• kill living beings
    just think of how many more people worked on doom 4 than doom

don't know? here's the answer: a lot
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    My arc playing System Shock 2

1: Hey this seems cool

2: This bit is kinda bullshit

3: This game seems pretty cool so far!

4: Okay I got to what I assumed was the finale and it's getting kinda bullshit with the backtracking

5: HEY KIDS HERE'S A HUGE AREA WITH NO MAP WHERE YOU NEED TO FIND THE 15 EGGS AND DESTROY THEM WHILE GETTING NO RECHARGE STATIONS NOW COMB THROUGH THESE AUDIO LOGS READ BY THE WORST VOICE ACTOR IN THE GAME TO FIND THE SOLUTION
  • kill living beings
    get a load of this guy, thinking a 90s game wouldn't be enormously irritating in some aspect
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    kids these days
    I am sure there is some long internet post somewhere about how Bioshock is worse and so much ***less nuanced*** than System Shock 2 and its armies of stupid toxic worm spiders

Shamus Young is probably saving a 30 blogpost long series about that for a rainy day
  • You're making me like Morrowind more every time you talk about video games
    Well good, because liking video games is good
  • kill living beings
    it's kind of weird when ye old games get updated like that

i should play halo some time to compare it to marathon
  • I am behind the times

story of my gaming hobby
  • Also, the credits. Since when does it take literally 5,000 people to make a video game?

Have you SEEN the credits for Rayman Origins?
    No.
  • It's almost 20 minutes long.
    Rayman Origins is a game you might actually like, Imi

It's a fun 2d platformer

There are fairies with big boobs

The music is good
    I might check it out, then.

I dunno about 20-minute credits though
  • kill living beings
    well you only have to go through them once, and that's only if you don't suck
  • You can skip them too.
  • kill living beings
    yeah if you hate art!

!!
    fortunately, I suck
  • re: Rayman Origins's credits: you get to destroy them as they scroll, so that alone is worth however much time you choose to spend doing so

my brother and I went through them all because I'm a nerd and I brought him along for the ride
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-07-06 03:54:01
    also, the game is 100% worth anyone's time IMO but I figured that would go without saying considering my reputation

it's been out for forever now so you can get it super cheap too, or just get Legends (it has almost all of Origins's levels included in addition to its own sets)
    I'm all for games that have interactive endings/credit sequences.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-06 05:22:45
    Tossing in support for Rayman Origins/Legends.

I can say with complete conviction that no other game has done choreographed speedruns to 8-bit Black Betty half as well.

Seriously though the treasure chases alone are some of the most brilliantly designed things ever.  Also one of the only games I can think of with good swimming controls.
  • You know how at the end of Mortal Kombat X, Raiden throws Shinnok's severed but still-living head on the floor and says "there are fates worse than death"?

That's what this Four Job Fiesta is like.  Let's get ready to do NO DAMAGE  :D

I'm pretty sure the Atomos fight is going to consist entirely of hasting my time mage and just breaking every rod I have.
  • edited 2017-07-06 23:52:23
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Rayman Origins is probably my favorite platformer of all time
  • Bee said:

You know how at the end of Mortal Kombat X, Raiden throws Shinnok's severed but still-living head on the floor and says "there are fates worse than death"?

That's what this Four Job Fiesta is like.  Let's get ready to do NO DAMAGE  :D

I'm pretty sure the Atomos fight is going to consist entirely of hasting my time mage and just breaking every rod I have.
    The great rod breaking of 2017. Gilgabot can be cruel sometimes. :<
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-07 03:11:43
    On the plus side, geomancer has made for some hilariously short boss fights too.  Apparently the first fight with Gilgamesh is vulnerable to Twister, and Cave In is always fun too.

The Titan fight consisted of Lenna hitting Cave In, and Titan immediately doing his World Shaker death counter.  Everyone died instantly except her, by 11 HP.  If she hadn't lived, I would have had to blow a Goliath Tonic already because you don't get Shell or Float until second world.

I might be able to cheese the gil turtles like this too.
  • Fingers crossed. That sounded like a damn clutch moment. o.o
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-07 05:03:25
    Clutch insofar as the entire fight was one command long XD

T-rex was the same way, except he counters with 2x Minus Strike for several thousand.

Actually I was more scared of the 6x Purobolos.  If you can't AI loop them with summon magic, you basically have to let them explode on you for 1500.  I was able to break a couple rods to reduce that, but if any of them explode you have to let the others do it too.

I mean you CAN silence them I think, but it wears off too fast and the action economy just isn't worth it.  It's better to AOE them down to a couple hundred HP and let them blow.
  • edited 2017-07-07 05:30:58
    Heh, at least it was over quickly.

Ugh. Purobolos was so annoying with my last run. Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dancer is eh.. on crowd control. I gave up on that run after Melusine. So many minutes draining her MP. I was not enjoying myself with that team.

