The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

How dare you try to trick us? That is clearly a Windows 3.1 dialog box. You disgust me.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    from back when Nathan Lineback actually could talk about and critique Windows instead of raging over the Calendar app requiring internet access

i still can't get over that
  • I mean on the one hand it's a silly thing to get mad about but on the other, why does a calendar app require internet access? If the calendar ends up changing somehow, there are bigger things to worry about.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Jane said:

I mean on the one hand it's a silly thing to get mad about but on the other, why does a calendar app require internet access? If the calendar ends up changing somehow, there are bigger things to worry about.

DST.
    I mean, I guess a calendar with no internet access makes sense if you only use one computer and are fine with having your appointments show up on that computer and that computer alone

But I don't think that's a common use case anymore; most people use a computer and a phone, or different computers at home and work, or something where it just makes sense to have your stuff online so you don't have to enter it over and over on each device
  • Yeah but it just seems strange to make it a requirement.

Also there still are people in the world who don't have constant internet access, and many of those people tend to live in places where Windows computers are the only real option if you have a computer in the first place (s/o to Brazil though with its weirdass Linux distros).
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i dunno, i mean i only use the one computer

and if you are just using it on one computer, isn't it reasonable to give you the *option* to use the calendar app offline?

i mean yeah it's a completely trivial, minor thing, but i feel like giving users a choice is generally preferable to not doing so

sometimes it feels like it's like, "this is the computer WE made, you will use it and you will LIKE it"
    I dunno, like, I can see "I wish the Calendar app had an offline mode" as a valid criticism.

But what he does is more like "the Calendar has no offline mode, so instead of actually trying it out I'm going to refuse to connect to the internet and complain about how it doesn't work."

Which is really disappointing, because he used to actually take a critical look at user interfaces, and he still seems capable of that, but he's got such a hateboner for Microsoft that with every new version of Windows it's more of a rant than a review.
  • well I wasn't talking about this person's view of the calendar app, I was talking about mine.
    Fair enough.

My Alice hurts.
    Yeah that sounds dumb and annoying.

You're in pain?  Sorry to hear that.
    Not physical pain.

But my emotional state is kinda fucked up right now. >_<
    Oh :(

That sucks.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • What was supposed to be a quick nap before dinner turned into me sleeping through literally half of Sunday

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Update: a cup of coffee has improved my mood.

I really wish I didn't have to self-medicate with caffeine like this but it seems fairy reliable so I'm going to continue until I can actually get in to see my psychiatrist.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

What was supposed to be a quick nap before dinner turned into me sleeping through literally half of Sunday

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    :(
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Still mad about that Wikipedia Escape from Tomorrow thing
    The article for Escape for Tomorrow, which devotes a weird amount of space to video reviewer Tony Goldmark complaining about the movie, along with a lengthy quotation in which he calls it 'a less racist Birth of a Nation'.
  • isnt that that one annoying man who showed up in an episode of Brows Held High
    yes
  • what was up with that
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    They're friends. Disney is his area of expertise. *shrug*
    *shrug*

Channel Awesome cross-publicity?

they have these weird crossovers now and again, and they're often quite silly and forced
    ninja'd

them being friends is a less cynical answer so fair enough
    If I'm not mistaken, he and Dan Olson are the go-to guys in that circle for technical advice as well. I'm just not that interested in most of what he has to talk about, and his style isn't my thing.
  • kill living beings
    Shrugs rapidly
    So much shrug, so little time.
  • edited 2016-06-27 04:38:36
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    👸 🐉 🐮 🐱 🐦 🐻 🛠

me and my friends, in emoji
    For the benefit of Windows 7 heapers, who I think are at least a couple of you:

i could see all but the dragon and the hammer and spanner.
    🐜
    Tachyon said:

i could see all but the dragon and the hammer and spanner.

I never know with Windows 7. It predates the Unicode standards for emoji, but had some emoji support added as an update.
  • Who's the hammer and spanner? Is it communism?
    Toolsie, surely
  • Toolsie is communism?
    @Haven: For some reason I'm amused you called it a "spanner"
  • For the benefit of Windows 7 heapers, who I think are at least a couple of you:

For the benefit of Windows 7 heapers, who I think are at least a couple of you:

on my phone most but not all of these emoji appear the same as in the screenshot and that bothers me a lot fsr
  • that was supposed to quote both posts rather than the same one twice but I don't feel like fixing it on a phone
    i'd paste in a spider for Vriska and Erio, but Windows 7 doesn't support it
  • also on my pc (linux mint) I also see all of them except the hammerspanner
  • kill living beings
    ♓️, no?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Everything appears but the hammer and wrench for me.
  • @Haven: For some reason I'm amused you called it a "spanner"

Because "wrench" doesn't sound like "sickle"