Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• kill living beings
    maybe don't be that?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'll try, but raging fires can be hard to put out, and even afterwards can flare up from ashes.  I guess you have to make paths and barriers, take control.

Same way a river can't be stopped, only directed, and perhaps harnessed for a productive use.  Well, I mean, you could stop it with a dam, but at the cost of flooding everything nearby and then making a huge problem when the dam breaks.  

I guess you just gotta take control of your mind and heart.  I am the one in command of my thoughts and emotions.  It's not the way the wind blows, it's the way the sails are set that determines which way the boat goes.
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, one of the things I find interesting about Thoroughbred horses is the fact that they have to have unique names, so any name that has been registered can't be used again, so you get some interesting names and sonetimes naming patterns (the great Potoooooooo is the father/sire of Waxy, and Nasrullah's son is Bold Ruler, but Bold Ruler is Boldnesian's father/sire).

Fairy Gold - Fair Play - Display - Discovery - Miss Disco. Each generation makes sense as the link between what came before and after, but after a while it's completely unrelated to the original.
  • edited 2017-11-08 21:38:36
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Yarrun hasn't posted in a while.  Hoping he's having fun and doing well...
    (2015 self)
    Disney's Hercules had some actually pretty darn fluid animation.  I mean, look at the hair on the muse second to the right, and the muse to the rightmost, there's some nice little details that are easy to miss if you're just watching the movie and don't have the time to stare at each hair-curl of each muse.
    (2015 self)
    Today, I learned that Hugh Hefner is dead.

I salute the millions of Escherichia coli cells that took one for the team and sacrificed themselves to end a plague upon humanity.
    (2015 self)
    Cinderella: Drat! I forgot that bedroom doors have locks!

Lady Tremaine: You know what they say, you snooze, you lose!

L a t e r

Lady Tremaine: @&#$! I forgot that there was more than one slipper.

Cinderella: You know what they say: Shoes come in twos!
  • edited 2017-11-17 02:59:27
    (2015 self)
    Can't remember who wrote it, but my grandpa had a book on Proverbs and Philosophy, and it had bit on anticipation and how "ills which never happened have chiefly been your torment" (or something along those lines; I'd be grateful if anyone could find it) that I remember as having given me some help in believing that there is good in the world and that that love and trust are stronger than hate and fear.

Dang, in my notebook of "comfort quotes", I should really be better at citing sources.

Anyways, I think that that bit may be relevant to Central Avenue at the moment.
    (2015 self)
    If anybody is reading this, did that remake of The Brave Little Toaster that people were dreading about five years back actually get made?
  • kill living beings
    i don't remember any such thing and i don't see any articles about it from later than five years ago, so i'm gonna say no.
  • edited 2017-11-23 20:26:56
    (2015 self)
    Amnyways, hoss racin'.  I'm your hypemaster, Aliroz, and I'm here to barf wordgarbage and flail my arms wildly about while rambling about horses that don't suck and are amazing.

Before the Kentucky Derby started being as important as it would later become, there was still the Withers and Travers stakes to go with the Belmont and Preakness for "oh my gosh how does this horse win all of these races at all of these distances this is the greatest horse I have ever seen in my gosh-darned life I need to poke my eyes out so I can never see another horse again" hype.

Or, rather, they would have been that, but part of hype is disappointment, and the lack thereof.  If it never happens, there's no hype, no hope.  If it always happens, there's no hype, no disappointment.  The Triple Crown has happened twelve times, each one of them a legend in its own right.

Only three horses ever managed to win the Withers, Travers, Preakness, and Belmont (heck, even Travers, Preakness, Belmont has only happened six times).  Those three horses?  Duke of Magenta, Man Of War, and Native Dancer.

