A Dungeons & Dragons game?

Comments

• Make sure they're 3.5e, anything else is incompatible with this game.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I've never played DnD but I own one of the largest known collections of Ravenloft shit. Don't ask how that happened

anyway I've always thought original DnD was best (minus the alignment, which should be god and evil, not lawful or chaotic.) Especially the classes. Kept it really simple.  Nowadays people are busy setting up their half-elf half-dragon antipaladin bladesinger prestige classed dark knight of the Temple of Dave
  • I'm not big on "simple".

I actually had some stuff for 1e long ago, and I recall finding it cripplingly boring.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I might look through and see if I wanna find a different kind of rogue-y class. We'll see.

But it'll be the same kind of "find traps shoot bows sneak attack dagger stabs" kind of character.
  • There's a couple that fit that general mode, but I don't know them offhand cuz I don't really do much with rogues.
    Nor do I!

My fave class is definitely bard, but rogues are fun too! I'll have to decide whether I wanna be stabby stabby or shooty shooty though.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Apparently Lizardfolk is playable with a +1 level adjustment. If everyone is level 1, you can just give him them the lizardfolk level, or do something like drop the hit points and base saving throw bonus in favor of the class 

Actually, the natural armor bonus is pretty unbalancing... You'd probably have to reduce that as well...
  • Justice42 said:

Apparently Lizardfolk is playable with a +1 level adjustment. If everyone is level 1, you can just give him them the lizardfolk level, or do something like drop the hit points and base saving throw bonus in favor of the class 

Vanilla lizardfolk aren't intended for PC use.

You can use them (and really, most sapient monsters) by giving "racial class" levels, but I'm new to this man, don't make me do that kind of thing.

Also standard lizardfolk are really bulky. Poison Dusk are the thin small ones.

So, because I love messing with characters and won't let this go. Some Lizardfolk info is in the "Savage Species" D&D.

Just the base creature is equal to a level 3 character. One of those levels is just from the natural armor bonus.
  • edited 2012-07-06 17:39:27
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Vanilla lizardfolk aren't intended for PC use.

You can use them (and really, most sapient monsters) by giving "racial class" levels, but I'm new to this man, don't make me do that kind of thing.

Also standard lizardfolk are really bulky. Poison Dusk are the thin small ones.

Savage Species would help, but I don't think it breaks down Lizardfolk level by level. 

But it's not like there are tons of creatures to choose from, anyhow. 
  • Savage Species is one of like four books that I don't have the .pdfs readily available for me to get.

Besides like I said, standard Lizardfolk are bulky and more suited to Barbarian classes than anything.

• edited 2012-07-06 17:53:25
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    There's a character sheet generator for 3.5 that gives you the option to make monsters from quite a few different sourcebooks into playable races, including lizardfolk. It doesn't seem to have Poison Dusk, though.

• That might be what they mean by "Lizardfolk". Cuz the Poison Dusk tribe explicitly has a "Poison Dusk as characters" box next to their entry.

y'know you can talk about mystics and sorcery all you like, what I see here is "floating glowy alphabet people"

• edited 2012-07-06 18:11:08
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    D&D Wizards seem to like having glowy alphabets around them. That and bizarre, nonsensical creatures.

Also:

I promissssssse to not talk like thisssssssss.

Is it bad that that particular speaking habit is part of the reason I started finding talking reptiles appealing way back when? Granted, my current mental inage of a generic snake/snakefolk either doesn't do that or only does it when they're scared or angry.
  • No that's a race.

They're a living alphabet. Not joking.

• edited 2012-07-06 18:10:18
    Wait, what? So they're basically D&D Unown?

That is unexpected, to say the least.
  • I like to imagine that, as a method of attack, they just grab the glyphs floating near their heads and throw them at people, then they like, explode or something.
  • I would recommend the character sheet creator Gator linked to, I managed to bang out a (not terribly well-thought-out) character in about ten minutes.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

I did that one a while ago, but I lost my character sheet.

TIME TO TRY AGAIN

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Just so you know, your sheet comes up in a separate window that you can't really save. I'd recommend copy-pasting the text into a Word file (or whatever the equivalent is on the OS you're running).
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Are we going to be spending a lot of time in the wilderness?

so, uh

why is this saying i have 7 hit points

Probably because level 1 characters aren't exactly hitpoint-tastic.

Wizards can be killed by a stiff breeze.
  • [quote]^^ You were thinking you'd get away with just hitting things with a [class appropriate weapon] a lot, weren't you?[/quote]

Not just hitting things, but also undoing locks, undoing traps, searching for hidden doors, scouting ahead, mapping out dungeons, and such.

