Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Cheer up, 2018!  I have to wait 8 years for the MAX-C rover to start making discoveries on Mars, but you're standing at the brink of the day when we learn, once and for all, whether or not mars could be, to some degree, made habitable for life!

I mean, it could be the dawn of a new space race.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    About that... well, um, we're still using Opportunity.  She's done us proud, and so her twin Spirit, and their little sibling Curiosity.  Sojourner's legacy of working beyond all reasonable expectations and enduring to the end still holds.

Hubble's still going like a champ.
    (2010 self)
    So, what you're saying is, they don't cure whatever Terry Pratchett's got, NASA doesn't make anything better than Hubble in nearly 30 years, and the James Webb doesn't actually get launched next year?

Has science even gone anywhere?
  • edited 2018-01-17 17:14:19
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Amazon does 2-day shipping, computers can recognize speech, and everybody has ipod-phones that can connect to the internet to watch live news in high-definition without any buffering.
  • kill living beings
    I mean, we have a whole new kind of astronomy since LIGO, so that's something
    (2010 self)
    Whoa, that's some Star Trek stuff.  Gravity Waves, space-time distortions by mass, the kind of stuff Einstein's theories were about way back in the day.
    (2015 self)
    They also figured out how to replace dead actors with cgi, except for some reason they need the permission of the actor's family.
    (2010 self)
    Well, I should hope so!  I mean, for royalties and copyright reasons, to support the family.  You wouldn't make a digital John Lennon and then have him make new Beatles songs and then make tons of money without giving anything to Yoko Ono.

The arts aren't just an extravagance, future self.  It's hard work.
    (2015 self)
    Art isn't work.  If art was work, then artists would be replaced when they die like everybody else.  If the prophet, the pope, the president, or a cashier dies, the work he or she did does not stop, but is continued by somebody else. 

And the same goes for retirement or quitting.

(2010 self)
    You just don't want things to end or change.

Calvin and Hobbes would be no good if it were done by anybody else, and it would be no good if Watterson had never stopped.

Gonna miss Merlin Olsen, though, but it's not as though he can be replaced.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I rememebr really liking Merlin Olsen when I was little. He seemed friendly.
    (2015 self)
    -hands younger self a copy of Mistborn-

Read this in a couple years, when you run out of patience for the next Rick Riordan to come out.

Anyways, now that younger me is distracted and can be ignored until I'm in the mood for a conversation again, I found the best page on reddit.
    (2015 self)
    I also found a good youtube video

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The dog's name is Bear
  • edited 2018-03-07 02:24:52
    (2015 self)
    It's Spring Break!

I'mma try playing Planescape Torment.

Or maybe Baldur's Gate.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Download the recommended mods if you play on the GOG version

Also eventually you're gonna lose a precious key item and be reduced to console commanding it in. Just accept it
  • edited 2018-03-07 04:08:39
    (2015 self)
    If it's the bronze sphere, I always, always, always make sure to get it back from Pharod's corpse.
    (2015 self)
    If it's anything else, don't tell me.  I'm a videogame kleptomanic hoarder, so if I lose a precious key item, it's my own dang fault.
    Also make sure to have high Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence in Torment. You can talk your way out of most situations, and the protagonist is going to be doing the bulk of the talking

Make a beeline to the lady who can teach you magic to make use of Wisdom and Intelligence
    (2015 self)
    You know, 2015 was the year everything really started to go bad.

2015 was also the year that Yogi Berra died.

Coincidence-I think NOT!
    (2015 self)
    And Stan Musial's death in 2013 was also a weakening of the fabric of reality.
    (2015 self)
    I feel rested and happy today, even though the badness that is Daylight Savings is upon us, Spring Break is over, and I got no sleep last night.

I wonder if maybe somewhere there was a glitch in the universe that turned a negative variable into a positive somewhere.

Or maybe somebody is reading The Westing Game for the first time, starting today, or somebody somewhere managed to draw a perfect circle drawing freehand.
  • kill living beings
    the westing game! shit i've had that book in the back of my head for the last month like wasn't there a mystery novel involving a woman who thought "dastardly" was a bad word, but i couldn't remember the damn title
  • edited 2018-03-28 03:41:41
    (2015 self)
    So, growing up, my grandparents on my mom's side, who at the top of The Lane, had a set of Time-Life books on WWII.  One that always fascinated young me was the one on The Battle of Britain.

I remember being eleven, and being utterly overwhelmed by the pictures of ruined buildings, rescue workers, evacuee farewells, and reunions.
    (2015 self)
    A special treat for anyone who bothers to actually read in my thread:

CRUSADER KINGS 2 IS DOWNLOADABLE FOR FREE ON STEAM FOR A LIMITED TIME.

Ask Jane, it's a really good game!
  • kill living beings
    she's already been proseltyzing for it
    (2015 self)
    So, anyways, Solo: A Star Wars Story comes out in May, like a Star Wars movie should.

