The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2016-06-10 05:44:58
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Also

Google suggests that Miami is actually slightly larger than DIA, but i guess that depends on what you count as being part of Miami rather than the larger metropolitan area?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tachyon said:

Also

Google suggests that Miami is actually slightly larger than DIA, but i guess that depends on what you count as being part of Miami rather than the larger metropolitan area?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/denver-international-airport-is-bigger-than-manhattan-san-francisco-miami
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    going off Wikipedia . . . it looks like The Denver Channel is counting specifically the land area of Miami, rather than the city as a whole

still pretty amazing, either way
  • kill living beings
    i know it's huge in the abstract, i mean i've been there despite never having a reason to go to colorado, but it doesn't look like it in photos. since it's surrounded by yawning void.
  • id say overwatch is a step down because you can avoid warcrafthammer LXIX whereas there i no possible way to avoid overwatch without becoming a stylite

It's just because it's The New Hot Thing right now. Over time, you're going to get a smaller (but more loyal) subset of folks that love the game because people are just naturally inclined to move on from stuff after a while.

It'll pass.

i know it's huge in the abstract, i mean i've been there despite never having a reason to go to colorado, but it doesn't look like it in photos. since it's surrounded by yawning void.

that's not yawning void, it's prairie
  • kill living beings
    prairie is yawning void

anyway
    Passion of the Christ 2
    what in the shit
  • Tre said:

id say overwatch is a step down because you can avoid warcrafthammer LXIX whereas there i no possible way to avoid overwatch without becoming a stylite

It's just because it's The New Hot Thing right now. Over time, you're going to get a smaller (but more loyal) subset of folks that love the game because people are just naturally inclined to move on from stuff after a while.

It'll pass.
    I understand that

it just seems

even more unavoidable than other things?

like, when big video games come out usually, I barely hear about it

but even in my relative vidya free zone I'm still swamped and not even cute chubby ice lady can make up for it
  • Ah. I'd chalk that up to the archetypal Tumblr target audience having a bigger overlap with the demographic Blizzard is going for with it than most other flavor of the month FPSes, then.

S'understandable that you'd feel like it's everywhere right now, though. One of the reasons I loathe Call of Duty is that same problem, just manifested in a different form.

prairie is yawning void

prairie is great and i will hear no ill spoken of it
  • kill living beings
    hey i like voids

i just call em like i see em and i see the void
  • I'm pretty upset that Warcraft didn't turn out to be The First Good Video Game Movie

I also disagree that the aesthetic is uninteresting; I mean, when it came on the scene it trounced every other MMO out there in large part because of its aesthetic. And I don't think it being derivative of Warhammer is a huge knock on that.
  • I'm sorry Kex but Warcraft never could have been the first good video game movie because Lara Croft: Tomb Raider already exists.

hey i like voids

i just call em like i see em and i see the void

oh

alright

sorry
    Kexruct said:

I'm pretty upset that Warcraft didn't turn out to be The First Good Video Game Movie

universal is very skilled at selling garbage
  • oh my god are we actually gonna have The Warcraft Conversation?

I feel like I've stepped into a time portal to 2005.

I mean it's technically about the movie, but still. Quick, someone bring up EverQuest II.
  • Jane said:

oh my god are we actually gonna have The Warcraft Conversation?

I feel like I've stepped into a time portal to 2005.

I mean it's technically about the movie, but still. Quick, someone bring up EverQuest II.
    all we need to do is skip back four more years and we can talk about Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • I mean I'm playing Pokemon in 2016 so who am I to talk I guess.
    Honestly, that movie feels a decade overdue to me anyway

Anyway, EverQuest II
    and if it helps, I think this looks like one of the least appealing crops of summer movies in recent memory
  • I'm sorry Kex but Warcraft never could have been the first good video game movie because Lara Croft: Tomb Raider already exists.

Sincerity: I thought the Final Fantasy VII movie was pretty good, for what amounted to an OVA continuation of a JRPG

• yeah ok but it probably wasn't as good as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Kexruct said:

I'm pretty upset that Warcraft didn't turn out to be The First Good Video Game Movie

I also disagree that the aesthetic is uninteresting; I mean, when it came on the scene it trounced every other MMO out there in large part because of its aesthetic. And I don't think it being derivative of Warhammer is a huge knock on that.

Horses for courses; I really dislike the Warcraft aesthetic, and I really dislike that Warcraft's success has caused so much proliferation of that aesthetic approach in fantasy video games. That its drawn from old school Warhammer isn't inherently bad, although I will say that Games Workshop's models have become increasingly attractive as newer casting technologies continue to remove design limitations, and in turn have allowed more diverse aesthetics. A good example is how Warhammer dwarves and orcs remain pretty blocky, 'cause that suits them, but the likes of Bretonnia and the elves have become super sleek now that the models themselves can carry that aesthetic. 

I'm totally happy for people to enjoy what they enjoy, but Warcraft's success (as both an RTS and MMO) has been dependent on it being judged as a series of video games, and carrying some of those elements outside of that context was probably not the best idea. Blocky characters with popping colours have objective benefits in an RTS or an early 2000s MMO, and even if I'm not terribly fond of that art style, I can appreciate its benefits. 
  • Kexruct said:

I'm sorry Kex but Warcraft never could have been the first good video game movie because Lara Croft: Tomb Raider already exists.