Those six fuckers can be an annoyance.
  • I really don't understand how the playable girls in Persona 5 are supposed to be outcasts. 

Futaba's the only one who I can actually see as a social outcast. Ann's the buxom foreign student who's regarded as insanely attractive both in-universe and out, Makoto's a straight-A student and Haru's absurdly rich. Teenage boys in-universe should be slobbering over these girls (y'know, like teenage boys in real life do), not pointing and laughing at them.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Even aside from the fact that the horniness of teenage boys is a terrible metric for literally anything at all, Ann is a foreigner in a country that's notoriously xenophobic (plus there's the whole slut-shaming thing going on), Makoto is focused on her studies and advancement to the exclusion of anything else, including making friends, and Haru is a hyper-sheltered rich kid being controlled by her absurdly strict father and who is trapped in an abusive relationship.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-09 06:35:35
    Atomos was the most hilariously close fight ever -- it came down to Lenna using her last MP of Comet after breaking all of my rods, and everyone else was dead.  Fuckin' clutch.

It's kind of irritating that they gate Hastega behind the one fight where you most desperately need it.
  • edited 2017-07-09 08:10:41
    I was looking through my Pictures folders for other stuff when I ran across a picture of Ruffles the angel enjoying a bag of potato chips, captioned "But I love fried potatoes".  It's really adorable, and it's a piece of art produced at one point by someone in relation to the game development project Project Phoenix.  So I was wondering...how is it doing now?

If you don't recognize that name, or don't remember, it intends to produce a JRPG with RTS elements, and is intended to be made by a number of famous names in the videogame industry, among them the project's own director Hiroaki Yura, a violinist and a well-known professional musician in the game industry, as well as composer Nobuo Uematsu (who's best known for writing the music to many Final Fantasy games).  It went on Kickstarter in 2013 and made a pretty darn big splash.

It currently has an expected release date of 2018, well behind their original estimated release in "mid-2015", despite raising over $1M, which was some ten times of their funding goal.  Of course, some people complained about delays in the production, declaring it a failure, and wanting their money back, to the point where you had an opinion-piece saying that Kickstarter should actually start helping people force refunds in response to the devs saying that they intend to finish it and that's why they're not giving the money back.

More details about what's going on, straight from the horses' mouths: http://projectphoenix.info/news/ NOTE: includes in-depth details about budget amounts.

[NOTE: The rest of this post is my opinion.  I will be flaming some people.  Foul language will be used.]

Now you could say, "well, the devs promised a game two years ago and they still haven't done it!  And instead their budget ran into problems and now it's going nowhere!  And they won't give us back our money!  Fuck them!  Failure!"

And if you did that I would on one hand say you have some reason to opine that way, and it does kinda make sense.  After all, they didn't deliver on promises either made explicitly or suggested implicitly, at least time-wise.

But on the other hand I would suggest that you are an ignorant, impatient little shit who is used to taking things for granted, who is having a good first lesson on the basics of just how fucking difficult it is to manage and produce a large-scale creative project like this.

Yes there was feature creep from the stretch goals and the backer rewards.  Yes there are delays.  But hell, they're actually being more transparent about this than you would get from a standard "AAA" game company.  All this drama would have been under wraps.

Large-scale games like these take several years of development, and there's a reason they don't announce them early and that reason is because people get hyped and then they get impatient and antsy and whiny when stuff doesn't go their way.

Now to be fair to these fans, it's also partly the industry's fault to have indulged and attempted to ride consumers' hype in order to drive sales and stuff.  So yeah you industry folks are at least partly responsible for spoiling gamers and letting them get to this state in the first place.

For full disclosure: I did not back Project Phoenix.  However, I did back the following projects and these are their statuses:
    * Legend of Iya - still in development.  Two side projects were released to try to make some money to help fund it.
    * Mighty No. 9 - released amidst controversy (which I do not necessarily agree with but it certainly exists) and was not well-received.
    * Ryuutama (translation project for existing tabletop RPG system) - released.
    * La-Mulana 2 - still in development; regular updates from what I've seen.
    * Dysfunctional Systems (episodes 0, 2, and 3) - cancelled.  Refunds were offered; I refused it.
    * Midora - cancelled.  Refunds were offered; I refused it.
    * Under the Dog - a single half-hour episode was released.  I think some people may have been disappointed that there wasn't more, but it gradually did become clear that this was just intended to be a pilot project to try to get funding from other sources.**
    * Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - still in development; regular updates from what I've seen.
    * The Midnight Sanctuary (adding voicework to an existing game) - funding unsuccessful (pledges automatically cancelled).

** Which is actually how a lot of Kickstarter projects turn out to work, it seems.  They're basically using Kickstarter money to produce a pilot version of something and then try to use _that_ as proof of concept (and proof of demand) to bring "angel investors" on board with much more substantial funding.

