General Video Game Thread

Comments

• I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    so it turns out Pyre is blatant furry bait

imageimage
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-27 06:12:18
    It probably says a lot about the internet that that line was in fact necessary.

I mean those taxi drivers, amirite
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Does anyone know any itch.io games I might like?

I should probably check out that world myself.
  • They're making The Sims 4 for the PS4 and Xbox One.

Not sure if I'm excited or not.

I love The Sims series, and I enjoy watching Sims 4 videos, and I have a PS4, but I'm such a big The Sims 3 fan that I don't know if I'll just be waisting my money on it...
    imageimage
    geeze Hedwyn keep it in your pants man
    almost literally any screenshot of this game is suitable to be used as a desktop wallpaper. 

• The ratgirl in Where To has the best "I am so done with my situation" face.

Additonally, she is, like

The most british person alive
  • Does anyone know any itch.io games I might like?

I should probably check out that world myself.

I've bought like three things there. A good number are duplicates of games already available elsewhere, though they get discounted at different times. But also they tend to offer DRM-free + Steam key when the game is on Steam, which is nice (though not always the case).

Also, they have a built in multiple watchlist feature. I think they even recently implemented emailing you when games on your list go on sale.

What kinds of games are you interested in?
  • edited 2017-07-28 15:23:29
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I tend to prefer ludology-type games, where you can just pick up and play. I generally prefer games where the actions you make directly affect what happens on screen. I also to shy away from games with a lot of narrative or violence.

Cave Story and Plants vs. Zombies are two examples of my favourites.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-29 06:33:21
    So in Final Fantasy Record Keeper, Cloud's USB has been out for a few weeks now, and holy shit it's ridiculous.  I'm comfortably farming a 300-level megaboss with 850k HP just using it as a roamer, and I'm not even using wall.

Like, this is a game where the damage cap is 9999, and you can hit 99999 with a very specific subset of moves and a whole lot of buff/debuff stacking.  With Cloud USB my strategy is to wind imperil and repeatedly throw Luneth's burst entry for almost 300k a pop.  It utterly demolishes just about anything that isn't already heavily resistant to wind.
  • kill living beings
    is this related to kramer's epic quest for hentai
  • I tend to prefer ludology-type games, where you can just pick up and play. I generally prefer games where the actions you make directly affect what happens on screen. I also to shy away from games with a lot of narrative or violence.

I'm not sure I completely understand this, but...is PixelJunk Eden such a game?
    Oh man I forgot about the pixel junk games. Those are good.
  • I haven't played others yet.  Eden is...fun, but sorta tiring after a while.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

I tend to prefer ludology-type games, where you can just pick up and play. I generally prefer games where the actions you make directly affect what happens on screen. I also to shy away from games with a lot of narrative or violence.

I'm not sure I completely understand this, but...is PixelJunk Eden such a game?
    Sorry for the delayed response, but I didn't see this until now.

@Crystal can probably summarize what I mean better than I can.
  • edited 2017-07-30 21:30:36
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    So, fun game stuff: In the Exdeath fight in FFXIV, there is a mechanic called Void Blizzard III. If you aren't moving when the cast for Blizzard III ends, you get frozen in place for a few seconds, and have a mild DoT placed on you for the duration.

However, ever since the release of Patch 4.05 (when the Savage fights came out), there's been a bug in certain instances of the fight. Namely, in any instance of the fight that is bugged, anybody who is hit by Blizzard III is afflicted with a DoT that does 40k damage per tick. Right now, the average health for non-tanks is about 30-33k, so you can guess what happens next.
  • Sounds like the normal mechanics of a lot of WoW raids I remember.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-08-06 05:00:30
    So I finally got some decent free time and I'm poking into the final dungeon of my four job fiesta.

