The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Collect calls.

Collect all the calls.

Put them in a jar.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

"God gives bread to those that have no teeth" is a good saying.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Latinized names for non-Western philosophers which are better known than their actual names: Alhazen, Averroes, Avicebron, Avicenna, Confucius, Gersonides, Maimonides, Mencius

there's also Omar Khayyam, who is chiefly known by an Anglicized name (and best known for his poetry, although he was also a mathematician and philosopher)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Exceptions: Al-Khwarizmi, Lao Tzu, Basho, Zalzal, Safi ad-Din.
  • the Ruby Yacht of Omar Khyyam (lms if you get the reference)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anyway, I'm gonna sleep now. Bye!
    i get the pun but i don't think i get the reference

good night Sredni
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    :3 said:

the Ruby Yacht of Omar Khyyam (lms if you get the reference)

God I need to watch this storyline
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I am woefully incomplete in my viewing
    Omar Khayyam knew Hassan Ih-Sabbah of the Hashashin fame personally.
  • Torgo said:

Why is he still called Confucius instead of Kongzi

no one seems to be able to agree on the romanization of the latter

also people already know who Confucius is.

It's one of those things that'll take a while to change. Like Cheops / Khufu
  • i cycled up wrynose pass today and my legs have a message for you all which is as follows:

ow
  • also I've never been at 48mph on a bicycle before, that was fun
    >cycled up wrynose pass

that's impressive, sincere good for you
  • it turns out that the razor blades from Walgreen's are p good
  • edited 2015-10-20 21:17:27
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Torgo said:

Also all countries should be called by the names they call themselves.

Spotted a potential difficulty here, some countries have more than one name in more than one local language.

e.g. my country has 2 official names, the United Kingdom and y Deyrnas Unedig. That's not too tricky, i guess either would be acceptable internationally.

But there are other names which also have a claim to legitimacy: an Ríocht Aontaithe, an Rìoghachd Aonaichte, the Unitit Kinrick & an Ruwvaneth Unys, all of which are from natively spoken languages.

Then there are immigrant languages, such as Urdu and Punjabi, which have significant numbers of speakers here, as well as ceremonial languages like Latin and French (which is also a reasonably common immigrant language here).
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

also I've never been at 48mph on a bicycle before, that was fun

D:
  • ^ hey, it was fun!
    OpAPHID said:

>cycled up wrynose pass

that's impressive, sincere good for you

thx

it was funny because this guy on a really flashy road bike with rapha branded Lycra and everything went zooming past me at the bottom and as i saw him getting further up he was obviously struggling and ended up having to get off and walk to the top

meanwhile i went steadier and got all the way to the top without having to walk or even stop!!
  • rayman said:
    this makes me realize just how much womens fashion is a foreign country to me
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I finally got a tumblr account.

Well, this is my second, but I never used that one.
  • if i was a woman i would wear denim culottes every day
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ROAD WORK AHEAD

ALL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS USE RIGHT 2 LANES
  • seriously culottes are the coolest thing
    I sometimes consider myself as a better slow thinker than a fast thinker.
    Torgo said:

I sometimes consider myself as a better slow thinker than a fast thinker.

This has made me bad at arguments.
  • im definitely that way
  • What if Dusty wore culottes?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When I try fast-thinking I end up letting emotion take over and I go on weird anarchist rants and piss off Jane and drive off Naney, so I feel ya.

Even though I don't think that's quite what you had in mind.
  • Idea: Parody of obnoxious GamerGate youtuber Sargon of Akkad called Pierre Bezukhov. He uses a picture of Anatole Kuragin as his icon.

This is my favorite kind of joke because it relies on a decent grasp of two completely different subjects for a very small payoff.
    (2015 self)

When I try fast-thinking I end up letting emotion take over and I go on weird anarchist rants and piss off Jane and drive off Naney, so I feel ya.

But that's the thing, Centie.  You're the admin.  You don't have to consult other people, this is your site.

Nobody, other than the other admins, can tell you what to do.

Yarrunmace said: Harley Quinn said:When I try fast-thinking I end up letting emotion take over and I go on weird anarchist rants and piss off Jane and drive off Naney, so I feel ya.

But that's the thing, Centie.  You're the admin.  You don't have to consult other people, this is your site.
    Nobody, other than the other admins, can tell you what to do.

Yeah, but here's the thing: If I alienate all my friends, I'll be the only one
    left on the website, and that'd be boring. :P
    (2015 self)
    At  the very least you can write down the rants and put them in a private message to yourself.

It's very satisfying, and it lets you review your views and how they change.
    That's not actually that bad an idea, though I think I'd simplify it to just keeping an online diary. :P
    (2015 self)
    Being alienated is no reason to leave a website.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Confucius is kept around because it goes well with "Confucianism." I'd like for westerners to go for "Ru" or "Kongjiao" (Kong's teachings) or "Kongjia" (the house of Kong), but the damage has already been done.

I don't like "Lao Tzu," I prefer Laozi.
    (2015 self)
    It kind of saddens me that you are gagged and silenced on your own website, that you censor yourself.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Everywhere you go, you have to navigate what you want with what other people want. There's no escape.

Anyway, I'm going for my first psychotherapy session later.
    Gom Jabbar
  • zoidberg
    (2015 self)
    Everywhere but your own domain, the space that is uniquely yours.

A closet that locks from the inside where you can scream, a hiding place in a tree where nobody can find you, somewhere to which you can retreat and not have to negotiate.

And, well, what is a forum if not the domain of the administrator?
    What you're describing is a private diary blog.

I have one of those, but I keep forgetting to use it.
  • I have purple nail polish. Not on yet but it is shiny and pretty and I should paint my toenails with it or something.

But not right now 'cause I am getting tired and may head off early.
  • but before I go have a Zoidberg.

(2015 self)
    No, I mean, the purpose of a forum is for the admins to have their own place to do what they want.
    (2015 self)
    Why else would they be able to ban people?

Why else would there be such a unique situation of expression?
  • edited 2015-10-21 01:12:24
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I mean, on other forums, admins ban people for looking at 'em funny.  Or for disagreeing.

How do you not abuse that power?

If I was an admin, I'd be such a dictator.  How do you have this opportunity and then not ban anyone who dares tell you otherwise than what you think?

I like how baby Ice Bear doesn't talk.