A Dungeons & Dragons game?

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I guess depending on WHEN I started working for the barkeep, I could have been in town for a while.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    A couple exceptions, huh?

If it's still okay, I might stick with my original "upper-crust family" background. My family could be at least somewhat acquainted with the mayor, so that would mean I've been in town for a little while, too.

Though in any event, I obviously wasn't paying attention to any political matters since I didn't take Knowledge (nobility and royalty).
  • Yeah, that's fine.

The mayor's a fire oni (yellow-skinned) anyway, so your family wouldn't be too in with him.

Also I have it as headcanon now that Orcs in this setting are non-elemental oni, and the two races don't get along well.

• How much should I know of the other people's characters?  (i.e. how much should i pay attention to their posts as I reread this thread?)
  • You will not know them for more than a day or so at the start, but you'll get to know them as time goes on. 

So the backstories presented here aren't that important to you right now but you'll want to pay attention in the RP thread when it's made.

• edited 2012-07-10 03:45:03
    Gnomes are the sort of michievous trickster type, right?  And so are kobolds and goblins, right?

How about something this, I'm rolling up a new character:

Rycan, sometimes nicknamed "Rye"
    neutral good (leaning toward chaotic) human male rogue, age 18
    STR 10 DEX 17 CON 14 INT 16 WIS 11 CHA 9

Rycan (no surname provided) is from the lower classes of Andar, who typically enjoys entering and exploring places he shouldn't be, ranging from sewers to storerooms to ruins to whatever random tunnels or interesting buildings he can find.  He likes mapping out the places he visits, and though doesn't always remember to write down what he's seen, he has a habit of carrying charcoal (that's the D&D equivalent of pencil, right?) and parchment with him to draw maps and write notes.  He knows some kobolds (substitute goblins and/or gnomes if appropriate) in the underworld of the city, from those down on their luck to some petty thieves he's saved from capture (because of a good-natured sympathy, mostly), and he shares with them some dislike of the government and elites in the city.

Fun fact: Rycan's name is based on a previous character's name, Nycar.
  • um, yeah that works.

Just keep all that and make sure you put it in the character sheet, then. 

Y'know I haven't thought about gnomes until now at all. They just never crossed my mind.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "Gnomes are the sort of michievous trickster type, right?  And so are kobolds and goblins, right?"

A bit off-topic: It just struck me how similar these entities are out of mythology. All three are more or less just short people who look like humans. Though, Kobolds and Goblins seemingly being the same thing just from different cultures, though Kobolds get associated with underground more than Goblins. Gnomes as well. Funny how various writers and games have made them all very different now.

Back on-topic: I believe people use quills and pens to write in D&D for the most part. Kobolds are pretty crafty when it comes to traps. I think Goblins tend to just sneak up on people and stab them when they aren't looking a bit more.

Gnomes are probably a tad trixy. 
  • I think you're probably right 

however

I don't do species stereotyping. I think it's A) silly and B) racist. Racist against fictional species, yes, but still racist.

The captain of the town guard is a goddamn kobold. He rides on the shoulder of a Force Golem.

Why? Because fuck you, Gary Gygax. Fuck you.

• 87. There is no such thing as a dwarven katana.

Fuck you, Mr. Welch's keeper. There is now.

87. There is no such thing as a dwarven katana.

Fuck you, Mr. Welch's keeper. There is now.

A sword that chops, perhaps?
  • Sure why not.

And it'll have an axeblade on the other end. Because that is DWARVEN ENGINEERING

in actuality, the Kghilsfir, otherwise known as the "Dwarven Katana" was invented by Dwarven comedian Lutjel Khurk to lampoon stereotypes about "Dwarven Engineering". Unfortunately, it caught on with several other races who did not quite get the joke. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Lutjel runs a tidy business manufacturing and selling the wildly impractical weapons.

• 238. My bard cannot play or has ever heard of the theremin, didgeridoo or glass armonica.

didgeridooooooooooooooo

this list is giving me far more ideas than is healthy.

• edited 2012-07-10 12:58:11
    I like where this is going.

Anyway, if goblins are more low-tech individualists and kobolds are more craftmansy, then what are gnomes?  more capitalistic and financially successful?

I think I'll hang out with the kobolds.

Do they ever mess with magic devices?  I'm wondering whether to put ranks in that.

