A Dungeons & Dragons game?

Comments

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    it will be amazing
  • Lumine, do you actually want to play this game or are you being silly right now?
  • > role-playing

Ohh cripes, I suck at this.
  • erm. It's like a role-playing game, though.

how...?

Well I guess you could be the quiet one or something....

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ You were thinking you'd get away with just hitting things with a [class appropriate weapon] a lot, weren't you?

(I know I kinda was >_>)
  • Hey, look on the bright side!

At least I won't make you deal with this.

The shopkeeper turns toward you, a silly grin on his face. “Here’s
    your change. Here’s your change!” he says, his voice rising to a
    shout. Then, in a spout of blood, his face detaches from his skull and
    leaps toward you, propelled by a centipedelike body with foot-long
    spines. “Here’s . . . your . . . change!” shouts the centipede with the
    shopkeeper’s face as it scuttles your way.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    What the...

Is that in the monster manual?
  • edited 2012-07-04 10:02:20
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ...okay.

Squid we need to speak about things and such, I will send you a message.

• hey guys, I found stats for Ozbourne.

Sanguineous Drinker CR 5
  • edited 2012-07-04 17:02:35
  • Alright, I...I suppose that works.

Still not sure if "Bradley" really fits as a name here, but whatever.

• oh and if he's a cleric you'll need to pick his deity and domains.

Try not to overlap with Gator's Oni cleric.

edit: Actually given the thing about befriending the tyrannosaur and the healing it, are you sure you'd rather him not be a druid?

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Lumine: A druid would be pretty fitting. Your animal companion could even be one of the escaped gladiatorial beasts. Of course, it's still your decision; I'm just offering a friendly suggestion.

Anyhow, I've noticed we have six party members so far, which may turn into seven. It might be a good idea to make the combat sections a bit more challenging than they would be for a normal four or five-person party.

I hope I didn't sound too pushy there. Sorry if I did.
  • edited 2012-07-04 17:24:21
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well this campaign will take place in the desert at least initially.

Take a look at animal companion lists for a first level druid and pick something you think would work well in the desert (notably that could in fact, be a dinosaur).

Anyhow, I've noticed we have six party members so far, which may turn into seven. It might be a good idea to make the combat sections a bit more challenging than they would be for a normal four or five-person party.

I'm only counting people who've submitted a form so far. Giving us....four, I think? You, Bobby, Spacey, and Squid. So yes, four.

Currently I'm worried about how to get you guys to your first quest without railroading you.

• apparently the first level animal companion list is thus:

badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. 

I could've sworn there were more, but I suppose not.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    START IT IN A BAR! ALL THE BEST QUESTS START IN A BAR.

Our just start with each person individually and have them serendipitously run into each other.

You can also make them all a "chosen" group or something, I usually only reserve that for specific campaigns where such a thing is actually important to the plot.

You can always have someone hire adventures for a quest or extra muscle on a caravan or some-such. 
  • They're already in a bar.

I'm trying to figure out how to get them from the bar to the mumblemumblemumble.

• I seriously could've sworn that there was a dinosaur you could pick as a first level animal companion.
  • aha! I was right.

It's called a swindlespitter.

it's basically a tiny velociraptor that is somehow a herbivore but it can also spit poison.

• edited 2012-07-04 17:52:35
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I assume it's the one in the bottom-right corner here?

Speaking of which, it seems weird that Deinonychus can't be obtained until 7th level. I mean, I could understand 4th level, but why 7th? It doesn't seem any bigger or more aggressive than the dire animals in the 4th level category.
  • Animal Companions at the higher levels are supposed to be lower level than the druids handling them.

*shrug*

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

If a wizard gets high enough level, they can have a carbuncle as a familiar!

Course, the 3.5 version is a tad different.

"The carbuncle is a rare, clumsy creature that appears as a mixture of pig, aardvark, and armadillo. Set in its head is a large shining ruby, which varies in value and is actually part of the animal. A carbuncle will often approach a party of adventurers and use its telepathy to communicate the value of its ruby to them. Obtaining this ruby is not a simple task, however, as the the gem turns to worthless dust if the creature dies. To further complicate matters, carbuncles can will themselves to die and have no fear or concept of death. It takes careful coaxing by a wizard or character of strong personality to get the carbuncle to give up its gem willingly (see below). It is likely that the first carbuncles were made by wizards for wizardly purposes."

That about aptly sums up a good 50% of the shit that goes on in the D&D worlds.
  • "for wizardly purposes" is the new "for science!"
  • 'k.