Duke of Magenta was the last son of the legendary Lexington (that champion of four-mile races that don't even exist today and probably couldn't be run by today's thoroughbreds, who raced horses half his age, and only came in second once, and only stopped racing because he got a facial infection and went blind.  The father of the legendary Preakness, for whom the Preakness is named.  Also the father of Cincinatti, U.S. Grant's favorite horse), and the greatest.  As a two-year-old, he came in first four times, and second three times.  As a three-year-old, he only lost one race, when he was sick, out of the twelve, setting a record for consecutive wins.  The only thing that stopped this winning streak of Duke of Magenta was a facial infection that made him go blind (once again, following in Lexington's footsteps in a sad but kind of adorable family tradition of going blind and breaking everybody's hearts).

Man of War needs no hype, for he IS hype.  He's Man O' War.

Native Dancer, the Grey Ghost, at two years old, won all nine races he was entered in.  At three, he raced in nine races and won everything except the 1953 Kentucky Derby (coming in second by a nose after being fouled twice in the very first Kentucky Derby to ever be televised).  Only a leg injury at four years old put an end to his reign of terror, and, well, he'd already become the defining horse of the fifties.  He passed on his speed and his leg-breaking problems to the breed, beginning the end of the era of the match race and the distance race.  
  • edited 2017-11-23 20:20:26
    (2015 self)
    Once upon a time, Native Dancer had a Daughter, Natalma.  She was a girl horse and was therefore unimportant except as a vessel for continuing the breed because LOL HORSE SEXISM.  Okay, okay, I kid, but anyways, onto the next generation.

Amnyways, Natalma had a son, Northern Dancer.  When he was born, they called him "Native Dancer's grandson".  When he was done, they called Native Dancer "Northern Dancer's grandpa".

Northern Dancer was almost perfection in a horse, running the Kentucky Derby in an almost impossible time of two minutes exactly, the very limit of what is possible, the platonic ideal of the race itself.  He was a symbol of national pride to his birthplace of Canada, a frustration to anyone who bet on any other horse, and the kind of horse who retires to the tune of a five-hundred-thousand-dollar stud fee and STILL ends up defining the breed to the extent that, these days, it's harder to find a horse NOT descended from him.  Indeed, almost perfect, except for his one flaw (inherited from Native Dancer):  Weak leg bones, unsuited for long distances or long careers.  Poor horse just couldn't win the Belmont and get that triple crown, a mile and a half was just too long for him to sprint, but what do you expect from the Dancer Line?
    (2015 self)
    Enter 1973.  There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner in 25 years.  Not since Citation (the third-greatest horse of all time, in my opinion, and my personal favorite) in 1948.  Can't be done anymore, they say.

The day of thoroughbreds like Princequillo, the giant-hearted (literally) horse of strong legs and strength and endurance over distance, seems over.

But enter Princequillo's grandson.
    (2015 self)
    Sham, Sham, Sham.  What can you say about Sham?  He might have been the horse of the year in 1972 if people cared more about the distance races, but nobody cares about anything longer than two miles in 1972.  But Sham knows he can show them all.  Bold Ruler and his sons, what do they know about endurance?  1972s horse of the year might be 1973s loser, and if Sham has anything to say about it, that's how it'll go.  People have regretted choosing speed over endurance before, have regretted betting against Sham before...

In 1973, it's a lovely day, the fifth day of the fifth month, it's 5:40 in Kentucky, it's time for the 99th running of the Derby, and there's a bigger crowd then there's ever been at a horse race in America.

It's time for history to be made
    (2015 self)
    The race starts, and Sham hits his head against the starting gate!  He loses two teeth.  Nobody notices.

Bleeding the whole way, Sham does the impossible:  he beats Northern Dancer's time.  He runs the Derby in 1 minute, 59 and 4/5 seconds, a time no horse will ever run again, a time that will not be beaten in any other derby.

By two-fifths of a second, Sham finishes the Derby in second place.
  • edited 2017-11-23 21:00:17
    (2015 self)
    It's May 19, 1973.  My sister won't be born for 24 years.  It's the Preakness!

This time, Sham gets a better start, and the Derby winner's now in last place.

