The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Which is to say, I agree with you, and I do feel like most of the focus on Lovecraft's sex/love aversion has come from a bad or somewhat unfortunate place, but he was definitely an odd man and his choices are worth analysing on various levels.

Like "lanthorn."
    Skull Lanthorn.

It's my new band.
    I'm going to go watch stuff now, because I was going to earlier but yeah.

Incidentally, I watched the last episode of The Good Wife yesterday. Honestly, the last season was disappointing, but the last episode was excellent, if... open-ended.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://thebaffler.com/salvos/delusion-at-the-gastropub-havrilesky

This is one of those pieces that is telling me what its problem is, but I still have no idea what its goddamn problem is
  • kill living beings

They became indignant over the living images that the propserous merchant Bruno Crespi projected in the theater with the lion-head ticket windows, for the character who had died and was buried in one film and for whose misfortune tears of affliction had been shed would reappear alive and transformed into an Arab in the next one. The audience, who paid two cents apiece to share the difficulties of the actors, would not tolerate that outlandish fraud and they broke up the seats.

nobody likes generalizedwhitewashing
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Creepy.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:

Toddpinions til the end of days

I guess I shadowboxed this comment out of existence

'tis for the best
  • I am 5 seconds away from spamming the entire page with embeds of "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I would just like to note that today, 6/9, is unofficially considered Patchouli Day

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Patchypuff!

Cute.
    Odradek said:

I mean I don't have a problem with analyzing how Lovecraft's ficiton comes partly from the weird, weird, dude he was.

Just don't like "Well anyone this openly uninterested in romance HAS to be fucked up"
    This kind of thing makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and broken, and guilty for not 'getting it'.
    People like to blame any kind of weirdness on sexuality

I blame Freud
    i mean specifically the 'lack of evident interest in romance/sex in writing' = writer is f'd up somehow
    well, that too.
    The Kroger pharmacy list my insurance provider as "Senior Dimensions".

I'm 25.

"But it's your parents' health insurance, Centie!" Well, yeah, but they're both under 50. Not exactly "seniors" unless you're a teenager who yells at people my age for using Tumblr.
    maybe it means "seniors in high school"
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    when u and ur friend and other friend be arguing about the veracity of a story about forest lesbians being memed on
    I find lately that a cup of coffee can go a long way toward improving my mood.

Is this something I should worry about?
  • I am not a doctor so I'll say "possibly, but I don't know".
    (2015 self)
    Yes,

Don't drink coffee or any caffeine, those are bad for you.
  • kill living beings
    if it's not going to kill you immediately just ask your GP whenever
    Denver International Airport
    WELCOMES YOU

← Arrivals
    ↑ Departures
    Secret Illuminati Concentration Camp →
  • kill living beings
    >not a downward pointing arrow
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

WELCOMES YOU

← Arrivals
    ↑ Departures
    haha very funny
    Anonus said:

WELCOMES YOU

← Arrivals
    ↑ Departures
    haha very funny
    I'm not allowed to make fun of conspiracy theories? :v
    well, you are

i just hate how they seem to be all anyone knows about DIA
    Oh, right.

See, I find it interesting, because if it were my local airport that had the conspiracy theories, I'd be cracking jokes about them all the time.
  • So the Warcraft movie is crashing and burning, and I can't help feeling some pretty chunky schadenfreude. Not that I have anything against Warcraft in particular, but like most popular ongoing properties, it ends up picking up praise for things it doesn't necessarily do well. That such a financially well-supported movie with substantial skill behind it still didn't make an engaging film says a lot about where the narrative priorities of Warcraft lie, especially given how pedantically true to lore the film apparently stays. 

Blizzard are traditionally good at gameplay, but not necessarily narrative or aesthetic creativity, which is why exactly none of their games can claim that their story, characterisation, or visual enjoyment is their main draw. The aesthetic of their games is invariably made of bright, popping colours and chunky, exaggerated characters; not a poor or wrong aesthetic choice, but not telling of imaginative versatility, either, especially given that the aesthetic was clearly lifted from 80s editions of Games Workshop settings. 

