The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i had wondered if that was the only reason anyone bought The Sun, but evidently not
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I was always kind of surprised that Britain seemed less moralistic than America

The "page three girls" never would have flown over here
    Also can't you say the F-word, uncensored, on broadcast TV?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Yes, but you can't say "ninja"
  • Anonus said:

we have (had?) page three girls in the Toronto Sun but they have shirts (or bathing suits) on
    Anonus said:

Also can't you say the F-word, uncensored, on broadcast TV?

only after the watershed
  • Anonus said:

i see someone never read the Weekly World News
    Wikipedia said:

When Short tried in 1986 to introduce a House of Commons bill banning topless models from British newspapers, The Sun branded her "killjoy Clare."[21] When Short renewed her campaign against Page 3 in 2004, The Sun superimposed her face on a Page 3 model's body and accused her of being "fat and jealous."[16] The Sun also branded Harman a "feminist fanatic" and Featherstone a "battleaxe" because of their stances against Page 3.[22]

The Sun is so gross.
    sadly, no
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Based on Page 3 girls, I think British people might like boobs even more than Americans.
    Weekly World News is the only good paper
    tbh I always liked Sun better because of how it even further blurred the line between sincerity and satire

though I wonder how in the hell Globe hasn't been sued a million times
    I know they're all published by the same company but still
    I heard that Suicide Squad is coming out in early August, and I am literally dreading the arrival of a movie I want to see, because of the internet and my friends.

Go ahead and own me now, it's what always happens
    I'm resigned to it
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I don't want to own you here.

That's pretty shitty and I'm sorry you have to put up with it.
    consider yourself owned
    please do not like The Sun, it is the worst
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Odradek said:

I heard that Suicide Squad is coming out in early August, and I am literally dreading the arrival of a movie I want to see, because of the internet and my friends.

My sympathies, dude.
  • Odradek said:

(*the last sentence of this post tattoo'd on jared leto's face*)

(*airhorns go off, the words FUCKING OWNED flash on the screen in Impact*)

but on a more serious note, that does suck, but what exactly about the film makes you want to see it?
    i am sorry that you are dreading this movie, nobody should have to feel that way about something they expect to enjoy
  • edited 2016-06-08 00:58:23
    Suicide Squad looks like it could be a lot of fun but uuuuugh Jaredoker looks like garbage and Harley Quinn is one of the easier characters to fuck up

Fingers crossed either way, at least it's colorful
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

please do not like The Sun, it is the worst

The Sun is fine.  The Sun is bad.  Celestia should sue for defamation.
    Not The Sun, the American Sun
    oh, i forgot that was a thing

Odradek said:

(*the last sentence of this post tattoo'd on jared leto's face*)

(*airhorns go off, the words FUCKING OWNED flash on the screen in Impact*)

but on a more serious note, that does suck, but what exactly about the film makes you want to see it?
    It seems like the kind of silly campy fun that has just enough dark comedy flavor to make it actually fun as opposed to the bowl of Lucky Charms fun that seems more in vogue.
  • that makes sense
    Making the Joker an obnoxious "WELCOME TO MY TWISTED MIND" character is just making what every obnoxious edgy teen loved about Ledger Joker more explicit, and thus, helping to defuse that godawful phenomenon.
    Lucky Charms fun?
    Anonus said:

Lucky Charms fun?

Prepackaged cereal fun.

Flavorless marshmallows in colorful shapes fun.
  • Odradek said:

Making the Joker an obnoxious "WELCOME TO MY TWISTED MIND" character is just making what every obnoxious edgy teen loved about Ledger Joker more explicit, and thus, helping to defuse that godawful phenomenon.

you make a good point, but idk if i will ever be able to de-mesh this from jared leto's... actually becoming someone's deviantart OC via method acting?
    It's like, your mom putting marshmallows in your cereal one day might be fun. A company putting one in every box is not fun.
    Odradek said:

Anonus said:

Lucky Charms fun?

Prepackaged cereal fun.

Flavorless marshmallows in colorful shapes fun.
    oh

cereal marshmallows have such an awful texture >~<

Odradek said:

you make a good point, but idk if i will ever be able to de-mesh this from jared leto's... actually becoming someone's deviantart OC via method acting?
    What does it matter if he doesn't get the joke. when you get right down to it?
    i bought Lucky Charms one time out of curiosity and was surprised by how un-marshmallowy the marshmallows were

like i guess they're dried?
    also Odradek what did you think of Kylo Ren?
    I like Lucky Charms

fuck all of you
  • Odradek said:

apparently most of this didn't actually happen and was marketing hype for the movie?

So I've heard anyway. It's hard to know what to believe about this kind of thing.
    Tachyon said:

I honestly kind of felt similarly.

He's a school shooter who's cosplaying as Darth Vader, and that makes him more scary on an interpersonal level and less scary on a macro level. I think it works.
  • I'm just not certain that it's actually a joke, to be honest? A lot of people who are "in the know" say the reshoots mainly were to add more comedy because it was originally more in line with the other DC fare.

There's no denying that the idea of the Joker being a reaction to whiny Tyler Durden-wannabes us a compelling one, but I just don't know if anyone making mainstream movies has that kind of self awareness.
  • edited 2016-06-08 01:19:36
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

He's a school shooter who's cosplaying as Darth Vader, and that makes him more scary on an interpersonal level and less scary on a macro level. I think it works.

that's more or less how i felt about the character
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

I did notice just how many people want to attack him because he didn't display sufficient machismo.
    Kexruct said:

I'm just not certain that it's actually a joke, to be honest? A lot of people who are "in the know" say the reshoots mainly were to add more comedy because it was originally more in line with the other DC fare.

There's no denying that the idea of the Joker being a reaction to whiny Tyler Durden-wannabes us a compelling one, but I just don't know if anyone making mainstream movies has that kind of self awareness.

That ended up coming from a highly dubious source, not someone "in the know"
  • I think the idea that villains are not inherently strong or even competent is a very interesting one and one that very few mainstream works of fiction deal with in any capacity.

Mind you I have not seen enough movies to comment on that particular idea's presence there specifically, but, you know.
    i did not actively dislike Lucky Charms, but would not want them often

which is sorta how i feel about superhero flicks i guess
    Jane said:

I think the idea that villains are not inherently strong or even competent is a very interesting one and one that very few mainstream works of fiction deal with in any capacity.

Mind you I have not seen enough movies to comment on that particular idea's presence there specifically, but, you know.
    i think it's more interesting than people give it credit for, at least

like, Kylo Ren is not a 'badass', but being in the room with him would be terrifying, i think
  • I have had lucky charms once ever I think
    machismo is overrated, in both protagonists and antagonists
  • Incidentally Odie's Lucky Charms metaphor is similar to why I don't like the writing in the Borderlands games.