ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I really liked the Lorimar-Telepictures logo when I was little (and I didn't mind the Lorimar logo, since most of the time it just meant Dallas was off and it was time to go to bed when I was on summer break), and remember wishing they hadn't changed it.
  • edited 2013-05-11 16:28:12
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The "Line of Doom" never really bothered me, though I distinctly remember seeing a version of it that was just a still picture with the music at the end of something in 1998 or so...(it was probably Dallas, which TNN had the rights to at the time)

I remember the Lorimar-Telepictures logo mostly for being joined to the Rankin-Bass logo at the end of ThunderCats, a show I only really saw the last couple minutes of because Mother thought it too violent to let me watch. I distinctly remember being caught off-guard by the long version's streak animation when I saw it at the end of something on TV Land in 2004 (for some reason, logo animations that had any non-straightforward resolution have always kind of bothered me...maybe because they felt rather un-corporate to me).

L-T's logo strikes me as really pompous, but, hey, back in 1986 there were no corporate websites, this was your time to shine...
    It is kind of pompous, but then, I was 9 in 1986 and just thought it was so coooooool.
  • edited 2013-05-15 21:01:41
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's time I caught up on Brand New

Thoughts on the posts incoming
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This isn't bad, but the use of two different shades of orange seems arbitrary and pointless to me.

I mean, they're so similar that I bet a lot of people won't even notice they're different...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've seen that in commercials...always on Ion.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-05-16 02:49:07
    Well, if nothing else, it's a hell of a lot better than that excuse of a brand its parent company has.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-05-23 07:20:56

Not a bad switch, but I can't help but feel like it's an unnecessary one. Nobody pays attention to the Proctor & Gamble side of things (at least, no one I know), so it seems kind of frivolous to bother with changing the whole company's branding. That's just me though, I guess.
    I first saw that logo on their Twitter page a few months ago.

I immediately recognized it as a nod to the old moon-and-stars logo (and due to the SATANISM!!!111! frenzy of the '80s making them change it, found that peculiar)...

P&G's kind of the embodiment of things taken for granted...
  • edited 2013-05-27 02:03:01
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh wow, I was just watching the tail end of Naked City on MeTV, and it had the Coca-Cola Torch Lady on it. I know MeTV has some old stuff, but working from 30-year-old prints (most likely on U-matic or, if you're lucky, Betacam) is something I wasn't expecting.
    You know

It's something of a victory that Sony Pictures Television has, after all these years, let up on plastering

But unfortunately, Comcast is plaster-happy now (being greeted with that boring-ass, exceedingly corporate-looking NBCUniversal Television Distribution logo in place of a Universal logo is frustrating), which is too bad because before they took over NBCU didn't do that...
    Thankfully, so far I've only seen the NBCU logo on first-run stuff like Springer. The old Universal globe hasn't been touched in places like MeTV or Antenna TV.

The NBCU logo is cheap, too. It looks like the sort of thing a local station or a hole-in-the-wall distributor would use, not something big like NBC!
  • edited 2013-05-27 16:06:59
    I've seen it replace Uni/NBCU logos on syndicated reruns of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit...

(maybe even the Studios USA one, if the episodes that get reran are that old)
  • lee4hmz said:

Oh wow, I was just watching the tail end of Naked City on MeTV

?
    I just watched Universal's 75th and 100th anniversary logos back-to-back. 

The 75th Anniversary one has always almost made me cry...

I wonder how they decided on the numbering...the 75th Anniversary one is from 1990, but the 100th Anniversary one is from 2012.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    ®
    TM ®
    ®
    ® TM
    Considering how much the PS4 logo resembles the PS3 one, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a tentative logo.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-05-27 22:45:38
    Same.

OTOH, the Vita uses a similar logo, and the PS3 one only recently came about (they introduced it pretty well into the console's life cycle; the original one was the words PlayStation 3 in the original Spider-Man movies' typeface) so maybe it might be their permanent one.
    I keep forgetting about the original PS4 logo...

"I don’t know about y’all but if I were the owner of the team I would have taken this opportunity to get rid of the cherubs sucking on the chupacabra’s tits."

This is now officially the best thing Armin Vit has ever said in the history of forever.
  • armin, it's an immediately recognizable culture icon ya heathen bastard
  • He addresses this in the review itself.

Still very funny, however.
    http://www.polanerspreads.com/

so. much. Horatio. XD
  • edited 2013-06-01 04:13:02
    Horatio. Must have been part of the basis for Chalet's 1970 fonts...

I can't stop watching the Warner Home Video logo on my PPG DVDs. I admit, I always did like the effect of the Warner Bros. shield materializing out of thin air.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    > website entirely in Flash

Oh hi, 2003! Haven't seen you in a while.
    Anonus said:

I can't stop watching the Warner Home Video logo on my PPG DVDs. I admit, I always did like the effect of the Warner Bros. shield materializing out of thin air.

Me too.
  • Anonus said:

Me too.
    Ditto.
    I was flipping through videos on NetFlix earlier, and I noticed that Leave It to Beaver, of all things, is available in HD. MY first thought was "Is the Revue logo on the last season in HD?" 

It is. XD
    Is this the Revue logo with the jumbled letters?
    ...watching it now, the letters themselves look like they're based on Franklin Gothic, the second-widest width.
    Chrome is complaining about the underconsideration links. I may have to remove them temporarily.
  • Go on ahead, sorry. I know I'm probably one of the bigger offenders.
    Well, it's a virus warning, not a performance issue. 
  • That's still kinda serious though. What happened to UC?
    HAY AU: I'm watching the Crackle print of Stripes, and I noticed that it has the 1982 Columbia Pictures logo at the beginning, but with the fanfare from the 1993 logo on it. I've never seen that variation before.
    Wait what the fuck

Let me go check
    Also, this movie doesn't even try to hide the fact that it was shot in Louisville and not NYC.
    Okay, that wasn't the original '93 version...it was a later one. The original's has that set of notes that play as the camera zooms out from the torch being played on a piano, whereas this later one has them being played on both a piano and a greater selection of instruments.

There also seemed to be a version from when they updated the logo so that she holds the torch differently, which is the other two being played on top of each other.
    Oh right, you live in the Twin Cities

We should go there sometime on the hypothetical CA/Naney meetup that I just made up but wouldn't it be awesome if it did happen
  • yes.

You know, there used to be a Peanuts theme park in there, but they lost the rights to that so now it's a hideous Nickelodeon theme park.
  • Is it a sign of my dumb anorakia that I already knew that without you even mentioning it or ever even visiting MOA? :P

In other news this identity makes me want to visit the MOA even more than I already did. That mall is the closest we're going to get to the Galleria, so I must take a pilgrimage to it at least once.
    Funny, Kings Island (my favorite amusement park) used to have a Nickelodeon-themed section, but now it's Peanuts-themed. (Though it was originally Hanna-Barbera themed even before that.)

Anyone who knows my retail anorakia (i.e. everyone who uses Heapers' Hangout) shouldn't be surprised to learn I'd like to visit the MOA...what i said up there was semi-serious
  • edited 2013-06-15 18:00:56
    hey

what about going to the Mall of America with me

Also, I wish that Hanna-Barbera were still owned by people who considered its non-Scooby-Doo IPs worthy of exploitation in forms other than Pebbles cereal or the occasional bland live-action movie
    I admit, my first thought was going there with you

But Naney happens to already be in the area is all
    http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/double-dip_this.php

The applications are great, and the seal isn't that bad, but...holy crap, DAT LAZYBONES in the old logo! 

Yes, I'm a total sucker for gaudy 1970s display fonts.