Suchian Musings And Ramblings About General Designs Involving Notable Estuaries

Comments

• edited 2016-11-21 20:21:46
    Movies should be, like, once a week at most!

...well, to be fair, I'm not sure what these children have to do with their time, since they're not in school.  Maybe introduce them to some board and table games?

Can they at least go outside and play?

And what about teaching like one or two of them something, like crafting, math, a sport, anything?  How about getting one or two of them or maybe more interested in some of your games?

And do they follow a religion?  If so, does its local church have activities for them to participate in?  What about community centers if they don't follow a church?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, the kids play outside sometimes, though not as often as I did, because of stuff like netflix and smartphones.  I'm trying to get them interested in board and card games, but they really don't seem to be taking to it.  

As for church, that's been good.  Primary activities have been good.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    One movie per day doesn't seem that bad if they're not in school at the time, honestly... it also sounds like the issues they're facing probably aren't ones as simple as "one movie per week will fix everything!"

Likely only long-term exposure to a well-structured family will help right now. 
  • Yeah, I agree with what erio said.

Also, do you have Apples to Apples?
  • edited 2016-11-21 21:54:14
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Yep, that's been a favorite for years.  

The oldest boy, twelve, came up with "crispy Anne Frank", which was ghoulish, as was, "awkward past".
  • Sounds like they're bored and now spend too much time on the internet (where the social situation too often rewards being edgy, sadly).

I hope that this situation clears up and they get back to a stable household and educational program quickly.
  • Aliroz said:

Yeah, the kids play outside sometimes, though not as often as I did, because of stuff like netflix and smartphones.  I'm trying to get them interested in board and card games, but they really don't seem to be taking to it.  

what board and card games
    (2015 self)
    Quiddler, Milles Bourne, The Farming Game, Skip-Bo, Uno, Spot-It, Loot!, slamwich.
  • I've never heard of most of those so I suppose I can't offer any input.
  • Aliroz said:

Oh, and today I learned that Trump still hasn't left Trump Tower.

It is built on a leyline of elemental evil, and he must stay there to gather his power before taking power

And jeez, I am so sorry about the kid in the sleeping bag. I've seen books ruined by urine (don't ask) and it was pretty ugly. I can't imagine how much that hurts for you.
  • Uno is decent; the rest I don't know.

You should also teach them Mao; it's an Uno-like card game played with regular cards but the thing with it is that every time people play they get to make up new rules.

I'd suggest letting them play with Apples to Apples, and possibly even teaching them to play Settlers of Catan.
  • edited 2016-11-25 03:24:39
    (2015 self)
    This message has self destructed.

Or, rather, I feel nervous having something so personal in a public place.
  • I hope you and your othergator have a lovely time of it
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You are you, and whatever you are or want to be, is Okay. People change, and that is absolutely fine; but I get that not being the easiest thing, never mind talking about said changes. But you, you're still good in my books, and definitely not a "failure," or bad for changing. I wish you both a wonderful time, friendo.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Change is natural and OK and you should do what makes you happy. :)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Good luck, gator!
  • edited 2016-11-24 08:07:03
    Good luck with everything, Aliroz!

And I should visit estuaries myself more often...though nowadays inland wetlands interest me more.  I should visit that one local park more often.

Edit: This.  This one.  http://www.ppines.com/Facilities/Facility/Details/Chapel-Trail-Park-Nature-Preserve-4

It's got horrible ecosystem connectivity because it's surrounded by suburban southeast Florida developments, but at least it's better than nothing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Good luck, gator!

(2015 self)
    Amnyways, 

Zeljko Ivanek should totally play Inspector Runge if they ever do a live-action Monster.
  • I snapped some photos of a soft-shelled turtle a couple days ago.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I expected Pokemon (because I missed which thread this was posted in). Sad bird.
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:
    Those are good policies.

If you notice, most politicians neither clutch eggs nor bask in the sun.
    (2015 self)
    Fun fact:  the Marquis de Lafayette bought John Quincy Adams a pet alligator.  It was awesome.
  • Aliroz said:

Fun fact:  the Marquis de Lafayette bought John Quincy Adams a pet alligator.  It was awesome.

Is it ethical, regarding the treatment of the alligator, to keep an alligator as a pet?
  • Depends on whether Johnny Q had the right accommodations. 

A small lake filled with fish would probably suffice. It did for the gator that used to live in the school lake, at least until it got big.
  • edited 2016-12-13 23:46:00
    (2015 self)
    Man, I want to complain about things.  Especially Parker and Stone, their namestealing play and un-name-able movie.  About everything.

