The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• there Tennant's now fucko
  • kill living beings
    i can imagine christians not knowing such things
  • kill living beings
    as a hopefully-former annoying atheist i think i have a pretty good idea of just how easy it is to avoid spirituality or discussions of it
  • Tamlin said:

Jane said:

Tamlin said:

I know I sometimes overestimate what people in general know, but I assume, given the overwhelmingly christian character of the entirety of the Western world, that people are aware of the general fundamentals of how christianity works

again you'd be amazed
    ok but like

who are these people then?

what do they think about the world?
    people who are raised in atheistic households--at least around here--tend to not know the first thing

like they know that Jesus existed and was important but that's about all, in my experience.
  • kill living beings
    yeah that's true too, i can imagine not knowing the "jesus died for your sins" part at least

or at least writing it off as a weird phrase not corresponding to a tenet
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I was raised in a household where the Christian aspect of my family was almost entirely cultural—my mom considers herself a lapsed pagan—and while the Jewish side is arguably more spiritual, my dad's family is Reform and left the synagogue decades ago when they wouldn't sit shiva for my great-aunt.
  • kill living beings
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I think I'm gonna die
  • kill living beings
    desist
    but I probably won't
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tamlin said:

Tennessee

gadget
    inspector
    don adams
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Gary Owens
    D. B. Cooper
  • edited 2017-04-16 23:28:56
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    John Goodman.

Anyways, no Easter doodle for Google today.  Once again, the conditions of the prophecy are delayed.
    What prophecy is that?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    The one of my death.
    Well, that's good, we don't want you to die just yet.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm going to get a new laptop, but not for a few months.

So Chrysanthemum Rose is now Chrysanthemum Lame Duck, until August.
    (2015 self)
    The prophecy of Donald Trump's death foretells that he will be defeated by the daughter of a Latina journalist and a black muslim.
  • grad student: says she'll be in room 69 if we have any questions

me, actually out loud: Nice.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I can't think of any buildings on my college's campus that have two-digit room numbers
  • edited 2017-04-17 17:18:26
    kill living beings
    i did a few pushups yesterday and my arms are still sore. how do i normally even have the upper body strength to type. i am a squid person. made of jellyflesh
    the cow/squid alliance
  • https://qz.com/960303/bill-nye-on-philosophy-the-science-guy-says-he-has-changed-his-mind/

it is good in these trying times to be reminded that people can learn things and change their minds after saying something dumb
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    That is why he is better than Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
    i'm so excited about the fact that PBS brought back the PBS Kids channel but frustrated that Rocky Mountain PBS does not yet carry it
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tamlin said:

https://qz.com/960303/bill-nye-on-philosophy-the-science-guy-says-he-has-changed-his-mind/

it is good in these trying times to be reminded that people can learn things and change their minds after saying something dumb

Bill Nye is a good dude and I am glad that he's seriously come around on this because we need more scientists who seriously understand philosophy and, more importantly, actively demonstrate intellectual curiosity in general.
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

i'm so excited about the fact that PBS brought back the PBS Kids channel but frustrated that Rocky Mountain PBS does not yet carry it

PBS kids was a staple of my childhood.
  • edited 2017-04-17 23:10:22
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "People who participate in, write about, and educate others in science as a professional pursuit" isn't so concise, Jane.
    (2015 self)
    PWPIWAAEOISAAPP is a fantastic acronym, though.
    Aliroz said:

Anonus said:

PBS kids was a staple of my childhood.
    I need PBS Kids

I need reruns of Clifford that DON'T have squished credits

Also I wish they would ban that stupid program-length "e|i" bug

PBS is supposed to not degrade its product like that >:(
  • kill living beings
    usually i'd think "science educator" or "science communicator" or some thin like that
  • might as well just go with "science guy" in this case
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Dude's a qualified mechanical engineer, it's kinda a thin line in the first place.
  • kill living beings
    engineers are so not scientists
  • edited 2017-04-17 23:27:35
    (2015 self)
    The best episode of Arthur was the the one with an absurdly long name where they make a music festival in the basement.

When I was a kid, that episode almost never aired, and when it did, you called all your friends and told them to watch it, because this was before youtube.

Nothing on Television ever got me as hyped as seeing "Double Tibble Trouble" come on, because that was the episode that came before the aforementioned greatness.

Had the intermountain west had a coherent PBS Kids television schedule when I was young, it wouldn't have been such an experience.
  • kill living beings
    my favorite episode is the one where arthur imagines buster returning from a space mission, and he's a huge twisted mutant with seven arms, because i'm genuinely not sure if i imagined it
    the episode where Arthur freaks out about the bus has stuck with me for ages
  • edited 2017-04-17 23:43:46
    (2015 self)
    The one that got to me was the episode where Arthur loses a library book.  There were some messed up dreams in that one, in addition to the idea of never being allowed to check out a book again.

Heck, a lot of the dreams in Arthur were legitimately scary.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

The best episode of Arthur was the the one with an absurdly long name where they make a music festival in the basement.

When I was a kid, that episode almost never aired, and when it did, you called all your friends and told them to watch it, because this was before youtube.

Nothing on Television ever got me as hyped as seeing "Double Tibble Trouble" come on, because that was the episode that came before the aforementioned greatness.

Had the intermountain west had a coherent PBS Kids television schedule when I was young, it wouldn't have been such an experience.
    JEKYLL JEKYLL HYDE JEKYLL HYDE HYDE JEKYLL
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

JEKYLL JEKYLL HYDE JEKYLL HYDE HYDE JEKYLL
    That's the one!  This guy gets it.
    I loved Arthur as a kid, so much that I literally tried to use magic to turn myself into Arthur.

Basically, I was fictionkin before it was cool.