The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I enjoyed it, though it was far from my favorite (and admittedly it was the last one I did watch before the fatigue set in)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    also why is being "on the nose" bad? to me that indicates precision - a GOOD thing
  • also it leans too much on 60s and 70s spy/political thrillers, which would actually be nice if it was good enough to not make me wish I was watching one of those instead
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sacrifice
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    In Insight Wanker culture, the asshole is viewed as a secondary mouth that produces deeper wisdom.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I haven't watched Winter Soldier and probably never will, but the first Captain America is kinda the epitome of a pretty box with nothing inside to me.
    Odradek said:

In Insight Wanker culture, the asshole is viewed as a secondary mouth that produces deeper wisdom.

burroughs
    Does Disney kick you off the Marvel/Disney branch if you produce a cut of a movie under two hours?
  • I haven't watched Winter Soldier and probably never will, but the first Captain America is kinda the epitome of a pretty box with nothing inside to me.

accurate
  • Anonus said:

also why is being "on the nose" bad? to me that indicates precision - a GOOD thing

it's like, it's precise, but it does just one thing, but that one thing has been done before and it does it in a sterile and boring and monotonous way

it's like a paint by numbers picture, or the aforementioned soylent
    "Discussed in the Intermission editorial "Wrights and Wrongs", which was about the backlash against Marvel over the departure of Edgar Wright from Ant-Man over Creative Differences. He feels that, while the auteur theory makes a lot of solid points, it's not applicable to every film, especially not big, studio-driven blockbusters like the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also argues that, while it's produced a lot of great movies in both the '70s New Hollywood and in independent cinema, it's also led to the undue, premature elevation of filmmakers who are more about style than substance (citing Tim Burton and M. Night Shyamalan as examples) and the passing over of talented directors who don't have a particular "style" (such as the Russo Brothers)."
  • I haven't watched Winter Soldier and probably never will, but the first Captain America is kinda the epitome of a pretty box with nothing inside to me.

yeah

except everything nice about said pretty box is like a Walmart brand Hellboy
    I wish I had style
  • naney said:

Anonus said:

it's like, it's precise, but it does just one thing, but that one thing has been done before and it does it in a sterile and boring and monotonous way

read this in Peridot's voice
    naney said:

I haven't watched Winter Soldier and probably never will, but the first Captain America is kinda the epitome of a pretty box with nothing inside to me.

yeah

I should watch those films sometime.
  • edited 2015-07-26 21:05:24
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

Does Disney kick you off the Marvel/Disney branch if you produce a cut of a movie under two hours?

Yes and you have to come running to Warner Bros., where you can make DC movies in addition to anything your heart desires
    Odradek said:

"Discussed in the Intermission editorial "Wrights and Wrongs", which was about the backlash against Marvel over the departure of Edgar Wright from Ant-Man over Creative Differences. He feels that, while the auteur theory makes a lot of solid points, it's not applicable to every film, especially not big, studio-driven blockbusters like the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also argues that, while it's produced a lot of great movies in both the '70s New Hollywood and in independent cinema, it's also led to the undue, premature elevation of filmmakers who are more about style than substance (citing Tim Burton and M. Night Shyamalan as examples) and the passing over of talented directors who don't have a particular "style" (such as the Russo Brothers)."

I do think there is genius in Hollywood films that gets overlooked by using the auteur model, but the MCU is definitely not a good example to make that argument with.
  • naney said:

yeah

I should watch those films sometime.
    they are very pretty movies, with workmanlike plots, but the prettiness and the flashy dialogue more than compensate

to me they are like the platonic idea of a Fun Flashy Movie
  • naney said:

Anonus said:

read this in Peridot's voice
    this is how all of my posts should be read, you clod
    Since when is M. Night Shyamalan about style.

