The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    64 is dead.

It lies slain, killed in the year of 2002. Brutally slaughtered, by the dread monster.

Nintendo.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    64 was nearly killed by Atari, but Nintendo managed to bring some honor back to its name.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

saving this image was a good decision
    you girlyroad
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

you girlyroad

you know it
    superheroes are ridiculous
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2015-10-22 03:43:02
    I never forgot how much I love Back to the Future, but damned if I don't appreciate it a hell of a lot more now

There was a double feature at the local movie theatre of the first two. Sponsored by Calvin Klein. It had an ad for a hover board featuring a white guy with dreads and a trailer for Jaws 19
  • The Jaws 19 trailer also included summaries of the other fourteen that we haven't seen.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The Cubs were supposed to win the 2015 World Series, but they won't even get there
    I am going to learn to play the theme music
  • Also it's funny seeing that Rick and Morty is only marginally more batshit in its plotting than the work it parodies.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I've been Stevening so long that now I read "Perdiot" with a hard t by default

Crap, now I'm doing it, too.

Imagining it with a French accent helps to get you back on base.
    Tucker said:

Also it's funny seeing that Rick and Morty is only marginally more batshit in its plotting than the work it parodies.

so R&M actually DOES parody BTTF and didn't just take one of the designs/the names from it

Ha! THERE IS A PLACE FOR POP-CULTURED CARTOONS THESE DAYS
    Jaws XIV: Sharks In Space
    Substitute Jaws for The Fast and the Furious and you have your modern Universal franchise :P
    this time it's really really really personal
  • Anonus said:

Tucker said:

Also it's funny seeing that Rick and Morty is only marginally more batshit in its plotting than the work it parodies.

so R&M actually DOES parody BTTF and didn't just take one of the designs/the names from it

the original version was significantly more blatant about it

(caution: about as NSFW as is gets)
  • edited 2015-10-22 04:16:42
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

Tucker said:

Well, the basis for R&M was in a more direct parody of BTTF that the show's creator did about a decade ago, so...
    BttF day is over and not one flying DeLorean :(

BttF day is over and not one flying DeLorean :(

But what if there was a DeLorean... on a plane?! ~dun dun dun~
    that's silly, planes are for snakes.
    Are you implying that a DeLorean can't be a snake?
    snakes don't have gull-wing doors.
    Snakes can totally be seagulls, if they just believe! It is the miracle of life.
    ok you win
  • edited 2015-10-22 04:33:15
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Natürlich.

Androids always win. Even when it looks like they've lost.
  • kill living beings
    apparently "octave" is used in electronics and means "the same thing" (2x frequency). neat
    rayman said:

apparently "octave" is used in electronics and means "the same thing" (2x frequency). neat

Weird!
  • I use the mana of these two plains to summon SNAKES!!!
  • kill living beings
    0vvvv0 said:

rayman said:

Weird!
    i mean, it's not weird, in that it's literally the same thing, but it's weird in that it implies that engineers cared about culture at some point. hard to iamgine................
  • kill living beings
    i was clicking through youtube and found a pretty nice soundtrack and i looked up the game and it's an HL2 mod. now THAT'S weird
  • kill living beings
    legomonen
    rayman said:

0vvvv0 said:

rayman said:

Weird!
    i mean, it's not weird, in that it's literally the same thing, but it's weird in that it implies that engineers cared about culture at some point. hard to iamgine................

That's my point. I mean, wouldn't they just say they doubled the frequency a few times or something? But I guess "went up three octaves" is more succinct.
  • edited 2015-10-22 05:46:41
    kill living beings
    yeah, took me a while to get t hrough the terminology, honestly

the thing is that if you don't use logarithmic scaling for things it gets pretty stupid rapidly. much easier to say e.g. "A first-order filter's response rolls off at −6 dB per octave" (what prompted this) than "a first-order filter's response rolls off by a factor of 1/4 every frequency doubling". puts everything on a log-log scale which gives you a linear rolloff as it says
    engineers care about culture, ha ha ha
  • Coming down with a cold. Shit.
    rayman said:

the thing is that if you don't use logarithmic scaling for things it gets pretty stupid rapidly. much easier to say e.g. "A first-order filter's response rolls off at −6 dB per octave" (what prompted this) than "a first-order filter's response rolls off by a factor of 1/4 every frequency doubling". puts everything on a log-log scale which gives you a linear rolloff as it says

Oh, you explicitly mean in terms of audio engineering. I thought that you meant electrical engineering or something, which would be odder, though there is overlap.
  • kill living beings
    0vvvv0 said:

rayman said:

Oh, you explicitly mean in terms of audio engineering. I thought that you meant electrical engineering or something, which would be odder, though there is overlap.
    no, this is electrical engineering. filters are in electronics too (and do basically the same thing, with AC instead of sound of course)

anyway i hate this class despite liking the subject. maybe i can get a job as an engineer and con them into paying for a doctorate in neuroscience
    crash course in brain surgery
  • kill living beings
    take a metal probe, whish it around in some cortex or another... no problem
  • Having a cold is the worst thing ever because your internal body temperature is out of sync.

So today is due to be a mild and sunny day with highs of 14 degrees. However, I want nothing more than to wrap up warm to go outside but run the risk of melting when the temperature heats up and I'm dressed like an eskimo and make my cold, ironically, worse.
  • edited 2015-10-22 06:59:03
    kill living beings
    here is how i know you need electrical filters: when you take a worm and you stab it with electrodes and run things through an amp, you get some spikes, but you also get this stupid sawtooth wave at 60 Hz cos that's the mains frequency. so you filter that bullshit out, because it sucks
  • But then it could happen the opposite way where I go out in just a hoodie and jeans and don't wrap up warm for the temperature to take a turn for the worst and I come home all wet and even more cold.
  • edited 2015-10-22 07:05:42
    ಠ_ಠ
    Just been outside. Diagnosis: bit nippy, but should survive with a hoodie
    hoodies are good

...ie
  • I have a University hoodie that is massive on me. And it's oh-so-snugly warm