ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The YouTube logo is pretty iconic...changing it would throw me off, and they don't really own the play button.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also, while we're on government logos, I must mention this:

Normally I would find it unremarkable, but it seems to be cropping up in places I wouldn't have expected. It's slowly replacing the city seal on city service vehicles, and I've even seen it on a couple of newer police cars in place of the traditional badge emblem.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    COLUMBUS AND IT'S MAYOR LOVE AMERICA.

AND IF YOU DON'T LOVE BOTH COLUMBUS AND IT'S MAYOR, YOU'RE UNAMERICAN! 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^^ What confuses me is the star over "U". What's the significance of "U"?

^ Oh hey, I recognize that. I imagine it was the 1990s and they were not sorry.
  • edited 2013-08-31 02:32:25
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

It signifies that Columbus is that much more patriotic and united.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm looking at old commercials from my brother's collection again, and it's weird how practically everything back in the late 1970s and, well, most of the 1980s had a silly jingle to go with it. Even limited-time-only promotions had freaking jingles!
    I do feel kind of sad that jingles aren't in fashion these days...is that bad?
    No...I actually kind of miss them, myself. Even though they typically tend to show up as jokes now.
    Also, commercials don't fade in and out anymore, they appear and disappear. When did that start to take over?
    Well then.
  • OH SWEET JESUS THAT IS REALLY REAL

FCUKIGN
    You gotta be freaking kidding me

What's up with the "it is 2002 and we are not sorry" bevel effect?
  • i think they are trying to return to their roots

also i went to Yahoo.com for the first time in years to check this out and mother of fuck that is one ugly website
    It weirds me out how portal-y it still is
    I think portal-y is all they know how to do
  • all the designs they got commissioned and they seriously chose to keep THAT ONE?

gdi Marissa
  • Wow. That is...wow.
    A lot of the 30-day gimmick logos were terrible, but I figured that when they got to their final logo they'd put a bit more effort in.

Guess I was expecting too much...
    This Ars Technica piece suggests that the logos leading up to the new one were ones that didn't make the cut for that...

But yeah, I don't like the bouncing Chips Ahoy!-esque exclamation point...

DAT OPTIMA

2002? Try 1982.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

...This looks like someone slapped a logo together out of the options they could find in Word 2003.
    lee4hmz said:

DAT OPTIMA

2002? Try 1982.
    Optima actually looks rather classy if used properly, which it isn't here
  • Optima looks classy when you don't arbitrarily vary the size of the letters like Yahoo(!) did here.
  • god i hate that exclamation point
    Anonus said:

lee4hmz said:

DAT OPTIMA

2002? Try 1982.
    Optima actually looks rather classy if used properly, which it isn't here
    Oh, I know, it's just one of those things I associate with the 1980s (and in a couple of cases, the 1970s; my mom has an old Crisco cookbook that's set entirely in Optima). 
    I associate it with the '80s too, at least when used with some sort of respect...(though the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is probably its best-known use, and one that doesn't date the typeface)

Also, the Day 10 logo tested best with consumers, probably because it bore the closest resemblance to the old logo.
    This bugs me:

They basically stripped it of any and all character it had. :\
  • not like it had much of any to begin with

wut (also HAY IMI)
    ah, Poverty Row
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-09-17 20:47:44

Not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than its predecessor.

The new redesigned search is available at bing.com/preview if anyone cares.
  • i really like that

i wish microsoft could do things that aren't keyboards right consistently
    It's bizarre to see Microsoft, of all companies, using something even resembling consistent branding across their products
  • I knoooooooooow

And it's not terrible branding, either! Metro is probably one of the best things they've come up with in the past few years, which is kind of sad, but not too much because Microsoft.
  • edited 2013-09-18 01:25:18
    A thing I always liked about Microsoft's branding is that it tries to look as different from Apple as possible while still looking just like Apple.
    Tre said:

Not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than its predecessor.

The new redesigned search is available at bing.com/preview if anyone cares.
    I saw this on Logopedia

My first thought upon seeing this was "ding dong, the witch is dead"
    Heh.
  • edited 2013-09-18 20:47:19
    (flower path)
    bing bong, the witch is dead, I think you mean

It's crept into emails now too

Weird that they seem to be using it everywhere except the header of the actual site?

spinor said:

Heh.
  • Maybe they're planning on a radical redesign of the dashboard that'll replace it there too?
  • also that logo now looks obnoxously like tumb1r sometimes
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i somehow didn't notice that before and now i can't unsee it

It's crept into emails now too

Weird that they seem to be using it everywhere except the header of the actual site?

spinor said:

Heh.
    Is Tumblr introducing a new logo because this one's more of something they can own, as opposed to just "tumblr." set in Bookman?

Also, part of me wonders if Lucasfilm's going to get a new logo at some point. It's rather ostentatious compared to Disney's other brands, at least their cinematic ones:

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Personally, I'm kind of surprised at how long the Marvel logo has endured. They've been using that wordmark since the 1960s, as demonstrated with this 1966 cover of The Amazing Spider-Man. 

Personally, I'm kind of surprised at how long the Marvel logo has endured. They've been using that wordmark since the 1960s, as demonstrated with this 1966 cover of The Amazing Spider-Man. 

It is quite nice that they never tried to "modernize" it in the '90s or '00s, really
  • It's probably because it's simple enough and so associated with the brand that there was no need.

Plus, it makes for a fantastic vessel to nod to each comic in the movie logos (from what I recall, they change it for every movie they make/license) since it's blocky enough to fit the panels.
    ITC Officina Sans in 2012? Huh...
    Well, it's a reintroduction of the GI logo from 1995-ish. What I find interesting is, why would ARRIS re-register those marks unless they wanted to use them?