Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'd watch Secret of Kells.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have not, and have never seen it.
    BTW did you finish The Sea Will Claim Everything?
    Whoops. <_> Then... who else have I heard it from.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Fun fact about George MacDonald:  He was a mentor of and major influence on Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll).  Given the popularity of Alice in Wonderland here, the guy who read the first written versions of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland back when it was still titled Alice's Adventures Under Ground , and convinced Lewis it was worth publishing, really deserves at least a look.

I mean, Madelline L'Engle, Mark Twain, and G.K. Chesterton all cited this guy as a major inspiration, and he's almost entirely unknown now.
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

BTW did you finish The Sea Will Claim Everything?

Not yet!  I'm savoring it, it's soooooooo good.
    (2015 self)
    This is also, surprisingly, good.

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I still need to watch more Ladybug. >_>
  • Aliroz said:

Things that I think this forum would love:

Miraculous Ladybug (probably the best Villain-of-the-week show ever made, in my opinion.  What Superhero shows should be.)

Oscar Wilde's Fairy Stories  (an incredible mix of turn-of-the-century-Hans-Christian-Andersen-type cry-your-heart-out sincerity and hilarious spoofs of the same, where I never knew whether the last sentence is going to make me giggle or tear up.)

Princess Tutu  (a genuinely charming and uplifting ballet anime that develops a really interesting story)

George MacDonald's Fairy Stories (some of the best-written and most interesting fantasy of its time, a major influence on C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein, sadly ignored by the general pop culture today).

Granite Flats (BYUTV-produced Gravity Falls in the 1960s!  Cancelled before its time, also has Christopher Lloyd in what I think is my favorite of his roles.)

Of these, only Miraculous Ladybug is ongoing, but, the thing is, by the time I have access to an ongoing show NOT on Netflix, it's probably over.
    Noted on all of these. They all sound very interesting, especially George MacDonald's Fairy Tales.
    Honestly surprised Princess Tutu isn't on the anime stream list
  • princess tutu is real real good
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I was already aware of MacDonald, actually. I have an old anthology tracong the evolution of speculative fiction which features his work several times.
    Odradek said:

Same, honestly.
    Also same.
  • huh, I thought I added it to the list when it was first made
  • edited 2017-06-24 07:09:01
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Well, you know what you must do now. :P
  • Odradek said:

At least when I first started the list, it was based on whatever shows I had pre-uploaded to several google Drive accounts and I honestly can't remember the rhyme or reason for what was uploaded or who suggested what.

(2015 self)
    Dear Traditional Conservative Mormon Population Of Utah:  Look, if the Supreme Court allowing gay marriage is an attack on the nuclear family, a redefinition of that which is fundamental to our faith and society, an assault on our traditional values, then how the HECK is this not an assault on all we hold dear, an imposition of the values of a corrupt world?  Is some serial-adulterer a-hole with no family loyalty going to seriously declare cousins not family and refugees not people?

The pioneers, our ancestors, were refugees.  Desperate and misunderstood and persecuted and even killed, for religion.  They left their homelands, how can you be nativist?  How the heck you gonna explain to God and your ancestors your approval of Trump when he goes after a religious population fleeing persecution (and worse, mass slaughter) like this?  What part of believing in Jesus allows you to ignore everything he ever said?  Dangit people, our great-great-great-great-great-great grandfathers were born nowhere near here.  We don't get to be nativist.

You are the guys who will support Israel until the end of days out of an overwhelming feeling that not enough was done in the thirties and forties to help the Jewish people, who use the Japanese internment camps as a go-to example of the-Government-needing-to-be-opposed-when-it's-wrong and people-failing-to-oppose-bad-things.  Now is exactly when our values require us to oppose this government!  Your fathers and grandfathers failed the Jewish and Japanese people and regretted it forever, let's show that we can learn and improve.

Dangit, support Trump, and we ain't people like Joseph Smith any more.  We're Thomas Ford.  We're Pontius Pilate.
    You're a good person, Aliroz
  • kill living beings
    a lot of christians think pontius pilate was right on the money except he should have just not fucked with this particular guy because his dad is special.
  • Aliroz said:

Dear Traditional Conservative Mormon Population Of Utah:  Look, if the Supreme Court allowing gay marriage is an attack on the nuclear family, a redefinition of that which is fundamental to our faith and society, an assault on our traditional values, then how the HECK is this not an assault on all we hold dear, an imposition of the values of a corrupt world?  Is some serial-adulterer a-hole with no family loyalty going to seriously declare cousins not family and refugees not people?

