The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2016-07-21 23:27:47

central avenue, noted for her dislike of childish things
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Anonus said:

How is "mama" any less of a word than "momma"?

"Mama" is a word.

It's just a really annoying word that, again, looks infantile to me.
    tbh I prefer "Mama" :/

and honestly I thought "infantile" would be a thing you liked

central avenue, noted for her dislike of childish things

or this
  • Odradek said:

Ghostbusters was good aside from several of the very awkward HEY THIS IS A REFRANCE TO THE ORIGINAL moments

I kinda liked Slimer's reappearance
    that's fair

I rolled my eyes at stay-puft man tho
  • edited 2016-07-21 23:30:22

also genderbent klinotaxis was gr8
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    *shrug*

I didn't realize this was gonna be A Thing

What's wrong with me just saying "I dislike this certain spelling of a word"?
  • I guess there's nothing wrong with it, you just managed to phrase it in the most ridiculously petty manner possible
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Do you think it was just serendipitous luck the the bad guy was an obnoxious nerd with a victim complex?
    Odradek said:

Do you think it was just serendipitous luck the the bad guy was an obnoxious nerd with a victim complex?

gee this sounds familiar
  • edited 2016-07-21 23:35:37
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I guess there's nothing wrong with it, you just managed to phrase it in the most ridiculously petty manner possible

And

IJBM: "Mama"

"Mama" is how you spell what babies say. If you're over the age of 3, it's "Momma".
    One Right Way turning into

What is wrong with having a preference for one spelling and strongly disliking the other?
    When it was not (purely) that.

It feels like being willfully obtuse, or something. You didn't just say you dislike the look/whatever of the other spelling because you're used to whatever, you have to make some grand thing out of it. Or something resembling that.

*shrug*

I didn't realize this was gonna be A Thing

What's wrong with me just saying "I dislike this certain spelling of a word"?
    i dunno, you just phrased it in a manner i didn't understand
  • Odradek said:

of course not

though now the more I think about the movie the more tepid I am on it

still made me laugh a bunch in the theater, which I guess was the point
  • actually nah it was fine I'm having a sudden mood swing?
  • It's my birthday today

Happy 22nd birthday to me
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Happy birthday!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Happy Toolsday!
    Toolsie said:

It's my birthday today

Happy 22nd birthday to me

eight days before mine! Happy birthday!
    (You're seven hours ahead right?)
    Crystal said:

It feels like being willfully obtuse, or something. You didn't just say you dislike the look/whatever of the other spelling because you're used to whatever, you have to make some grand thing out of it. Or something resembling that.

It's always been weird to me that this isn't other people's default way of engaging with things, like it is for me.

Like, this idea that multiple opinions on a subject are valid is completely foreign to me. You have a right to disagree with me, sure, but that doesn't mean I have an obligation to respect that right when I think you're wrong.
  • Crystal said:

It's always been weird to me that this isn't other people's default way of engaging with things, like it is for me.

Like, this idea that multiple opinions on a subject are valid is completely foreign to me. You have a right to disagree with me, sure, but that doesn't mean I have an obligation to respect that right when I think you're wrong.
    and then everyone has the right to think that you are a huge asshole and never interact with you again
    "You have a right to disagree with me, but that doesn't mean I have to respect you when I disagree"

Oh, this again. Out.

Crystal said:

I think you might be Engineering too hard
    Eliezer Yudkowsky seems like someone who'd be a loveable oddball on a forum, but is woefully unequipped to be a Serious Intellectual.

If he was posting on TvTropes back in the day, and wasn't running Less Wrong and a fake charity, I would probably have got on decently well with him.
  • edited 2016-07-21 23:53:14
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Crystal said:

and then everyone has the right to think that you are a huge asshole and never interact with you again
    Well ideally everyone would be behaving like this, so it wouldn't be considered assholish, it'd just be normal.
  • Anonus said:

It's ten to one in the morning here.

I think Centie is having a bout of sadbrains and we should stop pushing her on this
    i am so fucking tired of this thumb pain
    Toolsie said:

Anonus said:

It's ten to one in the morning here.

alright, so eight days it is
    Odradek said:

I think Centie is having a bout of sadbrains and we should stop pushing her on this

Yes, she is
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Please stop, Centie.
    I'm sorry if I did anything hurtful
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    You weren't the one at fault here.
    Fair, fair.
  • i am so fucking tired of this thumb pain

drink a huge pitcher of kool aid
    realtalk i took some tylenol last night but it didn't do anything and so i haven't bothered to try again

i do appreciate your patience in putting up with my (apparent) irritability while i suffer through this though
  • Odradek said:

Eliezer Yudkowsky seems like someone who'd be a loveable oddball on a forum, but is woefully unequipped to be a Serious Intellectual.

If he was posting on TvTropes back in the day, and wasn't running Less Wrong and a fake charity, I would probably have got on decently well with him.

i am so fucking tired of this thumb pain

I wish you had pain meds that didn't irritate your throat
  • there is this very cute jacket at Macy's but of course this is Macy's so of course it starts at medium and goes up from there
  • kill living beings
    things i am madder about than any human being should be: "cybernetics" being redefined by everybody to mean robot crud

things i am madder about than any human being should be: "cybernetics" being redefined by everybody to mean robot crud

The first time I saw it used in any other way was in Cosmicomics
    You know what I'm surprised hasn't been done?

A "Become A Princess" reality show

Basically the same format as The Bachelor except the guy in question is a prince from some obscure country
  • Ugh, pushed myself really hard at work last night and that did Not mix well with my chronic pain
  • It's great too, bc I still finished late and might get in trouble again HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • edited 2016-07-22 00:18:02
    Or maybe they just gave me two strikes to keep me on edge for a few months that's probably what it is

I hate having no skills with which to get an actual job

You know what I'm surprised hasn't been done?

Basically the same format as The Bachelor except the guy in question is a prince from some obscure country
    if you want to go back to 2004 the WABAC is that way
  • For Love or Money
  • edited 2016-07-22 00:47:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

But if you're old enough to say "momma" on purpose, like...why wouldn't you spell it as an actual word? You wouldn't spell "mommy" like "mami"...

Have you genuinely never seen the word mammy?
    That's pronounced with a different vowel, though

"Mama" and "Momma" are homophones

Only in certain accents. As I said before, it's the "father"/"bother" thing. Don't assume that everyone talks the way that you do.

Sorry to bring this up again but it really is true.
  • You know what I'm surprised hasn't been done?

well they did a fake one of those

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wanna_Marry_"Harry"
  • You know what I'm surprised hasn't been done?

IRL there are not actually that many countries with royal families left anymore.

You could probably get the descendants of some deposed monarchy to do it though.