Just not much talking.  A character who prefers to stay out of the spotlight.

Oh, and occasionally scanning city streets for loose change and other interesting shit.

I always feel that I don't really get a good enough sense of the fantasy world to really role-play it correctly, so I

[quote]I like to imagine that, as a method of attack, they just grab the glyphs floating near their heads and throw them at people, then they like, explode or something. [/quote]

A werewolf in a Castlevania game did that.  Except that the numbers were objects from a huge clock face.
    I tend to enjoy being the "face" of the party. I like talking.

Wait, shit, do Rogues use charisma and stuff? I forget.

I had a game where we fought Goblins on our first adventure. We routinely joked with our Sorcerer that we should tie a goblin to his back and double his hit-points.

This is why DMs would sometime sick cats on Wizards. Cats do like... 1D6 - 4 damage, and are like, a quarter of a challenge rating, but every hit has to do at least 1 damage in some of the editions, so like...four house cats would massacre a level 1 wizard.

I tend to enjoy being the "face" of the party. I like talking.

Wait, shit, do Rogues use charisma and stuff? I forget.
    They can. It depends on their focus. Some rogues are more shadowy and stealy, some charm their way to getting what the want or close enough , at least.
    Well, hm.

The reason why I like being a bard is that high Charisma is required for a buncha class stuff, so I can be a good talker while killing things (or helping other killing things by singing off-key pop songs).

I would probably like sorcerer as well.
  • edited 2012-07-06 19:40:42
    I like to think of it this way: a rogue is just as likely* to be a spy or con artist as they are to be a thief or assassin. Thieves might not rely on charisma as much, but spies definitely would.

*maybe not exactly, but you get the point
  • You can be whatever, Bunny. Just pick somethin'

:p

HEY GLENN NICE QUOTEBLOCKS

Yeah, I think I'll stick with rogue. I'll look up build stuffs so I can maybe have a halfway decent Charisma build.
  • Sure sure.

Just don't minmax.

I swear if any of you minmax I will make life miserable for all of you.

There will just be half-dragon ogres and shit everywhere.

Dude, if I wanted to minmax, I'd play a class that can break the game.

aka all spellcasting classes ever
  • But breaking things is what spellcasters do.

Also magic items will probably turn up pretty often both for you and your enemies, so I imagine you'll all be slinging at least a few spells.

• edited 2012-07-06 19:54:54
    If it helps any, I think I'm probably not going to turn Zuo into "CoDzilla." Especially if I'm going for Loremaster.
    I think I'll look for a decent rogueish prestige class to play around with.

Anybody have any suggestions?
  • CoD?

...you guys really should know by now that acronyms are a feature of language that just totally confound me.

• I think I'll look for a decent rogueish prestige class to play around with.

Anybody have any suggestions?
    Perhaps check Complete Scoundrel? I think that's the rogue sourcebook.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    CoD = Cleric or Druid

It's one of the relatively few D&D fan terms I'm familiar with. Basically, if you minmax enough, you can make divine spellcasters the most overpowered characters ever.
    CoDzilla is a derogatory term for the fact that Druids and Clerics are basically the most broken classes in the entire game.

4th panel, more or less.

Strength  11

Dexterity  14

Constitution 12 

Intelligence  17

Wisdom 13

Charisma 18

best roll. 

You know, as a bard, you probably don't need that much intelligence.

Some more points in Strength or Dex would make you a pretty good fighter as well.
  • edited 2012-07-06 20:14:12
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

but i get more skill points when i level up with a high intelligence

or is this some other RPG i'm thinking of 

Strength  11
    Dexterity  17

Constitution 12 

Intelligence  14

Wisdom 13

Charisma 18
    there we go. :3
  • edited 2012-07-06 20:15:54
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    No, you're right, but you honestly don't need that many skill points.

I mean, if I remember correctly, you could max a whole bunch of class skills with just 14 intelligence.

Ahh, now you can shoot things easily! Shooty shooty!
  • edited 2012-07-06 20:39:53
    Well, since we've started rolling our abilities...

I did all this with a little board game die I keep on what used to be my computer desk. Yes, I rolled it 24 times. I'm weird.

STR: 11 + 1 = 12
    DEX: 10
    CON: 13 + 1 = 14
    INT: 16 - 1 = 15
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 11

Acceptable? Y/N

I would be more than okay with dropping DEX down to 8 and STR down to 10 if this is too high.
  • If you rolled that there's really not such a thing as 'too high' that's just what you got.

Anyhow, I'm alright with you guys rolling your attributes just make sure you write 'em down. I'll need a copy of your character sheets at some point.