Once again, Sham breaks the track record, running a time that ain't been beat since (and was only tied in 1996).  It's not recognized at the time, because the clock malfunctions, but a review of the tapes of the race prove it.  

Once again, history is made.

Once again, Sham comes in second to that son of Bold Ruler, by a split second.
    (2015 self)
    It's June 9, 1973, and it's Sham's day to shine.  Northern Dancer couldn't handle the Belmont, none of Bold Rulers sons could, this is the time for endurance to beat speed.  Lots of horses have won the Preakness and Derby since 1948, and none of them have beaten the Belmont.

Sham's owners tell his jockey to blaze to first and just keep up a pace fast enough to break all the other horses, hitting the track like a freight train and just.  Not.  Stopping.

Sham runs as fast as it's actually possible for him to run, putting everything in his bone and flesh and soul into beating this rival.  Sham runs at the limit of sinews and tendons, neck and neck with Bold Ruler's son, who somehow doesn't seem to be even breathing hard or even trying, who somehow is accellerating.

Sham hits his limit, and falls back, but Secretariat is widening now, he is moving like a tremendous machine!

Secretariat runs the Belmont in 2:24, running each quarter mile faster than the last, setting a track record that to this day has not been beaten (the next fastest Belmont is 2:26), winning by 31 lengths, more than anyone else will ever win the Belmont by.

(2015 self)
    -.-. --- -. ..-. . ... ... .. --- -. / - .. -- . ---... / .. / -.. --- -. .----. - / -.-. .- .-. . / .- -... --- ..- - / -. . - / -. . ..- - .-. .- .-.. .. - -.-- .-.-.- / .. ..-. / .. - .----. ... / - .... . / . -. -.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .. -. - . .-. -. . - --..-- / - .... . -. --..-- / .-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- / .. - / .... .- -.. / .- / --. --- --- -.. / .-. ..- -. --..-- / -.-- . .- .-. ... / .- -. -.. / -.-- . .- .-. ... .-.-.- / - .... . .-. . / .-- .- ... / .-.. .. ..-. . / -... . ..-. --- .-. . / .. - --..-- / .- -. -.. / - .... . .-. . / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -... . / .-.. .. ..-. . / .- ..-. - . .-. / .. - .-.-.- / .- ... / .-.. --- -. --. / .- ... / - .... .. ... / ... .. - . / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / .-. ..- -. ... --..-- / .. / -.. --- -. .----. - / -.-. .- .-. . / .-- .... .- - / .... .- .--. .--. . -. ... / - --- / - .... . / .-. . ... - / --- ..-. / - .... . / .. -. - . .-. -. . - / -.--.- - .... . .-. . .----. ... / --- -. . / --- .-. / - .-- --- / .-- .. -.- .. ... / .. .----. -.. / ... --- .-. . .-.. -.-- / -- .. ... ... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .- / -.-. --- ..- .--. .-.. . / --- ..-. / .-- . -... -.-. --- -- .. -.-. ... --..-- / -... ..- - / -.-- --- ..- / --. ..- -.-- ... --..-- / .-- .... --- / .... .- ...- . / -... . . -. / -- -.-- / ..-. .-. .. . -. -.. ... / ..-. --- .-. --..-- / .-- . .-.. .-.. --..-- / ... --- -- . / --- ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / ..-. --- .-. / .- / - .... .. .-. -.. / --- ..-. / -- -.-- / .-.. .. ..-. . --..-- / .. .----. -.. / -- .. ... ... / -.. . .- .-. .-.. -.-- -.--.- .-.-.-
  • kill living beings
    - .... . / .-- .... --- .-.. . / .-. . .- ... --- -. / .--. . --- .--. .-.. . / .-.. .. -.- . / -. . - / -. . ..- - .-. .- .-.. .. - -.-- / .. ... / - .... .- - / - .... . / .-.. .- -.-. -.- / --- ..-. / .. - / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / - . .-.. . -.-. --- -- / .--. .-. --- ...- .. -.. . .-. ... / - --- / -- .- -.- . / .... --- ... - .. -. --. / .- / ... -- .- .-.. .-.. / ... .. - . / .-.. .. -.- . / - .... .. ... / ..- -. .-. . .- ... --- -. .- -... .-.. -.-- / . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / -.. --- --- ..-. ..- ...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Never gonna hear about belmont without thinking of castlevania
    (2015 self)
    --- .... --..-- / - .... .- - / . -..- .--. .-.. .- .. -. ... / .- / .-.. --- - / .- -... --- ..- - / .- / .-.. --- - --..-- / .- -. -.. / .. / ..-. . . .-.. / .-.. .. -.- . / .- / -... .. - / --- ..-. / .- / ..-. --- --- .-.. .-.-.- / .. / --- .--. .--. --- ... . / .- .-.. .-.. / - .... .-. . .- - ... / - --- / - .... . / .... . .- .--. --..-- / .. / --- .--. .--. --- ... . / - .... . -- / ... --- / .... .- .-. -.. / .. - .----. ... / -. --- - / . ...- . -. / ..-. ..- -. -. -.-- .-.-.- / -.. .- -. --. ... .. -.-. -.- .-.. . ... .-.-.- / - .... . / --- -. . / - .-. . . / .. / .... --- .--. . -.. / - .... .. ... / .. .-.. .-.. / .-- .. -. -.. / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - / -... .-.. --- .-- / -.. --- .-- -. .-.-.-

