The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've done that in the past
  • If I get this job I'm hoping for I plan to get more RAM for my MacBook, and maybe an SSD

It's not bad as it is now but it really does feel like a four-year-old computer even though I only got it last year; I'm hoping that doing that will de-age it a bit
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hopefully this laptop will last me longer than the last one

I only got ~4 years out of it before the battery and hard drive failed

This one's pushing 3 years and still seems fine aside from minor cosmetic defects
  • I'm at white castle there's a black dude in his 50s or so w/ the Richard Dawkins we are all Africans shirt
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    You know, I don't think that's a horrible sentiment.

It's just most of Dawkins' other sentiments are horrible sentiments
  • I don't think it is either it's just weird seeing the shirt in real life

also did you know there's text on the back? I didn't get to read all of it but it does say "I believe in Science" w the capital S
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Johnny Clegg seems like a very interesting man.
  • edited 2016-07-18 19:40:49
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I take comfort in the fact that I am young, and that my family tends to live long, and that people of my faith have a life expectancy five years longer than the average for women, and ten years longer than the average for men, and that my body has always been young for my age (when I was twelve, I had the bones of an eight-year-old, when I was six, I had the bones of a four-year-old).

I am likely to outlive all my enemies.  Heck, I'll likely be the last surviving Heaper.  Will we remember each other in seventy years?

Amnyways, all of you had BETTER survive till 2061, so we can all meet up and see Halley's Comet.  THIS MEANS YOU, ODRA.
  • I am about to initiate operation Perform Labor to Receive Fiscal Compensation
  • kill living beings
    godspeed o capitalist soldier
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I just finished that operation myself.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.

I just finished that operation myself.

• I am now on break

exciting
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

I am not the type of person to get angry about the Kardashians, but I am genuinely irritated people care about this Taylor Swift drama

kim kardashian is like if donald trump at least sometimes sold products that weren't scams
    Odradek said:

i think it's actually a pretty decent idea, the african origin of humanity as a rebuke to racist ideologies, but it'd be better if it weren't coming from someone who was born in africa to a colonial civil servant
    Calica said:

Odradek said:

I am not the type of person to get angry about the Kardashians, but I am genuinely irritated people care about this Taylor Swift drama

kim kardashian is like if donald trump at least sometimes sold products that weren't scams
    Odradek said:

i think it's actually a pretty decent idea, the african origin of humanity as a rebuke to racist ideologies, but it'd be better if it weren't coming from someone who was born in africa to a colonial civil servant
    I think I heard it in Boyz in the Hood, used for that reason, before I heard it from Dorkins.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I am now on break

exciting

what is your job again?
  • Calica said:

Odradek said:

not even like sort of
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • Anonus said:

I am now on break

exciting

what is your job again?
    God
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    WHOOP
  • but seriously im a cashier
    I did that for a little while today

I wanted to die
  • i was fine with it
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Okay this is actually pretty nice, I think, and not just because birds
    Check the activity page.
    what the hell kind of pizza place puts all the pepperoni on one slice?
  • Anonus said:

Check the activity page.

dreamstime
  • weird shit: my dad referring to sredni as my "friend"
  • does he know?
  • It's my birthday in three days.

But I've been so concerned about being ill that I haven't even registered that it's nearly my birthday.

weird shit: my dad referring to sredni as my "friend"

My mother calls Centie my "friend"
  • am I even here any more

I don't even know

like I was kinda gonna... not, since I dunno if I even feel welcome/belongy here (whether that is paranoia, anxiety, projecting my own annoyances, etc I do not know)

and then I popped on to look at something

and there were posts in my Vriskaposting thread

which was nice

especially a Boney visit.
  • life update this morning I did the math

they scheduled me for 37 hours this week, including lunch breaks?

I'm gonna have to go talk to someone
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Vriska said:

am I even here any more

I don't even know

like I was kinda gonna... not, since I dunno if I even feel welcome/belongy here (whether that is paranoia, anxiety, projecting my own annoyances, etc I do not know)

which was nice

Vriska!  I missed you!
  • edited 2016-07-19 20:08:03
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    So, after playing a lot of Fallout 3, I have these conclusions on it, in relation to New Vegas.

3 has a much better beginning.  While The Courier has no past and came from nowhere, the Lone Wanderer has an origin.  I really felt for my character as she was growing up.

The Courier is, to use an awesome phrase from a less-than-awesome game, a "knight of the wind", a wandering hero whose only master is whim, going wherever the wind blows.  

The Lone Wanderer, on the other hand, has a consistent, meaningful motivation in following her/his father.  Strangely, Fallout 3 seems more forgiving of meandering, while New Vegas had the problem of deathclaws mauling you if you got too far from a road.

When The Courier walks the wasteland, it feels like home, because the Courier is built up as someone who's been everywhere, doing odd jobs and delivering messages and packages.  When The Lone Wanderer walks the wasteland, it feels like an adventure, like discovery, because Vault 101 is home, and he/she has been banished, and there is a real sense of loss in leaving home behind.  

Therefore, starting at level one makes more sense for The Lone Wanderer, and leveling up feels more satisfying, because you started as a scared young adult having lost everything that you didn't grab, and everyone you ever knew, and entering an unfamiliar world.  There's a sense of becoming, of exploring.  The courier's already been everywhere, already knows his/her way around, starting at level one feels wrong.  

Seeing DC broken and bombed is really kind of heartbreaking, especially at first (the poor Washington Monument, once the tallest building in the world, with its skeletal supports exposed to the wind, gutted).  There's a strange sense of majesty, almost like looking at the ruins of Rome, that isn't present in New Vegas, because seeing Las Vegas bombed and rebuilt into shady craptown doesn't feel like much of a change.  Seeing Nevada as a wasteland means, basically, a removal of sagebrush.  Seeing DC, a place of trees, all barren, feels wrong.

I've never been to DC, but I've been to Vegas.  Maybe that's why New Vegas felt more familiar, and 3 felt more alien.

Megaton is a lot more vertically-based, and more fun to wander around, than Goodsprings.  But, it's not as fun as Novac, because Dinosaur > Bomb.

As for the soundtrack, both have one or two truly memorable songs.  For New Vegas, it was Big Iron (The best song in any fallout game) and Love Me As Though There Were No Tomorrow (for atmosphere).  For 3, it's Bongo Bongo Bongo I Don't Want To Leave The Congo (for sheer unfomfortableness, it makes me cringe every time, but it's so hilarious to sneak up on raiders and turn the radio to it right before blowing them up, the last thing they hear is "BONGO BONGO BONGO") and I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire (for atmosphere, it's very similar to Love Me As Though There Were No Tomorrow).

Fallout 3 crashes less often, and the movement is smoother, but I miss being able to glitch through locked doors.

So, as for story, 3 is more compelling, but New Vegas has a lot to recommend it.  Both are good games, and are good at different things.
    That's all fair.

Also if you go into the DLC, the best one is Point Lookout
  • Aliroz said:

Vriska said:

am I even here any more

I don't even know

which was nice

Vriska!  I missed you!
    I missed you too! You're adorable and I like having you around
  • Thanks. :)
  • twitch.com/foxqueen

Advertising my friend's stream again, hello
  • I need to clean my 8ody.
    Now that From Software is almost done with Dark Souls, I look forward to Metal Wolf Chaos 2: Second Term
  • So fresh and so clean clean
  • ain't nobody dope as me, I'm dressed so fresh so clean
  • Vriska said:

So fresh and so clean clean

those words

I haven't heard those words in so long
  • I wonder if @Boney and I currently have cleanlink.

The links were fun.