The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• kill living beings
    i have a confession

a few hours ago i saw something like "The Thing (1982): The boys crack open a cold one, with disastrous consequences" and i'm still low key chuckling
  • where did this "crack open a cold one" meme come from anyway

I feel very out of the loop
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I think, "Cold One", is from Homestar Runner.
  • it doesn't help that I associate the phrase "cold one" very strongly with homestar runner but this is clearly unrelated
  • lol got ninja'd on that one
  • it's a nowhere meme, it didn't come from anything, it just kind of spontaneously generated
  • kill living beings
    it's just like, heh. the phrase usually entails "the boys" as a group of males friendly in an american culture way, and "cold one" as a can of mass produced beer, but in context "the boys" is a group of researchers in antarctica and the "cold one" is a shapeshifting alien trying to kill them. comedy gold.
  • No I got that, it's just that the phrase "cold one with the boys" suddenly started appearing in every other tweet on my timeline last week and I'm still a little confused as to why.
  • kill living beings
    someone made an image macro somebody else liked and things escalated and by next week i'll be linked a retrospective in The Atlantic about Dr. Pepper's disastrous "cold one" marketing campaign
  • My dreams exceed my real life

No I got that, it's just that the phrase "cold one with the boys" suddenly started appearing in every other tweet on my timeline last week and I'm still a little confused as to why.

It's the sequel to Playing With The Boys
  • kill living beings
    by next month i will have been shot in the street by a man calling himself Dark Steven for making this joke about the rapid progression of the meme despite that I only refer to it indirectly, igniting a national debate on the role of mental illness in twitter culture

the singularity is here
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Crack open a cold bear with the boys.
  • this is the future Gibson warned us about
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    was that before or after they made the Les Paul

by next month i will have been shot in the street by a man calling himself Dark Steven for making this joke about the rapid progression of the meme despite that I only refer to it indirectly, igniting a national debate on the role of mental illness in twitter culture

the singularity is here
    HEY TZETZE says Jack Ruby, as he guns you down in the street
  • how can we revive "the prettiest girl in thew heolse wor"
  • kill living beings
    a year hence, high speed meme traders will use next-generation simulated annealing algorithms on their quantum coprocessors to generate, react to, and remix memes faster than any human could. only the top 1% of socioeconomically advantaged humans will have the money for brain-machine interface rigs allowing them to laugh at these algorithmically perfected jokes. the rest of us will have to settle for backalley doctors jamming stolen memeputers into our heads, or never laugh again. or heroin.
    the future is grimdark indeed
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Crack open a cold bear with the boys.

like she wouldn't crack you open instead?
    as long as it's not a Cracked article we'll be fine
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Jane said:

how can we revive "the prettiest girl in thew heolse wor"

we can't; thanks to tankies, stalin actually is a nazi now
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

a year hence, high speed meme traders will use next-generation simulated annealing algorithms on their quantum coprocessors to generate, react to, and remix memes faster than any human could. only the top 1% of socioeconomically advantaged humans will have the money for brain-machine interface rigs allowing them to laugh at these algorithmically perfected jokes. the rest of us will have to settle for backalley doctors jamming stolen memeputers into our heads, or never laugh again. or heroin.

the only downside is that your head explodes after 10 seconds
    your head asplode
  • Cheeky Nando's

Alexandra: Is there something that you wish players would stop doing?

Yoko: I’d like for them to stop saying things like “shut up old hag!” to their moms and others.

• Well, I've just given myself a concussion.
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-06-03 20:33:45
    honestly how the fuck does Bill Maher still have a job at this point

I love you HBO but... u buggin
    Toolsie said:

Well, I've just given myself a concussion.

:(

are you going to be okay?
    Tre said:

honestly how the fuck does Bill Maher still have a job at this point

I love you HBO but... u buggin

Because Time Warner
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus, that doesn't actually explain anything.

As for the recent Bill Maher thing... I really don't have anything to say. I'm not shocked, and only mildly surprised, but I am vaguely disappointed in a manner I find difficult to accurately articulate.
  • kill living beings
    i got as far as him calling himself a "house nigger" because i mean why watch more, but did he keep going or what

They're mediocre and don't give a shit about anything
    He didn't, apparently? Like, that's the issue.
  • kill living beings
    right
    Anonus said:

They're mediocre and don't give a shit about anything
    That's *really* inside baseball, though. It's not an explanation if you have to explain your explanation, particularly if that second explanation is in itself reductive and vague. It also doesn't actually make sense as an answer to the question because extremely large companies tend not to be micromanaged; if anything, it's an HBO thing specifically.

