ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yay ABC Inc!
  • Wow. Damn, that's lazy.

It gets better in motion (although, honestly, the fact that Kill Bill Vol. 1 was part of the promo might be making me reach for good things to say), but as far as the logos themselves, I think there's a lot of wasted potential, especially with those slab serifs.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    enc ore
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I didn't notice that until someone pointed it out.
  • edited 2013-12-12 03:14:24
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    TOLDJA!

(changed the Logopedia link to a Brand New one)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This totally falls under that category of "they should have just done that one all along"...
    It's the second week of December

Seems like as good a time as any to start making our guesses about Brand New's Best and Worst of 2013
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-12-14 17:24:19
    Noodles & Co. had better be on the "Worst" list. Jsaying.
    Heh, I was thinking the same thing.
  • edited 2013-12-14 17:47:04
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Alright, having gone back through the last few pages of this thread, here are my guesses (in no particular order):

WORST:
    Encore, Yahoo!, Noodles & Company

BEST:
    Bing, Mall of America, Billboard
  • edited 2013-12-14 18:23:58
    Encore and Noodles & Company

both Colorado-based companies (Encore is owned by Starz) :(

when will Qdoba or Quiznos whip out a boss identity :P
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Another logo that didn't need to go

Even if tacking the Peacock onto the Golf Channel's old logo always kind of irked me

• jk lol no more peacocks please
  • kill living beings
    imageFormer ISN president Randolf Menzel commissioned the ISN logo in the late 1980s. He wrote, “The idea I had in mind when I talked to the graphics person was to illustrate in an abstract form the concentric shells of different levels in neural systems (from neurons to cognition), the input-output relationships with the external world, and the communication between such abstract subjects in the ‘universe.’”

this is the log of the international society for neuroethology. it looks sketchy to me. criticize

"neuroethology" is a branch of science that seeks to understand the neural basis of natural animal behavior.

That's pretty awesome actually...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    WRIC has been using the same fancy-8 logo since the call-sign change in 1990.
    Oh wow, one of the episodes of Father Knows Best I recorded off of Antenna TV had the Columbia TriStar Television Distribution at the end. You hardly ever see that anymore, and it was everywhere before 2002.

Also, the DVR sometimes catches the end of Bachelor Father, and so I have at least two copies of the long 1960 Revue Studios logo. :D
  • edited 2013-12-20 01:01:40
    Ooh, the Boxes of Boredom. It was so strange when that went from ubiquitous to almost impossible to find in the wild...

The Boxes of Boredom were the very last thing to air on The WB, too...
    And after one of these episodes, they ran...a direct-to-DVD Steven Seagal movie. With the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment logo intact. WHY.
    Reminds me of the time back in like 1998 when I saw something on UPN (I want it was one of those cheesy high school shows) prefaced by a Saban International logo...
  • kill living beings
    no critique huh
    http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/the_best_and_worst_identities_of_2013_part_2_the_worst_reviewed.php

Spoiler:
    I can't believe he put JCPenney higher than Yahoo!. Sure, JCPenney needs to get their shit together (part of me, depressingly, doesn't expect the brand to survive much longer without a miracle turnaround), but Yahoo!'s bevel on that logo is unforgivable.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I kinda like the new Lucky Strike logo, or the old one, as it were...

The Moleskin one didn't bug me, South Australia was bad either way...

Yahoo! deserves the bottom from basically trashing their good logo into...whatever the fuck they're doing now...

Apparently Yahoo! sells skin-care products now. :P
    Two things push Yahoo! over the edge for me:

1. That stupid bevel effect. Not only is it cheesy and unnecessary, but it's not even well-executed, because the lettering is so thin that the bevel is hard to make out at the sizes the logo tends to be rendered at.

2. The "30 days" publicity stunt, which was a cute idea, but ultimately ended up showcasing many nicer logos than the one they ended up going with!
  • Yeah, I also can't help but feel like Yahoo should've been higher.

The logo is pretty much Marissa Mayer's only mistake so far, but hell if it isn't a big one as far as branding is concerned.
    ACK, they didn't re-tag this episode of L&O! Instead of the 2004 NBC Universal logo, I got this fucking thing :P

It's always been weird to me that Law & Order is old enough to have ever had that logo at the end of it.
    Yeah, L&O was on the air for 20 years, when many shows barely make it to a second season.

Also, someone dug this up...an animated version of the 1975 UTV logo:

And that plastering mistake where the 1986 Universal Television theme plays over the 2004 logo is much creepier when you're watching it on a 24-inch HDTV. :P
    Oh wow, look what I found:

"Yeah, it's an old sewing pattern, so what?" Note the "NORTON SIMON INC" logo next to the McCall's header...I've been looking for a picture of it for years. :D
    I.m also pretty sure we had that pattern at one point...that cornucopia is very familiar.
    Aw man, cool!
    Oh wow, this episode of Thriller had the then-current "PRODUCED IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE NBC-TV NETWORK" trailer on it! (This one was from 1961, before The Snake.)
    was this on Me-TV or something?
    Antenna TV, this time. Seems the Revue and UTV libraries are split between Antenna, MeTV and COZI TV.
    Well, NBCU owns COZI TV, so...

Have you seen any DreamWorks Classics stuff show up on COZI? I think they have the rights to some of it...
  • edited 2014-01-04 07:17:58
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Hmmm, apparently they're running The Lone Ranger right now.
    HAY CA:

:D
    Only in the last year or two have I really realized why this thing was so disliked:

It just feels like an overly-corporate watering-down of two impeccably crafted logos...
  • Reminds me of the old Columbia TriStar Home Video logo

Except lighter
  • Ditching the boxes made that one notably better

although I don't think they did the same for the TV division
    the retirement of that one for more "Sony Pictures" bombardment always irked me

I never liked the "Sony Pictures" brand much...

oh god Columbia actually holds a trademark on "Scream Gems"
  • Magic Window?
    A children's home video division:

• O_O

let's stick with Sony Wonder
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-01-05 02:09:42
    preferably the old Sony Wonder

not the new age Smurfs shit they've got now (although the fact that the video player looks like a PSP is admittedly pretty nice)