Omega is a major no-go.  Stop is reflected, and the only things I have that can even do damage are Cave In and Meteor.  Both of those things trigger asstons of counters that can hit me for almost 6x max HP, and one is a random attack where the other possibilities actually heal him.  Got nothing here folks :(

Amusingly, he interrupts Quick to fire his counterattack spam, so no go there either.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-08-07 03:33:53
    And done.

The Rift was really cathartic after pussyfooting around the whole game up till then.  Here I could just Meteor/Holy spam everything in sight, and I could just Mix Hi Potion + Ether to full recharge MP.

Dragon kiss/power was nice to abuse against Exdeath (White Hole and Grand Cross are completely nullified), but even then meteor could instantly wipe me through shell so I had to kill the last two heads perfectly.  Pictured below, Lenna had lined up Quick and was going to double Meteor the last head if it survived that last hit.

The real PITA in the Rift was Twintania.  Gigaflare could also wipe me through shell, and this version shortens the cast time to less than half a second.  Ended up hitting him with Twister + knife, but took several tries.

So yes.  For anyone who wondered, you can in fact complete FFV with only White Mage, Time Mage, Geomancer, and Chemist.
  • On a different note, anyone interested in a couch co-op puzzler should look into Death Squared.  The premise is a bit cliche but the puzzles are creative and tricky.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-08-08 03:50:16
    And on an entirely separate /alexcontent note, this guy commissioned a real-ass smith to make a real-ass Fire Emblem Armorslayer.  It's surprisingly plausible.

• So, in my latest game of EU4, 30 years war fires and Austria is leading the Catholic league and Bohemia is leading the Protestant league so everything is pretty normal. At some point I glance over and see Austria has some protestant rebels and then basically ignore that and go back to being the Golden Horde. Later I get a message saying Spain is the new Emperor and apparently those Protestant Zealots managed to force covert Austria to being Protestant.

The only problem with this is because the League war already fired, Austria is still the main defender for the Catholics, while being protestant and Spain, The Holy Roman Emperor, is fighting against Austria on the Protestant side of the league war. EU4 everybody.
  • Can anyone recommend ROGs with progression systems similar to/satisfying in a sinilar way to FFVII's Materia system?
  • edited 2017-08-10 14:36:01
    I'm not sure exactly what kind of similarity you're looking for, but I do know Trails in the Sky has equippable "quartz" that act similarly to materia, in that equipping them gives you some abilities and also alters your character's attributes (i.e. stats).

Instead of leveling up each materia separately to get the higher level abilities, what you do is you chain several of them together (in your character's "orbment" which holds six quartz in an arrangement specific to each character, not dependent on weapon like in FF7), and more advanced quartz have higher quartz values when chaining, and the magic spells (called "Arts") you get to use depend on the total value of each quartz chain.

You also get a separate meter for limit breaks, though this is also used to do some special physical attacks, called Crafts.  Limit breaks, called S-Crafts, can even be cast out of turn, and can be used once your meter is at least 100 (it goes up to 200), and always empties your meter.  You build this limit meter by taking as well as dealing damage.
  • So, in my latest game of EU4, 30 years war fires and Austria is leading the Catholic league and Bohemia is leading the Protestant league so everything is pretty normal. At some point I glance over and see Austria has some protestant rebels and then basically ignore that and go back to being the Golden Horde. Later I get a message saying Spain is the new Emperor and apparently those Protestant Zealots managed to force covert Austria to being Protestant.

The only problem with this is because the League war already fired, Austria is still the main defender for the Catholics, while being protestant and Spain, The Holy Roman Emperor, is fighting against Austria on the Protestant side of the league war. EU4 everybody.

sounds like real-life politics

laughtrack.wav
  • I'm not sure exactly what kind of similarity you're looking for,

Mostly games with a similar items-as-progression sensibility with the same tactile satisfaction swapping around materia has.

but I do know Trails in the Sky has equippable "quartz" that act similarly to materia, in that equipping them gives you some abilities and also alters your character's attributes (i.e. stats).

