The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

I did not, link me.

here u go

• I did not, link me.

here u go

so basically fps (as in frames-per-second) are most relevant to FPS (as in first person shooter) games, and have variably less relevance in pretty much all other other genres, but their relevance depends basically on the relevance of quick mouse aim.

(which would, incidentally, explain why I don't seem to care much at all about it, since I play very few FPS, racing, or even fighting games, even though yeah I know you said fighting games are best at around 30fps.)

as for FOV, that's inherently a 3D thing, and strangely, even when playing on computer, I find myself most comfortable with ~60 degree FOV.  I've tried Portal 2 with 90 degree FOV and it makes me uncomfortable.  In fact, it took me a while to figure out why a number of FPS games have given me what some people call "simulation sickness", and finally I realized that it had to do with FOV.  Some people say that higher FOV usually solves this, but for me strangely enough the solution has been lower FOV.  Lower FOV means less distortion and less "fisheye" effect in the display of one's environment, so for me it significantly reduces the feeling of disorientation caused by these effects.  I'm still not quite sure how that disorientation happens, but that distortion seems to play a role, as do "laggy" controls.

I rarely play console games these days, so console FPSes are even rarer.  I have played Metroid Prime on a TV set, about 20 or so inches diagonal I think, and I don't remember what the FOV is in that game, though it did give me some headaches.  I sat much further from the TV than I would from a computer screen, of course, though.
  • edited 2015-10-22 20:15:16
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Yeah, you've got it. You'll also see benefits in games that require precise mouse movements, but those are generally also the ones that require fast mouse movements.

If you look into people in Counter-Strike threads you'll find a lot of them talking about setting themselves up for 100+ frames a second. I haven't played in a while but I played being happy to stay around 45. I upgraded my computer significantly since then, though...
  • some CSGO players also play on really shitty rigs on purpose, so I've heard anyway.
  • edited 2015-10-22 20:26:57
    So, no hot water at the house over here. Been like that for a couple of days. Man, I hope it won't be too expensive to fix.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

The old red-and-white livery is tackier looking than the new silver livery, but it also stands out more, which I think is kinda important when blocking streets and/or lanes of traffic is something your vehicle will be used for on a regular basis.

Thoughts?

• kill living beings

some CSGO players also play on really shitty rigs on purpose, so I've heard anyway.

lo fi MLG
  • kill living beings

The old red-and-white livery is tackier looking than the new silver livery, but it also stands out more, which I think is kinda important when blocking streets and/or lanes of traffic is something your vehicle will be used for on a regular basis.

Thoughts?
    is it for real called "livery"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...You've never heard "livery" used to describe the paint scheme/graphics on a vehicle?
  • TitleName said:

So, no hot water at the house over here. Been like that for a couple of days. Man, it won't be too expensive to fix.

I've been there, that blows.
    rayman said:

some CSGO players also play on really shitty rigs on purpose, so I've heard anyway.

lo fi MLG
    the argument is that since it looks worse you have to "look harder" which makes you play better

:shrugs into infinity:
  • edited 2015-10-22 20:31:17

Yeah, you've got it. You'll also see benefits in games that require precise mouse movements, but those are generally also the ones that require fast mouse movements.

If you look into people in Counter-Strike threads you'll find a lot of them talking about setting themselves up for 100+ frames a second. I haven't played in a while but I played being happy to stay around 45. I upgraded my computer significantly since then, though...

This is starting to sound like the people discussing incremental changes in full-body swimsuit design for the Olympics.

In other words, improvements in performance in a competitive activity based on using technological advantages of questionable ethics.
  • edited 2015-10-22 20:33:57
    The rabbit hole of competitiveness is one that is not for me.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I remember someone grumbling about archival priorities (using "racist donald duck cartoons" in dismissal) and while me getting indignant about old PC games makes it silghtly ironic, it made me wonder if thanks to copyright, a lot of successful archival is probably going to be inconsequential shit (like "K-Mart store cassettes").

in japan, woodcut paintings were thought of as cheap and disposable, and were given to foreigners as basically a scam, "lol stupid gaijin think this shit is valuable"

nowadays, japanese art historians take trips to the united states, one particular university here has the biggest collection of woodcut paintings

copyright's its own issue and i feel you there but "inconsequential shit" often turns out to be very interesting from an academic point of view.  i mean, you aren't going to get an idea of how the average roman lived from fucking cicero or fucking aeneas
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    fucking cicero
  • edited 2015-10-22 21:17:23
    I do not agree that the game deserves to bomb. Will it actually do so, though? Well, I think it's very likely to underperform. Threads like this(and the response to them) show us that a vocal segment the folks who are typically the positive ambassadors for the game(in this case, the backers) are so fundamentally upset that they're convincing those less invested but still potentially interested(I am of the latter category) that the whole thing is @$$ and doomed. Whether or not the game plays well, it has an enormous albatross around its neck(the graphics and general dissatisfaction) that'll require majorly good scores from reviewers to counter(and the demo and gameplay thus far show a decent game to many, me included, but nothing amazing).

Simply put: I believe the negative buzz around this game is strong enough to make it DOA unless there's something really special in there that nobody has witnessed yet, and that is extremely unlikely at this point.

This is why I hate the hype and fandoms, and frequently prefer to discover and play games without people chattering all about them around me.

Focus on the game. Stop having expectations about what it should or shouldn't be. Be open-minded. Don't think in tropes. Don't come in with expectations. In fact, what you should do to truly enjoy something is to try your best to hold off any expectations you might be forming, in order to keep an open mind about anything that might happen in them.

