The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Participation trophies are a stupid idea after the age of six or so, honestly. Better to just go, "We lost, who cares, let's go get ice cream or something."
  • kill living beings
    that just makes the ice cream the participation trophy

(did i just blow ur mind..........)
    I think of it more like the elementary school version of, "Fuck it, let's hit the pub."
  • kill living beings
    it wouldn't be that for a child since ice cream is a rare and special treat

it was for me at least
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Participation trophies are a stupid idea after the age of six or so, honestly. Better to just go, "We lost, who cares, let's go get ice cream or something."

Well, when the Steelers lost Super Bowl XLV, they received AFC Championship watches (instead of the usual rings), which are kind of like participation trophies
    Maybe he sold his
    OK, that's fair. Something marginally less extravagant, then.
    Anonus said:

Well, when the Steelers lost Super Bowl XLV, they received AFC Championship watches (instead of the usual rings), which are kind of like participation trophies

Losing the Super Bowl means you still beat everyone else in the running. That's kind of a different matter.

Anonus said:

Losing the Super Bowl means you still beat everyone else in the running. That's kind of a different matter.
    Yeah, it is (and MLB similarly hands out NL/AL championship rings to the World Series losers), but still, the second-place-is-for-losers mentality is quite pervasive
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOSER

NO FEAR
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    manliness
  • Princess AlicePrincess Alice
    gives Imi a double horse plushie
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    /me gives Imi a double horse plushie
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

BREAKING NEWS: Election Canceled As Barack Obama Declares Himself King of America

Princess Malia Obama To Visit Yarrun's School Next Month
    I'm still waiting for this to happen
    whoa cool, thanks
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The internet can know more trivia, more accurately and more quickly, than I can.

People unquestioningly accept whatever Siri says.

Google is worth millions of dollars, and digital media is replacing its competition.

I'm obsolete.

The robots don't need to take over, they already have taken over.

And here I am, saying this on a forum.
    (2015 self)
    Yarrun was active on steam yesterday, but I haven't been able to get on steam since. I, as of yet, have not been able to contact him.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yarrun showed up on IRC a couple hours ago for an RP that ended up being postponed, so he is around, at least. 
    I think he's just taking a break from posting on the forum for a while.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    [Undertale] I can't believe Toby Fox made me into a cashier at a fancy resort, smh
    (2015 self)
    1920s Alroz liked to hit pubs. A bit overzealous in pursuit of prohibition, yes, but speakeasies can't exist if the walls are punched to pebbles.

Ba-dum-tish!

[Undertale] I can't believe Toby Fox made me into a cashier at a fancy resort, smh

So you believe that friendship is just a way for hot people to make you their slave?

So you believe that friendship is just a way for hot people to make you their slave?
    no! 

(kind of)

no
  • edited 2016-07-24 03:49:15
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Final Splatfest ends in just over 5 hours. Of course, it's no contest, really.
  • kill living beings
    so are they winding down the game
    [UNDERTALE]
    [ ] Anime is Real [ ] Anime is Not Real
    DEAR GOD HOW CAN I POSSIBLY BE EXPECTED TO CHOOSE
  • kill living beings
    that feel when i want to watch movies just to know how a sound track fits
  • edited 2016-07-24 04:49:59
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Remember the 2000s, when all PC keyboards had to have six zillion extra keys?
    who the hell is Siri
  • who the hell is Siri

youngest princess of idris
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Aw, drat it, Kex beat me to the punch.
  • edited 2016-07-24 05:50:13
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Um. Centie, my mom uses that exact keyboard for her work as a medical transcriptionist.

It works, and gives her less hand strain.

Sorry that not all of us are as hip and modern as you.
    Aliroz said:

Um. Centie, my mom uses that exact keyboard for her work as a medical transcriptionist.

It works, and gives her less hand strain.

Sorry that not all of us are as hip and modern as you.

Oh, I don't dislike the keyboard. It's pretty good and the wireless feature works pretty well for something its age.

I just find it goofy that they put all those extra buttons on it, because I never use those and neither does anyone else I've met.
    (2015 self)
    Sorry, I'm just so used to you making fun of anybody who doesn't have the newest computer.
    My computer is five years old. Old enough to go to kindergarten.
  • kill living beings
    logos that can be logos that can be logos that can be logos that can be
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut

It really pushes the idea that trying and failing is ok and i think that's important
  • ok but really who has ever felt anything good about getting a participation trophy

the message you get from a participation tropy is "here's ya fuckin participation trophy"
    Aliroz said:

Sorry, I'm just so used to you making fun of anybody who doesn't have the newest computer.

I've loosened up about that. In fact, I've been playing with an outdated computer myself lately! Check out the thread I made about it: https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/12216/alice-and-the-pentium-4/p1

ok but really who has ever felt anything good about getting a participation trophy

the message you get from a participation tropy is "here's ya fuckin participation trophy"
    If anything I think even kids can find it a little patronizing
  • well more than a little
  • I am mostly confused by the hate for participation trophies/medals/ribbons/et cetera because I have never seen one.

When I went to school if you didn't get top 3 your trophy was, I suppose, a vague feeling of idsappointment.
  • edited 2016-07-24 06:33:56

i can think of

one time i got a participation medal

but im pretty sure that kid me would be insulted by such a thing
    if somebody gave me a participation trophy I'd throw it back at 'em.
    I got a blue ribbon for second place once
    The "participation trophy" thing mostly seems like the result of a game of Millennial-bashing telephone or bitching about how today's kids are too soft
  • pretty sure the trophy thing is bashing like, the generation before millenials, whatever they're called

like people who are 30 now as opposed to 20 or w/e
    oh

and like I said earlier, even professionals get second-place prizes

not sure why it's so terrible when kids get them

if anything the sensitive ones might need them more
    (in the NFL and MLB's case, though, I think it's a holdover from when their conferences/leagues were their own separate organizations)

[UNDERTALE]

[ ] Anime is Real [ ] Anime is Not Real
    DEAR GOD HOW CAN I POSSIBLY BE EXPECTED TO CHOOSE

No comment on the saddest stretch of game ever?
    Boney said:

It really pushes the idea that trying and failing is ok and i think that's important

There are much better ways to enforce this message. There is this very strange idea that children should not be allowed to experience negative emotions; rather, I feel that a parent or role model should be able to say, "Feeling bad sometimes is OK," but letting them know that they are there when they do, and that they empathise.
  • edited 2016-07-24 07:40:50
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

oh

and like I said earlier, even professionals get second-place prizes

not sure why it's so terrible when kids get them

if anything the sensitive ones might need them more

See, second place is not the same as awarding everyone who participates automatically. Which I think is fine for very young children but begins to get condescending later. And I have experienced such situations, albeit indirectly because I was never a sporty lad, so I can tell you it's not made up. Exaggerated, maybe, but by no means invented wholesale.

But to that point about sensitive children: That's where being a good parent comes in. Telling your child it is fine to be sad and it is fine to not always be a winner at everything. To help them understand that failure is key to the learning process and a basic part of life that must be overcome or accepted depending on its importance, and that it must be owned. Not everyone can do everything perfectly, and that is fine. Feel good that you tried, and try harder next time. Fail better. If it's not something you're great at, and you don't really get good at it, but you like it, keep failing until it stops being fun.