A Dungeons & Dragons game?

123457»

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Even the most well-intentioned GMPCs have been mediocre at best, from my experience.
  • edited 2012-07-12 23:42:41
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

gmpcs are never good things. never ever never.

I wouldn't say that. It's just that it's much more difficult to make them work smoothly in a campaign. Trying to deal with that in your first go-round as a DM probably isn't the best idea, even if they were to just stick with a support role. You've already got a lot on your plate with a six-person party anyway.

I was joking about the polymorph thing, by the way.
  • edited 2012-07-12 23:43:20
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

gandalf was a gmpc.

do you want gandalf to herd us around and steal all the xp?

I DON'T THINK SO

vote no to gandalf 2012

paid for by the spaceys against gandalf association

• Probably.

This is still a problem, though.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    psh, who needs spellcasters anyways. bards can do what they do easy-peasy.
    So it looks like Arcane Tricksters can do really fun stuff with Sneak Attacks on Touch spells.

=D <---This is my happy face.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    what can spellcasters do anyways
    Break the game into tiny little pieces
    fuck that, i can break the game by talking to people
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    INVENTING THINGS FOR WIZARDLY PURPOSES
  • We have a bard and a druid and a cleric, right?

We should be fine.
  • *shrug*

If you guys say so.

I'll still give Cynicalclock til Friday though. If any of you want to PM her, go ahead. I already did but she didn't get back to me.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm strongly considering it, but I'm wondering if that would be too intrusive. Especially since you've already done so.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

gmpcs are never good things. never ever never.

I wouldn't say that. It's just that it's much more difficult to make them work smoothly in a campaign. Trying to deal with that in your first go-round as a DM probably isn't the best idea, even if they were to just stick with a support role. You've already got a lot on your plate with a six-person party anyway.

This.

DMPCs can work pretty well. Obviously, if it's the GMs marry-sue or some-such, there's a problem, but I never seen this (though,I have no doubt it happens). But they can be really helpful to fill in support roles and and help move the story along.

That being said, it's usually better for the PCs to handle all the roles if at all possible.

Also, there's no rule saying you HAVE to have a party composed of certain elements. It helps, as there are some balancing issues, but it's not the end of the world to start things without a dedicated spell-caster. 
    Wow.

We kinda forgot about this for some time, haven't we?
  • Ah.

Unfortunately, since I am going to have a job soon I'm not sure I'm going to have the time I thought I was when I started this thread.

uhh, if you guys still want to do it that's fine. I just can't be the GM. Unfortunately. :/

• Sorry about my little vacation, by which I mean, doing things in meaty-space. >_>

I didn't mean to absolutely abandon you all with the thought that love would sustain you.
    ^No problem. It's always good to take care of real life obligations first.

^^As we can see here. It's a shame you won't be able to GM for us, but it's better that you get this sorted out. Good luck with your new job!

Though that leaves the question of who would be the new GM. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to pull this off. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
    Though I would probably have the time to play, I most certainly would not have the time to do the planning that is required for GMing a game.
  • edited 2012-07-18 01:13:40
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ^ Like that's never been done in a game, right?

*coughEarthboundcough*
  • edited 2012-07-19 21:52:37
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-07-20 01:59:12
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The endgame takes place 2000 years in the past, if I recall correctly. It satisfies the robot part, though.
  • Okay, yeah, it doesn't quite fit the "future" part.  But the "turning everyone into robots that somehow act exactly like the humans they're supposed to represent" part, yes.