The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• who here has flown recently

I have a life question
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've flown in the last year, does that count?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I flew to Denver and back about 3 weeks ago, myself.
  • OK

first of all, I bought my tickets online, and it kinda seems like all I have to do is show up with a receipt and valid ID, does this sound right?

secondly, what can you take on a plane in terms of electronics? I wanted to bring at least my phone and 3DS along.
    Yeah, usually you can just print out the email you get back and that's your ticket. If you print out the wrong thing there's usually a kiosk you can use to print what you need.

As for electronics, nobody cares as long as they're in airplane mode for takeoff and landing
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What Bunny said. As far as electronics, basically anything goes, with the caveats that (a) you can't use the cell phone network while the plane is in the air, and (b) bigger things like laptops have to be put away during takeoff and landing.

And yeah, you should be able to take that printout to the check-in counter where they'll get you your boarding pass. The boarding pass is what you have to show at the TSA checkpoint, where they'll check the name on the pass against your photo ID.
  • OK.

Thank you, Bun.

and Alice.
    Also, this probably goes without saying, but Chicago's airports are notoriously busy and you're gonna want to leave yourself LOTS of extra time to get through security, for your return trip.
  • I plan on getting to Philly about 4 hours beforehand, do you think that'll be enough on the return trip too?

maybe I should go even earlier...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
    Jane said:

I plan on getting to Philly about 4 hours beforehand, do you think that'll be enough on the return trip too?

maybe I should go even earlier...
    Are you going O'Hare or Midway? I've heard horror stories about Midway lately, but in my experience that should be enough time for O'Hare...
  • uhhhh lemme check my ticket, I actually have forgotten.

I think O'Hare.
    PHL is Philly.

The airport in Chicago is gonna be either ORD or MDW.
  • "The ORD" sounds like the macguffin in a roguelike.
    ORD is O'Hare, so you should be good.

I love Autism Horse so much
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ORD is Type-Mercury's little sister.
    ...Autism Horse?

...Autism Horse?

She's obsessed with geology and has a hard time talking to anyone about anything that's not rock-related

It's great
    oh, a real rocker!
    My experience with airports is that I show up 2 hours early and get through without issue, but DTW is rarely that crowded.

4 hours beforehand sounds like plenty of time.
    CMH is crazy small for a commercial international airport so it's always amazing when I get there like 3 hours before my flight, get through security within 20 minutes, and then I'm like "...now what" as I sit and play on the internet till boarding time.
    All I know is that twitter keeps suggesting i should follow him so he's at least a little popular
  • edited 2016-06-09 17:37:51
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also
    Bunny said:

Man I like the idea of Centralia being some kind of Lovecraftian town where you can't reach it by an known method of transportation and the street signs mysteriously replace themselves when needed

the signs have eyes
    This is one of the few instances where my fantasy world Centralia took inspiration from the real life ex-town Centralia, specifically the abandoned stretch of Pennsylvania Route 61 that was closed after it collapsed into the mine fire.
    Your knowledge of highways and obscure towns is, as always, both awe-inspiring and a little terrifying
    is Centralia PA that obscure? Certainly I heard of it a long time ago, although I live in PA, so.
    Bunny said:

Your knowledge of highways and obscure towns is, as always, both awe-inspiring and a little terrifying

That's going in my forum signature, thanks
    As a Michigander, this town is relatively unknown to me
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Toddpinions til the end of days
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    No, Toddpinions until thursday, and then we stop.
    I look forward to obnoxious nerds quoting this as gospel in an attempt to never have to step outside their comfort zone, just like they have with Doug Walker and Rape Letter Media before
  • edited 2016-06-09 18:50:45
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Odra, we ain't got time fo' nerdnobixous facefaces.

it's time... for the SHUFFLE DANCE!

-shuffles furiously-
    inb4 someone tells me how unfair I, a person Todd doesn't know, and will never know, or hear from, are by being semi-mean to one aspect of the online persona of someone who has legions of adoring fan and a comfortable life in a major metropolitan city.
    It's always fun when people act like I'm a horrible bully for complaining about things while everybody around me is constantly talking about how dumb I am for not liking metal music or George Carlin.
    (2015 self)
    Hey man, I throw darts at pictures of Matt Stone and Trey Parker, I ain't telling you to stop nothing.
    I know.

u_u
    (2015 self)
    We hate what we hate, and we love what we love.

Just as all people do, just as is our right.

Be not ashamed of your own self.
  • edited 2016-06-10 01:06:25
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Just looking at this post was bothersome, so it was edited out.
    Sorry
  • I'm sat on my bedroom floor, surrounded by papers, eating Doritos from a big packet

Zero fucks given
    Toolsie said:

I'm sat on my bedroom floor, surrounded by papers, eating Doritos from a big packet

Zero fucks given

LIKE A BOSS
    Doritos are good
    I think what bothers me about the "repressed sexuality" reading of Lovecraft is that it basically ends up pathologizing asexuality.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, I can see that, but I can also see them as being two distinct interpretations with some degree of overlap. The problem is people treating them like they're the same concept.
    I mean I don't have a problem with analyzing how Lovecraft's ficiton comes partly from the weird, weird, dude he was.

Just don't like "Well anyone this openly uninterested in romance HAS to be fucked up"
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That is fair.

I can see being interested in the way that he avoids romance, though, rather than the fact that he does. Or really how he just doesn't write women. Like, not even "badly," he just doesn't most of the time.
    Sure
    everybody knows that women don exits