General Video Game Thread

Comments

• so I just saw.

funny you should call it an "am2r remake" though

it just seemed like the right thing to call it
  • I am obscenely excited for BG&E 2 even though I haven't gotten to the first game just yet

Like, y'all know I Fuckin Love Rayman but finally seeing what Michel Ancel's been trying to make for fifteen years now has convinced me (of all people) that we don't need another entry in the series just yet
  • Tre said:

I am obscenely excited for BG&E 2 even though I haven't gotten to the first game just yet

oh yeah that's a game I should play too
  • i haven't played BG&E 1 yet...
  • fight. dream. horse. love.

Question: If I loved Persona 5's combat (specifically All-Out Attacks) and social system, but thought Mementos was mostly a chore, should I bother finding and playing the other ones?

saving from the peiji-butomu
  • kill living beings
    all of the non-hylian (human with pointy ears) towns have some difficulty before you can arrive there.
    • zora: constant thunderstorm, so you can't climb the slippery cliffs and you have to watch out for lightning.
    • gerudo: it's hot, so you have to cool down with watermelons and such, and also you have to dress up as a woman.
    • birdpersons: high cliffs. honestly? weak.
    • koroks: have to pass through the harmless but scary maze that is the lost woods.
    • gorons: They're on Death Mountain, an active volcano. Almost all of the enemies have fire abilities and will light you on fire whenever they hit you, which hurts and sometimes you die screaming. There is lava everywhere, shaped into an entire red river system parallel to the ones known by men, and if you sink into it you die screaming. The mountain is patrolled by ancient roving deathmachines which fire lasers that instantly explode you, and you die screaming etc. You have to climb the high cliffs while being attacked by all of these things, and if you run out of juice and fall etc. Any wooden accoutrements you're fool enough to bring spontaneously turn to ash in your hands as soon as you let them touch the burning air. The thermometer merely reads as "maximum". Your body fills with this ambient hell plasma, a shadow of the breath of life, until you begin to ignite from the inside, asphyxiating as your lungs burn with the rest of you. Your body and your soul are both a product of the lowlands, Hylian, and you can no more exist here outside your Goddess's precious cradle than you could walk on the surface of the sun. You and your kind can walk the grass while we swim through the stone above and beneath you. For your folly you will burn inside and out.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    groovy
  • kill living beings
    Oh yeah and it rains lava rocks as well. Just like fuckin ocarina of time
    Death Mountain has had falling rocks since the original Zelda.

always annoying
  • > Death Mountain

do! somedo! somedo, so!  domesote, lu, filuso!
    do! somedo! somedo, so!  sodomeso, filuso me ti - medo!

[lttp death mountain theme]
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's dangerous to go alone. Take this! *hands you cyanide capsules*
  • kill living beings
    i didn't actually die on my way to the city, but that's because i put off going for a long time, and am now beastly enough to withstand the occasional autoignition
  • kill living beings
    it was still really distressing to forget to take the anti-death drugs, and just burst into flame while walking as "The very air around you is burning" shows up in the HUD
  • http://fourjobfiesta.com/

We're in business!

White mage again.  It sucks at first, but the late game payoff in dedicated healing is awesome.
  • kill living beings
    hudson got married, so the game's over now. onto post game content like the evil dragon guy
  • kill living beings
    concerning ARMS
    this is all the plot a game needs.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Bee said:

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

We're in business!

White mage again.  It sucks at first, but the late game payoff in dedicated healing is awesome.
    First class is SMN, which is gonna be excruciating until I hit Walse.
  • What run are you doing that assigned you Summoner for wind?  :P
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Pure Chaos Berserker Risk.
  • Oh Christ.  That sounds like the worst thing ever.

concerning ARMS
    what even is this

and i presume these arms aren't wild
  • It's a boxing game.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-21 06:11:06
    Garula down.  Strategy: COME AT ME BRO.

Water job is Time Mage.  This is another one that's going to pay off awesomely by the end, but sucks early on because it takes forever to get Comet.  Right now I literally have no offense except rods.
  • Bee said:

It's a boxing game.

~spring-loaded~ boxing game. There is a black girl with twintails that are also boxing gloves, and there are a bunch of other characters who don't have immediate sex appeal. I think one's a mummy.
  • Okay, looking it up.

There's Twelve from Street Fighter, Literally Just Karin From Street Fighter, Ryu Hayabusa, Tron Bonne, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Jet Set Radio, Little Mac, Chun-Li with a Bowl of Noodles on her Head, A Mummy who's also Andre the Giant, and the sexy black girl.

Huh, that's ten characters. 
  • edited 2017-06-21 10:38:30
    I never expected to hear about Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt again in my life without my prompting it
  • Bee said:

Garula down.  Strategy: COME AT ME BRO.

