A Dungeons & Dragons game?

edited 2012-06-30 23:43:06 in Roleplay & Games

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested. We'd be doing 3.5 most likely, possibly with a handful of things from Pathfinder and/or original stuff mixed in.

I should point out that if we do decide to do this I have close to no idea of what I'm doing. I mean I've got (or can easily get) all the essential PDFs required to run a game, but this is literally my first time DMing a D&D game and only my second time playing, so you guys would have to be really cooperative and probably a bit patient too. But if you can work with me on that, I can promise you I'll try to make it as fun and interesting as possible.

As for the setting, we'd be using something inspired by that Flip! webcomic I wanted to write but never got around to. I figure it's a good way to reuse the concept (think a bit steampunkish, mixed with some traditional fantasy, and a few weird things).

I'm open to suggestions with all of the above, though, so shoot away.

The Interested Persons List

Me (durr)

Deathonabun

FutureSpacey?

Cynicalclock (I think?)

Professor Gator

The Setting:

The Setting for this particular campaign is the world of Flipside, you of course, will not be calling it that. Depending on your lineage you might call it a number of things, but it's rare that you'll have to--in-character--refer to the world.

There are a few differences between this setting and your standard D&D setting.

• You can't really trust a given race to Always Be Alignment X, Y, or Z. There are cases when you can trust that they'll usually be that (it's rare to find a benevolent vampire), but it's never a certainty.
  • Necromancy is not inherently evil here, this is probably the biggest one. While it is frowned upon (why wouldn't it be? You're messing with dead people) socially, you're not risking THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL by being a necromancer, and playing a good one is certainly possible (though I'm not sure if you'd really want to, but hey why not.) And they do exist in the setting.
  • There is quite a lot of magic here. Magic items are not rare, and are almost as common as their mundane counterparts. Niche magicians do everything from the magical equivalent of programming (more on that when the time comes) to making candles.
  • A few racial differences
    •  1: Elves are rather rare here. You can still play one (or a half-elf) if you really, really want to. But you're not going to be routinely encountering them as NPCs. Most of their roles are filled by Witches, which are actually quite similar to elves in several ways (long lifespan, affinity to magic, and so on)
    •  2: Likewise half-Orcs. They're not as rare, but in several places you may end up, their ecological and sociological niches are filled by Oni.
    •  3: I really do not intend to have you fighting rats. I might appropriate rats for some other creature that is combat-identical to a rat, but looks different. This is just because I kind of hate how a lot of "fantasy" games have you killing rats, wolves, bears, whatever. I just think people should endeavor to be more original than that.
    •  4: You may not play as Sakuna or Spirits. Sakuna are cyclopid plants that have massive mastery over innate spellcasting, they are also immobile and generally only move via teleportation. Spirits are jellyfish people with psychic powers that can turn intangible at will. Spirits I would be more comfortable with if I were more experienced a DM, since I don't think statting them would be too hard, but they have no easy D&D analogues, so I'm not going to bother. I'm not sure how often you'll run into them anyway.

The Races The PC races in The Flipside are the same as your standard D&D setting with the following additions:

Oni: Oni are tall humanoids with small, blunted horns on their foreheads. Oni skin runs the chromatic spectrum and can be nearly any color, their horns are usually black or yellow. Female Oni have larger and sharper horns than the male. Oni are functionally identical to Half-Orcs, with the following differences:

• They lack the Orc Blood ability
  • They lack the (Orc) subtype.
  • All Oni bonuses and penalties are flatly halved (instead of +2 Str. -2 Int. -2 Wis, it is +1 Str. -1 Int. -1 Wis)
  • Their automatic languages are Common and Oni, rather than Common and Orc
  • All Oni have an elemental trick. This is a very minute control over a single element of nature (always related to the color of their skin), elemental tricks are not generally useful for combat, but may have minor utility uses.
    • Fire: a Fire Oni can spark a small flame on the tip of one of their fingers, s/he cannot generally control the water unless control is granted by other means, but it does not harm him/her.
    • Water: a Water Oni can create a small amount of water at will, s/he cannot generally control the water unless control is granted by other means.
    • Air: an Air Oni can create a small spark on the tip of one of their fingers, s/he cannot generally control the spark unless control is granted by other means, but it does not harm him/her.
    • Earth: an Earth Oni can create a small quantity of dirt, s/he cannot generally control the dirt unless control is granted by other means.
  • All colors on the chromatic spectrum fall into one of those four elements.

Witches: Witches are thin, lithe humanoids with an affinity for magic. They generally live much longer than humans. Witches look similar to humans, but their skin can also be completely black or completely white. Their hair color runs the chromatic spectrum. They are functionally identical to High Elves with the following differences.

