ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/marketwired.php

Oh God. The logo looks like it took XTREEM pills, and the BS in the application video sounds like someone read the Cluetrain Manifesto and learned absolutely nothing from it.

God damn, are we back in 1998 all of a sudden?
    So anyway, I was googling an old Libby's slogan, and found this:

Hmmmmmm, gee, I wonder if Klein & made this commercial! (The animation looks like Calico's style, and those two worked together a lot.)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    is that Cooper Black with swashes
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Yahoo! will be introducing a new logo on September 4 and between now and then it will cycle through 30 different logos before unveiling the new one. More info at the link. Nice PR gimmick.

It's a cute idea, I guess, but it seems like you're defeating the purpose if you're showing us all your logos there in the video.
  • I don't think the video actually had thirty logos in it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...True. I didn't actually count...

Also, Day 2: image
  • imho one of the thirty logos should be tumblr style.

yahoo.
    heh, nice.
  • I just knew someone would say that.
    Is it just me, or is the watercolor effect much more convincing at small sizes than up close?

Part of it is the lack of a texture, as you would expect from actual watercolor on paper, so at large sizes the smoothness makes it obvious it's a computer-generated gradient.
    Whoever does the retyped credits at INSP is a logo fan: 

I always did love Worldvision's logo
    Now I'm curious as to how they handle the logos on The Waltons. Just a few more minutes now...
    It would be hilarious if somebody vectored up Lorimar's "Lp" logo for the end credits (I don't think that the "Lp" looks particularly like those letters, but still)
  • edited 2013-08-13 22:09:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Unfortunately they didn't this time; it's just the copyright notice and the IATSE bug.

Aww...
    (by the way, I'd have better captures, but I don't have a VHS machine plugged into the cable box at the moment.)
    It's a cute concept I guess but jesus it hurts my eyes

good branding shouldn't be physically painful
    The off-kilter CW logo upsets me

Also, there's more Brandon Grotesque

A typeface that admittedly did not grab my enthusiasm until the 2010 Comedy Central identity used it...

CW Seed seems to be confirming for me that The CW would really be better off not being a broadcast network.
    Ok, so I'm not the only one who noticed the off-kilter CW logo

I wonder how much longer The CW as a broadcast network will stick around
    It serves as a loss leader for its shows...which is kind of odd, as they're not there to sell anything except DVD sets (unless you consider Arrow a comic book commercial)...

CBS would do well to buy the Hallmark Channel, or Reelz, or something, and replace it with the CW. I doubt too many cord-cutters will miss it anyway (though my mother watches Arrow).
    http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_restaurant_design_for_tgi_fridays.php

This is definitely an improvement, but...well, not gonna lie, the removal of the apostrophe bugs me for reasons I'm not quite sure of.
  • god exists only for those whose parents told them that god existed. luckily, mine were scientists.

im laughing so hard help
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-08-23 13:19:51
    -sigh- Brand New's commenters can be so weird...

Anyway, I do like the redesign. The removal of the apostrophe doesn't bother me so much as it is just an "oh hey, that's not there anymore", you know? Same thing with the lowercase i in FRiDAY'S (though now that I think about it, that was definitely more in place in 2004 than it is in 2013).
    ^^ That whole exchange was hilarious, somehow.

^ The lowercase i always seemed out of place, as it if was an attempt to give "character" to the logo after they'd made it more generic and corporate.

I don't know why the removal of the apostrophe bothers me, because it doesn't even make much sense as a possessive, but for some reason it does.
  • edited 2013-08-23 16:14:37
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Clearly, TGIFs is losing out on money from the lucrative militant atheist crowd.

But it's losing much more from the militant "anti-capitalization" crowd.
  • edited 2013-08-23 17:14:02
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also, Chick-fil-A changed their logo at some point. It's a subtle amendment:

Before:

After:

probably old news, but I just noticed
    the simplified beak is a nice touch
  • the simplified beak of shame and homophobia
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

...On that note,  I looked at the new logo and thought "The new chicken looks more concerned than his predecessor. Could it be that it understands that gay people may eat at his establishment? That it may be cooked, killed, then eaten by a homosexual? And it's perhaps contemplating this new reality of the modern world and is moderately uncomfortable?"

Sorry logo chicken, you'll have to live (or die) with the fact that we can't always chose the sexual preference of those that eat us.
  • edited 2013-08-23 18:14:17
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    maybe the chicken doesn't like that it represents an establishment owned by homophobes?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

That works, too. I mean it's obvious the chicken is now concerned about SOMETHING. It could be that it had to make the hard chose between its values and a paycheck. And it now sits on the logo, unsure if it made the right choice. 

But hey, it has CHICKS to think about here. 
    dat logo

I remember thinking that logo was outdated even in the mid-to-late 1980s, when I first saw it. That mall opened in September 1981, and the logo obviously hasn't been changed since...it kind of reminds me of "ABC Is The Place". :P
    I still think it's kinda pretty...
  • edited 2013-08-23 22:16:10
    Oh, it is, it's just...it really strongly reminds me of when I was little and Futura and Avant Garde seemed to be everywhere.

Come to think of it, a lot of mall logos and decorations do that to me. It's like a 1970s/1980s version of Zeerust.
    Oh, wow, that's a nice little unintentional throwback there

Also it amuses me how the wordmark in the photo doesn't match the one in the other graphics
  • oooooooh yeah i never showed y'all this:

my high school's logo
  • edited 2013-08-23 22:36:07

the official story as passed down from the staff is that the patriots stole it from us

original logo do not steal
    Heh.

High schools with stolen sports logos seems to be a pretty common thing...my brother's high school uses a blatantly copied Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets logo.
    I think I remember seeing someone around here with a stolen Minnesota Vikings logo...
    It's nice to see some actual effort going into the branding/decor of thrift stores for once!

In America, it seems like thrift stores are just kinda...there. Like, they'll have "MEN's SHiRTS" written on a piece of cardboard and nobody cares because it serves its purpose.
  • edited 2013-08-27 21:07:15
    Oh hey, this episode of Too Cute just used the MTM meow in the opening credits. :o

Also, regarding thrift stores, Goodwill does a pretty good job of decorating their stores, though I can see small independent shops not trying as hard.
    Ah, that's true, Goodwill does seem to do pretty well with it; they've even updated the one nearest me sometime recently.

The other big chains around here (Volunteers of America, Salvation Army, Ohio Thrift) all seem to care a bit less, though.
    The State of Colorado has a logo now

People have their butts chapped about this

They may or may not have noticed that the city of Denver has a logo too

Neither of these have supplanted any flags or been used by anyone but the governments (though the state government intends on licensing the Colorado logo out to state businesses)
    As for what is literally yesterday's news, my mind reacted badly to this initially

The YouTube logo is not being replaced, but muddied with an alternate logo (though this logo's form has already shown up in various places)
    As far as government/tourism logos go, Colorado's actually seems pretty nice. It's simple, it conveys an association that's easily recognizable (Colorado = mountains), and it doesn't have the sort of garishness I associate with tourism logos.

Re: YouTube: It's the wordmark there that bothers me more than anything else. It's so generic it hurts.

(Also, I noticed a while back that the play-button icon has replaced the traditional YouTube logo as the icon for the official Android app)
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    As someone who's never lived in Colorado, I think the new logo looks quite nice.

The new Youtube logo is not perfect, but definitely an improvement over the old one. Pity they're muddying the water rather than just switching over completely.

What annoys me about the new logo is the width of the wordmark. It's just a little bit wider than the play button above it—which makes it look like they were trying to make them the same width and failed. If the wordmark were obviously wider than the play button, I wouldn't think anything of it.