General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Bunny said:

One of the significant background events of the game is the Day the Cows Came Home, an event where hellportals opened up and corrupted nearly every cow in the West, turning them into demonic hellbeasts.

Naturally, one of the character classes is Cow Puncher, a heroic fighter dedicated to the destruction of these beasties.

this game is getting the Imi Boycott
  • re TF2: I generally dislike 2fort since it sorta leads to stale gameplay like that.  Capture the flag in general.

I generally prefer payload maps.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    2fort is all long stalemates, which is why people who play the game for social reasons love it
  • edited 2017-08-11 20:55:29
    I also learned to avoid Skial servers back in the day.  Tended to be populated by people who were way too good and liked rubbing it in your face.

These days I just use Valve's servers in casual matchmaking and play on basically any game modes except for some of the special ones, or ctf, or koth.  The reason I avoid ctf and koth is because the action basically just revolves around one place, or one chokepoint.  The payload maps have a continuously-moving target (or two in payload races), and there's much more interestingness to be had in going around to try to surprise either side.  Trying to screw with your enemies is just more exciting than simply patrolling an area to watch for them.
    I think most isometric WRPGs, 451 games, and metroidvanias are actually pretty unfun and C- as products and 90skid game reveiewers give them too much leeway for this for exciting their imagination as teenagers.
    metroidvanias are the best game genre there is, though
  • Odradek said:

I think most isometric WRPGs, 451 games, and metroidvanias are actually pretty unfun and C- as products and 90skid game reveiewers give them too much leeway for this for exciting their imagination as teenagers.

til i am a 90skid game reviewer with no real opinions of my own
    Jane said:

Odradek said:

til i am a 90skid game reviewer with no real opinions of my own
    Sorry I might be wrong
  • ARK SURVIVAL EVOLVED IS THE TIGHTEST SHIT

not as tight as Minecraft was but GOD DAMN

I wished for this kind of game to exist every since I was a kid

Man in the wild vs Dinos

HOWEVER, its not exactly that in all regards, since they're superpowered subspecies (a 64 foot tall, 146 foot long Giganotosaurus, and a Titanosaurus roughly 460 feet long and 150 feet high are two egregrious examples)

and they have a LOT OF CREATIVE LIBERTIES APPLIED TO THEM (acid spitting acid blood Arthropleura, Cobra/Boa hybrid Titanoboa, JP ripoff Dilophosaurus, T-Dominus (the Rex), and worst/best of all, a Quetzalcoatlus that can carry a metal fortress on its back.

Game is great and has a lot of conflicting themes in it. Its good fun. You die very easily.
  • Odradek said:

I don't completely disagree and I think there's an interesting conversation to be had here but I wish you phrased this in a way that doesn't imply emotional dishonesty on the part of people who genuinely care about something.

451 games?

• edited 2017-08-16 04:13:50
    Okay, so it IS an oblique reference to Fahrenheit 451, ultimately.  But it's basically an independent meme now.

Thanks for posting the video.

[aside commentary]

Incidentally, this video discusses a thing that vaguely makes me wonder if it links a taste for a sort of "dark" fiction -- aesthetically dark and/or thematically dark, given after-the-fall dystopian premises, and incidentally also a willingness to dive directly into philosophical positions and political ideologies -- with the notion that these games are "more mature" than games with more typical colorful fantasy elements, such as is stereotypically characteristic of, say, Nintendo games.  And of course, these games are...often staples of the PC gaming scene.

Now, the next time someone says "Nintendo games are kiddie games" in an argument I'm going to throw Contra III: The Alien Wars at them, and ask them to appreciate the giant boss head decapitation at the end of stage 3.  But, to be fair, very often, those more "mature" narrative elements -- which are likely things children wouldn't pick up, teens may be starting to get exposure to and may find really cool, and adults are most able to properly put into context and understand -- are often correlated with "mature" visual and content elements, such as a more realistic visual style, use of violence and gore and bloody imagery, and in some cases more use of/references to sexual topics.  And unfortunately, these arguably more superficial elements are much more readily identifiable, and thus became the meterstick of "mature" games, rather than literary/philosophical/political themes.

(One could honestly explore the themes in "kiddie" games just as much -- there's quite a lot of material rich in theming in such games as Earthbound and Golden Sun, but perhaps just because it looks fantastic, people who enjoy these themes -- and presumably are used to more "mature" games -- may make less conversation on the themes in these games.)

[tangent]

Tangent: watching the FPS gameplay in that video is giving me a headache.
    the decapitation in Contra III is a mild example because it's a robot

and the game was made by Konami anyway
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • i wonder if it's going to launch with denuvo
  • https://shepple.itch.io/heartbeat

been having a lot of fun with this over the past few days!! a pokemon-ish RPG, feel-good, there's over 10 hours worth of content w/ a post-game and multiple endings here, and this is just the demo
  • edited 2017-08-22 23:09:30
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I tend to prefer ludology-type games, where you can just pick up and play. I generally prefer games where the actions you make directly affect what happens on screen. I also to shy away from games with a lot of narrative or violence.