So I'm trying to stat some NPCs and it occurs to me that I have totally forgotten how statting works.

This may be a problem, so I'm going to look it up and hope I can re-figure it out.

• Also, due to this:

Justice42 said:

The first NPC you will ever encounter is now an eyepatch-wearing dwarf innkeeper/bartender based off of Justice.

You're welcome.

• I am having so much fun with this you guys don't even know.

It's ridiculous but it's so much fun.

And I don't even mean the dwarf.

• So I am kind of playing fast and loose with traditional race stereotypes in D&D.

So if you like see a dwarf working as a nanny you know why.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Also, due to this:

Justice42 said:

The first NPC you will ever encounter is now an eyepatch-wearing dwarf innkeeper/bartender based off of Justice.

You're welcome.

This is going to be a fantastic campaign, I can already tell.
  • a tiefling, two humans and an oni walk into a bar....

• I would totally copy the description I wrote of this dwarf (whose name is Jusk) here from Google Docs, but you can't copy things from Google Docs because ahahahahaha what's "convenience"?
  • okay apparently you can if you try to insert a link, go to edit the plaintext leading to the link, and then copy from there. 

...fuck Google. Anyway, in other news:

• Name:Jusk Mulamar
    • Race: Desert Dwarf
    • Class: Innkeeper (former Fighter)
    • Alignment: Chaotic Good
    • Notes: Jusk has the tanned skin and black hair common to desert dwarves, he wears and eyepatch and generall dresses unassumingly. He does not actually brew the beer he serves, but he allows rumors of such to circulate because frankly stopping them is more trouble than it’s worth. He is fond of recounting the story of how he lost his eye (to a Blue Dragon, if you’re really that curious) to any who’ll listen. He’s been in Andar since the beginning, the Brass Tracks being the first inn in the entire city.
  • still waiting on character sheets from Cynicalclock and Glenn, provided y'all are still playing.

Also on daltar, but I can't do anything about that here.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Hey, uh, if I join in on this, do you mind if I kind of...mix my backstory in with yours?

Because I was thinking something like...

"A relatively good natured thief with a penchant for kleptomania. One day he decided to steal from the wrong innkeeper, and since then has become a rogue for hire for any adventuring parties he comes across. Not entirely by his own will, of course..."

Or, I dunno, something like that.
  • edited 2012-07-06 16:11:49
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Excellent. I like characters that have somewhat connecting backstories.

Well...uh...

I guess

Name: Arzaac Rorrin
    Age: Probably early 20s. Living a life of thievery does not leave much time for birthday remembering.
    Race: *deciding*
    Class: Rogue
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Backstory: A relatively good natured thief with a penchant for kleptomania. One day he decided to steal from the wrong innkeeper, and since then has become a rogue for hire for any adventuring parties he comes across. Not entirely by his own will, of course...
  • So is the implication here that he works for Jusk?
    More or less.

The way I was thinking of it is there was a botched stealing attempt that resulted in a massive loss for Jusk/destruction of a priceless heirloom, and Arzaac is working for him because (A) he feels a little guilty and (B) he likes his organs inside his body where they belong.
  • ...Jusk is based off of Justice, not Tongpu, but ok.

I could see it being instituted as a legal punishment within the context of Andar's legal system, indentured servitude if you will.

I need to rethink a bit of the opening moment now though.

as for race BE A LIZARDMAN DO IT

Well, yeah, I just did something generic. It could just be something like "I won't tell the guards if you help me out a little, okay?"

And lizardman it is.

I promissssssse to not talk like thisssssssss.
  • edited 2012-07-06 17:03:50
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

>Implying a drunken drawf based on me would be opposed to eviscerating a thief. :P

^Fuck yes. Free labor!
  • also I gave Jusk an eyepatch cuz why not.

Well, yeah, I just did something generic. It could just be something like "I won't tell the guards if you help me out a little, okay?"

And lizardman it is.

I promissssssse to not talk like thisssssssss.

Lizardman was not a serious suggestion, those aren't a playable race, actually. ^_^;

Unless you're going for Poison Dusk (Monster Manual III)

Awww, damn, you got me all excited too.

Any other reptilian races?
  • Half-Dragons, Dracotaurs, uh...there's more I'm sure. I don't think you can play as Yuan-Ti, weirdly.

oh, Kobolds.

hm. 

But yeah you could play a lizardman if it's Poison Dusk. The .pdfs of the assorted Monster Manuals are pretty easy to find and the info's online.

I got a whole bunch of DnD books on my computer from someone who plays a bunch of DnD, I'll go take a look through those.