The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's weird that the Jonas Brothers grew up to be actual competent pop musicians.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...the fuck was I on with that "Mama"/"Momma" thing???
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think Pixy Stix laced with freebase cocaine.
  • Parents got me a book about the analysis of all of Shakespeare's plays.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    sUdhccB.png
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Toolsie said:

Parents got me a book about the analysis of all of Shakespeare's plays.

That's cool! Do you like Shakespeare?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Going on trip for five days.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Have fun
  • update: the shampoo is  ~a m a z i n g~

day after my hair still feels like a million bucks
  • edited 2016-07-22 16:56:38
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Also, the Mitt Romney vs Obama ERB, in 2013.  They did a Polygamist Mormon joke ("Now I respect all religions, but it might get crazy / if we have a first, second, and third lady").

We stopped performing Polygamist marriages in 1890, and started doing them in 1852.  

But research is hard, and humor is easy.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to make jokes about Christopher Columbus meeting Pocahontas, Thomas Jefferson being alive during World War II, and Edward The Confessor supporting the Third Crusade.  Because, hey, what's 123 years, anyway?

While I'm at it, did you know that slavery was abolished in 1986?
  • Odradek said:

Toolsie said:

Parents got me a book about the analysis of all of Shakespeare's plays.

That's cool! Do you like Shakespeare?
    I do like Shakespeare. I think my favourite play is either Hamlet, or Romeo and Juliet.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Ah.  I'm a King Lear gator, myself, but I do love me some Hamlet, and Romeo and Juliet is always a classic.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

It's weird that the Jonas Brothers grew up to be actual competent pop musicians.

um

um
    I like DNCE's "Cake by the Ocean" song at least

More than I liked anything they did as The Jonas Brothers
    just don't ask them to play a guitar solo
  • Got some new wools and knitting needles.

Doing some knitting.
    Is knitting fun?
  • It's therapeutic
  • Until you realise you've dropped a stitch and have to redo an entire row.
  • kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

Also, the Mitt Romney vs Obama ERB, in 2013.  They did a Polygamist Mormon joke ("Now I respect all religions, but it might get crazy / if we have a first, second, and third lady").

We stopped performing Polygamist marriages in 1890, and started doing them in 1852.  

But research is hard, and humor is easy.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to make jokes about Christopher Columbus meeting Pocahontas, Thomas Jefferson being alive during World War II, and Edward The Confessor supporting the Third Crusade.  Because, hey, what's 123 years, anyway?

While I'm at it, did you know that slavery was abolished in 1986?
    well that's about when mauritania abolished it

(mormon polygamy jokes are indeed lazy as fuck)

um
    I like DNCE's "Cake by the Ocean" song at least

More than I liked anything they did as The Jonas Brothers

Funny, I find what little I've heard by DNCE technically competent but vocally and lyrically too annoying to really enjoy.

Nick has fewer glaring issues but he's basically trying to be a white version of The Weeknd and just winds up being terribly boring.
  • no you're thinking of Zayn Malik from 1D.
  • actually he's of middle eastern extraction. So maybe you're right?

Jonas doesn't remind me of The Weeknd at all though.
    I dunno. It feels like he's trying to ride on that bandwagon while also hopping on the JT mimic thing and he's a little too bland to do either? Mainly I'm thinking of "Chains" but his whole approach is pretty whatever.
  • I actually really liked "Chains" but it didn't remind me strongly of either JT (who is backed by too distinctive a production style to be easily imitated anyway) or Weeknd.

More the latter than the former I guess but not much either.
  • It seems like a lot of people make that mistake. (Thinking Zayn is white, that is.)

Nick honestly still reminds me of his past self, though the production values and quality of his work have both improved vastly since he went solo. The whole "boy band to solo act" thing is pretty JT, but I feel like Jane's right in that it's pretty hard to ape Timberlake entirely without Timbaland on board.

speaking of, have I mentioned how much I love Loose-era Nelly Furtado? damn, there were some good tunes on that album
  • I actually knew he was middle eastern (I don't know what nation specifically his ancestors came from but it's hard to not know it when people constantly say racist bs about him) I just had a brainfart for a moment. Maybe because "Zayn" and its many variations are sort of associated with middle-class white people? I knew like four Zanes in high school.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    the president's wiener
  • 10 minutes until I can clock in
  • I have a new car finally

I guess you could call that a positive development
    That's wonderful!
    groovy
    Zayn Malik has a pleasant voice, so it's a shame his solo single is...bad
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Kexruct said:

I have a new car finally

I guess you could call that a positive development

cool
    Congrats on the car Kex

The vending machine in the break room is out of coffee
    I would expect it to be able to put "SOLD OUT" on the display or something but it's just dispensing hot water

Zayn Malik has a pleasant voice, so it's a shame his solo single is...bad

I don't think it's *that* bad, personally, just not very successful at what it's trying to do.
    That was a little harsh yeah.

Let me rephrase: the song is ok, but the lyrics are just awful
  • kill living beings
    deevaluate
    the grinning colossus
    I am so excited to finally have a house to move into

You have no idea
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I personally dislike how most modern pop songs sound and feel so vague.

Vagueness of sound and feeling can work sometimes, but now it's almost every song.
    vagueness?

I am so excited to finally have a house to move into

You have no idea

I can imagine quite well, actually, and while I'm a little too out of it to really rejoice with you, I really am happy for you.
  • edited 2016-07-23 00:34:38
    We can do anything if we do it together.

vagueness?

That Zayn song is a good example. It conveys no mood or melody or even groove whatsoever.

It just sounds and feels like this wispy cloud, like they set up a basic musical pattern and then forgot to write a song to go with it.

vagueness?

That Zayn song is a good example. It conveys no mood or melody or even groove whatsoever.

It just sounds and feels like this wispy cloud, like they set up a basic musical pattern and then forgot to write a song to go with it.

I dunno. I think the intention was one of a slow burn with the chorus as an understated seeping through of the passion beneath, going for a sort of dance-inspired minimalist architecture. The problem is, in essence, the same problem as plagues Sam Smith's work: The arrangement remains so restrained that rather than smoulder, it burns out, always feeling like an intro and never like a full song. Wire did this intentionally on "Heartbeat" nearly forty years ago—holy fuck, has it been that long?—but even that song manages to work its magic by clearly going somewhere and then stopping just short of its destination. But I think these producers are so used to writing huge climaxes out of nowhere or with very obvious precursors that the slow build is a lost art with them.
    no mood? no melody? no groove? who would create such a thing
    (The lyrics being kind of crap is almost secondary here.)