The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Pfffft.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

my favorite episode is the one where arthur imagines buster returning from a space mission, and he's a huge twisted mutant with seven arms, because i'm genuinely not sure if i imagined it

Oh, no, I remember that bit very well. It's apparently an homage to a famous short story or something but I can't remember what.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Probably by Ray Bradbury
  • "My father was Vietnam-era Army and was indeed insulted on a regular basis due to his service. He is now an anti-war leftist."
  • officially a Boring Work Day

reading a book
  • kill living beings
    hm, found it, it was Buster's Back. unsurprisingly it's not as horrible as i remember

i definitely did not remember the opening theme being reggae, incidentally
  • are you telling me you haven't had the Arthur theme constantly playing in your head for decades because tbh I find that hard to imagine
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I know nothing of Arthur
  • he's so cool they named a king after him
    No wait, I do know something. My family used to know this kid who was a big Arthur fan. Unfortunately he also had muscular dystrophy and died a few years ago at the age of 17.

/random downer
    imageGond approximates the golden ratio although it is in fact made of mud and dung and rocks and bones and not gold at all.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Jane said:

have you seen the image where Ryuko talks about her fursona and it's Shadow?
  • i just ate a donut with bacon on it
  • kill living beings
    did it suck
  • it was pretty good actually
  • kill living beings
    nice
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This birb be basically sick.
  • hm, found it, it was Buster's Back. unsurprisingly it's not as horrible as i remember

i definitely did not remember the opening theme being reggae, incidentally

the opening theme is legitimately great
    Calica said:

Jane said:

have you seen the image where Ryuko talks about her fursona and it's Shadow?
    I have not
  • kill living beings
    (i love it)

(it's by this person)
  • kill living beings
    in the course of finding that in my twitter favs i also found this footage from a classic fighting game again
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^^ Classic.
    The dragons flew with desperate haste, but as they passed the great Sea or came from the eternal snows of Greenland; whether they came across the far East from the ancient realm of Zhongguo or from the sun-heated realms of the south, or from antipode's reversal, all faltered, all failed, landing in their fatigue or plummeting from the sky. 

For Nixon had signed the Document, and Fiat Money ruled the day. With no intrinsic recognition of the value of pure-strain gold, dragons could only sleep, deathless and waiting, for the rise and return of gold-backed currencies - if not under Man, then under the Beetles that would succeed them.
    Nixon, the great dragonslayer
  • I like learning weird facts about philosophers.

Like, did you know that Kant was basically the Clock King from B:TAS? Or that John Stuart Mill hated public schooling?
    Yes, because I am me
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    No, but that's neat!
  • Alduin said:

I like learning weird facts about philosophers.

Like, did you know that Kant was basically the Clock King from B:TAS? Or that John Stuart Mill hated public schooling?
    And now I'm thinking 'what if Batman's villains were all based on famous psychologists'
  • noted psychologist and philosopher Jack Napier.
    Which philosopher was The Joker?
    Kant was not a psychologist
  • edited 2017-04-18 20:11:30
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    < eightyearoldme>

The word you're looking for is Psychiatrist.

In England, it's Harry Potter and the Psychiatrist's stone.

< /eightyearoldme>

< nineyearoldme>

Actually, it's Physicist.  Eight year old me wasn't as clever as I thought I was.

< /nineyearoldme>
    Sorcerer, of course.
  • Odradek said:

Kant was not a psychologist

he is (was?) now
  • his deep insight into the human mind, forged from his many friendships w/ real people and his journeys far and wide
    Wikipedia tries to prove he wasn't actually boring by citing facts like "He had friends" and "He once traveled 20 kms to tutor someone in Philosophy"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When you get a voicemail and you're like "ooh, is that someone calling about a job?" but it turns out to just be a wrong number
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Went to Target
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What'd you get?
    boopin'
    imageIf you lined up roughly ten thousand M&Ms around Gond it would be a huge waste since nobody in Gond knows what chocolate is.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    what's a gond
    Gond is Gond
  • the forgotten realms deity of... blacksmithing iirc?
    Jane said:

yeah like actually though what is gond

Did you know that cameras used to make your eyes look lazy? It could be true!

Once upon there was a man. A man with a beard. A man who loved rocks a lot. A whole damned lot. His name was Henry Benedict Medlicott, believe it or not, and he loved rocks so much he went to India to see some exciting new ones, and there he fucked around considerably until 1872, when he noticed some rocks that didn't quite seem to fit into the older, Cambrian-ish stone of the Vindhyan supergroup. Well, this younger Permian-oid to Triassic-or-so stone needed a name, which Medlicott suggested be 'Gondwana.' 

Actually he was completely wrong about how this all worked but let's leave that aside for the moment

A dozen or so years after that, some other guy called Edward Suess popped up and noted that this funny little kind of seed fern called Glossopteris was found throughout the Permian stone of Africa, South America, and India. He figured they were all wedged together at some point, and called the hypothetical southern supercontinent 'Gondwanaland,' likely because everyone had already realized that 'Gondwana' was a very satisfying word to say and should be said as often as possible in as many ways as possible. 

The picture on the left is the only image here that isn't rubber-stamped fifty times over with giant PUBLIC DOMAIN labels so have a nice citation

But all of that doesn't matter that much because the actual, factual origin of the term 'Gond' - and henceforth, Gondwana, and so on, Gondwanaland - is the Gond (or Gondi) people of India.
  • I was 5 and he was 6
    imageRex was the tallest Citizen of Gondwana ever appointed to his post. He was also the shortest. Also, the onliest.