The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

Is this where I'm supposed to feel glad movies are being made by anonymous focus grouped corporate entities instead of people.

Because I am not.
    No?

I loved the original Iron Man exactly because it didn't feel like a focus-grouped blockbuster.

I was very disappointed when the sequel did, and that was what made me decide to quit the MCU.
  • things I do like like about winter soldier:

* the intro pirate fight does establish the mood very nicely

* the elevator fight

* hacking in the apple store
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also I will say that whedon does shine through with his films

though one may or may not like that
    i just had a realization about that, actually

when whedon came out in support of anita sarkeesian there were people who seemed betrayed, like, he's always been an outspoken feminist, however bad you think he is at practicing what he preached, have you guys even watched an episode of buffy the vampire slayer?

and then i realized there are people who probably actually do know him primarily through the avengers movies
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

Also I really do not care for you presenting any piece that says something positive or defensive about the MCU as inherently risible.

I am not.

What I considered risible was a statement that Edgar Wright's departure would not affect Ant Man's quality, because Captain America: Winter Soldier was a good movie with no artistic mark of the author at all.

Partly because it obviously did, and partly because I think most of what I produced when I had that stomach bug three nights ago was better than Captain America: Summer Warrior.

Odradek said:

Is this where I'm supposed to feel glad movies are being made by anonymous focus grouped corporate entities instead of people.

Because I am not.
    No?

I loved the original Iron Man exactly because it didn't feel like a focus-grouped blockbuster.

I was very disappointed when the sequel did, and that was what made me decide to quit the MCU.
    I was not responding to you, sorry
  • Calica said:

also I will say that whedon does shine through with his films

though one may or may not like that
    i just had a realization about that, actually

when whedon came out in support of anita sarkeesian there were people who seemed betrayed, like, he's always been an outspoken feminist, however bad you think he is at practicing what he preached, have you guys even watched an episode of buffy the vampire slayer?

and then i realized there are people who probably actually do know him primarily through the avengers movies
    also firefly
    Joss Whedon put politics into his art, which, as we all know, is the most unethical thing you can do.
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Because I am not.
    No?

I was not responding to you, sorry
    It's okay.

I apologize for misreading your post.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    movies, movies, movies

an outdated medium anyway
  • someone is spamming the airhorn sample
    Iron Man 2 was one of the biggest media disappointments in my life, TBH.
  • also a nazi scientist stored on an abandoned warehouse full of tape is a cool idea
    naney said:

also a nazi scientist stored on an abandoned warehouse full of tape is a cool idea

I did like that scene.

Also he was played by the guy who played Karl Rove in W
  • edited 2015-07-26 21:39:06
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

naney said:

it really astounds me how bad shyamalan has gotten

like, I can understand putting out subpar stuff whilst resting on laurels, but some of the framing he used in the last airbender was so obviously just flat out wrong to even the most casual viewer that I'm like ??????

I still really want to see The Last Airbender just for laughs.

I'll say that at least some of that may have not been his fault. He was supposed to be the shepherd of a Franchise™, after all. He may have just given up on trying to fight the executives on it at some point.
    The Last Airbender is boring shit, don't bother
    In the Avengers 2, the movie takes the position that Black Widow is as much of a monster as Bruce Banner, a man who turns into a giant green ragebeast that habitually levels buildings, because she is physically unable to bear children.

This is a thing that happens.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I thought we were supposed to feel sorry for Black Widow honestly
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    at any rate Jurassic World felt much more blatant in its "childlessness is wrong" message to me :n
    We were. We were also supposed to feel sorry for Bruce Banner.

This is not where the problem lies.
  • Anonus said:

this has been the opinion of people I trust on this
    Also people pretended that the movie was a response to Man of Steel, instead of the exact same bowl of Marvel porridge we always get.
  • Odradek said:

In the Avengers 2, the movie takes the position that Black Widow is as much of a monster as Bruce Banner, a man who turns into a giant green ragebeast that habitually levels buildings, because she is physically unable to bear children.

