A Dungeons & Dragons game?

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    We're doing 4d6, get rid of one for rolling, right?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

If you rolled that there's really not such a thing as 'too high' that's just what you got.

in that case i got an 18 in everything

• Yay, someone's taking the role of rogue, and I am being absolved of guilt of being too busy to play.

Anyway, yeah, I usually play a low-charisma rogue.

First time I played I tried to play a rogue who worked the diplomacy angle.  I realized I suck at RPing from then on.  Now, instead, I play the rogue who tries to avoid contact with people.
    If you want, I could be the diplomacy rogue and you could be the stealthy rogue.

We'd be quite the team, you and I!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm working out my starting equipment, and I've set a budget of 115 gp for myself (rounded up from the cost of the "Jozan" starter kit in the Players' Handbook). Should I invest in a crossbow for a ranged attack even though DEX is my dump stat, or would that money be put to better use on other things?

Also, I just figured out that I got my racial bonuses mixed up. As such, my CON should be 13 and my CHA should be 10. Sorries!
  • We still need a spellcaster. Neither daltar nor Cynicalclock have given me their character sheets.

^you're the cleric aren't you? I wouldn't worry about ranged attacks.

While statting my character, I'm also looking around for prestige classes I might be able to change in to.

Invisible Blade and Thief-Acrobat look like fun.
  • Prestige classes are pretty boss. They let me add some variety to assorted NPCs, too.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    All right! My character sheet is nice and prepared.

Anything else I need to put on it?
  • nothing wrong, but I do need a few points of clarification.

*You gave him Orc as a language, you know he doesn't get that by default right? I'm assuming you picked it.

*I have no idea how the Jump skill works, so you'll want to check it again just to make sure it's right (also someone remind me to look that up)

*What's the deal with this?: 

First-level Cleric spells: 2 (1+1) per day +1 from a domain: Detect Secret Doors or Erase

Are those two spells on your list? Cuz if they are they should be below it, but you don't have any zeroth-level spells selected.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

edit: oh those are your extra domain spells aren't they

nevermind, I'm a derp

*Yes, I picked it. I used Oni as the default language. I don't really have a reason for picking Orc other than it might come in handy somewhere along the line.

*You're talking about the -6 penalty, right? According to the Player's Handbook, that is what's supposed to happen for characters whose speed is 20 ft. (I'm guessing this is because of the scale mail.) It's a -6 penalty for every 10 ft. below 30 and a +4 bonus for every 10 ft. above 30. Hope that was helpful!
  • *Yes, I picked it. I used Oni as the default language. I don't really have a reason for picking Orc other than it might come in handy somewhere along the line.

I'm not sure it will. "Orc" in this setting is a dialect of Oni.

You might want to pick something different, tbh.

Sounds like a plan. I'm tempted to pick Celestial, though if that's not allowed, then Gnoll is okay.
  • Celestial is fine. Dude's a cleric after all.

(also there are few Gnoll in the desert. They are furry animals after all)

Celestial it is, then. The Dropbox file has been updated.

(though Gnoll might not be a bad one to have when/if I increase my intelligence later on)
  • oh I just changed my copy.

The only reason I'd discourage Gnoll is because they--as furry creatures--are not found too often in the desert.

Still depending on how long this campaign goes, we may venture elsewhere, and it may not matter.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Eh, every time I try to copy and paste into Word, it messes up and is all unformatted and whatever. Gonna try again later.
  • Wait, remind me how this game will be played?  Play by post or by scheduled meetings?
  • Play by post because sessions would go horribly.
  • Okay, that would be more workable for me.
  • So, it appears that Lumine has gone around and hand-deleted all of his posts, in addition to blanking his avatar.

So I guess we're short a druid, not that we "need" a druid per se, but still.

• Wait, what happened to Lumine, and why did he do that?
    I don't know. He did say he wasn't feeling too well right about the time he stopped posting.

I'm worried about him, especially at this point. I hope he's okay.
  • Wait, what happened to Lumine, and why did he do that?

I don't know.

I'm concerned but there's really very little I can do. At this point I'm assuming his character is nixed from the game unless he shows up to prove me wrong. I just hope he's alright.

Anyway Glenn, you can be whatever you like if you'd like to play. Also, can someone who knows Cynicalclock better than I contact her and remind her that I still need her infosheet if she's still playing?

• I hope everything's all right with Lumine, too.

I'll think up a character later.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-07-07 21:11:25
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Oh good, Lumine came back while I was out.

THERE MUST BE A CONNECTION.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I KNEW IT
  • edited 2012-07-08 23:19:49
    When do we expect this game to start?  So I know how much time I have to make a character.

Also, do we have a cleric with healing abilities, or do we really need that druid?
  • At this point? I'm still waiting on character info from you and Cynicalclock.

I'd like to at least move on to statting this week. But I dunno, that's on you guys.

Lumine's come back, so we probably won't need an extra druid.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Is it too late to change my guy's backstory?

I think it makes more sense if he was a merchant, rather than a farmer.
  • Lumine's come back, so we probably won't need an extra druid.

Druid's are kind of optional on the whole. The traditional lineup is Warrior, Rogue, Spellcaster, Cleric. We still lack a spellcaster until Cynicalclock gives me her whatsit.

Fouria G said:

Is it too late to change my guy's backstory?

I think it makes more sense if he was a merchant, rather than a farmer.

Works for me.

Bards are spellcasters.

crappy spellcasters, but spellcasters nonetheless 

• A dedicated spellcaster.

Y'know

like a wizard or a sorcerer.

• edited 2012-07-08 23:55:46
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I personally consider the bard an "expert" class, like a rogue or a ranger.

On that note, it might be in our best interest if somewhere down the line, those of us who play similar roles in the party (like me and Lumine or Bunny and Spacey) worked out how to differentiate ourselves from each other. Picking different prestige classes could help a lot with that, among other things.
  • That's true.

Buut let's not worry about that yet.

That shouldn't be too hard.

Rogues can be rather diverse.
  • Bun, I recall you wanting to sort of be the adventuring party's "face". Am I remembering that correctly?
  • Oh, Lumine was playing that druid.  Never mind my question then.

Though druids can sub for healing and some control magic.
  • Oh I didn't even see that, sorry.

Yeah we have both a Cleric and a Druid.

• edited 2012-07-09 10:08:28
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Unless Spacey (with his naturally high charisma) wants to do all the talking.

Otherwise, I would enjoy attempting to be the face.

Huh, you know what? A bunch of sites suggest multiclassing in sorcerer if you're going to try being a Charisma rogue.

This idea greatly amuses me.
  • I have multiclassed between rogue and wizard before, aiming to become arcane trickster, but that game ended before we got that far.
  • So, SL, how should I create a character?  Is it "anything within reason"?

Also, are there any cities or towns around, where a rogue might hail from?

How realistic do I have to get?  For example, do I need to account for how my character makes a living or gets by day to day?
  • So, SL, how should I create a character?  Is it "anything within reason"?

More or less.

Also, are there any cities or towns around, where a rogue might hail from?

Nearby? No, but a rogue might hail from any number of large towns. Particularly Dorado where he would've either been a part of or at odds with the Gravenhage Gang, the city's notorious for thieves. He could've fled or some such.

How realistic do I have to get?  For example, do I need to account for how my character makes a living or gets by day to day?

No, not really. I'm assuming most PCs are new to the town with a couple exceptions.