Odradek said:
    Yaaaaaaaaaaay!  Sweater reptile!  Happiness!
    Did you get my PM?
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, looking forward to Brimley and Ewoks.
    (2015 self)
    So, the library I grew up with will, in a couple years, become the new city offices, (taking the role from the one from the 1910s where my grandpa used to work, which is less than a quarter mile from my home and is one of my favorite buildings), and a new, bigger library will be built.

Dang it, life has so few constants.

My grandparents saw this town go from farms to apartments and condominiums for out-of-state college students.

I shudder at what my hometown will look like when I'm ninety. Probably something like Salt Lake City at best.
  • If it's any consolation, it seems people are gradually realizing that unchecked growth DOES have its limits.  I'm not sure if people in charge of developing land are really thinking that way there yet though.

Maybe if water resources become even more strained there, something will change.  In fact if you project a few centuries ahead, it's only a question of whether something will change gradually or hit a tipping point and snap.
  • kill living beings
    that's why i'm crowdfunding an obsidian obelisk to place atop my underground catacombs/palace.
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, as far as change in the world goes,

Replace medical transcriptionists with soulless machines and nobody cares, but replace actors in movies with soulless cgi copies and everybody loses their darn minds.

It's not as though medical transcriptionists get 20 million per year for work done 20 years ago (stupid cast of Friends, some of us WORK for a living).
  • Hey Aliroz, I was thinking of running a Rare Entries game here on HH.  It's a game about picking the least-picked items in various categories.  Would you like to contribute a category?  Can be anything as long as it's well-defined and between 4 and 16 items (you can restrict it to a subset if needed).  For example, "U.S. national parks in Utah", which has 5 items.
  • edited 2017-12-01 22:12:47
    (2015 self)
    Okay, I submit U.S. National Parks in Utah.
    (2015 self)
    If Pittsburgh isn't cool, then the Carnegie Museum of Natural History isn't cool, and if the Carnegie Museum of Natural History isn't cool, then the Allosaurus and Camptosaurus mounted there aren't cool, and if the Allosaurus and Camptosaurus mounted there aren't cool, then Dinosaur National Monument isn't cool, and if Dinosaur National Monument isn't cool, then Utah isn't cool, and if Utah isn't cool, then I'm not cool.

