A Dungeons & Dragons game?

Comments

• Well I'll wait for others to speak first, since they're still making characters.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    ?
  • Lumine said:

NO ONE WANTS MY BRATWURST ;_;

*shoves it into the next poster's mouth; storms off*

Can you please not?

I mean, I realize this is a silly forum, but I'd rather my game's thread not be clogged up with uh, german sausage.

• Does anyone have any questions or anything?

I'm just trying to hammer all this out in the meantime.

• edited 2012-07-03 00:56:54
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    There is one thing I've been wondering. Have we decided how we're doing abilities yet?

More specifically, are we doing the "4d6 drop the lowest roll" that the Player's Handbook recommends, a standard array of points, point-buy, or something else?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    What will be our long-term goal?
  • More specifically, are we doing the "4d6 drop the lowest roll" that the Player's Handbook recommends, a standard array of points, point-buy, or something else?

I was actually gonna have you guys vote on that. 4d6 would be the simplest on my end just cuz it's the most standard way to do it, but I don't mind if you've got your hearts set on point buy or something.

What will be our long-term goal?

In what sense?
    Like, are we trying to rescue a princess, win a war, find an artifact, unite two warring families, slay a vile necromancer, what?
  • Like, are we trying to rescue a princess, win a war, find an artifact, unite two warring families, slay a vile necromancer, what?

That would kind of be a bit spoilery wouldn't it?

I'll tell you this much, I've got several plot skeletons etched out, which one we do will depend on what you guys do. Both in the dungeons and in between them. There will be an overarching plot if that's your concern, but what, specifically, it will be will be the result of your own actions. I don't want to railroad you.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Sounds cool. Can't wait to see it.

And I'd be fine with 4d6.

Oh, good.

will this be a primarily combat-based campaign or will there be an equal amount of fighty bits and talky bits

• Probably the latter.

I should note that I want you guys to level up fast, though. So I'll be handing out XP for certain roleplay actions too.

okay, sounds good.

btw i have my heart set on point buy because it's hip

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Is everyone else still interested in joining the game? It's going to be awfully lonely with just three of us.
  • I don't know if I wanna join, I've never played DnD (or any RPG, for that matter).

If you're playing it on here though I'd like to see it, I guess.
  • Is everyone else still interested in joining the game? It's going to be awfully lonely with just three of us.

Daltar said she is but she's yet to post here because she's weird about forums that aren't TVTropes. Dunno about apocolypseWalker, Glenn, or Deathonabun.

Tre, if you have any interest I'd encourage you to join. No one's going to yell at you because you're new to this. Heck, I'm new to this.

Even I'm new to this!
    Honestly, I'm new to this too. I'm familiar with D&D (I even have a bunch of extra books for 3.5), but this is the first campaign I've actually played in.
  • I'm still surprised you didn't pick a Half-Dragon as a PC, Gator.

But that's cool.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I'm still somewhat deciding.

I'll probably have the time, even though school is starting soon, but I have no idea what to do as far as class/race/background.
  • Weeeell, I dunno.

Find a race that interests you and go from there?

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Is it too late to join?

(I've played D&D before, but I'm relatively new to it.)
  • Nope.

Not as long as you're willing to put up with me. We still need a dedicated spellcaster and a frontline fighter as well as a rogue, but you can pick whatever you like. Those are just some suggestions.

If "frontline fighter" means playing a walking meat shield who hits things with a sword a lot I am totally down with that.
  • 'kay.

Now you just have to come up with the rest of your character :P

You can use any playable race from any D&D3.5e book or any Pathfinder book as long as you can provide a suitably convoluted reason they'd be in Andar.

Also I'd prefer we steer clear of Elves, there's a substitute in the OP if you really want to play one (but given that you're a fighter I doubt you would.)

• Spell-caster!
  • You want to play one?

Alright, if daltar boards we'll have two spellcasters. That means you two can support each other.

• Support each other sensually? I never asked for this. >Deus Ex.

I meant in combat, but hey whatever you wanna do.

• What kind of casters can I be!, I am bad at Dnd >_>
  • Wizard, orrrrr Sorcerer. The former has a wider variety of spells, the latter has a narrower variety that they can cast more often.

If you want to get into the more advanced classes there's....Wu Jeng, I think they're called. And from Pathfinder we have Summoners and Oracles, but you don't really want either of those, take it from me.

• Hmmm....ehh sure, Wizard.
  • 'kay.

You'll need to pick a race (Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Oni, or Witch, are the "normal" ones for this campaign, but you can poke around the web to see if there are any you really want to play) alignment (any good or neutral alignment is fine) gender, and age.

I'll also need an appearance and backstory. Later on we'll roll up your stats and get you skills and spells and whatnot, but not yet.

• Human. alignment is gonna be neutral good. I'll work on the others in a bit :)
    Name: Lazarus Crewe
    Race: human
    Class: fighter I guess
    Backstory: Recently laid-off from a 12-year job packing alpaca wool during a factory downsizing [aiming for "quaintly old-fashioned" with this but can change if industrialized labour is anachronistic] and divorced from an 8-year marriage to his wife Alberta.

An honest, hard-worker and a sportsman, and a sincere follower of [too lazy to look up human D&D gods right now, will add to this later], he is competent in the traditional martial arts of his people.  Currently lacking a home or any source of income, he decided to follow his childhood dream of becoming an adventurer, or at least a walking meat shield who hits things with a sword a lot.
  • Yeah, we're not at industrial level tech here, yet. But the rest of it looks pretty good.

In that case he was a moderately wealthy farmer supplying a merchant who sold [goods no longer popular in Andar].  His farm overspecialized, and when the merchant went out of business he was suddenly without income.
  • I suppose that works better.

Guys just so you know there will be like

roleplay-ey segments here.

I just wanna make that clear, cuz it does honestly seem like you guys aren't putting too much thought into the backstory. Which is okay, I mean not everything has to be set in stone right now, but if an aversion to that kind of thing is why, I just feel you should all know.

I wouldn't have picked a bard if there wasn't!

But, yeah, I usually don't make several paragraph long backstories for my characters, it just seems excessive.

Well, I'm kind of hesitant on the specifics because I don't feel I know that much about the setting.  I thought that was a fairly complex backstory for a new character, tbh.
  • Well alright, that's fine then.

just explaining sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Did that sound defensive?  I'm not defensive, it's cool.  I can make it more complex if need be, I just need time to work on it.
  • No no no, that's fine. I wasn't saying your guys' backstories were bad or anything.
    Do tieflings get +5 to throwingpeopleoutofwindows rolls?

you know what, that should be a fucking house rule. 

make an excel document, put "house rules" up there in big fucking 72-point bold comic sans

and below

"tieflings get +5 to throwingpeopleoutofwindows rolls"