The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

He wrote a comic and he writes exactly the same way he talks

I want to do an extremely dramatic and metal reading of this, but my mic isn't plugged in and I want a good take. Bug me about this later.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I never thought about it before, but it's weird that Microsoft has been aggressively pushing Windows 10, an entirely new operating system, but didn't use similar automatic-installation tactics with Windows 8.1 even though that was basically just a service pack for Windows 8.
    Jane said:

that actually might have been on the HHH slack group BUT STILL

It must don't recall a conversation about a bricked laptop.

It was because of Windows 10, though? Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad.
  • Odradek said:

He wrote a comic and he writes exactly the same way he talks

I want to do an extremely dramatic and metal reading of this, but my mic isn't plugged in and I want a good take. Bug me about this later.
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0LuC3fIammo
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what's a good name for a Mexican prostitute
    No ideas? Well, I have an announcement to make anyway: I'm probably going to be without internets for a few days or so.

Please don't let this place burn down in my absence, ok?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    No promises.
    Just do your best.
  • I promise I won't just "let" this place burn down.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The proof is that we know God must exist and have a good deal of influence in the world as we know it because cute and largely defenseless animals survive in the wild. Particularly, as in the title, Red Pandas, which are so gloriously cute in both their looks and their behavior, especially in snow, and make me so happy even on bad days, that they simply must be the handiwork of a God of omniscient powers over the creation of the environment, and extraordinary powers in both cuteness and psychology. What other conception of Theism exists that could satisfy the characteristics of such a deity than the Christian Deity?
    Haven said:

I promise I won't just "let" this place burn down.

ಠ_ಠ
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

The proof is that we know God must exist and have a good deal of influence in the world as we know it because cute and largely defenseless animals survive in the wild. Particularly, as in the title, Red Pandas, which are so gloriously cute in both their looks and their behavior, especially in snow, and make me so happy even on bad days, that they simply must be the handiwork of a God of omniscient powers over the creation of the environment, and extraordinary powers in both cuteness and psychology. What other conception of Theism exists that could satisfy the characteristics of such a deity than the Christian Deity?

r/badphilosophy?
  • Odradek said:

the most convincing argument ive seen thus far tbqh
    Yes
  • Tachyon said:

Odradek said:

r/badphilosophy?
    that would imply that this is bad philosophy though, when in fact this is an intellectual tour de force

from the afterlife, Thomas Aquinas sheds a single tear and breaks into applause
    no i mean r/badphilosophy like their red pandas
  • everyone on reddit likes their red pandas

it's like the reddit national animal
    jumpingzombie has a red panda
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    If Kanye West becomes a philospher, will his new name be Kante West?

Fiddles are historically associated with the devil not through any Christian imagery, but because older European folk tradition held that several uber powerful water demons, known as nock, nikyr, necks, etc, were insanely good fiddle players.

In Norway, for example, the violin known as the Hardanger fiddle was played initially by the creepy otherwordly beings, like the hulderfolk, the trolls, as well as the nock. There are equivalents in other European cultures.

These beings were known as preternaturally skilled fiddle players, the nocks above all others. So some people would make a deal to learn the fiddle from the nock, or have their children trained. The only problem being nocks usually needed life or blood sacrifices to learn their skills.

So as Christianity was introduced, the water demon nock was conflated with the devil. Because other stories of nykyrs, nocks, etc were generally sacrificing a human to appease treacherous tides, which was the pinnacle of terror.

The devil knows the fiddle, because the ancient tradition is that if you can win your freedom from the nocks, they will honor this pact. 

meanwhile the devil went down to Georgia
    People on the internet like to accuse things of being philosophy 101 or pretentious art student bullshit.

Note: Literally no credible critic outside of video games does this.

This includes you, Tony Goldmark
    Video game criticism is in its infancy, like surgery.
  • But surgery is the definition of cutting edge technology.
  • Video game criticism is in its infancy, like surgery.

sometimes a baby is an ugly baby who is actually baby hitler

Video game criticism is in its infancy, like surgery.

sometimes a baby is an ugly baby who is actually baby hitler
    This is very wise
    was baby Hitler ugly?
    this is an important question

was baby Hitler ugly?

1445638772_537132877_adolf-hitler-zoom.jpg
    well, no uglier than most babies.
    hitler-class.jpg

This is Hitler in school, at the top far right.

Below him and three rows to the left is a young Ludwig Wittgenstein
    they went to school together? did not know that
  • when people say "video game criticism is in its infancy"

1. video game criticism may be, but criticism as a whole sure isn't. and video games are not such a radically different medium that a lot of critical techniques cant port over.

2. even babies know how to do basic homeostasis things, whereas video game critics consistently fail to understand the basics of critiquing media. this comparison is therefore an insult to babies.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Are you really just trying to be as negative as possible?
    I was joking about video game criticism being in its infancy

I'm not sure that serious video game criticism is really a worthwhile thing anyway.
    Wittgenstein and Hitler were born just six days apart, though Hitler had been held back a year, while Wittgenstein was moved forward by one, so they ended up two grades apart at the Realschule.[69] Monk estimates they were both at the school during the 1904–1905 school year, but says there is no evidence they had anything to do with each other.[70] Several commentators have argued that a school photograph of Hitler may show Wittgenstein in the lower left corner,[71] but Hamann says the photograph stems from 1900 or 1901, before Wittgenstein's time.[72]

ah
    i can't remember offhand who it was, but i remember reading a piece by an academic literature-and-film critic discussing video games during my theory module at uni

there was nothing exactly wrong with it, but it was very strange because she invented her own system for classifying games, sometimes using a familiar genre term to describe games it wouldn't normally encompass, or inventing a new name for a genre that already had a name
  • edited 2016-06-28 03:12:36
    My dreams exceed my real life

when people say "video game criticism is in its infancy"

1. video game criticism may be, but criticism as a whole sure isn't. and video games are not such a radically different medium that a lot of critical techniques cant port over.

2. even babies know how to do basic homeostasis things, whereas video game critics consistently fail to understand the basics of critiquing media. this comparison is therefore an insult to babies.
    https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/12093/this-video-makes-me-hate
  • when people say "video game criticism is in its infancy"

can you fucking not, for once in your life? Good god.
    and on that note, I'll see you all whenever. ^_^
    bye Imi
    I feel like he's kinda right and I brought this up so I will shut up too
    is what naney said really that objectionable?

most video game criticism is pretty low-quality in my experience

like not to say it can't be or isn't ever as good as film criticism, but that the bar to clear for publication seems to be somewhat lower

like, a lot of what passes for game criticism is stuff any reasonably bright teenager with no critical background could write
  • edited 2016-06-28 03:29:57
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's the general trashing stuff almost out of nowhere (especially by way of exaggeration, even if I suppose it was just running with the analogy), which has pretty consistently bothered people, that made me take note.

Less so... stuff like what you said, although I feel like I could find stuff for film pretty easily too, because this is the internet.