Also, I saw the trailer, and have hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype!
    (2015 self)
    It's hard for me to try new things.  Sometimes, I wonder if I even can enjoy anything new (I mean truly enjoy, the way I did when I was a child).   Sometimes, I wonder if there's something wrong with me, something suck in the gears that makes it so the lever can't go above "approval" anymore.  Maybe nostalgia is simply the grandfather clause, the one which allows things that previously made me happy to still make me happy by association and memory of better years.

Maybe my head is filled with red tape and inspection committees, and the application process simply takes too long, and by the time the grants actually arrive and the strongly positive emotional response is delivered, years have passed.  Perhaps nostalgia is simply the relief and satisfaction of long-delayed supplies.  I mean, I think someday I'll probably be nostalgic for the Trump years, once things have gotten so much worse.  I mean, I find myself wishing to go back to my high school years (during which I wished to go back to my elementary school years, during which I wished to be back in the years before homework and piano practice).

In any case, even if it is just a cynical cash grab, and even if it's a cheap appeal to my childhood and even if it's nothing more than a Pavlovian reaction to the sound effects and props of Star Wars, I'll take it. It gives me something to look forward to.  Some current story that's part of the general culture that I get to see as it comes out, something that I like that other people like and can relate to.

I know it's an indulgence, and it's just giving money to an industry that truly doesn't need it, but the little ten-year-old who I once was, well, it would get money by practicing piano (for 60 cents an hour) to get money for the occasional toy, book, or movie ticket (for which I am grateful), so perhaps the responsible adult I am now can spare a couple hours wages to indulge my inner child.
    (2015 self)
    Still, though.  15 dollar movie tickets are the worst.  At childhood piano wages, that's 25 hours of practice!

Wow, no wonder I buy 50 cent VHS tapes and two-dollar Steam games, and cringe at the cost of prescription glasses and medication.  My formative experience with money trained me to look for ten hours of bang for every six bucks just to break even.
    (2015 self)
    If I ever profess any negative feelings towards cranes (the machines or the birds), it means that I have been replaced with an imposter.

The same applies to the sound of crickets at night, the big dipper constellation, and the Toyota Previa.

If I ever profess any negative feelings towards accountants, it means that I have been replaced with an incompetent imposter.
    (2015 self)
    -sigh-

It's April 20th, next week is dead week, the FDA approved Epidiolex, my county will reach a population of 125,000 and thus go from a class three county to a class two county, the musical is coming to Idaho and Wyoming this year, and Myanmar and Liberia are essentially metric now.

I probably shouldn't read the newspaper in the morning, it's no good to be aware of the world.  Sometimes it feels like anything good is just another friend to mourn, another treasure to worry about, another way in which things can get worse, and anything bad is just inevitable and entirely out of my control; but you know what?  That's life.

Life's a burden, and we've all got to carry it well.  The only way that the burden can be lifted is if we help one another.  I can't lay down my load and you can't lay down yours, but together it's not so much.  And it's not just the living that are lending us strength, it's the spirits of those who have gone on.  Certainly our ancestors are doing all they can as angels, and certainly God is good.

Endure to the end.  Words to live by.

I, like my pioneer ancestors, can go on towards Zion, can keep walking west, can struggle to make something livable out of this world, this wasteland, this desert.

Life's not easy, but it's worth it.
    *hug*
    (2015 self)
    I love the old tie-in books that they made for Star Wars back in the early 2000s.  Especially the Visual Dictionaries and Incredible Cross-Sections.

I mean, in the visual dictionaries you got to see stuff and get details that were only vaguely glimpsed in the movies (sometimes you'd get to see a picture of a costume from a different angle, and see details that were never seen in the movie, or read a fun, tantalizing, or kinda bizarre explanation of some minor detail).

Like, in Star Wars, there's a specific shade of Red that represents diplomacy, or, rather, the Republic itself, and only diplomatic and ambassadorial ships get to use it.  The ship that delivers Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to the Trade Federation's station at the beginning of The Phantom Menace is entirely red, signifying that they come directly from Coruscant on a mission from the supreme chancellor.  The paint is chipped and fading, a shadow of what it once was, but still some part of it clings to existence.  It looks as though if you brushed your hand over it, you'd sweep chips of paint off and reveal the decaying husk below.

Three movies later (or three movies before), the Tantive IV of Alderaan has thin red lines on it, signifying that this is supposed to be a Diplomatic Mission.  The red paint isn't so prominent small, but more dusty than faded.  It looks as though if you brushed your hand over against it, you'd see the old color.
    (2015 self)

Tantive Iv reference:

(2015 self)
    Radiant VII reference

I like how warn down and blocky original trilogy ships look
  • edited 2018-05-02 02:23:19
    (2015 self)
    There's a specific shade of blue that Bail Organa wears, that you see his wife wear, that the Tantive IV has in Revenge of the Sith, that is really pretty and represents Alderaan, and you see General Organa wear it in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, and it makes me happy that they remembered that little detail from the prequels.