The pioneers, our ancestors, were refugees.  Desperate and misunderstood and persecuted and even killed, for religion.  They left their homelands, how can you be nativist?  How the heck you gonna explain to God and your ancestors your approval of Trump when he goes after a religious population fleeing persecution (and worse, mass slaughter) like this?  What part of believing in Jesus allows you to ignore everything he ever said?  Dangit people, our great-great-great-great-great-great grandfathers were born nowhere near here.  We don't get to be nativist.

You are the guys who will support Israel until the end of days out of an overwhelming feeling that not enough was done in the thirties and forties to help the Jewish people, who use the Japanese internment camps as a go-to example of the-Government-needing-to-be-opposed-when-it's-wrong and people-failing-to-oppose-bad-things.  Now is exactly when our values require us to oppose this government!  Your fathers and grandfathers failed the Jewish and Japanese people and regretted it forever, let's show that we can learn and improve.

Dangit, support Trump, and we ain't people like Joseph Smith any more.  We're Thomas Ford.  We're Pontius Pilate.
    This post is beautiful.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Amen.
  • i'm not really religious though i do have some spiritual leanings and this is one of those times i feel that i may be undervaluing religion
  • Religion gets a rough rap nowadays because of so many people baldly exploiting it for their own ends, particularly Christianity, but there's a benefit to having a culture explicitly bound by an adherence to moral embetterment and kindness towards your fellow man. Not that atheistic communities can't also value such things, but they don't have them written in a book that everyone agrees is super important
  • edited 2017-07-08 16:01:49
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Thought:  Somewhere in the British Isles, there is a person with a personality very similar to mine.

I feel really bad for that person, cursed to be at such a low elevation all the time.

I mean, I live 4500 feet above sea level, in a valley.  The highest you can get on land in the English Isles is 4400 feet at Ben Nevis.

And, of course, both me and my British Isles counterpart are envious of Colorado's equivalent, who gets to climb Mount Elbert and get 14,440 feet above sea level (King's Peak in Utah gets only 13,534 feet above sea level).

And all of us are envious of our Alaskan superior, who can climb Denali and get 20,320 feet above that accursed ocean.
  • edited 2017-07-08 16:31:43

Religion gets a rough rap nowadays because of so many people baldly exploiting it for their own ends, particularly Christianity, but there's a benefit to having a culture explicitly bound by an adherence to moral embetterment and kindness towards your fellow man. Not that atheistic communities can't also value such things, but they don't have them written in a book that everyone agrees is super important

good post
    Aliroz said:

Thought:  Somewhere in the British Isles, there is a person with a personality very similar to mine.

I feel really bad for that person, cursed to be at such a low elevation all the time.

I mean, I live 4500 feet above sea level, in a valley.  The highest you can get on land in the English Isles is 4400 feet at Ben Nevis.

And, of course, both me and my British Isles counterpart are envious of Colorado's equivalent, who gets to climb Mount Elbert and get 14,440 feet above sea level (King's Peak in Utah gets only 13,534 feet above sea level).

And all of us are envious of our Alaskan superior, who can climb Denali and get 20,320 feet above that accursed ocean.
    (2015 self)
    Bought the original cd and case and instruction manual for Starcraft I from the DI (the store at which I work) yesterday for one dollar.

This cost about $50.00 when it came out.  Oh, you poor 1998 sucker, my uncle, you could have waited 19 years...
    *constructs additional pylons*
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

Bought the original cd and case and instruction manual for Starcraft I from the DI (the store at which I work) yesterday for one dollar.

This cost about $50.00 when it came out.  Oh, you poor 1998 sucker, my uncle, you could have waited 19 years...
    this is how i felt when i got a brood war pack for like ten dollars
  • Isn't original Starcraft now like free?
    (2015 self)
    I love me some biblical chronologies.

Adam lives 930 years (0-930), having Seth at age 130 and living 800 years after that.

Seth lives 912 years (130-1042), having begat Enos at age 105, and living 807 years after that.

Enos lives 905 years (235-1140), having begat Cainan at age 90, and living 815 years after that.

Cainan lives 910 years (325-1235), having begat Mahaleel at age 70, and living 840 years after that.

Mahaleel lives 895 years (395-1290), having begat Jared at age 65, and living 830 years after that.

Jared lives 962 years (460-1422), having begat Enoch at age 162, and living 800 years after that.

Enoch lives* 365 years (622-987), having begat Methuselah at age 65, and living 300 years after that.

Methuselah lives 969 years (687-1656), having begat Lamech at age 187, and living 782 years after that.

Lamech lives 777 years (874-1641), having begat Noah at age 182, and living 595 years after that.

