General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-12 01:57:07
    Like a moron I went into the crystals fight with Galuf as a white mage.  Whoops.

Tried to use Reflect.  Nope, he pierces.  Slow way it was.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-13 02:49:06
    Main fight with Exdeath was exactly as bad as I anticipated.  You can't buy rods in the 2nd world except for Bio, and he's immune, so just a lot of cometspam.

Complication: the last random encounter before fighting Exdeath put half my party at lv 27.  Exdeath has Level 3 Flare.  This meant half my party would randomly get salsa'd by a 1000+ piercing nuke.

Still, that's that down and I'm in the 3rd world.  Now I get to go through one of the most obnoxious dungeons in the game with 3 people and zero damage output between them.  Joy.
  • Jeebus... that does not sound like a fun time. :/
    I can only wish you the best of luck with the rest of the run then, Bee.
    A few failures and some changes to my set-up later, revenge against Omega is sweet.
  • What's the dead Faris on the bottom?  I'm trying to figure out what you did.
  • edited 2017-07-14 00:58:22
    I went for the 3 Hasted Calm users strategy while Bartz just does what a Berserker does.

It wasn't perfect as he managed to get a Wave Cannon in and Atomic Rays, to which the top 3 had Reflect Rings or Flame Rings and Faris didn't. Soooo...

I'm glad he didn't go for Earth Shaker, I think I would've been fucked.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-14 01:00:22
    Oh right, Calm used to be bugged to work on things it wasn't supposed to.

I'm on a version that fixed that.  At least I have access to Real Stop, so I might be able to kill it with Meteor...if I can get it.
  • And Shinryu defeated. Really wished he had a boss death animation so I could screenshot it better.

But thank you, Mirage Vest glitch and Berserk.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Finished my first playthrough of OneShot, with the Return Home ending. Can't say much about the game in general without spoiling the whole thing, but game's good.
  • I approve as well
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-19 04:28:29
    Today on No-Damage FFV Party...Fork Tower down!

Ended up having Chemist mix up some haste + berserk roids.  Only remembered after berserking him that he was still in the back row.  Whoops.

So yeah now I have a second legit damage spell.  Probably not going to be able to do Bahamut.  Nobody has the HP to survive Megaflare even with Shell up.  I guess I might be able to have everyone use Quick + 2x Meteor.

I expect the rest of the game is going to be fairly okay at this point though.  Holy is good even when you have proper offense.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    SCH in FFXIV is now the oGCD healer, and it's an interesting playstyle.

(Note to help understand the following: Baseline single target heals are 400 potency, AoE 300, and potency scales linearly.)

Our core mechanic is Aetherflow, which is a 1m CD that restores 10% of our MP and gives us 3 stacks of, well, Aetherflow. Aetherflow stacks can be spent on the following oGCD abilities:

Lustrate: 600 potency single target heal. 1s CD.
    Excogitation: 800 potency single target heal that triggers if the target goes below 50% HP in the next 45s. 45s CD.
    Indomitability: 500 potency AoE heal. 30s CD.
    Energy Drain: 150 potency single target attack that restores roughly 7% of your MP. 10s CD.
    Sacred Soil: Ground targeted AoE that grants 10% damage reduction to anyone inside and persists for 15s. 30s CD. Doesn't get used much because that's a stack you could have spent on Indom.

All Aetherflow abilities also reduce the remaining CD on Aetherflow by 5s, meaning that functionally, it's on a 45s CD.

To complement this, we also have an instant cast AoE, Miasma II, which does 100 potency damage upfront, and 100 potency as a 12s DoT, meaning we can attack and heal at the exact same time.

We also have our own fairy pet, who has a 250 potency single target heal, an AoE HoT that is 700 potency over 21s, an AoE 20% magic defence buff, and an AoE 10% healing buff.

What I'm saying is that SCH is really fun.
  • Bee said:

Ended up having Chemist mix up some haste + berserk roids.  Only remembered after berserking him that he was still in the back row.  Whoops.

So yeah now I have a second legit damage spell.  Probably not going to be able to do Bahamut.  Nobody has the HP to survive Megaflare even with Shell up.  I guess I might be able to have everyone use Quick + 2x Meteor.

I expect the rest of the game is going to be fairly okay at this point though.  Holy is good even when you have proper offense.
    How do you even do a no-DMG run?
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    The Morrowind 2 tumblr is gone and the world has lost a truly great piece of artwork. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-21 18:50:17
    Viani said:

Bee said:

How do you even do a no-DMG run?
    Sorry, I don't mean no damage taken.  I'm doing a four job fiesta and it gave me entirely defensive casters with almost no offensive options (I literally have three offensive spells available -- one was past the game's halfway mark, one from this very fight in an endgame bonus dungeon, and one more from an endgame bonus dungeon after that).