Cave Story and Plants vs. Zombies are two examples of my favourites.

I'm not sure I completely understand this, but...is PixelJunk Eden such a game?
    Sorry for the delayed response, but I didn't see this until now.

@Crystal can probably summarize what I mean better than I can.
    I think from a mechanics standpoint the sorts of games they prefer can be described as "Casual, but with a high skill ceiling and non-prohibitive gameplay." Stuff like Sonic, and various games that you can find on the Sega Mega Drive on Steam. Then there're the "retro"/old and retro-inspired games in terms of aesthetic look and overall design, with Cave Story being the premier example, while something like Cook, Serve, Delicious! fit the pick-up-and-play mold (and what partially makes me think he would appreciate some of the less intensive roguelikes). Nothing 3D more-or-less categorically. So, stuff that can charitably be described as a "throwback" while having actual substance to the ludonarrative gameplay at the best of times.

Also, other thematic preferences like with how gratuitous violence is gross and/or a bore, and a preference for 2D over 3D. Plus a fair bit of liking for platformers, I think?
    I've been reading an SA LP of the Kings Quest games and there's a big section in KQ3 that's basically Abused Child Simulator that is conceptually interesting and was probably a big influence on someone or other.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    so there's a ballpit in the new stuff pack for the sims 4 and it looks like
    ...this.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In the words of Clint "LGR" Basinger: "I've seen better ball pits at DashCon!"
  • It's really bad.

I get they need to keep polygon counts low so the game can run on less powerful hardware but like... just make any other object than a ball pit (kiddie pool, sandbox, etc...).
  • edited 2017-08-31 18:28:22
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I got the Professional Hedgehog achievement in Sonic Mania (beat Titanic Monarch Act 1 without being hit) without using Super Sonic.
  • That was mesmerizing.

Tangentially related, but I'm really not a fan of classic Sonic's general level design sensibility? It always felt a bit too explore-y which doesn't suit fast play. 
  • I disagree, I think it's pretty neat to explore stuff regardless, feels like it adds something something extra to the game and some neat replay value.
  • Hence "not a fan" as opposed to "think it's bad." Clearly it's something that resonates with people, but I've always liked linear platformers/outright Metroidvanias more than exploratory platformers.
  • Fair enough then. Just neat to see different people's thoughts.
    oh shit I forgot I gotta play Sonic Mania

anyway, I do like some exploration in my Sonics. That way you don't have to play the level the same route every time.
    I thought the idea was that every level would have multiple paths you kinda commit yourself too, so on replays you can try out a different route and see if you like it better
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yeah i think that's it

i think Sonic levels should be designed with the assumption that experienced players will attempt speedruns, but i do like exploration in games

i remember secret rings was very on-the-rails, and had minimal exploration; definitely felt like something was missing to me
  • edited 2017-08-31 19:36:41
    Titanic Monarch isn't actually particularly conducive to speedruns, because it's A) really long, and B) phase 2 of the boss is complete RNG.

(I timed out the first time I did Act 1)
  • Hexartes said:

That was mesmerizing.

Tangentially related, but I'm really not a fan of classic Sonic's general level design sensibility? It always felt a bit too explore-y which doesn't suit fast play. 
    I actually feel the same way.  The two design goals sorta clash with each other, unless you are replaying the game.  Meanwhile, a more casual (as in I don't play it very much) Sonic player like myself feels like they're missing out on a lot by not going there or missing this path or that ledge etc..

Titanic Monarch isn't actually particularly conducive to speedruns, because it's A) really long, and B) phase 2 of the boss is complete RNG.

(I timed out the first time I did Act 1)
    That boss is RNG as to whether it's up or down, right?  Why can't you hit it when it's up?
  • Huh. I actually managed to hit the boss while it's up.
  • edited 2017-08-31 21:12:49

That boss is RNG as to whether it's up or down, right?  Why can't you hit it when it's up?

When the elevator is going up, your jump height is reduced.
  • edited 2017-08-31 21:17:53
    Got my FJF run in just under the bell!
  • edited 2017-09-01 06:23:36
    But yeah, that Titanic Monarch Zone video is indeed mesmerizing and fun to watch.

I'm impressed by this game.  And the music is great too!
  • The level design looks fantastic.  Holy shit.

Sonic Team did it right this time!  :D
  • Titanic Monarch timed me out a few times, so I'm a bit bias against it. :T

But tis a neat level, I just prefer the other original levels too. Press Garden and Studiopolis. UNF.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I like how during the true final boss, the timer just flat out gives up and starts spewing random numbers.

Also Mania is a prequel to Forces, which lol.
  • Bee said:

The level design looks fantastic.  Holy shit.

Sonic Team did it right this time!  :D
    did it right by letting other people make the game
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

game of the year. game of every year
    what is this about Sonic Mania having some evil DRM thing that violates human decency
  • Epitome said:

game of the year. game of every year
    who is that doing the voice over? sounds real familiar but I forgot all the anime voice actors I knew
  • what is this about Sonic Mania having some evil DRM thing that violates human decency

It uses Denuvo.
    and