This sort of track record is...spotty at best.  Even if we leave off the unsuccessful funding of that last project, we have six videogame/entertainment software projects (I am using that latter term just in case someone wants to say "Dysfunctional Systems is a visual novel, not a videogame!"), of which three are still in development, and none of them are on time based on their expected delivery dates (Bloodstained - March 2017; La-Mulana 2 - December 2015; Legend of Iya - November 2014).  Of the other three, one was released amidst controversy (and late), while the other two outright failed.

So if there's anyone who should be angry, at Kickstarter projects failing, it should be me, right?

Except for some reason I'm not.  I'm not saying this to try to moralize about not getting angry or something; I mean I'm getting angry at gamers, and that still counts as getting angry.  Maybe I just have more wishful thinking, or maybe I'm just more patient for whatever strange reason perhaps because I already play games ten and twenty years "late" anyway.  Or maybe because I've worked on lots of research papers for classes and I also am an amateur composer myself and I have experienced how annoying and difficult these things can be, and even when it's something that's totally fiction or otherwish simply engaging my artistic creativity and nothing else, it's not like the production just flows forth in the style of a movie montage and then magically a thing has been made.  Lots of technical issues -- notation of music, wording of text, design of interface elements, and such, really have to be thought through carefully.  And I'm not even worrying about budgets yet!

So yes I know that sometimes the best intentions in the world aren't easily translatable to results.  Just because you want to do something doesn't magically make it done, and sometimes doesn't even make it any easier to do it.  And when stuff doesn't get done right, or doesn't get done on time, or doesn't get done within budget, that doesn't necessarily mean that the people who did it were malicious lazy bums who stole the money and ran and spent it on booze and hookers.  In fact, it generally doesn't mean that, and the more transparency and reporting there is, the more it doesn't mean that because the more you can actually check on this stuff -- despite the fact that checking it will make your hyped-up minds twist themselves further into knots because the details are BORING, UNSEXY, ANAL, and STUFF YOU CAN TAKE FOR GRANTED AND SIMPLY IGNORE BUT SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T.

(Related: If you categorically reject government reports on things while instead only ever believing baseless speculation from opinion-wankers who think everything is a conspiracy, then you're a fucking idiot.)
    At last, I have finally cleared a Fiesta run. ^^
  • edited 2017-07-11 00:04:39
    meow meow meowtherfuckers
    Alduin said:

I really don't understand how the playable girls in Persona 5 are supposed to be outcasts. 

Futaba's the only one who I can actually see as a social outcast. Ann's the buxom foreign student who's regarded as insanely attractive both in-universe and out, Makoto's a straight-A student and Haru's absurdly rich. Teenage boys in-universe should be slobbering over these girls (y'know, like teenage boys in real life do), not pointing and laughing at them.
    Teenage boys DO slobber all over Ann. Everyone slobbers over Ann. It is a pretty big problem. Also, Makoto's regarded as a goody two shoes kissass and Haru's absurdly rich b/c she's the daughter of a pretty controversial figure. 
    did someone say buxom
  • TitleName said:

At last, I have finally cleared a Fiesta run. ^^

Congrats!
  • kill living beings
    Epitome said:

Haru's absurdly rich b/c she's the daughter of a pretty controversial figure. 

i did not need the idea of jrpg ivanka trump
  • Epitome said:

oh gosh what
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

Epitome said:

listen i thought of that while i was typing that sentence out but she's different i swear
    please do not insult haru she does not deserve your scorn
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    jrpg, uh, north west
    Rathalos is an enemy mob in the Monster Hunter x PAD collab, and when it's wounded, it takes flight, making it harder to hit for 999 turns.

Basically, it's the most accurate depiction of a Rathalos ever.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-07-11 18:54:48
    Pretty much.  All it needs is to set up a preventable 50% hit plus massive DoT and then unavoidably stun you until it goes off, and then it would go beyond depiction and basically just be the philosophical root concept of a Rathalos.
    Bee said:

Pretty much.  All it needs is to set up a preventable 50% hit plus massive DoT and then unavoidably stun you until it goes off, and then it would go beyond depiction and basically just be the philosophical root concept of a Rathalos.

It actually does (or as much as it can for a puzzle game.) It randomly changes 4 orbs into poison orbs, and then locks 3 of every type of orb so you can't remove them without matching them.
    We are now selling $50 imitation Sega Genesises at my store. They come with 30 built-in games and look nowhere near as cool as the original. Bleh
  • We are now selling $50 imitation Sega Genesises at my store. They come with 30 built-in games and look nowhere near as cool as the original. Bleh

you work at a game store?
    no, I work at an office supply store where people buy paper and pens and toner.

But for some reason they think that businesspeoples will stop to buy video games too.