The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:

Eliezer Yudkowsky seems like someone who'd be a loveable oddball on a forum, but is woefully unequipped to be a Serious Intellectual.

If he was posting on TvTropes back in the day, and wasn't running Less Wrong and a fake charity, I would probably have got on decently well with him.
    He's still, in this eleventh hour, convinced Thiel won't really endorse Trump.

It's kind of heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I could always make a "Become a Princess" reality show to promote my Warner City theme park as a BIG FAT MIDDLE FINGER TO ABC'S FORMER OWNER DISNEY
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, he doesn't strike me as a bad person, just not the kind of great thinker his press tells him he is, and which he seems to believe himself to be.
    WB's Princesses are gonna be so much better than Disney's
    He's a better person than Scott Alexander that's for sure
    didn't Yudkowsky write that Harry Potter fanfic
  • kill living beings
    Jane said:

You know what I'm surprised hasn't been done?

A "Become A Princess" reality show

Basically the same format as The Bachelor except the guy in question is a prince from some obscure country
    IRL there are not actually that many countries with royal families left anymore.

You could probably get the descendants of some deposed monarchy to do it though. 
    Who Wants To Marry A Genghisid
    I'm still not entirely sure what your beef is with Scott Alexander, aside from the fact that he's willing to directly engage with the people who he discusses. I mean, at the end of the day, he still wrote a massive point-by-point refutation of the entire neoreactionary philosophy. For whatever credit he might superficially give them in order to understand their thinking, he clearly still thinks they're massively delusional.

I'm still not entirely sure what your beef is with Scott Alexander, aside from the fact that he's willing to directly engage with the people who he discusses. I mean, at the end of the day, he still wrote a massive point-by-point refutation of the entire neoreactionary philosophy. For whatever credit he might superficially give them in order to understand their thinking, he clearly still thinks they're massively delusional.

Dude.

He wrote a piece in which he literally tries to argue Trump isn't sexist.

He quotes Mencius Moldbug as a source of wisdom in a blogpost about gay marriage.

When The Baffler wrote an article attacking neoreactionaries, he wrote a counter-article endorsing Actual White Supremacist Wesley Morganston's attack on that article.

He has literally said 70% of all feminists are cartoonishly evil.

He thinks the "dysgenic effect of poor people having more children" is a real thing.

He's openly admitted he's been moving steadily rightwards ever since he wrote that shitty takedown.
    Furthermore, instead of dropping the mic after that FAQ, he continues to talk to neo-fascists, endorse their blogs, and helps to spread their message to a wider audience, with multiple actual people having said he was what drew them to neoreaction.
    He endorsed that Lambda451 nonsense!
  • also there was the whole "maybe the reason there aren't women programmers is because women are bad at programming, I can't believe I'm so smart that I'm the only one who's ever had this thought" business
    Huh.

I was peripherally aware of his fall from grace but that's a pretty extreme descent. I mean, the FAQ itself is a pretty unequivocal dismissal of basically every idiotic premise on which the alt-right is built.
    You know who did have the correct response to neoreaction? Eliezer Yudkowsky

Anyone posting a neoreactionary concept on my Facebook wall would be instablocked and the comment deleted. It’d be like their posting creationism on my wall; somebody needs to reeducate them, but it’s not going to be me. I think that if you do argue with neoreactionaries instead of just blocking them, then you’ve been suckered into Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet syndrome and trollfeeding.
  • I got

free

samples

at

Lush
  • Uuuuuugh

Work in thirty minutes and I'm sore all over

Let's hope caffeine will let me ignore this
    Odradek said:

You know who did have the correct response to neoreaction? Eliezer Yudkowsky

Anyone posting a neoreactionary concept on my Facebook wall would be instablocked and the comment deleted. It’d be like their posting creationism on my wall; somebody needs to reeducate them, but it’s not going to be me. I think that if you do argue with neoreactionaries instead of just blocking them, then you’ve been suckered into Somebody Is Wrong On The Internet syndrome and trollfeeding.

That's actually some very solid reasoning, yes.
  • kill living beings
    creationists are way more fun :(
  • edited 2016-07-22 01:33:53

I have two varieties of shampoo and two varieties of conditioner, all of which will remove Ambiguously Defined Toxins™ from my hair
  • I have two varieties of shampoo and two varieties of conditioner, all of which will remove Ambiguously Defined Toxins™ from my hair

Ambiguous Toxin is my favorite ambient rap metal band.
  • this shampoo costs 49 dollars per pound
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    who sells liquids by the pound

what an odd choice
    I haven't seen Yarrun in a couple days
  • it is in bar form

I also have not, and had been wondering about that

I hope he's ok
    Yeah, I should go through my files and get his cell number and text him. This is worrying.
    me too
  • edited 2016-07-22 01:56:34
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    He messaged me on Steam within the last, like, day. He's not in danger (of hurting himself or otherwise), for what it's worth.

v Plus.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    His Last Online on HH is from today, so he's probably fine.
    Oh, OK.

He has just been posting less in general, all told...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    He's clearly had a lot on his plate lately.
  • update: the shampoo is  ~a m a z i n g~
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    I had to spend $55 for just soap shampoo and deodorant at lush...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    shampoo is a funny word, methinks.
  • kill living beings
    mmmmmegaleashed
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Where can I read about the concept of freedom of speech?

Because, well, I wanna educate myself. Free speech is one of those things I'm finding I understand less and less as time goes on, especially because it doesn't seem to mean what I expect it to mean.
  • it means that you can say whatever you want, so long as it is about cats and generally positive in nature
    On Liberty by John Stuart Mill is a good place.

SNES9X
    Yeah, I'll second the Mill recommendation. Not as familiar with him as I should be myself...
    SNES9X

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    zsnes is better, it quotes Nietzsche's Twilight of the Idols
  • mood board: hellscape
    :<
  • In a set of studies about compliance methods, the researcher found evidence for the effectiveness of the "foot-in-the-face" (FITF) technique, which combines the DITF and FITD techniques.[17]
  • kill living beings
    dick in the face, foot in the dick
  • this aint my proudest boner
    Just have "100,000 Fireflies" on a loop tonight. Not sure why. Maybe I need the emotional provocation to remind myself that I am capable of healthy sadness rather than just... whatever this is.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Gradually heading out, so a preemptive good night and wishes, dweebs.

Chirps
  • kill living beings
    msf_sea may actually be the saddest twitter