The rebel troops on Tantive IV wear that color, too, though the lighting makes it hard to tell.
  • edited 2018-05-02 02:22:55
    (2015 self)

• kill living beings
    Odradek said:

I like how warn down and blocky original trilogy ships look

yeah same. naboo starfighters can't compare
    (2015 self)
    Finals are done, huge relief.

Now to play Baldurs Gate spend at least three hours re-rolling to get a better character in Baldur's Gate.
  • Aliroz said:

Finals are done, huge relief.

Now to play Baldurs Gate spend at least three hours re-rolling to get a better character in Baldur's Gate.
    oh gosh you're reminding me of how much time it took me to make a D&D character

i got faster at it after a while
    (2015 self)
    "Press the re-roll button, one of these years you'll get 18 in all stats" the little voice in my head says.  Been playing this series since I was ten, and it still hasn't happened, and almost certainly never will.  I'd have a better chance of successfully guessing combinations to safes.
    (2015 self)
    My dad says that there are at least five types of causes of depression:

Cognitive:  Counterproductive thinking.  The brain is made in such a way that its neural pathways may be compared to rivers or roads or hiking trails:  The more a path is used and traveled, the wider, smoother, and easier-to-use it becomes, until other (less traveled) routes get overgrown and harder to traverse.  
    Brains are kinda garbage like that, but that same aspect of the brain means that new roads can be made until they become the main roads (or a wide river of negative thoughts could possibly be diverted upstream or dammed).  As anyone who makes a new road or a new dam knows, though, it's a lot of effort and time, and it's a rather painful process.
    Common forms of counterproductive thinking include comparing yourself to other people all the time, beating yourself up, feelings of low self-esteem, resentment, contempt, hate, and obsession.
    People are often remarkably cruel to themselves, especially compared to how they treat others.  A person who considers himself or herself worthless may be very empathetic and kind to everyone else.  Remember that you are a person, and people have value, and you need to be kind to people and forgive them.
    Positive thinking is a cliche, I know, but in some cases involving counter productive thinking, it really can help.

Circumstance:  Sometimes thinking isn't the main problem, circumstance is.  A dairy farmer who breaks out in hives whenever she touches a cow is not necessarily going to be helped by a change of heart or mind if the problem is, you know, the hives.  Likewise, a person in an abusive household or someone forcibly displaced by war can most benefit from a change in the situation, in getting the heck out of there.  As anyone who has been in such a situation can tell you, though, it is difficult and often requires outside help.  There is no shame in needing such help, or in not succeeding on the first attempt to find something better.
    Of course, there can be combinations of these causes, someone might have a circumstance causing depression and also  have cognitive causes, and in that case both issues would need to be recognized.  Every case of depression, says my dad, is a different mixture of causes and requires a different mixture of treatments/actions/changes.  What works for one may not work for another, as much as we wish it did.  All of these are tendencies that my dad has noticed in his life and his own struggles with depression.

Mourning: This is a normal reaction to the loss of something that once was, or something that could have been.  My dad once found my grandma sitting silently by herself, and when he asked her what was wrong, she told him she was mourning her ability to keep up the yard-wide garden she had had until the previous year (for a woman who's been so independent all her life, to need the help of her grandkids to maintain her garden is a large loss of What Once Was).
    Mourning requires time and support, it often must be processed rather than fought if you are to get through it.  

Biological: Sometimes, your brain just has stupid garbage chemicals in it messing around and ruining everything, or doesn't have enough of the OTHER stupid garbage chemicals.  Brains are crap like that.  There are many reasons why this could be, such as insufficient physical activity, or insufficient social activity with physically present people, or not enough variety in one's life, or a feeling of no accomplishment (that you are a certain age and haven't accomplished the things you want to, that your job is not stimulating or satisfying), or a lack of exposure to sunlight, or simply faulty brain chemistry because brains are, as always, trash.
    There are many things that can help, such as the sun and it's LOVELY WARM RAYS OF GOODNESS, hiking, exercise, helping other people, doing work that is meaningful and satisfying, positive social interaction, and medication.

Practices:  There are things that people can do to themselves to cause or contribute to depression.  isolation and addictions being the most common, although visiting-certain-parts-of-the-internet is also up there.  
    Remember that you aren't alone, and that there are enough people in the world that there's certainly someone who would like to be your friend, someone who would find you attractive, someone who shares your interests, and someone whose life could be so much better for having talked to you.
    A good way to cheer yourself up, says my dad, is to try to brighten the day of someone else because you get too tired to do whatever self-destructive thing you were going to do (though I must admit I have trouble wanting to help other people when I myself feel miserable).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways, just thought I should write that stuff down before I forget it.  If anybody has anything to add or change or suggest, that'd be great.
    (2015 self)

EXPLAIN
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That is hilarious.
  • edited 2018-05-20 02:51:01
    (2015 self)
    It's incredibly impressive that they were able to turn a scene into a song like that.
    (2015 self)
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    good
  • Aliroz said:

EXPLAIN
    And then the piano goes "AMEN!".