But, well, it just feels wrong, somehow, what with the election.  What does my problem matter, when that problem concerns everybody in this nation, on this continent, in the world?

It feels like the resources of Solidarity, Validation, Sympathy, and Commiseration operate on a hierarchy of needs.
  • Your feelings were valid before the election, when there were struggles in other parts of the world. They're still valid now.
    (2015 self)
    So, I really want to go to Rogue One today, but othergator has pinkeye and doesn't want to sit in the corner of the front row even though this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and would prefer to go after my work tomorrow.

I swear, if my co-workers younger than I have seen it and spoilertalk about it tomorrow, I'm going to have to beat them up and steal their money.

Serves them right for having rich-people games like TF2, Overwatch, and Fallout 4.
  • lol I've spent exactly $0.49 on Team Fortress 2 and used it to get a lot of Steam store credit

though to be fair I've also wasted at least a few hundred hours playing it and probably another few hundred hours figuring out how to trade my stuff
    Aliroz said:

So, I really want to go to Rogue One today, but othergator has pinkeye and doesn't want to sit in the corner of the front row even though this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and would prefer to go after my work tomorrow.

I swear, if my co-workers younger than I have seen it and spoilertalk about it tomorrow, I'm going to have to beat them up and steal their money.

Serves them right for having rich-people games like TF2, Overwatch, and Fallout 4.

Othergator?

Also TF2 is f2p
  • edited 2016-12-16 00:31:05
    (2015 self)
    Tamlin said:

I hope you and your othergator have a lovely time of it

This othergator. 
    Ah
    2 things

1: Max Shreck was supposed to be the Penguin's brother in an early draft of the script, so you were right

2. The reason the Penguin isn't actually being good is that he's too controlled by his id and actually being good doesn't sound as fun as getting the benefits without doing so.
    (2015 self)
    Ah, okay.

Saw Rogue One, enjoyed it greatly.
  • "Hey, brah!" the frat boy says, offering you a fist-bump. "I'm Chaz, and I'm like totes gonna blow your mind with this chakra shiz. You ready for this?"

"Sure, I guess. So what's the sixth chakra?"

Chaz gives you a knowing wink and taps the visor of his baseball cap.

"...Forehead?" you ask. "Oh, you mean like 'third eye', something like that?"

"Nah, brah! Nah! It's Hat, dogg!"

"...Hat. The last chakra is the Hat chakra? Are you serious?"

"Real talk, dogg!" he says. "Look, your hat is how you present yourself to the universe, right? It's the, like, culmination of your social persona! The kind of hat you wear and the way you wear it, that says more about you than any other thing -- or anyway, about the 'you' that you want others to see."

"Hmm..."

"Look, right, I'm wearing my cap forward. I look like a regular dude. But I turn it forty-five degrees to the right--" (he demonstrates) "--and now what do you see? You see a dude who's ready to par-tay! Like out of control, brah! That tiny change in the turn of my hat creates a massive change in your mental model of me! That's the power of perception, presentation, and nonverbal communication! Hat chakra, yo!"

"Oookay," you say. "All right, I'll buy that... I guess."

"Then rock out that meditation, brah! Yeah!"
  • With Your Brain silenced, freeing you from nagging self-doubt and reminders of your past mistakes, you are able to clear the last of the spiritual muck away from your Hat chakra. It glows with a brilliant violet light. You feel a great sense of oneness with the universe, and all the other versions of yourself that inhabit the minds of the other people in that universe -- selves created by the filtering of your objective presence through the lenses of individual perceptions. You are light reflected in the facets of an infinite jewel, and... and this has something to do with hats, somehow.
    (2015 self)
    It is.

I had to read it twice before I really got what the grandma not looking like the dad remembers, the nativity story, and the pregnant jewish woman next door meant.
    (2015 self)
    My masterpiece of several months ago.
    (2015 self)
    Suchian is now a bus.
    (2015 self)
  • Hey Aliroz, do you agree that there should be more media that portray swamps positively rather than negatively?
    (2015 self)
    Of course, unless you are referring to electric charge.
    Did you ever read The Skull of Truth by Bruce Coville? A big plot point is the main character trying to convince people of how ecologically valuable swamps are, and why it's bad to drain one.
    (2015 self)
    Nope! I'll have to check it out.
  • Incidentally my reaction to the "drain the swamp" meme is basically "the heck are you talking about? swamps are good".

Which might or might not apply to the governing class establishment depending on what aspect you're thinking of.  (Institutional knowledge, yes; corruption, no.)