The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• but like what is the point of contention here

he's white and said the N-word, I think people have a right to be at the very least irritated
  • edited 2017-06-04 04:26:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

but like what is the point of contention here

he's white and said the N-word, I think people have a right to be at the very least irritated
    Oh, I totally agree with that part. I would probably be even more disappointed and offended were I black myself, given how flippant and glib the remark was, but I'm not happy with this, to put it mildly. What I'm annoyed about is something very different which sort of overlaps with this situation, where the justified outrage begins blending with something more reductive and personally annoying.

^ See, that's fair.
  • Jane said:

Oh, I totally agree with that part. I would probably be even more disappointed and offended were I black myself, given how flippant and glib the remark was, but I'm not happy with this, to put it mildly. What I'm annoyed about is something very different which sort of overlaps with this situation, where the justified outrage begins blending with something more reductive and personally annoying.
    I mean sure, but this isn't like "people trying to say that Rebecca Sugar is an abusive employer"-tier here, Bill Maher has actual obvious problems that you don't actually need to watch his show at length to notice.

And I think your responses are veering very close to the sort of blanket "you can't criticize things you haven't experienced to my satisfaction" rebuttals that I think we can all agree don't actually solve anything.

For instance, you are claiming he has more articulated views than the usual anti-vaxxer muslim-hating strawman he is painted as, but you haven't spoken on what those actually are, which would help make your point. Instead you've just kind of been yelling at Tatterhood.
  • Jane said:

I care about your opinions more than i care about anyone else's in the entire world, but your opinions on peoples reactions to a white guy saying the N-word, are of precisely equal weight to the opinions of a straight person on peoples reactions to another straight person saying the word faggot.

I mean, if someone were to do that, I'd be pissed as hell, and I'm be pretty sure you'd be pissed as hell too.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Please go get some food and/or listen to music or whatever you need to Vash. <_> Also gonna second Tamlin and leave it at that. Like, I get your frustration with how the dude has been talked about here (even if I don't see eye-to-eye with you on him), and associated issues, but this seems... like a bad time in a very ineffective way and mostly I want you to get yourself happier somehow first.
  • edited 2017-06-04 04:34:03
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

Jane said:

I mean sure, but this isn't like "people trying to say that Rebecca Sugar is an abusive employer"-tier here, Bill Maher has actual obvious problems that you don't actually need to watch his show at length to notice.

And I think your responses are veering very close to the sort of blanket "you can't criticize things you haven't experienced to my satisfaction" rebuttals that I think we can all agree don't actually solve anything.

For instance, you are claiming he has more articulated views than the usual anti-vaxxer muslim-hating strawman he is painted as, but you haven't spoken on what those actually are, which would help make your point. Instead you've just kind of been yelling at Tatterhood.
    Tamlin said:

Jane said:

I care about your opinions more than i care about anyone else's in the entire world, but your opinions on peoples reactions to a white guy saying the N-word, are of precisely equal weight to the opinions of a straight person on peoples reactions to another straight person saying the word faggot.

I mean, if someone were to do that, I'd be pissed as hell, and I'm be pretty sure you'd be pissed as hell too.
    I could get into my specific thoughts here, but given how I feel right now even outside of this, I'll just drop this, I think. It's not worth it.

^ Sure.

This was a bad time for me to talk about this anyway.
    Take care.
  • kill living beings
    more like bill... badher
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Sorry for being a jackass, guys. I didn't think through what I was saying at all and I behaved really poorly.

I guess I'll just sum up my thoughts on the matter the way I would have had I given myself a few minutes to think instead of getting riled and stupid.

I'm a fan of Real Time as a show, but I'm not a fan of Bill Maher. This frustrates me further because 75% of the time Maher's opinions are perfectly fine (mostly standard progressive stuff) and then 25% of the time they're loathsome or mortifying or just bizarre (his various /r/atheist bugbears, whiteboy freeze-peach shit, erratic anti-science loopiness) but I don't really know of any shows quite like his on television. I got defensive because I felt like I was personally being attacked for enjoying the show despite my issues with the host when that wasn't the case, and I wound up defending the very things I dislike most about the programme and its host.

Hope this clears some things up.
    I get you.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    This was also literally the worst time for me to talk about this given the "OH GOD NO REALLY NO" situation attached to it, but again: I was being irrational and asinine and all-around unpleasant and I am really sorry about that.
  • everyone has those nights, Sred -- I wasn't here for most of the conversation but I think it's fair to say that it was just a momentary lapse, nothing more, and you can be forgiven for that

:>
    No big.
  • if all goes well, I should be able to be a hardcore couch potato all day tomorrow
  • On break at work and phphphphphphphphphphphp my medication wore off somewhere around lunch break and I'm going a million miles an hour holy FUCK

It's not altogether awful I just. Need it to stop eventually.
  • Think the recent increase in dosage might have been a bad idea. Lost my appetite and stopped eating and I was so weak I had to go home early last night huuuuuuhhhhhgggh
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:

Did you know that legend has it that the ancient manazons would cut off their testicles to be better horse riders?

• Just lost like three hours of Final Fantasy VI progress.

This game can eat my ass.
  • Was at the part where you fall off the airship. Last save was before getting Strago and Relm. Fuck. Me.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Did you know that legend has it that the ancient manazons would cut off their testicles to be better horse riders?

lolz
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Current status: waiting outside the Minute Clinic at a CVS Pharmacy to try and find out what's wrong with me this week

I love having insurance; it's nice to actually be able to afford to seek medical treatment instead of just waiting these things out
  • maybe this is me being overinvested in masculinity or w/e but even with insurance I'd rather wait things out unless I was like, actually dying
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have little patience for illness

If there is something I can do to get myself feeling better more quickly, I'll do it
    Same.
    Update: Nurse Practitioner says it's probably a viral infection and I should just wait another couple days for it to clear up...if it's not better by Thursday, I can try prescription antibiotics
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

If there is something I can do to get myself feeling better more quickly, I'll do it

same, also even knowing what's going on helps me a lot
    I tend to wait things out unless they get really really bad, in which case I'll probably just die I suppose.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Steven Universe is utter GAHBAGE and TRAAASH because it doesn't have Gmelinite.
    I'm going to call Rebecca Sugar and demand she remedy this as soon as possible
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Before I forget: Last night, I dreamed I was BFFs with Ariana Grande, somehow, and that some people who hated "revealing clothes" were protesting her concert for some reason and I felt threatened by them.
    ah, moral guardians!
  • A scrub:

• a guy (thinks he's fly)
    • also known as a buster
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    no, I don't want your number

no, I'm not gonna give you mine
    pretty fly for a white guy
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    RESURGAM.
  • Jane said:

A scrub:

• also known as a buster
    i had to explain this to my sister in the car earlier, made her listen to the song
    What would have convinced George Lucas to sell Lucasfilm to someone besides Disney?

I think it would be a very long shot, given the nature of the negotiations between Lucas and Iger, but it could be done, in theory at least.
    Who else would even have been interested?
    Jane said:

A scrub:

• also known as a buster
    ghost, busters

Who else would even have been interested?

Time Warner or Viacom if they didn't have their heads up their asses
    Fox by default
    bein' a 🐄
    emoji

siivagunner mixes are the most ridiculous things