What's the M. Night Shyamalan "style"
  • edited 2015-07-26 21:10:24
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I know that Naney, at least, will disagree with this, but at this point, I think the only MCU film that will hold up as a good film in the future is the first Iron Man.
  • Odradek said:

plot twists and increasingly bad editing?
    naney said:

Odradek said:

I feel that's not really a style.
  • edited 2015-07-26 21:12:17

I know that Naney, at least, will disagree with this, but at this point, I think the only MCU film that will hold up as a good film in the future is the first Iron Man.

I know there was one of them that I genuinely liked, but I cannot recall which it was

they have all kinda blended together for me
    Oh, I learned a lesson from the twentieth century
    That I don't think we can just dismiss
    After one hundred years of inhumanity
    The lesson that I learned was this

Sometimes the solution
    Is worse than the problem
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i mostly liked the winter soldier but clearly i'm just a bluepill mindkilled #content consumer
  • it really astounds me how bad shyamalan has gotten

like, I can understand putting out subpar stuff whilst resting on laurels, but some of the framing he used in the last airbender was so obviously just flat out wrong to even the most casual viewer that I'm like ??????
    The critical reaction to Ant Man was a resounding meh.

Tell me again how ditching Edgar Wright didn't really mean anything.
    naney said:

I know there was one of them that I genuinely liked, but I cannot recall which it was

they have all kinda blended together for me
    My guess is Guardians of the Galaxy.

It is the only MCU film I am still interested in seeing eventually.
  • Calica said:

i mostly liked the winter soldier but clearly i'm just a bluepill mindkilled #content consumer

rip in peace (*places drachma on your third eye*)
  • I still haven't seen gotg

I may at some point
    Kenneth Branagh, Joss Whedon, and the Russo Brothers are very different directors, but fuck if you could tell that from the movies they made for Marvel/Disney.

The thing I liked about GotG was that it at least felt like a James Gunn movie.
    naney said:

it really astounds me how bad shyamalan has gotten

like, I can understand putting out subpar stuff whilst resting on laurels, but some of the framing he used in the last airbender was so obviously just flat out wrong to even the most casual viewer that I'm like ??????

I thought The Visit looks kinda interesting.
  • edited 2015-07-26 21:20:01
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

it really astounds me how bad shyamalan has gotten

I still really want to see The Last Airbender just for laughs.

I'll say that at least some of that may have not been his fault. He was supposed to be the shepherd of a Franchise™, after all. He may have just given up on trying to fight the executives on it at some point.
    I've heard if you want to ironically watch late-period Shyamalan, you go for The Happening.
    I was genuinely into The Village before the twist, and was Very Put Out
  • it was fun to mock w/ my little sis

you should watch the folding ideas episode on it
    Like I was really into the Village, and I thought it was scary, and then Shyamalan walks out in a modern-day park ranger's outfit, and I was like "oh fuck, goddamnit"
  • Odradek said:

naney said:

Odradek said:

Nonetheless he was put on an auteur's pedestal.

Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

naney said:

Odradek said:

Nonetheless he was put on an auteur's pedestal.

So?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Now I'm just thinking back to Signs and the whole climax consisting of "The aliens saw a planet covered in a deadly substance and decided to invade it anyway."
    Odradek said:

Kenneth Branagh, Joss Whedon, and the Russo Brothers are very different directors, but fuck if you could tell that from the movies they made for Marvel/Disney.

The thing I liked about GotG was that it at least felt like a James Gunn movie.
    I thought that the original Iron Man at least felt like a fun Jon Favreau/Robert Downey, Jr. collaboration project. I didn't get much of a "blockbuster" feeling from it at all.

The MCU will probably crash the minute Downey decides to leave.

Now I'm just thinking back to Signs and the whole climax consisting of "The aliens saw a planet covered in a deadly substance and decided to invade it anyway."

It makes more sense if you assume that it's a hazing ritual for the aliens to join a space fraternity.
    Is this where I'm supposed to feel glad movies are being made by anonymous focus grouped corporate entities instead of people.

Because I am not.
  • that reminds me, I want to see Predator
  • Also I really do not care for you presenting any piece that says something positive or defensive about the MCU as inherently risible.
  • also I will say that whedon does shine through with his films

though one may or may not like that