I didn't want to see it in the first place and now I definitely don't.

movies, movies, movies

an outdated medium anyway

the only true forms of art that remain are card portraits for TCGs.
    Anonus said:

pretty much.  she was brought up and trained only to kill in one of those ridiculous programs that i would not put 100% past either the united states or soviet union actually doing
  • edited 2015-07-26 21:45:54
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "the only true forms of art that remain are card portraits for TCGs."

correct.
  • Odradek said:

Come ON

You know that's not what that scene meant
    unrelatedly, i get irrationally annoyed every time sgdq says "donator" instead of "donor"
  • Uuuuuugh

My mom threw out all my food last night because I left it on the table instead of the pantry

I've figured it out; she's not abusive, she's just a bad fucking roommate
  • Kexruct said:

Uuuuuugh

My mom threw out all my food last night because I left it on the table instead of the pantry

I've figured it out; she's not abusive, she's just a bad fucking roommate

Hug?
    Kexruct said:

Odradek said:

Come ON

You know that's not what that scene meant
    No, I do not think I know that.
  • You're supposed to have sympathy for her

And you're supposed to have sympathy for Hulk

That does not mean their reasons for needing sympathy are framed as the same
    Also fans should be shouting for Tony Stark and Bruce Banners head since we're suddenly concerned with building destruction since Man Of Steel
  • Well, criticism changes. People learn new things.

Also something about the way you presented that was "off" but since I'm not confident in my ability to use "diegetic" in a sentence I can't really articulate
    Kexruct said:

Well, criticism changes. People learn new things.

Also something about the way you presented that was "off" but since I'm not confident in my ability to use "diegetic" in a sentence I can't really articulate

Man of Steel happened before Avengers 2
  • Man of Steel was more of WB being WB
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    idk a whole lot about Marvel but isn't it pretty out of character for Superman to take a fight to an urban area (especially if this could have been avoided)?

Maybe that's the complaint, that it was out of character, rather than that it was immoral.

Then again, superdickery
  • edited 2015-07-26 23:09:23
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

IT is, in fact, a thing that happens, and it ticked me off to no end.

But the movie does not take that position, Black Widow does.  She's wrong.

THe reason she is a monster as much as Hulk is, is because she murdered a bunch of innocent people when she was an assassin.
    it's late, i haven't finished my philosophy post and i feel blah

it was supposed to be just a very brief, simplified overview, idk why everything takes me so long
  • Well, a ridiculous thing.

There's still the bits that had nothing to do with the rest movie in any way, like Thor's pool dip
    Aliroz said:

Odradek said:

IT is, in fact, a thing that happens, and it ticked me off to no end.
    i feel that Kex is right and you guys are interpreting that scene uncharitably.

i don't think her being a 'monster' was about infertility, though we were supposed to be sympathetic about that.

Also the line was spoken in-character, and she was talking about herself, and she was obviously upset about it.
  • edited 2015-07-26 23:20:00
    (2015 self)
    As the people who made the movie probably didn't intend to portray an inability to have children as monstrousness; I'll try not to take it that way.

I will say that that scene made me want to leave the theater, but that I am glad that I stayed.

The scene is how Banner's ability to have a "normal"* life (and children) has been lost, and was lost when he became the Hulk; and how Widow's ability to live a "normal" life was taken from her by the soviets (who also took her ability to have children).

The thing that made Hulk a monster ruined his ability to have a "normal" life.  The things Widow did are what made her a monster and ruined her ability to have a "normal" life.

They have lost the same things; in the situations and circumstances that caused them to become monsters. 

*No such thing exists.

My mom is making zucchini for dinner.
    Also Sloppy Joes.

Zucchini and sloppy joes.
    i was far more bothered by Jurassic World's presentation of the lead female as being cold for saying 'IF i have children' instead of 'when', personally

Yes, that was also in-character, but it was pretty obvious where our sympathies were supposed to be
    What IS a sloppy joe?  i just realized it's a thing i've heard mentioned on TV a few times and idk what it is.
    Tachyon said:

idk a whole lot about Marvel but isn't it pretty out of character for Superman to take a fight to an urban area (especially if this could have been avoided)?

Maybe that's the complaint, that it was out of character, rather than that it was immoral.

Then again, superdickery

Superdickery, more often than not, was just hilariously out-of-context covers designed to sell comics.

That said, Mort Weisinger's Superman comics are still gloriously insane.
    Probably, but I generally feel like taking Jurassic World's side, as I am on the side of anything that helps break up the Marvel/Disney monotony
    i'm not sure how any amount of context could justify some of those covers

of course that's the idea, if it was too guessable it wouldn't be intriguing i suppose
  • edited 2015-07-26 23:24:12
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i'm deleting this because i don't really want to continue this argument also the self-loathing should be contained.  it's bad and manipulative
  • edited 2015-07-26 23:25:18
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

What IS a sloppy joe?  i just realized it's a thing i've heard mentioned on TV a few times and idk what it is.

You take spaghetti sauce-meat and put it between bread to make a sandwich that tends to spill and make messes and stain clothes.  Thus, the sandwich is "sloppy".

You lean over your plate when you eat it, and then use a fork to scoop
    up the spaghetti sauce-meat that falls onto the plate.