Water job is Time Mage.  This is another one that's going to pay off awesomely by the end, but sucks early on because it takes forever to get Comet.  Right now I literally have no offense except rods.
    Aw lucky. I just got Berserker. Again. Only one year did I NOT get Berserker from the Water Crystal.
  • kill living beings
    Hey other weird thing about playing a console game after several years of not

They lag now?? Like if i put enough fire on screen, and i like burning things, it can halt the game briefly

I know that probably happened in old systems too but pauses outside of load screens are new to me
    ...lag in console games is practically a given, or at least was back in my day when we only had 16 bits and walked uphill to fight Bowser both ways.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-21 22:50:27
    Goldeneye was borderline unplayable when explosions started happening.

Apparently the rereleases of the Mega Man NES games actually went out of their way to emulate the "authentic" slowdown and sprite flicker.

^^^ I got Berserker last time.  White Mage + Berserker is a good core for the overwhelming majority of the game.  This time, I'm pretty stoked about late-game bosses, but honestly a little scared about the Karnak Escape and Living Flame, given I have no functional offense yet.  Also I'm playing on the Steam version, and they seem to have noticeably upticked the damage output of several bosses like Living Flame and Golbez (either of whom can freely oneshot people), so being able to end the fight quickly is critical.
  • ...there's a Golbez in FFV?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-22 00:31:51
    Blah Exdeath

Friggen early FF villains are pretty much all the same.  Darkness Emperor, Darkness Cloud, Darkness Whatever The Fuck Golbez Is, Darkness Tree.  Kefka was the first memorable one and most of them went downhill after that.  Their motives are uniformly either "DARKNESS DARKNESS DARKNESS" or "I'm artificially conceived thus everything suuuuucks".

Honestly Record Keeper is doing a better job of distinguishing the FF villains than the original games.
  • edited 2017-06-22 01:14:15
    I don't entirely agree with you there.

Meanwhile did get Beastmaster from Fire Crystal. I am kind of hoping I get a decent healing job or I'm gonna abuse the ring stuff.
  • edited 2017-06-22 13:41:31
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The final boss of the new FFXIV expansion is Shinryu, and it is hype as all hell. It's by far the most difficult mandatory fight in the game, and it's basically a test of everything you've learned up to this point, using mechanics (and twists on) from every single storyline boss, plus a bunch of new ones. Also the music is absolutely fantastic. It genuinely beats the Knights of the Round fight from Heavensward for me. Also he opens the fight with Tidal Wave.

(This is both a music video and battle video, so spoilers.)
  • kill living beings
    nintendo's "snes classic" thing is going to include a star fox 2 release

wack
  • nintendo's "snes classic" thing is going to include a star fox 2 release

wack
    wait what

WHAT
    interesting
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-06-27 07:32:42
    Fire Crystal down.  Job is...Geomancer.  FML.

For those keeping track, my entire party so far is defensive casters (or now, active liability) and I don't get a single offense spell until Galuf's world.  And unless I luck out and get Dragoon for Earth, I won't be able to do Twin Towers for Holy either.

I think I'm gonna be breaking a LOT of rods this run...
  • Playing FFVII years after the fact, I wonder how much of its reputation hinges on its ability to bang out great setpiece after great setpiece constantly. The combat is functional, the exploration is mediocre, but all the production design is phenomenal.
  • edited 2017-06-27 09:41:28
    Also the overall aesthetic is great but the details are really messy. I like the blocky overworld sprites in theory but they kind of look like a mess in practice. You can't read any of them very well in silhouette. 

This unreadability problem stretches back to VI, too, I think. VI had a lot of weird, clunky spritework.
  • Honestly I'm torn about FF7.  It pushed the tools of the time to places we had no idea they could even go, and that made things so much better for the PS1 in general.  But for its own sake it really needed to happen one system later.
  • kill living beings
    does ff7 actually have sprites (for main gameplay)? i thought the overworld models were 3d too.
  • They are, I just called them sprites because I was wrong.
  • edited 2017-06-27 18:01:51
    Anyway speaking of FF7 I hate playing it with an analog stick. Are there any gamepads with just a D-Pad or a way to more easily remap controls?
  • kill living beings
    the first playstation controllers didn't have sticks... man, i don't even know if that works with ff7 and stuff. guess it must
  • I'm playing on PC.
  • edited 2017-06-27 18:06:54
    Ah... that sounds like an old PC game sort of issue, yeah.

It might be that you just have to use JoyToKey or similar (like, to map the d-pad to the arrow keys or whatever FF7 uses for keyboard controls by default). It should be fairly easy to set up the way you want.
  • FFVII PC was definitely playable on keyboard alone so presumably you can just use a thing to map gamepad buttons directly to keys.