Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• Aliroz said:

Or, perhaps the hypothetical speaker considers the results of evil speech to not be as bad as the results of suppression of speech.

That's the usual philosophical/ethical argument, yes.

I usually take a more practical argument that results in the same conclusion, which is that:
    1. Suppressing someone's opinions can cause resentment, which makes people dig in to those opinions, making them stronger.  This is a big risk if they are problematic ("evil" as you say).  In contrast, allowing someone to air their grievances before they turn virulent, and helping them resolve those grievances, is key to defusing situations.
    2. Suppressing the expression of opinions one doesn't like can make one less aware of people's opinions and thus the social context of things.  This becomes really important in political/policy topics.

Basically, better to let people express themselves and then actually have a discussion with them, even if it's tedious, than force them to bottle it up and give them a reason to hate you.
  • kill living beings
    i've usually heard it as "disagree with", but disapprove seems to be the original
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

i've usually heard it as "disagree with", but disapprove seems to be the original

"Disagree with" seems to imply a more subjective conflict of views is taking place. "Disapprove of" seems to imply a moral evaluation.
  • Yeah, I'd prefer changing it to "disagree with".
  • kill living beings
    as far as substansive comment goes,
    Aliroz said:

This quote only makes sense if the hypothetical speaker has a very low opinion of his/her ability to judge others, or his/her right to enforce such judgment on others.

how about a low opinion of their ability to enforce such judgment in a way that doesn't have collateral damage?
    (2015 self)
    I guess it comes down to the difference between, "that's wrong", and, "I think that's wrong". The distinction between one's subjective perception of truth or morality and the truth or morality itself.

And this would exist on a scale from absolutism to relativism.

"Disapprove of", is not quite fully relativist, as the speaker allows himself or herself the ability or right to disapprove, but not to act on such disapproval.

"Disagree with", is more relativist, and thus fits in more with the second half.
  • kill living beings
    i don't believe in objective morality, and just read "disapprove of" as being more legalistic/self-contradictory in context
    (2015 self)

as far as substansive comment goes,

Aliroz said:

This quote only makes sense if the hypothetical speaker has a very low opinion of his/her ability to judge others, or his/her right to enforce such judgment on others.

how about a low opinion of their ability to enforce such judgment in a way that doesn't have collateral damage?
    That's it exactly! Thank you for saying clearly what I was trying to express.
  • kill living beings
    i don't understand, but you're welcome
    (2015 self)
    Gah. Governor Herbert wants to undo the Bear's Ears national monument and defund Planned Parenthood. I disagree with the first, and saying my actual stance on the second would get me banned here so I'll just say I disagree with the second.
  • you know it's actually far more annoying if you act like you're being persecuted because you're anti-PP
  • kill living beings
    ya rly we can all pretty much guess that you don't like the organization, the coyness just comes off as smug since it's obviously unnecessary
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I also disagree with the first
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    The title of this thread sounds like the decoy title of a spellbook in El Goonish Shive
    (2015 self)
    The most Utah Metaphor:  The Browning M1911 is the Stockton-to-Malone-Pick-and-Roll of guns.
  • kill living beings
    hey i was in salt lake (for a layover) and it was pretty

just in case you didn't know
  • I've been to SLC for the Gina Bachauer piano competition.

I listened to the organ concerts held by the LDS church.

I hear it's one of the world's biggest organs.
    (2015 self)
    Huh.  Today I learned the other reason why my mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother was disowned by her family.  Apparently, her parents gave her and her husband two slaves as a wedding present, and the newlyweds freed them within the week.

I always thought it was just the conversion to Mormonism that cheesed off her parents.
    I cannot imagine knowing family history that far back
  • ours goes back to the middle ages.

If the family record can be believed anyway, which is an open question.
    (2015 self)
    Apparently, this couple, my great-great-great-great grandparents, annoyed Brigham Young somehow , and that's why they were sent to live in Saint George instead of Salt Lake.  