And does that Javascript character generator output to a nice sheet I can see/save?

And we're starting at level 1, right?

From a standard fantasy perspective, Gnomes tend to invent stuff. 

It seems D&D has made them a tad closer to how you described it.
  • Gnomes are Gnomes.

I mean the whole stereotype is that they're basically the good version of kobolds, but we're not doing that kind of thing here, so you can have him hang out with kobolds if you want.

Do they ever mess with magic devices? I'm wondering whether to put ranks in that.
    And does that Javascript character generator output to a nice sheet I can see/save?
    And we're starting at level 1, right?

yes, I think so, and yes, in that order.

• edited 2012-07-10 19:12:38
    Oh my, I've forgotten what skills I usually take.  Time to dig up my character sheets.

By the way, how much should we be worrying about food or encumbrance?

Also, I found a problem with this Javascript character sheet generator: It doesn't show the difference between trained-only and untrained-attemptable skills.
  • whoa whoa whoa, slooooow down.

I don't want full character sheets until I get the info sheet from everyone. And Cynicalclock still needs to hand her's in.

can someone PM her for me please? I would but we really don't know each other that well.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This thing has caused me to pick back up my development of a spreadsheet-based character sheet.

The last time I worked on it, I was doing something, and I don't know what anymore...so this time I've decided to redesign it partly from scratch...and I think it's going better than it did before.

I am enjoying the ADDRESS and INDIRECT functions.

FYI:
    * ADDRESS lets you take stuff that's written out and turn that into an address.  For example, you can take a "4" and a "9" and turn that into "D9" (i.e. the cell).
    * INDIRECT lets you turn text data into cell data.  Basically, if you tell it "D9" it'll produce what cell D9 contains.  The reason you use this is because functions normally take variables (such as particular cell references) and constants (such as numbers and text strings), so you can't make them treat the cell contents themselves as an address.

You need both of these functions if you want to make a reference that changes depending on conditions--which is what I'm doing here.

I will have the user upload the BAB and Saves chart for any class they're using.  Then I can tell the spreadsheet to point to the appropriate BAB and Saves data depending on that character's class level.  What this means is that, for example, when you go from rogue level 3 to rogue level 4, all you need to do to change your saves and BABs is change your level number from 3 to 4--since you've uploaded the level progression data already, you don't need to manually change each save and the BAB, because the spreadsheet will look that up for you.
  • edited 2012-07-11 21:00:03
    I've always felt that D&D had way too many things to keep track of, in creating a character, leveling up, and in the course of normal gameplay.

So I've been looking for ways to automate as much of that as possible, and make the rest of it clear.

I think my next challenge is to figure out how to properly keep track of how many skill points were gained for what skills in each level, so that if a character gets de-leveled, the stats will be correct.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    programming stuff
  • edited 2012-07-11 21:04:54
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Sounds challenging. The end product could be quite interesting, though. Good luck, Glenn!

I learned a couple useful tricks in Excel in one of my biology classes, but I'm not proficient enough with it to make something as large-scale as a character sheet generator.
  • I don't really know all that many tricks; making this was kinda a learning process for me.

Also, I don't really have much experience with the needs of clerics, druids, fighters, sorcerors, or...pretty much any class other than rogue (and maybe wizard and warlock), so if I make this and post it, please feel free to give me some feedback.
  • Alright, but I'm new to this too. Don't go crazy on me, mon.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Bump ahoy!

So, I sampled Heroes of Horror today. I have discovered that I'm... not exactly the biggest fan in the world of horror campaigns. I don't mind scary things now and then, but some of the suggestions got a bit grimdark for my tastes.

Of course, by all indication, this is not going to be a horror game, and I don't mean to come across as suspicious. I'm just rambling about a useful mental note I've made.
  • edited 2012-07-12 19:16:15
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I'm still not entirely sure how to build a charisma based rogue.

I just wish there were some more ways to use charisma more effectively in combat. I suppose there's feinting, but still. There are a couple prestige classes that let you add Charisma to attack rolls, but they all seem to be homebrew.

And I'm not sure how well multiclassing with Sorcerer will work out. Heh. I've never multiclassed at all...
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Multiclassing always seemed too complicated to me.
  • edited 2012-07-12 19:49:09
    You use charisma to stay out of combat, and you can also use charisma to scare people out of fighting you (Intimidate) or to convince them they shouldn't fight you (Diplomacy), I guess.