Which is all sort of beside the point, which is that one of my most problematic of sort-of-faves has yet again made an exquisite ass of himself.
    I have always hated Bill Maher and want his show canceled

At any rate, sometimes I can't adequately describe the inside baseball
    I'm at Popeyes

Their TV is on CN

Furry Heartthrob Nicole Watterson is on

Also they played an ad for McDonald's, prompting me to create that thread
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

I have always hated Bill Maher and want his show canceled

At any rate, sometimes I can't adequately describe the inside baseball
    You're way more restrained than I am.
  • edited 2017-06-04 02:29:07
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    My issue with the inside baseball is that it's inappropriate here because you're the only person who seems to have the context for it and it's not even applicable from what you've indicated so it just sounds like you're shouting random company names.

I have a long and fairly complicated history with Bill Maher, but I guess my basic stance on him is that I like his show as a platform for interesting discussions and arguments between guests a lot more than I have ever liked him as a personality, but I also think that despite his being a huge asshole, a lot of people turn Maher into this scapegoat for everything wrong with "limousine liberals" when his actual views are significantly less black-and-white than that because he's very easy to just be angry at and turn into some kind of symbol, and that honestly just makes me want to roll my eyes more often than not.
  • ok but maybe the reason people hate bill maher is actually because he thinks all muslims are evil and also that germs don't exist
  • well tbf sredni still loves me even though i have repeatedly stated my desire to own many guns and drive around in a humvee

once he sees the good in you he is a persistent mister
  • edited 2017-06-04 03:42:37
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    His more distasteful views and comments are definitely worth examining and criticizing, but I wouldn't think Vash is unaware of his faults or varied missteps. I mean, as much falls under the personality bit as distinct from his show proper which, if you can tolerate Maher, I can definitely see liking if the guests are worth the time (which I am inclined to trust Vash on).

Granted, I find this latest instance to be a liiiiittle bit more than that even if you interpret it most charitably (and I have a few other issues with the above comment but that's :effort: tonight). Still, Vash's conscious complications in regards to the dude are why I keep my distaste for Maher to my personal thread and am usually mum during chats like these. It just seems fair, and least likely to involve wasting anyone's time on restating bad things as bad things.

^ And also that.
    (2015 self)
    Sredni seems to have the patience of a Saint, and a lot of goodwill towards mankind.  

It's honestly kind of baffling.
    (2015 self)
    But yeah, Bill Maher coined the term, "Pillbillies", so yeah, my enduring and infinite hate.  
  • edited 2017-06-04 03:34:44
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    You know what deserves infinite hate?  Tripleposts.

You know what Aliroz does?

Tripleposts, and RESURGAM.
  • It's just like, the dude is colossally racist, and has been for years. There's a point at which it's not worth defending someone, even if you honestly feel that people are being unfair to him. And accusing his critics of "scapegoating" really rubs me the wrong way.
  • edited 2017-06-04 03:42:03

if he was as virulently antisemitic as he is virulently islamophobic, i dont think we'd be having this conversation right now, for obvious reasons
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-06-04 03:49:07
    I'm sorry y'all

didn't mean to make this a production, I just thought what he said was stupid (one of many stupid things he has said)

ok but maybe the reason people hate bill maher is actually because he thinks all muslims are evil and also that germs don't exist

It's just like, the dude is colossally racist, and has been for years. There's a point at which it's not worth defending someone, even if you honestly feel that people are being unfair to him. And accusing his critics of "scapegoating" really rubs me the wrong way.

I really don't want to have to explain Maher's views point for point, but having watched his show for a very long time, albeit on and off and with a healthy degree of scepticism, I get the very strong sense that you're a lot more familiar with secondhand commentary on his most inflammatory comments (as expressed in an exaggerated and confrontational public persona) than what the man actually believes. There are aspects of his beliefs and behaviour which I have no interest in defending and are indeed quite unpleasant, but that requires engaging with what the man actually says and does rather than "lol racist anti-vaxxer" strawman shit.

I haven't eaten enough today so maybe I'm snappier than usual, but I really don't need to be morally condescended to for having a nuanced opinion about someone with problematic views or pointing out that people tend to simplify those views rather than actually criticise them for what they are, which you just did.
    I think

This is getting a bit snippy