Also, Pittsburgh's steelworks were, according to my eldest uncle, one of the many major reasons that the allies won World War II.  A continent-wide supply-system feeding a colossal American military industry, combined with the manpower of the Soviet Union, added to the rest of the allied powers, was just too much for the Axis.
    Aliroz said:

If Pittsburgh isn't cool, then the Carnegie Museum of Natural History isn't cool, and if the Carnegie Museum of Natural History isn't cool, then the Allosaurus and Camptosaurus mounted there aren't cool, and if the Allosaurus and Camptosaurus mounted there aren't cool, then Dinosaur National Monument isn't cool, and if Dinosaur National Monument isn't cool, then Utah isn't cool, and if Utah isn't cool, then I'm not cool.

Also, Pittsburgh's steelworks were, according to my eldest uncle, one of the many major reasons that the allies won World War II.  A continent-wide supply-system feeding a colossal American military industry, combined with the manpower of the Soviet Union, added to the rest of the allied powers, was just too much for the Axis.
    The Carnegie Museum of Natural History is extremely cool and you should visit it if you ever come to Pittsburgh

Also one of the residents at the home for the elderly I work at is a 100 year old man who went over to Britain to do work welding steel for tanks and such as part of the war effort when he was drafted
    (2015 self)
    But to every mind there openeth,
    A way, and way, and away, 
    A high soul climbs the highway, 
    And the low soul gropes the low,

And in between on the misty flats, 
    The rest drift to and fro. 
    But to every man there openeth, 
    A high way and a low, 
    And every mind decideth, 
    The way his soul shall go. 

One ship sails East, 
    And another West, 
    By the self-same winds that blow, 
    'Tis the set of the sails 
    And not the gales, 
    That tells the way we go.

Like the winds of the sea 
    Are the waves of time, 
    As we journey along through life, 
    'Tis the set of the soul, 
    That determines the goal, 
    And not the calm or the strife.
  • edited 2017-12-15 01:26:32
    (2015 self)
    A poem by Ella Wheeler Wilcox, one that has given me a lot of comfort.
  • edited 2017-12-15 03:56:03
    (2015 self)
    gggfhgghhghgh
  • edited 2017-12-15 18:34:46
    (2015 self)

Apparently, when I was a kid, my parents did stuff like this all the time.  I was always climbing.
    (2015 self)
    I saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi today with my dad!

Given that 
    a) I love all movies I see with people I love,

b) I have enjoyed every Star Wars movie I've seen in theaters, and will continue to watch them in theaters for as long as they make me feel seven years old,

and

c) My sister comes home in 26 days, I get to go to a family christmas party today (I look forward to this all year), and I got a 4.0 GPA this past semester, so nothing can get me down this week

The fact that I enjoyed it is not a spoiler.  I would have enjoyed watching Paint Dry 2: Once More, With Peeling with my dad today.
  • Aliroz said:

Paint Dry 2: Once More, With Peeling

Al i want you to know, this got a giggle out of me
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It got a giggle out of me as well
    (2015 self)
    I always loved that thing that some old maps have where rivers are represented as overly large and impassable-looking separations between lands rather than as mere blue lines.

(2015 self)
    Me, realizing that I will probably live to see Crocodylus rhombifer and Alligator sinensis go extinct:

(2015 self)
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Oi! Future self!

How come you're a fan of horse racing now? That's commodified horse polygamy funded by gambling and beer companies.

• Al I hate to be the one to break this to you but

Horses can't get married
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Obā-san said:

Al I hate to be the one to break this to you but

Horses can't get married

Then how do you explain THIS???

(2015 self)
    I have to enjoy something, or else I'd go crazy.

Besides, it's fun to look through horse geneaologies and play the Kevin Bacon game except with Bend Or as the central individual you must find a connection to.
  • edited 2018-01-09 00:54:47
    Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    What, did smiling become illegal or something (so you had to compensate by enjoying dumb nonsense)? You guys in 2018 look like it's been a rough 7.5 years.

I'm sure you can find lots of books to entertain yourself at Borders and Hastings, and read the newest Terry Pratchett and Brian Jacques stuff, and listen to Les Miserables on the ipod.
    (2015 self)

Borders

Hastings, 

Terry Pratchett 

Brian Jacques 

-uncontrollable sobbing-