ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• edited 2013-02-09 04:52:35
    (flower path)
    Usually not for only eighteen thousand dollars they don't, @Viani.
  • edited 2013-03-17 17:54:52
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    7-Eleven Europe stuff, which I think was on Brand New's Friday Likes a while back

It's too bad that in America this would be instantly derided for looking '80s and they'd be back to the old stuff within a month or two

7-Eleven does not strike me as a very aesthetically-in-tune/elegant brand anyway
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It strikes me as somewhat '70s-ish, but not at all in a bad way.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I like it.
  • That is cool, yeah.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Anonus said:

How about that pointless DIN-esque lettering?

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    DIN's alright...that logo just smacks of "look how trendy we are!" to me.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The talk about band logos on the previous pages got me thinking.

Flogging Molly introduced that logo for their 2004 album Within a Mile of Home, and used it on every album since (except Whiskey on a Sunday, which was less of an album and more of a weird retrospective anyway), varying the color to match each album's art direction.

I like it, but it's kind of an odd match. Flogging Molly is a Celtic punk band, but you wouldn't know that from looking at the logo at all. Of course, no one can fault them for eschewing those "Look at me, I'm so Irish" novelty fonts, but a slick san-serif font is pretty far removed from the do-it-yourself aesthetic of punk rock. Which fits, I guess—FM is successful enough that it might appear dishonest to use the DIY look. Besides, they lean rather more heavily on the folk half of the folk-punk equation than other bands in the scene.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2013-04-01 21:25:26

hook, line, sinker
  • i fell for it up until the magazine >.<
    Hi WLS-TV:

Anonus said:

Hi WLS-TV:

...wow.

If that image is unedited, that is all kinds of sad.
    It's from the April Fool's article linked above.
    Now I get it.

Strangely, I do prefer Chrome's little broken image symbol to the usual one.
    I think my favorite image from the article was this:

It's such a spot-on parody of those little logo construction things that everyone seems to do nowadays.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    BROKEN IMAGE ICON DNA :lol:
    Also less foody, more financial, also dat dumb apostrophe

On the other hand, IDEAL SANS
  • edited 2013-04-08 11:07:50
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Something I've been meaning to mention for a while and have just plain forgotten about until now:

Apparently Noseybonk has his own custom version of the S From Hell. :lol:
    ...Why even bother? It just kinda looks "cheaper" now, what with that lame gold effect.
    I know it.

I think I actually told you about it when I saw it on Deadline though...

You know, I think you did. I'd forgotten about it because it's not very memorable. Sorry. >_<

Cyclone's pretty cool, and so is that identity. I like that they put the silhouette in the main logo in a more active pose (a layup vs. boring old dribbling).
    Oh what

Eh, they designed its predecessor...
    I wish Troika's website still had the 2005-2007 and 2007-2008 iterations of Fox's "New Slant" look on there

I always preferred the 2005 version because it was less busy and more chromatically diverse...also, it described that version as "irreverently deconstructing" Fox's logo, when in fact the "slant" motif is obviously derived from the 20th Century Fox logo's searchlights.
    "New Slant"?
    It was the name given to the on-air looks
    (All of Fox's on-air looks from the 2008-2009 season onward build on the "So Fox" look that was introduced that season; the 2009 iteration of it and its successors decided to play up the "O" in the Fox logo)
    I tried googling it but it turned up results for "fox news slant", interpreting "slant" as "bias". :\
  • edited 2013-04-25 18:12:15
    Try

"fox" "new slant"

I tried googling it but it turned up results for "fox news slant", interpreting "slant" as "bias". :\

Video reels of it may not be easy to find; Troika has since removed both iterations of the look from its website, as for whatever reason they find displaying most of their pre-2006 work and some things after 2006 to be undesirable.

I think I have the one of the 2007 look on a DVD somewhere...
    I wonder why they decided to purge their site of their old work. Isn't having a long, full portfolio a good thing?
  • I wonder why they decided to purge their site of their old work. Isn't having a long, full portfolio a good thing?

One word: Modernism.
    Don't you know that anything that's more than a few years old has no value, silly

Anyway, I found a remnant of the '05 New Slant reel

It's not the whole thing, it's captured from Vimeo (the whole thing seems to be gone from there too), and the framerate leaves a little to be desired, but it's the best I could find:

Oh hey, I have vague memories of that look.

I always wondered whether the angle of the slat was arbitrary or whether it was meant to represent something.
    Something I've always found interesting about the 1997 Food Network logo: 

The dish and the play on the integral symbol look a lot like IDT's logo:

I don't think Pittard Sullivan (its designers) meant it as such, though...

When did Pittard Sullivan go under, anyway? I'd heard that in the late '90s they were going through financial difficulties...
    That bottom IDT logo reads as "Sdt" to me, though now that you've pointed out it's an integral symbol it makes way more sense.
    CA: I had that same problem with their logo when I first started seeing it on memory chips in the 1990s.
  • Well, the integral sign was a large form of the long S, so...
    Lionsgate's new logo animation got relegated to the B-Side

I noticed they subscribed to the "Web 2.0" mentality: if you get prominent and you have any sort of interesting visual identity, it must be dispensed of for generic blandness.

I'm thinking of Twitter and how they got rid of most of their cutesy illustrations over time...this owl, I think, was gone by 2010 :/
    I don't really have anything to add to that, since I talked about this in the main thread a couple days ago. It's just sorta generic and lacks the character of the old logo.

Agreed about Twitter, though. It's a shame they had to get rid of all the stuff that gave it personality.
  • edited 2013-04-26 15:55:33
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I now suddenly find myself wondering who drew the original Twitter illustrations anyways. They all seem to be from the same artist, and by and large, they're the kind of stylization that I like. I agree that it's a shame that most of them seem to have been removed over time.

Thankfully, at least that artist's "fail whale" illustration has stuck around for the time being. I'm wondering how long it will be before they get rid of that one too.
    I'm sure the only reason that's even still around is because it was the only one that achieved widespread recognition.
  • edited 2013-04-26 20:32:51
    Anonus said:

Lionsgate's new logo animation got relegated to the B-Side

I noticed they subscribed to the "Web 2.0" mentality: if you get prominent and you have any sort of interesting visual identity, it must be dispensed of for generic blandness.

Neither of them look very good, though the old logo is preferable.

Thankfully, at least that artist's "fail whale" illustration has stuck around for the time being. I'm wondering how long it will be before they get rid of that one too.
    I love the Fail Whale.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-05-01 08:10:51

A subtle but welcome change. I was actually kind of bothered by that blue line being there, it doesn't fit the brand and never truly has. I'm actually rather surprised Armin didn't notice it before, he's usually pretty good about that sort of thing. I definitely did though. 

Also the new iconography is pretty cool, not gonna lie. 
    I always wondered what the blue line was for.

Also in the new sports icon it looks like the stick figure's leg broke off.
    Also the icons that make use of the generic profile images' silhouettes strike me as overly visually busy somehow.

Also the old non-profits icon somehow reminds me of the Underhands
    Somehow I never even noticed the lighter blue stripe was there. It does look better without it, though.

I admit this is one of those logos that I find fine from an aesthetic or design standpoint but at the same time resent the existence of. It irritates me that stupid icons for social media sites seem to have become an almost mandatory part of any sort of advertising. Heck, even when I wrote copy for posters for my college's bookstore last year, the designer always slapped Facebook and Twitter icons on the bottom.

As for the sports icon: Strange they'd add that little gap in his leg. I assume it was to give an impression of depth, but that's really not necessary because we're already all familiar with that type of stick figure.