• Witches' racial bonuses are +2 Dex -2 Str as opposed to +2 Dex -2 Cons.
  • Witches' automatic languages are Common and Magi, as opposed to Common and Elven
  • They lack the (Elf) subtype

Tagged:

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Uhm.

I might be mildly interested.
  • How mildly?

Like on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "as interested as I am in pea soup" and 10 being "as interested as I am in [thingyoureallylike]"

• edited 2012-06-30 21:34:47
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    I'd be interested enough to say that I'm interested. which is, like, a 7.
  • okay.

Basically what I'mma do here is give everyone til Wednesday to say that they're interested, and then on Wednesday I'll decide on a deadline for character concepts (you can post those now if you're so inclined, when I say concepts I just mean things like Gender, Age, Race and some backstory, the statting is a ways off yet).

I might make myself a PC but I'm not sure if I really should. It'll depend on other factors.

Until then, general suggestions and input is also welcome.

• I could supply the liver!

Yar!
  • also I should point out that being this setting is inspired by something I made, there is a fuckton of magic.

Just magic everywhere. Magic out the ass, if you will.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Hmmm... I don't want to just jump into this without thinking about it, but I have an idea of what character I'd want to play if I were to make one. (Just to throw it out there, it's based on what I remember of one of your character ideas for the Flip! comic. That one researcher guy from the race of magic-using plantlike beings whose name I kind of forgot. The character's name was Uxe, right?)

If I don't end up being a player, I could help you out a little with planning and stuff if you needed it.
  • Oi, you remember stuff but not in the right order. XD

Those were Sekuna, they'll be showing up possibly as NPCs, but considering that they're immobile, I'm going to have to prohibit you from playing as them.

I may let you play as Witches and Oni, since they have close D&D analogues, but not the Sekuna, sorry. Consider any 3.5 or Pathfinder playable race you find a character you can play as. 

And planning help is fine, even if you do play. In fact, I encourage it (though on the same token I am trusting you all not to take advantage of my badness with mechanics. The point here is not to pwnzers everything).

Also I'm a bit surprised you don't want to be a lizardfolk or a dracotaur. :p

• Also, help on the mechanical side of things is greatly appreciated.

Because....fucking numbers, man.

• edited 2012-06-30 22:48:50
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Thinking about it, I'll have plenty of time to spare to do this for the next month and a half. So why not?

Don't worry, I'm not going to try illicit rules-lawyering or intentionally making broken combos and stuff. I can definitely number-crunch though, especially if I have a calculator on hand.

And thanks for telling me that. I actually wasn't sure whether you wanted them NPC-only. That's actually a pretty compelling reason; they are plants, after all.

Heh. I might choose a more reptilian character, but I want to be a little more creative for this. See, I want to try roleplaying as a character that's not mostly based on myself and my interests (I'm saving a character like that for something else). I might still go the "eccentric curious magic researcher" route, though, if no one minds.
  • I don't, though an eccentricly curious magic researcher is also going to be an important NPC (early on, anyway, I don't know about later). Not that you can't have one, or even that I'm discouraging you, just something to keep in mind.

As a rule of thumb I'm just going to need you guys to work with me, this is my first time doing this and I'm sure something is going to go wrong, but it doesn't have to break the game by doing so.

• Added the two "new" player races. If they seem unbalanced let me know.

oh, also please avoid Psionic races. Psionics don't factor in here at all.

• Yay, quadruple posting!

Alright, so I'm going to shortly update the OP with a short spiel about the assorted races of D&D and how they factor into the setting you're playing in, you can again play as any non-psionic D&D character race, you'll just have to have an explanation as to why they are where they are.

If you're interested, I'm going to want the following from you (no deadline yet, but do consider all of this):

• Name: including a nickname if you so desire
    • Race:
    • Class: this is just a tentative, you can change this later. Also if there's some prestige class you have your heart set on, go ahead and write that down too, just realize I am going to make you meet the requirements for it first.
    • Backstory: Make this rather general for now, we can elaborate on specifics later.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Name: Horatio

Race: Human

Class: Bard

Backstory: He's a wandering minstrel who decided to adventure thing because reasons.

• Okay, so apparently OP is too long. So I'm going to put the race thing right here.

In general, any D&D race can be found in some area of Sareth/The Flipside. These are the more common PC (and a few non-PC) races, and how they got to where they are.