That said, I know that the Arcane Trickster official prestige class would be a nice thing to make out of rogue + sorceror.  One of my favorite combos is the arcane spell Shocking Grasp combined with the Sneak Attack ability.

Also, you should get some advice from someone who knows D&D more as to how you should stagger your levels of rogue and sorceror.  I posted a question about this in IJBMer Updates.
  • Crowdsourcing works yet again!

From Nova:

You would need to be at least a 4th-level Rogue (You get the
    2d6 sneak attack requirement at level 3, and you get 8+Int Modifier
    skill points per level, so that's enough for 7 ranks in Decipher Script,
    Disable Device, and Escape Artist, and 4 points in Knowledge (Arcana),
    with a minimum of 3 skill points remaining a level to add to what you
    wish) and a 6th-level sorceror (You can cast 3rd-level spells starting
    at level 6, although you must be able to cast Transmutation spells).

I would suggest going Rogue until Level 3, to gain Trapsense, your
    second level of Sneak Attack, and Evasion, then getting 4 levels of
    Sorceror to gain the ability to cast 2nd-level spells, then getting an
    additional 2 levels of Rogue, to gain additional skill points, Uncanny
    Dodge, and the third level of Sneak Attack, then the further two levels
    of Sorceror.

By the way, Bunny, if you don't mind my asking, what's your character's name? I know you and Lazuli have got the backstory sort of established, but I don't think you ever mentioned a name.
  • edited 2012-07-12 20:42:47
    More from Nova:

Charisma has few skills associated with it. You have the two common
    skills, Diplomacy and Intimidation; you also have Disguise, Handle
    Animal (which can only be done when you have skill points invested in
    it), Gather Information, Perform, and Use Magic Object.

I imagine you would only really want to use Diplomacy/Intimidation,
    Disguise, and UMO as a Rogue/Sorceror hybrid, perhaps with a couple of
    points in Gather Information for when that would be useful. Int-related
    skills would probably be a better bet.

By Use Magic Object she means Use Magic Device.

• edited 2012-07-12 20:57:55
    Also, she forgot Bluff.  Which is another CHA skill.

And she recommends a secondary focus on WIS, to get a good Sense Motive.

Also, I'm calling you Bunny.

Excellent. I like characters that have somewhat connecting backstories.

Well...uh...

I guess

Name: Arzaac Rorrin
    Age: Probably early 20s. Living a life of thievery does not leave much time for birthday remembering.
    Race: *deciding*
    Class: Rogue
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Backstory: A relatively good natured thief with a penchant for kleptomania. One day he decided to steal from the wrong innkeeper, and since then has become a rogue for hire for any adventuring parties he comes across. Not entirely by his own will, of course...
    I posted it before.

You can thank Kex for the first name. I came up with the last name by myself. =P
  • edited 2012-07-12 22:54:57
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    You know, I remember reading that post, yet somehow I completely missed the first line of the fill-out form thing.

Also, I am thus far the only person whose character's name does not contain the letter A.
  • that's just because you haven't met Xyxzyzxyzxyxzlklkklfzxxzz the mindflayer yet.

Also, if I don't get Cynicalclock's thing by Friday I'm going to assume she dropped out. Which will cause a problem cuz we kind of need a dedicated spellcaster.

I could run a DMPC, but I'm not sure how you guys feel about that....

• Does Arzaac insist he's a treasure hunter, not a thief?
    I like that idea.

Possibly.
    Oh, Locke Cole. You have unwittingly inspired generations of aspiring young rogues.
    At the very least I'll probably use that line when I'm attempting to convince someone that I'm really not a thief, honest!

I could run a DMPC, but I'm not sure how you guys feel about that....

Will I be able to belittle him at every turn?
  • Hey, we have a charisma-based rogue.  Get him to Use Magic Device on a wand of cure light wounds.
  • No, no you would not.

And it would probably not be a him. Because everyone else in this party is a him.

We could always polymorph her into an animal and make her our friendly mascot-- (magic missile'd)

No, no you would not.

And it would probably not be a him. Because everyone else in this party is a him.

could i make jokes at her expense
  • okay, so that's a no on that idea, then.

gmpcs are never good things. never ever never.