What I'm trying to say here is that when you strip away Blizzard's gameplay strengths, their settings and characters don't have much left. And there's nothing wrong with that in video games, as long as the games are still enjoyable. After all, if one is making a video game, then focusing strength in direct gameplay is the most obvious and sensible thing (before things like unusual gameplay styles and concepts are taken into account). What this Warcraft movie illustrates is that settings like Warcraft and TES don't have much going for them outside of their native contexts, given that their settings, lore, characters, etc. fall well short of their influences. 

And honestly, in most cases, I'd prefer a super basic, generic fantasy setting with characters I can immediately become invested in over a super basic, generic fantasy setting where that isn't possible. 
    Anonus said:

well, you are

i just hate how they seem to be all anyone knows about DIA
    there's also the horse
    i have a major inferiority complex
    if it makes you feel any better, that's 2 distinctive things about DIA, which is 2 more than i could come up with about any other airport, including those that i've actually been to
  • kill living beings

So the Warcraft movie is crashing and burning, and I can't help feeling some pretty chunky schadenfreude. Not that I have anything against Warcraft in particular, but like most popular ongoing properties, it ends up picking up praise for things it doesn't necessarily do well. That such a financially well-supported movie with substantial skill behind it still didn't make an engaging film says a lot about where the narrative priorities of Warcraft lie, especially given how pedantically true to lore the film apparently stays. 

Blizzard are traditionally good at gameplay, but not necessarily narrative or aesthetic creativity, which is why exactly none of their games can claim that their story, characterisation, or visual enjoyment is their main draw. The aesthetic of their games is invariably made of bright, popping colours and chunky, exaggerated characters; not a poor or wrong aesthetic choice, but not telling of imaginative versatility, either, especially given that the aesthetic was clearly lifted from 80s editions of Games Workshop settings. 

What I'm trying to say here is that when you strip away Blizzard's gameplay strengths, their settings and characters don't have much left. And there's nothing wrong with that in video games, as long as the games are still enjoyable. After all, if one is making a video game, then focusing strength in direct gameplay is the most obvious and sensible thing (before things like unusual gameplay styles and concepts are taken into account). What this Warcraft movie illustrates is that settings like Warcraft and TES don't have much going for them outside of their native contexts, given that their settings, lore, characters, etc. fall well short of their influences. 

And honestly, in most cases, I'd prefer a super basic, generic fantasy setting with characters I can immediately become invested in over a super basic, generic fantasy setting where that isn't possible. 
    well that explains that
  • (*i mash the escape key on my keyboard*)
    Tachyon said:

if it makes you feel any better, that's 2 distinctive things about DIA, which is 2 more than i could come up with about any other airport, including those that i've actually been to

people seem divided on the Blue Mustang

Also, did you know that DIA takes up more space than Manhattan, or San Francisco, or Miami?
    Growing up with DIA's fuckhugeness colored my view of other airports
    (2015 self)
    RESURGAM.
    good night
    Anonus said:

Tachyon said:

people seem divided on the Blue Mustang

Also, did you know that DIA takes up more space than Manhattan, or San Francisco, or Miami?
    . . . seriously?

i did not know that!

that's astonishing!
  • edited 2016-06-10 05:17:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    wait, is there a manhattan airport in manhattan
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm hesitant to continue this discussion, but I do think Overwatch is an improvement over that stuff.

Even if it is rooted in generic superhero tropes, the world seems more engaging to me.
  • id say overwatch is a step down because you can avoid warcrafthammer LXIX whereas there i no possible way to avoid overwatch without becoming a stylite
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

wait, is there a manhattan airport in manhattan

nah, it would end up like this at best. there's a heliport though.
  • kill living beings
    geez, this makes me doubt the existence of heavier than air flight
    Planes fly!  Cars drive!  Computers compute!