*Enoch was taken up into heaven without dying.
  • kill living beings
    "Enoch skipped out after 365 years"

it's weird methuselah gets to be "the oldest" like he only lived a couple more years than his granddad
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    yeah but he has a cool name
    (2015 self)
    Noah is born in 1056, but this is after Adam has died.

Noah has three sons at the age of 500, then he spends 100 years building the Ark, and the flood is in the year 1656, the year that Methuselah dies.
  • edited 2017-07-16 23:15:51

...huh. So did Methuselah die in the flood or...

he died of natural causes and as such cannot be brought back to life by a True Resurrection spell
    Calica said:

yeah but he has a cool name

Exactly.

"It didn't go to Jared!" exclaims the friend of the friend of the wife.
    (2015 self)
    There are a lot of different translations for what Methuselah could mean, and one translation is "at his death it shall come" or "his death changes everything" or "whose death commences".  

There are, of course, other interpretations more likely, more fitting with the actual vowels-and-consonants of Hebrew, with a quite likely one being "Man of the spear" or "man of the javelin", from what I remember from the 1980's guide to genesis that my grandparents had.

Or, perhaps, Methuselah's death was the one that sent the number of not-terrible people to below the acceptable minimum.  I mean, Sodom would have been spared had it had, what, a dozen (or was it ten) righteous?  Noah, his wife, his three sons, their wives, that makes eight.
  • kill living beings
    i thought sodom was like way after the flood.
  • edited 2017-07-17 03:48:58
    (2015 self)
    The one that I want to know more about when I get to heaven is Lamech's death.  Why only 777 years old, when the rest are in the 900s?  Was he murdered?

Methuselah and Lamech are interesting because they're the last two to be alive while Adam is alive, and the last two before the flood.  They're a link between Adam and Noah.

By more chronology I haven't the time to type just now, Noah lives to 950, being alive until Abraham is in his sixties. Noah's son Shem actually outlives Abraham, and doesn't die until after Jacob and Esau are born.  So, we have Adam to Abraham with two intermediaries.

If Adam is generation 1, then Noah is generation 10, and Abraham is generation 20.

The New Testament geneology, at least from my scribblings, seems to put Joseph at generation 59, as adoptive father of Christ, that would make Christ generation 60.  

Edit:  Craaaaaaap, the Gospels don't seem to line up with each other on this.  That'll learn me to confuse names and combine different lists.

Matthew seems to have three groups of 14 names, Luke seems to have seven groups of eleven, though Matthew traces it through Joseph and Luke traces it through Mary's father Eli.

• Aliroz said:

There are a lot of different translations for what Methuselah could mean, and one translation is "at his death it shall come" or "his death changes everything" or "whose death commences".  

There are, of course, other interpretations more likely, more fitting with the actual vowels-and-consonants of Hebrew, with a quite likely one being "Man of the spear" or "man of the javelin", from what I remember from the 1980's guide to genesis that my grandparents had.

Or, perhaps, Methuselah's death was the one that sent the number of not-terrible people to below the acceptable minimum.  I mean, Sodom would have been spared had it had, what, a dozen (or was it ten) righteous?  Noah, his wife, his three sons, their wives, that makes eight.
    ...woah. That's...deep.
  • edited 2017-07-18 17:11:40
    (2015 self)
    If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Matt Stone, Trey Parker, and the person behind the June 27 cyberattack, I would shoot the hacker guy twice. In the legs. And give 'im to the authorities.
  • my mom and i have been watching this show called Person of Interest, it's about two guys, a billionaire who built a machine to predict terrorist attacks for the government, but then it also predicts normal crimes, so he hires this ex-millitary guy to stop the crimes mostly by shooting people in the knees
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    🐊
  • edited 2017-07-20 02:52:02
    (2015 self)
    Going on Vacation to Laramie. Last year, when we did this, we ended up also visiting RMNP in Colorado, and I found a lot to love in Wyoming and Colorado. Hooray for escaping work and seeing the Intermountain West with my parents! Gonna bring a book or nine.
  • Aliroz said:

Going on Vacation to Laramie. Last year, when we did this, we ended up also visiting RMNP in Colorado, and I found a lot to love in Wyoming and Colorado. Hooray for escaping work and seeing the Intermountain West with my parents! Gonna bring a book or nine.

That sounds awesome.
  • Aliroz wanted to say that they're doing alright. Mudslide's blocked their path and they just found about John McCain and are a bit worried about that, but otherwise, doing alright.
    (2015 self)
    Posting attempt 31
  • glad to see you're alive