General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the iBuffalo SNES-type gamepad is the only pad you'll ever need
  • kill living beings
    i got the master sword and beat the dungeons. i can, with effort and an open mind towards being lit on fire, destroy guardians. now i just gotta go get killed by ganon.

i've spent like 90% of my game time on sidequests so there's not much reason to delay. The ones I want to do are the plotty ones, namely finding the last photographs and sacrificing at the triforce sites. i just got the last great fairy so that's out of the way. one of the photos is probably in hyrule castle and the other is that forest one... no idea what to do with that. no idea what to do with the dragons either.

i saw this review before i started playing the game, said something to the effect of "Nintendo has with a ton of effort made the best game an open world game can be, and it still has serious problems because open world games are inherently flawed". or something. didn't read the article. time better spent on giant killing. but that idea stuck with me.

and playing the game i think about it a lot. or just video games being flawed, really. the game does a great job of not feeling like a game. i mean obviously you're controlling a character but things generally just kind of make sense. if you wear something flammable near a fire it might catch. If you go to a village and try to listen to a private conversation they tell you to fuck off. one interesting thing is that the flashback scenes show other characters using your mechanics devices; zelda has the sheikah slate for selfies and notes on mechatronic thaumaturgy, attempts unsuccessfully to break into a shrime, talks about research into elixirs. the world fits together and you can't see bhind the curtain to the extent that you forget there is one.

...until there's a minor slip up, as happens sometimes.

and then, what? this video game fucked up and reminded me that it was a video game. that it was an unending complex of procedurally generated lies all in service of having me spend a few bucks on it. ganon the ancient shadow isn't really a threat because there's nothing to threaten. if i beat him maybe i'll restart on a higher difficulty and hyrule will no longer be saved. there are no persnalities or forms or shapws or the fcound the youthidy thom. i nev th tht tht ht hhh esh  hhh iiopppn
    video games were a mistake
  • kill living beings
    "immersion" just seems like such a weird thing to have to preserve

in a book you just... don't say things like "wow this is right out of a badly written novel!" and for a movie you just keep the boom mic out of frame

i mean that's not true. but there's not such a thing as a movie that would be good except that viewers couldn't help but notice the plot was constructed over a thin set of rules
    I disagree, having watched Top Gun last night.
  • I think the only interesting idea I've read about video games on the whole over the past 5 years was the idea that the medium itself doesn't actually exist. Since anything that includes both Tetris and Gone Home is useless as a descriptor.
  • kill living beings

I disagree, having watched Top Gun last night.

those crazy pilots don't play by no rules
    Jane said:

I think the only interesting idea I've read about video games on the whole over the past 5 years was the idea that the medium itself doesn't actually exist. Since anything that includes both Tetris and Gone Home is useless as a descriptor.

i dunno mon

the last video game i really played through was probably talos principle, a game where (spoiler for ten minutes in) everything depicted takes place in a slightly buggy reorientation of Serious Engine, just like talos principle. obviously nintendo would probably never do that for a mainline zelda title (awakening does a more conventional dream thing) but they still put in the winks and nods of most RPGs, and in some ways it feels like "giving up" on avoiding plot overdetermining gameplay, cos link's fairy is a fucking iPhone
  • i think "immersion" has to do with that sense of flow, wherein you find yourself thinking about the fictional context exclusively rather than feeling in the back of your mind that this is just a fictional production
  • kill living beings
    oh my god this dude

little sidequest to rescue some guy's friends

you get back to him and he gives this little speech about how important friendship is, and about how you have to make an effort to open up to get any reward

and then he's like "but yeah it's an emotional liability, so we're actually splitting up. Not sure what the takeaway is here"

i fucking lost it
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    So my team for the Fiesta is Summoner, Berserker, Berserker, Berserker.

Uh... yeah.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    bah sah kah
  • Well at least Berserker is powerful enough, even if it makes a few bosses really suck.

I don't like thinking about handling this game with no healing class.  Good lord, that's way too many potions.
  • The party will be addicted to them by the endgame.
  • Hey, you're doing better than I am right now.

image White Mageimage Time Mageimage Geomancerimage Chemist

Fuck me.
    what does a Time Mage do?
    Drop rocks on people.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-03 22:41:45
    Until you're halfway through second world, they haste each other and plink away with daggers for 100 HP if you're lucky.

For the second half of the game they drop rocks on people for very mediocre damage.
    On the flip side, it also means you're literally immortal for most the game, so.
    jeez, I figured somebody with Time powers would be practically unstoppable.

video games
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-03 22:49:16
    It's a very Dorian Gray kind of immortal :/

Exdeath is going to be pretty much murder incarnate.  You either summon Golem every two turns or you kill him veeeery quickly.
  • Unfortunately time powers in Final Fantasy only ever means moving slightly faster and then a bunch of random stuff that isn't time powers.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-03 22:52:36
    Haste is a full double, so the action advantage is huge.

Still, everything I have (except geomancer) is stuff that synergizes really well with a solid damage dealer.  If I had a berserker or a ninja or something I'd be unstoppable.

But I kind of don't...have that.
    I wonder if there are any games that actually make good use of time-based powers
  • Braid.  Ratchet & Clank Crack in Time.
    ah
    if you like to drink and get drunk, or smoke and get high, this is the game for you.  it's like mario, in the future
  • I wonder if there are any games that actually make good use of time-based powers

FFTA's version of time mages aren't so bad
    i wonder if achron turned out to be any good
  • Oh Geomancer. How disappointing you were in my last run. :/

I think I had a problem with no decent crowd control in one of my years. ><
    Something tells me I should be lucky with my Fiesta run this year.
  • Hello. I have arrived.
  • Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry!