• Humans: Humans are a minority in Sareth in general, but there are more of them in Andar than elsewhere. Generally speaking, humans from Andar will be darker-skinned desert-dwellers, possibly tribesmen but not necessarily. Other humans may come from all over Sareth for a variety of reasons, Andar is a newly-inhabited place, so there is plenty of opportunity here.
    • Dwarves: Many a Dwarf makes his home in the Illnak Mountains not far from Andar, so it is not at all odd that they venture into the city for a myriad of reasons ranging from the mundane to the life-altering. Dwarves who live in Andar are generally adventurers, as the sandy, beachlike climate is quite different than what an average Dwarf is used to.
    • Elves and Half-Elves: Elves are, as previously stated, very rare in Sareth on the whole. But an Elf from one of the far-off woodland nations could conceivably make his or her way to Andar in search of some item or in the progress of some great quest. But generally, they are not found in this area unless they are exiles. Half-Elves are slightly more likely, but would usually only be found in Andar for much the same reasons a fullblooded elf wood.
    • Half-Orcs: Desert tribes of Orc are rather common, and from time to time, one will mate with a human. This is usually the source of Half-Orcs in Andar.
    • Halflings: Halflings roam frequently, and while there are not any indigenous to the area around Andar, it is possible that a clan may either be there currently or have been there at one point, and some individuals decided to stay.
    • Gnomes: A Gnome may be in Andar for an assortment of reasons depending on their profession. It is rather common for Gnomish jewelers to be in the area.
    • Oni: Most Oni are nomadic, and some tribes are native to Andar's nearby deserts. Many have found a home within the city's walls, and the town's ruler himself is an Oni.
    • Witches: Witches travel frequently in search of magical items and baubles, they are a sizable minority in Andar.
    • Kobolds: Kobolds are native to Andar's deserts. It is not unusual for them to conduct raids on the city, but some also live in it (ironically, the captain of the town guard is a Kobold), usually eeking out a living in the city's lower classes. Surprisingly, many also start up shops, and pawn shops in particular are often owned by them.
    • Goblins: Goblins fill much the same niche in Andar as Kobolds do, and the two races often compete.

all of the above is subject to change, based both on my own ideas and player input.

• Backstory: He's a wandering minstrel who decided to adventure thing because reasons.

erm...well it's a start I guess.

You've got time to think on it.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Yeah, I'm going to write up a better one later.
  • edited 2012-07-01 01:01:19
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Name: Zuo
    Race: Oni
    Class: Cleric

Backstory: Zuo was raised by an upper-crust family in Andar. He often enjoyed reading through his family's library in his youth. From this, he gained both a strong sense of spirituality and an odd interest in magical artifacts, both divine and arcane. He started his career as an adventurer soon after hearing rumors of particularly powerful artifacts hidden in Andar. (to be updated when I think of more ideas that fit well with this)
  • hmm.

I'm okay with most of it, but are you sure that backstory works for an Oni? Oni live mostly in tribal societies. They do live in Andar but it'd be weird for Zuo to be at all upper crust. Especially considering that's barely a thing in Andar yet.

Unless he's adopted, I suppose?

Just something to consider.

Also I totally forgot about alignment, yay me.

Give me an alignment if you don't mind. You can't be evil, but any nonevil alignment is open to you. And you can change it later if you decide to. We're not starting the game right away.

• Actually, nevermind. I'm stupid.

Forget everything in the prior post sans the alignment thing.

IGNORE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• edited 2012-07-01 01:15:19
    Hmm. I suppose you're right. What if I was to change it to him finding work as an assistant in a library and reading in his spare time? Would that make more sense with the setting?

And you ninja'd me. I do have more time to decide between those two options, I guess.

Also, I'll probably go with either the classic Lawful Good or Neutral Good as a backup.
  • That works too, but see my most recent post.

It occurs to me it doesn't make sense for their to not be an Oni upper class if the city's ruler is an Oni. 

Also I have to figure out how to stat Sekuna. This should be fun.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I'm currently deciding if I would even have time to join you guys on this.

And if I do, I'm not sure what class/race I would want to pick, especially seeing as how my favorite (bard) has already been taken.
  • There could be more than one bard, but I'd prefer there not be.

As for time, since this is a forum, we don't have to have proper sessions (though I will expect people to go as soon as they can that does not necessarily mean right away)

I'm still working out how all of this is gonna go down. So, I wouldn't worry about not having enough time, to be honest.

But it is ultimately up to you.

• edit: actually, nah.

edit 2: okay, what I'll do is, if we don't have enough players, I'll make a DMPC. But not otherwise.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Added the two "new" player races. If they seem unbalanced let me know.

oh, also please avoid Psionic races. Psionics don't factor in here at all.

• um?