Saint George is one of many towns originally established almost entirely by people who irritated Brigham Young.  My dad's ancestors were mostly sent North to Idaho, and my mom's ancestors were sent South.
    Okay that's pretty funny
  • my family history involves fleeing Holland in the wake of some upheaval or another, some of us becoming voortrekkers, and then going to America to mingle with the other kind of Dutch.
  • I know nothing about my ancestors beyond my grandparents (and my great-grandparents who are very occasionally mentioned by my parents)...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My roots are from Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia coal country, and yes, that implies pretty much everything you think it does. As far as we know, the main lines go back to Wales and Scotland but there's a lot of twists and turns involved.
  • I know nothing about my ancestors beyond my grandparents (and my great-grandparents who are very occasionally mentioned by my parents)...

• edited 2017-03-26 04:20:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    We Mormons consider it a religious obligation to keep a journal, and to do genealogical work and family history.  The Church was established in 1830, fairly recently as far as history goes.  

The stereotypical "I'm totally part (insert Native American tribe here) guys, but I don't know on which side." Johnny Depp thing confuses me.  Wouldn't you try to find the relevant records or verify it, before telling people about it?  
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Because that would mean accepting the possibility that it doesn't have a basis in fact.
  • one of my ancestors married a Lenape woman but as far as we're aware they never had children.
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

We Mormons consider it a religious obligation to keep a journal, and to do genealogical work and family history.  The Church was established in 1830, fairly recently as far as history goes.  

The stereotypical "I'm totally part (insert Native American tribe here) guys, but I don't know on which side." Johnny Depp thing confuses me.  Wouldn't you try to find the relevant records or verify it, before telling people about it?  
    nobody really cares for the facts, far as i can tell
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    ancestry.com is a mormon church thing, isn't it?

anyways i don't know much about my extended family besides irish/german ancestry on my dad's side and adoption on my mom's.  apparently my german ancestors came here in the late 1800s and fought in wwi and still got accused of dual loyalty, though, lol
  • edited 2017-03-26 06:02:40
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also my dad's side supposedly has cherokee ancestry but i'm like 99% sure that's bs; iirc my sister took a dna test and not only did it not have cherokee, it didn't even have the black ancestry that a lot of people claim native american ancestry to hide
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    familysearch.org is LDS, but ancestry.com is commercial and AFAIK outside of the church's purview.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    ah, I must have mistaken it (though the founders first sold LDS publications)
  • Aliroz said:

In the class on human disease I'm taking, Mormons were used to study the effects of certain hereditary diseases because their records of family history were so good.

Mormon genealogies are good enough for ~science~

• kill living beings
    in my genetics class we got cleopatra's. given the horror there i'd def prefer mormons
    Hey Aliroz what is your opinion on Dogs In The Vineyard, if you have one?
  • kill living beings
    When i played it i had a pretty incredible fight with a combine harvester (i mean, i was trying to repair it, but i still nearly died)
  • here's my opinion on Dogs In The Vineyard: stop letting dogs in my vineyard!!
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I've already mentioned that the only reason we can't really track my dad's family further back than the 1600s is because they probably fled the Protestant Reformation and subsequent Jew-murdering in Holland and only really put down roots in Poland later, but that's still quite a ways back.

As for my mom's family, they missed the Mayflower, somebody has a castle, and my great-great-great-grandmother was an Irish Catholic from the North who divorced her husband and is apparently descended from at least one High King of Tara.
    Because everyone's related to the Uí Néill. It's a huge family. Lots of kids.
    Oh, and William Hancock, the most dapper of the Union generals!
  • edited 2017-04-01 02:36:59
    (2015 self)
    Has anybody ever put Holst's The Planets over Star Wars? I feel it would fit quite well.
    The soundtrack is already very Holst-esque
    (2015 self)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Is that you?
  • edited 2017-04-03 02:17:51
    (2015 self)
    Heh, no.  It's a Renoir painting.  Apparently, the child with the watering can is named Leclere.

Looks a bit like a young me, though.  Well, actually, more like my mom.
  • Aliroz, pronounced "plugh"
    (2015 self)
    If I could go back in time I would visit Franz Kafka and tell him that in the future he is a beloved author and regarded as one of the greats, and I would give him a hug.