Um... How about them time powers?
    The new FFXIV raid is amazing. It's a love letter to FFV, with the boss arenas all being based on the Dimension Castle (the outside part with the invisible paths, the prison, the throne room, and the top of the castle.), and the bosses are Jura Aevis (renamed Alte Roite after its first form, since Jura Aevises are already enemies in the game.), Catastrophe, and Halicarnassus.

(I dunno who the final boss is yet since I haven't fought it. It can't be Twintania, since she was the final boss of the game's very first raid tier, and Azulmagia would be out of order. Gilgamesh maybe?)
    Also the story is basically that Omega wants to get stronger, so it just recreated a bunch of fictional characters to fight each other to find the strongest being in the universe, so that it can fight them.

So yeah, it's a combination of a tournament arc and "No, Superman is clearly stronger than Goku!".
  • edited 2017-07-04 16:07:31
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

in a book you just... don't say things like "wow this is right out of a badly written novel!" and for a movie you just keep the boom mic out of frame

i mean that's not true. but there's not such a thing as a movie that would be good except that viewers couldn't help but notice the plot was constructed over a thin set of rules
    If it's a book or a movie, people call it "willing suspension of disbelief" instead of immersion. And they complain about obvious plot contrivances breaking WSOD all the time.

And I guess "a movie that would be good except that viewers couldn't help but notice the plot was constructed over a thin set of rules" would be something like Pacific Rim, which you either hate because it's a big mass of straightforward cliches and broad character archetypes propping up cool action scenes, or you love because it's a big mass of straightforward cliches and broad character archetypes propping up cool action scenes.
  • There might be a distinction that can be drawn between "immersion of doing" (i.e. "flow") where you don't actually feel like you're in the fictional world but you do feel attached to what you're doing as an activity/toy/machine in a sense of feeling like "you've got this" as you're doing some tasks, vs. "immersion of being" where you actually feel like you're navigating/understanding a fictional world through the eyes and ears and actions and experiences of the (player-)characters.
    am I the only one who plays games with the expectation that it will feel like I'm playing a game
  • depends on the game
  • am I the only one who plays games with the expectation that it will feel like I'm playing a game

i usually start with that expectation and then if i stick with the game for long enough it becomes the other one
  • kill living beings
    MetaFour said:

If it's a book or a movie, people call it "willing suspension of disbelief" instead of immersion. And they complain about obvious plot contrivances breaking WSOD all the time.

And I guess "a movie that would be good except that viewers couldn't help but notice the plot was constructed over a thin set of rules" would be something like Pacific Rim, which you either hate because it's a big mass of straightforward cliches and broad character archetypes propping up cool action scenes, or you love because it's a big mass of straightforward cliches and broad character archetypes propping up cool action scenes.
    i know i'm being incoherent, but i don't know, it feels like a stronger thing, since it's me taking actions, not just watching something

am I the only one who plays games with the expectation that it will feel like I'm playing a game

no, but sometimes the game is clearly not intended for this
  • I like games that feel like games.

I mean, I like JRPGs and I don't know how much more it's-just-a-jumble-of-random-game-mechanics you can get than modern JRPGs.

Rhythm games too generally (at least for good ones...) don't really have any pretense of being anything other than extremely a video game.
  • DYRE said:

I like games that feel like games.

I mean, I like JRPGs and I don't know how much more it's-just-a-jumble-of-random-game-mechanics you can get than modern JRPGs.

Rhythm games too generally (at least for good ones...) don't really have any pretense of being anything other than extremely a video game.

I prefer this for shorter games, but i also prefer plot-heavy games for longer games.

also i forgot to remark

The new FFXIV raid is amazing. It's a love letter to FFV, with the boss arenas all being based on the Dimension Castle (the outside part with the invisible paths, the prison, the throne room, and the top of the castle.), and the bosses are Jura Aevis (renamed Alte Roite after its first form, since Jura Aevises are already enemies in the game.), Catastrophe, and Halicarnassus.

(I dunno who the final boss is yet since I haven't fought it. It can't be Twintania, since she was the final boss of the game's very first raid tier, and Azulmagia would be out of order. Gilgamesh maybe?)

This sounds awesome.
    From what I have been able to gather, your opponent is, and I quote, “a great tree born of an agglomeration of evil will, which assumes the form of a dark mage.” All of which I suggest you ignore.
    THE FINAL BOSS IS EXDEATH.
  • From what I have been able to gather, your opponent is, and I quote, “a great tree born of an agglomeration of evil will, which assumes the form of a dark mage.” All of which I suggest you ignore.
    THE FINAL BOSS IS EXDEATH.
    would make sense
  • edited 2017-07-04 23:24:27
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    So fun addendum to that: The Savage versions of the fights (basically the hardcore raid content) are out in two weeks. In the new music files added in this patch, there's one theme that goes unused. It's Neo Exdeath's theme.

(Link for the interested.)
    My sister brought over Breath of the Wild so I got to play that for a little bit.

I climbed to the top of the Temple of Time and jumped to my death; such is the total of my accomplishments.
  • kill living beings
    what, like, right off? before doing any shrines? that's kind of impressive
    Yeah. I am just that good.

Then my brother-in-law took over and we saw the deathlaser squidbots, then he went and killed the fuck out of Ganon.

Also, the credits. Since when does it take literally 5,000 people to make a video game?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Out of curiosity, were you playing on a Wii U or a Switch?
    Wii U
  • kill living beings

Yeah. I am just that good.

Then my brother-in-law took over and we saw the deathlaser squidbots, then he went and killed the fuck out of Ganon.

Also, the credits. Since when does it take literally 5,000 people to make a video game?

like 2005 or something i dunno