ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Trademarks are weird sometimes; StudioCanal owns the Carolco Pictures logo, despite not using it for anything (I think they actively plaster over it)...

• TreTre
    edited 2013-10-06 01:35:17

2008 FTW. I think that version's actually been the one I think of when I think Batman since I was 9, actually. (Even though technically it was designed in '05, but for whatever reason the actual movie didn't use it.)

In addition, they did miss the 2013 Beware the Batman one, though that's forgivable since IIRC the show literally just started a few weeks back:

I'm also pretty fond of the Batman Beyond one too, not only for nostalgia but also because it's one of the more visceral of the bunch. Generally, simplicity seems to be the key with Bats, as far as branding is concerned.

Is it any good? I missed out on The Brave and the Bold and I no longer have pay TV...
  • I haven't gotten the chance to catch it yet. Saturday mornings are terrible for teenage audiences because none of us want to wake up early on weekends.

Ah well. I'll probably see it sometime, at which point I will relay my opinion.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Where the heck did they get that 2005 Batman Begins logo from? I thought BB used exactly the same logo as The Dark Knight (2008).
  • The advertising for BB used the same logo as TDK and TDKR, yeah, but the suit Batsy actually wears in the movie has the logo shown in that infographic.

Strangely, though, the Batarangs used in the movie used the revised version:

Just a weird quirk of that movie they never got the chance to fix until the second one came around, methinks. The case seems to be that the Batsuit logo was originally planned to be used, but the visceral imagery that the Batarang version conveyed ended up winning the team over for the advertising and, ultimately, the rest of the Dark Knight trilogy.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So I noticed JCPenney seems to have reverted to their pre-2011 logo.

When did that happen?
  • No idea. Huh. That's weeeeeird.

The strangest part is that the text on the site seems to all be in Gotham, implying a match with the most recent redesign, but apparently that's not the real logo anymore so it's all disharmonious.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-10-11 16:33:25
    HuffPo (bluh) reported on it yesterday, so it has to be a pretty recent change. Ninja'd!

Ah well. At least now the old signage matches again. I liked the new one but I'm perfectly fine with the old/new new one. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Welp, that's a thing. I guess the big revamp they were hyping last year didn't end up playing out.

I admit, I worry for the chain's future now...Penney's was always a favorite of mine...
  • edited 2013-10-11 16:53:35
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've read lot of headlines/articles saying that they, like Sears Holdings, were circling the drain. However, JCPenney is at least moving its arms in an attempt to swim against the tide, whereas Sears and Kmart just seem to be headed there. I'm not sure if Sears or Kmart will even be around in five years.

(Kmart's probably likelier to die; people are all "boohoo Sears" but too many poor people shop at Kmart and too many of the stores are unrenovated/neglected relics and as a result people consider it a bane)
  • edited 2013-10-11 17:14:39
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Walmart, as maligned as it is, is still better than Kmart. That should say something.

Also, I imagine Sears is still important to people my age and older, since before the mid-1980s you couldn't get, say, Winnie-the-Pooh merchandise anywhere else...and since my aunt worked at Sears, that's where a lot of my baby clothes came from. It's sentimental value more than anything.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (And thanks ever so much, CLEditor, for eating my formatting. :P)
    Is CLEditor usually this fiddly or did Vanilla just ship with a really buggy version of it?
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-10-11 17:27:48
    If the new CEO's "win back the crowd" strategy works, it'll stick around.

For those keeping score, here's a logo history! I had to make the early 2013 one on my own because lolnobodycaredaboutitanyway.

Also, it's worth mentioning that they dropped the square motif in between the 2006 and 2011 redesigns, but I didn't bother including it.

2000 for the win because it reminds me of those one back to school commercials they ran back in like 2004 and 2005 where they had the kids dancing to "The Choice Is Yours (Revisited)" and some other song I enjoyed but couldn't ever find. But still. #it'sallinside 
  • holy crap

the upper part of the Penneys logo is a frakking J

HOW DID I NEVER CATCH THAT JFC
    ...WHOA
  • edited 2013-10-11 17:34:24
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Route 666 said:

Is CLEditor usually this fiddly or did Vanilla just ship with a really buggy version of it?

I'm leaning toward "buggy", since it seems like it's never been tested with later versions of Chrome. None of the weird bugs it has seem to happen on Firefox or Iceweasel...

Tre said:

holy crap

the upper part of the Penneys logo is a frakking J

HOW DID I NEVER CATCH THAT JFC
    Now I can't un-see it!
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    JCPenney: Helvetica, I wish I knew how to quit you.
    I actually miss JCPenney's all-Helvetica days. It's what I grew up with, after all.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-10-17 18:59:32

• it went live on the site today 

totes called it
    Yep!

Honestly I was surprised I didn't see anybody bitching about the new appearance of the Dashboard; you know how Tumblr loves to rant about the smallest changes
    Not actually a logo, but:

dat metro

dat alternate gothic
    no wonder they didn't digitize the original Metro

it's so similar to Futura
    And it was set up with hot-metal type, too; notice how the letters don't line up perfectly, like they would if they were done on a photo-typesetter.
    Anonus said:

no wonder they didn't digitize the original Metro

it's so similar to Futura
    This Metro is pretty close, though it obviously doesn't have all the little Linotype imperfections in it.
    In 1995, KGW spent a bundle on this 8 and grew to hate it

When I first saw it around 2009 (after wondering for years what it looked like due to it being referenced on jcbD's website) I remember finding it to look like the most podunk thing ever
    Also, it's so cluttered

The overly-wordy "Northwest NewsChannel 8" brand debuted with that logo, and there's a triangle for northwest and a green triangle behind the 8 for Mount Hood

Yeesh, at least they got rid of it the year it was introduced
    I always wondered why anyone thinks such cluttered logos are a good idea
  • edited 2013-11-05 06:09:50
    Local television is littered with logos that have either been around forever or aren't built to last

It's depressing...logos that have been around forever aren't necessarily a bad thing, but the ones not being built to last can be.
  • edited 2013-11-05 06:21:14
    Let me rattle off some of my favored local television logos:

KING-TV's "K5" (the older version especially):

KTVU's "Laser 2":

KXAS-TV's "Star 5" (the older version):

The Circle 7:

Those are all pretty cool

I like that star-5
    As of Thor: The Dark World, Marvel Studios has a new logo animation, with its own music to boot

I'm gonna miss the old one, it was much nicer...
    I've seen that; there is now a Noodles & Company five minutes from my house.

I hate the way they cropped the ampersand...
  • The sadness will last forever.

One of the prettiest logos ever.
  • wow, did a company actually switch to capital letters in the 2010s?
    I saw a new Arby's logo in a TV ad:

...why not just go back to the old one?
  • hmm, I actually like that more than the old one
    I'm not sure what to make of that, somehow. My first thought was "at least they realized last year's didn't work."
  • I like it. Amazing what a simple slab serif can do for a logo.

If that were the final product of last year's brouhaha they'd be in much better standing.

Slogan still sucks, but eh.
    Looking for L&O and Universal-related stuff, and oh shit, son:

• edited 2013-12-03 04:33:50
    They were doing plastering even back in the GE/Vivendi days? Shit.
    Well, I think this is a DVD/on-demand print, not the syndication print (Universal hasn't been doctoring those, from what I can tell).
    Also, is it just me or is closinglogos.com's hosting really awful? It keeps dropping packets and making the video embeds not load (since they go through some sort of filter script on the wiki's servers).
    I saw that POS on Logopedia, I forgot to mention it

Good thing ABC Inc is Encore's incoming owner, we can bring back the sunburst motif