Sincerity: I thought the Final Fantasy VII movie was pretty good, for what amounted to an OVA continuation of a JRPG

I will say that I was entertained by it pretty thoroughly, and I'm not particularly invested in Final Fantasy. It probably helps that it's pretty fast-paced, avoiding any issues associated with dilly-dallying entirely. 
  • I have just washed my hair with conditioner before shampoo.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I wouldn't say that Overwatch necessarily has "good" characters but I definitely love how completely over the top they went with everyone. Everyone is basically a certain stereotype or trope taken up to eleven, whether its the cowboy or people from a Mad Max style apocalypse. It makes for just a very fun environment to goof around in
  • What exactly is Overwatch? I've heard lots about it, but don't exactly know what it is.
  • Bunny said:

I wouldn't say that Overwatch necessarily has "good" characters but I definitely love how completely over the top they went with everyone. Everyone is basically a certain stereotype or trope taken up to eleven, whether its the cowboy or people from a Mad Max style apocalypse. It makes for just a very fun environment to goof around in

This basically sums up how I feel about Overwatch characters. They have a lot more spit and polish to them than, say, TF2, but a lot less substance. In some ways that's good, in some ways that's bad. 
    Toolsie said:

What exactly is Overwatch? I've heard lots about it, but don't exactly know what it is.

Blizzard made a first person shooter. 6 vs 6. Modes reminiscent of TF2, like Payload and Capture The Point. 21 playable characters, most of them complete stereotypes but written in a way that makes the stereotype a 'good' thing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I just feel bad for Duncan Jones
  • I think he'll be fine. If the critical reception to his pre-WarCraft stuff is any indication, he's a talented guy who probably just got hampered with the limitations of the source material. You can only do so much with Orcs and dorks, y'know.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Moon was a great film, and enough to earn forgiveness for another bomb or two.

Speaking of sci-fi films...

When Sharp and Goodwin entered Sunspring in the Sci-Fi London contest, they were delighted when the judges placed it into the top ten out of hundreds of entries. One judge, award-winning sci-fi author Pat Cadigan, said, "I'll give them top marks if they promise never to do this again." Before the final judging, audience members were allowed to vote online for their favorite film from the top ten. As the filmmakers watched thousands of votes rolling in, Goodwin realized something. "These guys are cheating; they’re getting thousands of votes, they’re getting bots to vote for themselves," he said to Sharp. That's when he and Sharp came up with a nefarious plan. "I said, [Benjamin] is going to outvote them at the last minute," Sharp recalled. "So we had him vote 36,000 times per hour in last hours of the contest, and he crushed the cheaters." Sharp immediately called Louis Savy, who runs the film festival, and confessed that their AI had voted for himself and that they wanted to distance themselves from the AI's actions. Savy thought that was hilarious and decided to interview the AI on stage during the award ceremony. Here's part of the transcript:

What do you think of your historic nomination against human opponents in this contest?
    I was pretty excited.
    I think I can see the feathers when they release their hearts. It's like a breakdown of the facts. So they should be competent with the fact that they won't be surprised.

What is the future of machine written entertainment?
    It's a bit sudden.
    I was thinking of the spirit of the men who found me and the children who were all manipulated and full of children. I was worried about my command. I was the scientist of the Holy Ghost.

What's next for you?
    Here we go. The staff is divided by the train of the burning machine building with sweat. No one will see your face. The children reach into the furnace, but the light is still slipping to the floor. The world is still embarrassed.
    The party is with your staff.
    My name is Benjamin.

Ever since that day, Sharp and Goodwin have called the AI by its chosen name.

• Kexruct said:

I'm sorry Kex but Warcraft never could have been the first good video game movie because Lara Croft: Tomb Raider already exists.

I will say that I was entertained by it pretty thoroughly, and I'm not particularly invested in Final Fantasy. It probably helps that it's pretty fast-paced, avoiding any issues associated with dilly-dallying entirely. 
    I watched the terrible dub
    The best video game movie is probably one of the Pokemon movies
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'd nominate Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie

You know, the OVA from the 90s.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    ITT Heapers forget the genuinely good Professor Layton movie.
  • Odradek said:

The best video game movie is probably one of the Pokemon movies

Oh man, I loved the Jirachi Wish Maker one as a kid.
    i never saw that one

looking back i think Pokémon 3 was probably the best, though i was always partial to Pokémon 4Ever
    Pokémon: The Movie 2000 had an unexpectedly good theme song

• edited 2016-06-10 17:05:15
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

Pokémon: The Movie 2000 had an unexpectedly good theme song

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When my parents ask when I'm going to get a job

• What started this craze of video game films?
    Toolsie said:

What started this craze of video game films?

Starts with an M and ends with an oney

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    99 reasons that you will never be as great as Mawile.
    Nerds should not be allowed to comment on the acting abilities of actresses ever.
    I am tired of random-ass people being targeted as whipping girls while men who give a sub-par performance get a basic pass.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    what is alice in wonderland even about
  • Seriously, the whole story is what happens when you smoke bad weed.
    no it's actually about morbid jokes

'Well!' thought Alice to herself, 'after such a fall as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling down stairs! How brave they'll all think me at home! Why, I wouldn't say anything about it, even if I fell off the top of the house!' (Which was very likely true.)

'Seven years and six months!' Humpty Dumpty repeated thoughtfully. 'An uncomfortable sort of age. Now if you'd asked my advice, I'd have said "Leave off at seven"—but it's too late now.'
    'I never ask advice about growing,' Alice said indignantly.
    'Too proud?' the other inquired.
    Alice felt even more indignant at this suggestion. 'I mean,' she said, 'that one can't help growing older.'
    'One can't, perhaps,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'but two can. With proper assistance, you might have left off at seven.'
    'What a beautiful belt you've got on!' Alice suddenly remarked.
    (They had had quite enough of the subject of age, she thought: and if they really were to take turns in choosing subjects, it was her turn now.)