If that's a joke, I'm not getting it. If you're expressing disapproval at one or both of those things, please leave. I don't care for the Psionic supplements, it's just off-brand magic.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'm just a fan oh psionics, regardless of how "off-color" they are in many D&D settings, pay me no mind. 

Oh wait, looks like you already did.

• oh.

well like I just said, I don't care for Psionics. It's basically off-brand magic and it generally feels really out of place unless you're running a campaign built around it.

Also it gives Psionic characters an unfair advantage in a nonpsionic campaign, since most monsters don't have resistances to powers in the same way many do spells.

• edited 2012-07-01 20:09:48
    So, I looked through some of the homebrew and Pathfinder gods, and the one that appeals the most to me is Irori. So unless Irori has strong objections to studying magical artifacts that I somehow missed, I think I'll have Zuo follow him. Of course, this means I'll have to be Lawful Good instead of Neutral Good, but that's what I was sort of aiming for.
  • Alright.

You'll need to do some stuff with domains then, but we can put that off for now if you're not quite sure what you want to do there yet.

Also your character will probably have a copy of that holy book on him. At this point I'd suggest opening up a true character sheet, for now just filling out the stuff we know (which'd be Name, Race, Gender, Age, Alignment, and one Possession). Also if you have an appearance in mind, mark that down too.

Also just based on what little I remember about it, you may want to consider taking the Loremaster prestige class at some point. I think that's what it's called anyway.

• edited 2012-07-01 20:39:52
    All right, I've started up on that. Though it's just a temporary setup in an Excel spreadsheet I found on Google; I'm hoping to use another character sheet generator once I've got an idea of his stats.

I've marked down that Zuo has white hair (Oni hair can be white or black, right?), light violet skin, and a black horn.

Also, I forgot about the Loremaster class. Looks perfect for him. I should probably take the Knowledge and Rune domains so I have an easier time getting it.
  • Regarding domains, you could normally pick from Knowledge, History, and Self-Perfection. Unfortunately, those latter two domains don't seem to exist, or at least I can't find any info about them.

So, unless you can dig some up, I'll let you choose a second domain that could reasonably extrapolated from the deity's profile. Or you could just pick the Law domain.

edit: I suppose Rune works.

I've marked down that Zuo has white hair (Oni hair can be white or black, right?), light violet skin, and a black horn.

That is correct, yes.

As for Violet, I actually haven't accounted for that. Since it's a mix of red and blue.

I guess that'd make Zuo a water oni?

Also I'm considering adding a small bonus against elemental attacks of an Oni's particular element, do you guys think that'd make them overpowered? (It'd just be like +1 against element yadda yadda, but still)

Name: Horatio

Race: Human

Class: Bard

Backstory: When asked about his past, Horatio seems surprised that you are not already acquainted with the tales of his daring exploits. You're not really sure if anyone is, though. He seems to be a wandering bard of some repute, and has joined the party so he can write tales of the exploits of a real group of adventurers.
    Also, do the PCs know each other before the game starts, or is it a thing where they all meet in an inn and conveniently decide to kill things together instead of by themselves?
  • That's still a bit vague, but it works.

Can I get an alignment and what he looks like, plox?

Also, do the PCs know each other before the game starts, or is it a thing where they all meet in an inn and conveniently decide to kill things together instead of by themselves?

Currently, I'm having it that you met the day before the game starts. I'll let you decide the exact circumstances of that meeting amongst yourselves, but you will begin the game in an inn.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

As for Violet, I actually haven't accounted for that. Since it's a mix of red and blue.

I guess that'd make Zuo a water oni?

Ah. I was aiming for air with violet. I'm guessing that's green or yellow? Green would be an acceptable substitute.

And I'm not sure if the elemental resistance would make them overpowered, but I'd be fine with it. It might help counterbalance having a slight penalty to two abilities.
  • Air would be any shade of Green, grey, or white.

Yellow would be fire.

But green works.

• okay, I'm a freaking idiot.

I read Irori's portfolio instead of his domains.

Also fuck you vanilla, eatin' my post.

• huh. So there are standardized "desert" variants for a lot of the typical D&D races. 

Didn't know that, I might use some of these for NPCs or foes.

Can I get an alignment and what he looks like, plox?

Chaotic Good. Also he looks like this guy, whose picture i totally did not steal from baldur's gate 2.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I believe you spacey, I believe you.

Noted.

• Let me know if you need an extra character.

I know I posted on IJBM saying that I intend to decline, I want to leave open the possibility I might join.  That said, my unused characters have been rogues and one ranger, FWIW though.
  • Well I think we have a wizard and possibly a fighter on the way, so a rogue would fit right in.