(quote source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13779981090A33480400&page=92#2281 )
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    :3 said:

Torgo said:

crosspost this to the ultimate meme thread pls
    We have an ultimate meme thread?
  • Every story is individual
  • I'm sorry, i can't tell sarcasm on the internet.

So stop sarcasming, because you're mucking up the communication.
  • No, if you're trying to communicate, it's not your individualistic expression time.
  • edited 2015-10-22 21:19:59
    okay fine perhaps i should also be less cryptic

though if i were less cryptic i'd just be causing more arguments and drama (some of it inter-community)
  • to enjoy a Loot Crate you have to basically have patronized a large number of series or been part of a large numer of fandoms

also pretty specifically fandoms that are large and famous and relatively "mainstream" within the geekystuff metafandom -- for example, far as I'm aware they don't offer random Touhou fan-merch in it

so yeah, not for me.
  • edited 2015-10-22 21:29:10
    I've recently played Freedom Planet and apparently a Symphogear GX character is also named Carol.  This makes posts in the Symphogear thread on TVT somewhat more amusing.

Though I shouldn't be reading them anyway because spoilers.
  • edited 2015-10-22 21:28:41

TVT

See?  When I'm totally honest and open about everything that I do, people tend to get mad and sensitive about stuff.

Still, it's quite gratifying to be honest and open.

Seriously, learn to be less sensitive and more open and honest.

Edit: yeah I know, no one here has (yet) gotten mad about me mentioning TVT, and few people get mad at a mere mention of it.  I'm just thinking of how ragging on TVT seems to be a hobby in various corners of the internet.
  • Fun hobby: stating a quality of one thing when something else that is more notable also has that quality or that one thing also has another quality that is more notable, but NOT to imply that that latter thing or quality is less notable.

in other words, fun hobby: technically correct statements
  • I should stop posting here and go back to reading this paper.
  • Ranked up in GTA Online

Never been so happy
  • edited 2015-10-22 22:10:22
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Calica said:

I remember someone grumbling about archival priorities (using "racist donald duck cartoons" in dismissal) and while me getting indignant about old PC games makes it silghtly ironic, it made me wonder if thanks to copyright, a lot of successful archival is probably going to be inconsequential shit (like "K-Mart store cassettes").

in japan, woodcut paintings were thought of as cheap and disposable, and were given to foreigners as basically a scam, "lol stupid gaijin think this shit is valuable"

nowadays, japanese art historians take trips to the united states, one particular university here has the biggest collection of woodcut paintings

copyright's its own issue and i feel you there but "inconsequential shit" often turns out to be very interesting from an academic point of view.  i mean, you aren't going to get an idea of how the average roman lived from fucking cicero or fucking aeneas
    There's other value to that sort of thing, sure, such as cultural
    inferences for historians. I've just got archival on my mind right now.
    There's just much better stuff out there right now that will very likely
    be lost, even if it's technically still available now and isn't
    archived.

Rat Chaos was released 3 years ago, for free on the internet, and it's just a "game" made of hyperlink text. IE, very easy to archive. Most of the game is dadaist nonsense, but near the end of the game you get this passage.

Rat Chaos was recently re-uploaded by Robert Yang here, but I found it by searching ""rat chaos"" on Twitter and switching to Live feed. (It has 6 retweets.) You won't find it on search engines; all of the current public links are dead.

But you can find an archival of K-Mart cassettes online, converted from cassettes to audio files, (reasonably) safely stored and easy to copy for yourself.

It's not fair for me to express outrage simply because one public thing gets archived and some obscure thing doesn't, through no conscious decision being made. But I would much rather see, eg, fringe and minority art being archived than department store jingles and announcements, and hearing about this K-Mart stuff is (admittedly microscopic) information regarding What's Getting Archived.

classic
  • Music class went pretty ok today. Learned about the non-chord tones with Passing tones, Neighboring tones, Appoggiatura and etcs and got an A on the test from Tuesday.

I'm actually kinda proud of myself for doing relatively well in this class.
    what's a neighboring tone
  • Er... Neighbor tone. Usually occurs on the weak beat by going up a step and back down a step.

I might have screwed up already. Go, me. :T
  • edited 2015-10-23 00:09:20
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, to be fair, I wouldn't know anyway.

As a wannabe musician I should know these things but...I don't
  • GG Allin attended a screening of Hated just days before his death.[2] While the film was being shown, a heavily intoxicated Allin threw several beer bottles at the movie screen, one of which injured a woman. As a result, the screening was halted and Allin fled just before police arrived.[3] Although he never saw the complete film, Allin was happy with the light in which Todd Phillips had portrayed him, and gave the director positive feedback and a hug the day after the screening.[3]
  • It's fine. I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff, but I'm willing to share if people ask.
    Hmm...

In chem lab we label our test tubes with "Industrial" Sharpies and now I find myself wondering what the difference is between an Industrial Sharpie and a regular Sharpie.
  • I am listening to my mother recount a debate about religeon she got involved in in a thread for people with aspergers on a vaping forum
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    :3 said:

I am listening to my mother recount a debate about religeon she got involved in in a thread for people with aspergers on a vaping forum

You have a weird mom
  • she's the best
    my mom is scared of computers
    and rightly so
  • what's a neighboring tone

Play C chord. Now sing "do re do". The "re" is a neighbor tone. If it were "do re mi", the "re" would be a passing tone.
    oh
  • Test rhymes with best, which rhymes with rest.

• kill living beings
    why this
    wut
    image Central Avenue
    image Anonus
    image Naney
    image Crystal
    image Imipolex G
    I like that
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    if you adjusted that cow's facial proportions slightly, gave him a red hat, a black mane, and black outlines for nostrils, he'd be Quick Draw McGraw