:58:25
    (2015 self)

imageimage
  • edited 2017-07-25 00:29:23
    (2015 self)
    imageimageimage
  • kill living beings
    things that tricked me into thinking they weren't actually animated
    (2015 self)
    imageimage
    imageimage image
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    this is a good thread.
  • edited 2017-07-25 00:58:11
    (2015 self)

imageimageimage
    imageimage

imageimageimage

I always thought that looked cool, but I can't be bothered to learn how to do it.
    (2015 self)
    Where are you finding all these, anyways?
    (2015 self)
    imageimageimage
    (2015 self)
    Google searching "spinning gif", and then going down the ravvit hole of related images.

• edited 2017-07-25 01:13:21
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

Home now.

Technically in all Shakespearian plays, everyone should be talking vaguely like pirates

Or from, y'know, with a Western Scottish accent. Or a Cornish or Black Country one. It's in that area.
    (2015 self)
    imageimageimageOldies but goodies.

Down the rabbit hole:

image\
  • edited 2017-07-25 01:38:44
    (2015 self)
    imageimage

And our third place for the "moves when you look at it but not when it's just in the corner of your eye" category is:image

Aaaaaand that's enough gifs for today.  I'm all spinned out.
  • Holy crap these are awesome.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
  • Also the white-and-black stripes in circular designs make me think of Leliel from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Notice the one with the cube and the belts around it is actually a 720 degree cycle
    Calica said:

Notice the one with the cube and the belts around it is actually a 720 degree cycle

I knew we could count on you to math it up! :D
    (2015 self)
    Does anyone else do that thing where you make up ways to split up an imaginary estate, and then turn it into something that sounds like a logic puzzle?
  • edited 2017-07-29 03:32:45
    (2015 self)
    Well, maybe more of a math problem, I guess.

In the case of multiple inheritors:

First, let each inheritor bring two stones, one in each hand.  Lay all the stones of the inheritors on the table.  Remove one stone, for God.  Place the rest in a jar. Let each stone represent an equal portion of the estate.  All inheritors must receive at least one stone's worth of the estate.

Second, place a number of sticks in a jar, that number being equal to the number of inheritors.  Let each stick represent an equal portion of the estate.  No inheritor may be granted more than two sticks' worth.

Then, place some number of pebbles in a jar.  Let each pebble represent an equal portion of the estate.  Let all inheritances be measurable in pebbles.  The difference, in pebbles, between the largest and next-to-largest inheritance shall be equal to the difference, in pebbles, between the next-to-smallest and smallest inheritance, and shall also be equal to the difference, in pebbles, between the next-to-largest and next largest inheritances, and the next-to-next-to-smallest to the next-to-smallest inheritances, and so forth, that all may proceed as is harmonious.

• kill living beings
    it's an arithmetic progression. what are the stones and sticks for? you could establish a minimum and maximum number of pebbles without them.
    (2015 self)
    It comes from an idea I had of combining Ripuarian inheritance law type (also Salic Inheritance Law) with my preconceived notions of how a culture without numbers past two would operate.

The Sticks and Stones are to establish a minimum and maximum inheritance without using any numbers above two. 
    (2015 self)
    I have a pet peeve that is the reverse of XKCD 483.

It bothers me when I see phrases or words used in fiction that should be specific to Real-Life Earth..

Like that old Star-Wars tie in book from 1979 that my uncle had, The Maverick Moon.  "Maverick" as an adjective comes from Samuel Maverick refusing to brand his cattle (and thus getting to claim that any unbranded cattle were his).

It's like using "Chauvinist", "Achilles' Heel", or "Draconian" (Baldur's Gate made this mistake).
  • kill living beings
    Somewhere in my mind I know the etymology of "draconian" doesn't actually have to do with dragons, but it's always my first thought anyway.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I mean, it indirectly does, since that's literally what Draco's name means. :P