The fight I just described involved killing a boss that you have to fight with half your party, while perma-silenced, by buffing the shit out of a back-row caster with specialty items and having him repeatedly stab it with a legendary dagger while hasted and berserked for all of 300 damage at a time.  The boss had 20,000.
  • kill living beings
    ok so i beat breath of the wild

ganon was actually... pretty easy. i mean i had to use some recovery items but i was more stressed out about the dungeon bosses. the second form was really really easy, i guess he only has one attack and he doesn't really aim it at you?

the reason it was easy, i think, is that i've run around the whole damn world so much that i've upgraded my armor to the point that i can just stand there and shrug off artillery fire

also: i was not expecting the first form to look like that. A+ design, the whole game ganon is this abstract evil dragon thing, and then... oh. it's ganon.
  • kill living beings
    apparently there is a true ending that happens if you go back to impa with all the memories first, so, guess i'll do it again and see if he's harder now
  • Supercharged Mecha-Ridley
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my brother-in-law beat Ganon right at the very beginning, without getting any upgrades beforehand.

he is a game masochist
  • kill living beings
    at the very beginning? can you even do it without the master sword and the mecha?
    apparently so. You just use whatever weapons you can pick up on the way to Ganon's pad.
  • edited 2017-07-22 18:39:52
    is that like beating MMX2 or MMX5 with no upgrades

• this fight just takes a ridiculously long time
    insanity
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-23 03:17:56
    I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics A2.  Fuck Popocho and his fucking chocobos.  They're supposedly on your side, but will go out of their way to attack enemies with powerful counterattacks, heal opponents, and turn their backs to anything threatening, and have such low stats that they die in two hits.  If any of them go down, instant loss.

And every time you try the mission you have to listen to this jackass moogle fail to pronounce "chocobo" for half a goddamn minute.
  • kill living beings
    i can sort of imagine that (the ganon thing) happening, but the trick is that weapons break a lot, especially the rusty ones you'd get on the way to ganon

on that note: i don't get the design of the coliseum. characters talk about it like it's a mini dungeon where there are tough enemies who get progressively harder, and you can get good stuff off em. and it is set up like that! the second floor has bokoblins with fire weapons, the third lizalfos with ice weapons, and the fourth moblins with thunder weapons. that makes sense. it's a reasonable little progression to fight through.

but then on the floor, there's a silver lynel. literally the toughest single enemy in the game. i broke three (very good!) swords fighting it. like i had a fresh, unused, edge of duality or some shit, and that was enough to take out a third of its health. you can't sneak by lynels very well because they're super observant, and anyway the floor is an open area. even if you did get to the stairs, the whole area of the upper floors is exposed to the center, and the lynel has a bow with lightning arrows and will absolutely kill you with them.
    look, this bro-in-law of mine, he beats games like Ecco the Dolphin and Battletoads without cheating and without breaking a sweat

you'd have to ask him how he does it
  • kill living beings
    i don't talk to such people, i watch pay a nickel to the guard at bedlam to poke them with a stick
  • kill living beings

found a video of someone doing it "immediately"

they've got a great frostblade so i mean it's not like they just flew there from the plateau probably, but still

i like this. see if you get all the divine beasts, like i did, before you start the fight they laser off half of ganon's health. if you don't get a divine beast, apparently, you have to fight the divine beast boss before you fight ganon, with no break. harsh but fair
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-23 04:36:29
    I've beaten Ecco without cheating.  My sister, and mother, and I had to tag-team The Machine at first, but eventually I handled it myself.  That was when I was...eight?  Did it again in college when one of my friends was getting PS3 trophies for the Sega collection and got stuck on that game.

It gets a lot easier (relative term, lol) if you realize you can alternate the dash and sonar buttons to speed forward and sonar attack ahead of you.  Most enemies get stunned long enough for you to speed right past them unharmed.
    Well, I've beaten every level except The Machine, so maybe it's not that bad, but still
  • We seriously had to individually memorize long stretches of the level and trade off the controller on each one.  That level is fucking long.
    The Japanese version gives you checkpoints at least.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I mean, look, if you wanna see someone do it immediately there are like at least 5 different speedruns on youtube

• kill living beings
    "no amiibo", ok
  • edited 2017-07-27 02:50:06
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

So the Exdeath -> Neo Exdeath phase transition is approximately the coolest thing ever.
  • okay that is pretty fucking awesome
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I really, really want to play FFXIV for moments like these

but I don't want to spend so many hours of my life on an MMO like this

decisions decisions
    unexpected means of entry
  • This is the same villain who jumped you by disguising himself as a splinter in a girl's finger.  If there's one thing Exdeath had down, it's unexpected means of entry.
  • I've been playing stuff from itchio lately
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Itch.io is really good and I really need to get to playing the games from it I downloaded as far back as last year, at least.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tamlin said:

I've been playing stuff from itchio lately

Check out Kitty Horrorshow
  • i will

im mostly just happy b/c the games on this site are just

much nicer than the ones ive bought on steam

u know