Instead of leveling up each materia separately to get the higher level abilities, what you do is you chain several of them together (in your character's "orbment" which holds six quartz in an arrangement specific to each character, not dependent on weapon like in FF7), and more advanced quartz have higher quartz values when chaining, and the magic spells (called "Arts") you get to use depend on the total value of each quartz chain.

You also get a separate meter for limit breaks, though this is also used to do some special physical attacks, called Crafts.  Limit breaks, called S-Crafts, can even be cast out of turn, and can be used once your meter is at least 100 (it goes up to 200), and always empties your meter.  You build this limit meter by taking as well as dealing damage.

Sounds interesting, though! How good is Trails in the Sky as a veg out type game?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Not the best, far as I can tell. Fairly strategic and junk.
  • edited 2017-08-10 16:49:48
    It's not a particularly difficult game and if you just want an easy ride you have both a difficulty selector (not sure if there's specifically an Easy setting) and a "retry offset" feature that makes a battle easier if you retry it after losing it.  You can also relatively easy run into enemies from behind, so you get first turn on them.  You can easily get more money and resources than you'd ever need, and you can definitely do things at your own pace.  If you want to speed up the battles or the running around, the PC version even recently added a turbo button feature.

The only really intense feature it has is lots of text used in worldbuilding and characterization of all the NPCs, so to get the most out of it you shouldn't expect to just click through all the text boxes and ignore them.  But it's not like you're on a time limit or anything -- if you're used to just letting yourself get carried by the flow of the plot, this game does that well, as far as I know.  And you're rewarded for exploration, though you don't necessarily need to do so if you don't want to (you just get sundry other perks like money and higher bracer level, as well as sundry other goodies).

And the game works with keyboard alone, mouse alone, kb+m, and gamepad, so it basically works with any setup you want to use to relax.

So I'd recommend it for "vegging out", and it'll feel more fulfilling than simply messing with a timewaster that gets nowhere, since you get a really nice story out of it.  Only thing is that you have to be willing to read the story as it's presented to you, of course, and you also get rewarded if you go seek out more story.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-08-10 20:25:35
    The combat in Trails is more final fantasy tactics than final fantasy. It's also VERY story heavy. I recommend it in general but probably not specifically as a veg out game unless that's how you veg.
  • I dunno about you but I actually stood at the cliffs on the road to Ruan, for a little while, simply pretending that I was Estelle and taking in the scenery.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So for anybody who's interesting in RPGs with a lot of humor, clever wordplay, and demonic bovines

West of Loathing just came out today
    I'm buying it for the color blind mode.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    it's a little insane that Fate/Grand Order just lets you bring lvl. 80 Servants along with you free of charge, no questions asked

i like the game, though.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    someone say demonic bovines
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    One of the significant background events of the game is the Day the Cows Came Home, an event where hellportals opened up and corrupted nearly every cow in the West, turning them into demonic hellbeasts.

Naturally, one of the character classes is Cow Puncher, a heroic fighter dedicated to the destruction of these beasties.
  • Decided I wanted to try out TF2 again.

Hopped onto a Valve server with match making, and ended up on a 2fort server where 3 of the 8 people on the opposite team were hacking. Not stealth-hacking and trying to play "legit" but just "automatically headshot you before you even leave the base" hacking. VAC ain't doing crap about it.

So I went to a skial server on a different game, and realized I was in a similar conundrum. A team of 5 snipers vs a team of 4 snipers who were ridiculously good, suspiciously good to the point where I had some of them turning to aim at me even though I was behind them. Trying to pretend that they all weren't using the same hacks to land every shot they fired. LMAObox has basically defeated VAC, and I learned a long time ago that valve doesn't review ANY tickets on cheating at all, and it's simply a band aid system they've introduced to keep some people satisfied.

A lot of the servers I favorited are gone now, some are still around but during the late hours it's filled with people who you're better off not playing with. I've gotten way better over time but there's only so much you can do against a person who never misses and knows which direction you're coming from all the time.